shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs different mm sizes side by side

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Stone Hunter This thread is making me want second piercings in my ears. I don't believe that was your intent...

I am right there with you in thinking about another piercing! Wondering how to combine gemstones and diamonds. :lol:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to play! The larger ones are 1.80 ctw (so 0.90 each) GIA “excellent” J SI1s from IDJ, with an average diameter of 6.12 - 6.16 mm (I think they are a little deep but they are very sparkly and were a great price) and the smaller ones are 0.82 ctw (one is 0.405 and one is 0.415) AGS J VS2 and I SI1 with an average diameter of 4.76-4.80 mm from the BGD signature H&A line. All are extremely dirty and the BGD ones are missing the backs .
CEBD6405-A713-4859-965E-EC51E056440D.jpeg
78009705-63C4-41A0-9812-4AFAD46F883F.jpeg
49094D27-53A1-4ABF-A7D5-F5EE250A3746.jpeg CADE88E0-2EAB-495A-9119-D62123A74BAD.jpeg

Thanks that's a great comparison! The 1.35 mm jump is very visible!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Stone Hunter, my wife and I went shopping for studs a couple of years ago. At first we were looking for about 2 tcw, but as we compared different options DW came to the conclusion they weren't quite big enough. :bigsmile: We asked the jeweler we were working with to bring in different size stones, 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, and 1.50 ct to do a side by side comparison. We could definitely see a size difference between the stones, and DW tried each stone in turn to see how it looked on her ear. Eventually she decided that a 1.40 ct stone was the perfect size for her earlobe, and she would never want anything bigger. ;)2

Here is some data I put together during our search showing diamond diameter vs carat and also giving the face up area for each size. To compare how different sizes might compare it would be best to look at their areas.

Screenshot (19).png

During our search one time we found two diamonds of different carats that looked to be the same size. I then discovered the %Depth of a diamond can have a significant effect on its face up size, Here's a little chart I put together showing that effect.

Screenshot (17).png

Hope this helps

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have so many pictures comparing diamond sizes! :lol: But here are my studs, all WF ACAs:

.80 (6mm) and .65 (about 5.6mm)

WF.80&.65.jpg

Current pair, 1.28 cts (each)...

IMG_1414.JPG

GREAT photos. I couldn't even fit that 1.28 ct each set on my earlobe! I really don't see much of a difference between the .80 stone (6 mm) and the .65 stone (5.6 mm) and that's exactly what I'm wondering for myself now. Do I want to be at 5.11 mm or 5.48 mm or 6 mm? The 6 mm covers almost my whole ear lobe.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Stone Hunter, my wife and I went shopping for studs a couple of years ago. At first we were looking for about 2 tcw, but as we compared different options DW came to the conclusion they weren't quite big enough. :bigsmile: We asked the jeweler we were working with to bring in different size stones, 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, and 1.50 ct to do a side by side comparison. We could definitely see a size difference between the stones, and DW tried each stone in turn to see how it looked on her ear. Eventually she decided that a 1.40 ct stone was the perfect size for her earlobe, and she would never want anything bigger. ;)2

Here is some data I put together during our search showing diamond diameter vs carat and also giving the face up area for each size. To compare how different sizes might compare it would be best to look at their areas.

Screenshot (19).png

During our search one time we found two diamonds of different carats that looked to be the same size. I then discovered the %Depth of a diamond can have a significant effect on its face up size, Here's a little chart I put together showing that effect.

Screenshot (17).png

Hope this helps

Yes that is helpful. I am focusing on well cut stones for my upgrade so the depths and the face up size are all pretty close. Now if I could only make my earlobe a bit larger...LOL

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 6 mm stone in a basket setting, as you can see I can't go larger. I might feel more comfortable with my casual lifestyle going a bit smaller. Yeah I know that's PS heresy but at this size I'm worried about the back showing from the front.

20180720_154451.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20180720_154451-jpg.638815

Yes that's a big consideration, DW has a pair of 5.5 mm studs she wears all the time, the 7.15 mm pair only come out when we go somewhere swanky for dinner!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 6 mm stone in a basket setting, as you can see I can't go larger. I might feel more comfortable with my casual lifestyle going a bit smaller. Yeah I know that's PS heresy but at this size I'm worried about the back showing from the front.

It does look like you really don't have much more space to work with there! Lucky you :bigsmile:

Thank you for sharing my studs :kiss2:

The measurements are:

0.50ct K VS2 ..... 5.08 x 5.11 x 3.17 mm

0.20ct J VS2 ..... 3.79 x 3.80 x 2.33 mm
Oh no, it looks like I posted the wrong carat weight originally! I had the smaller pair at 0.3ctw. For future readers!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing my studs :kiss2:

The measurements are:

0.50ct K VS2 ..... 5.08 x 5.11 x 3.17 mm

0.20ct J VS2 ..... 3.79 x 3.80 x 2.33 mm

THANKS that's very helpful. Love those settings.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
These are all so beautiful! I would be so scared to wear huge diamonds on my ears as I lose earrings quite often!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are all so beautiful! I would be so scared to wear huge diamonds on my ears as I lose earrings quite often!!
DW has screw back studs and has never lost an earring. It can however take some time to put them on....whilst I wait patiently!!! :mrgreen2:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.5mm 1.1ct vs 7mm 1.32ct
1ct 6.5mm JSI1.jpg 1.32ct 7mm HSI2.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! The second stone (7mm 1.32 ct) looks so white and sparkly. I think that makes it look much larger than just .5 mm larger. Is it just the photo?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing this! The second stone (7mm 1.32 ct) looks so white and sparkly. I think that makes it look much larger than just .5 mm larger. Is it just the photo?
It's mostly lighting as both stones are ideal cut GIA XXX. There's a color difference between the stones but it wasn't as noticable IRL. 6.5mm is J/SI1 and 7mm is H/SI2.
I think below might be a slightly better lit photo of smaller stone.
20150215_104614.jpg 1.32ct 7mm HSI2.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's mostly lighting as both stones are ideal cut GIA XXX. There's a color difference between the stones but it wasn't as noticable IRL. 6.5mm is J/SI1 and 7mm is H/SI2.
I think below might be a slightly better lit photo of smaller stone.
20150215_104614.jpg 1.32ct 7mm HSI2.jpg

Thanks I'm finding it's SUPER hard to take photos of my own ears! So I appreciate your posting better photos. Do you still have your 6.5 mm stones? Or do you wear your 7 mm stones for every day? I am really struggling to decide on what size works for every day.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest way to take pics is in front of a mirror with your iPhone screen facing the mirror so you can see what you're taking!

I love the 6mm size on you and think you could easliy do 6.5 someday, if you wanted!:lol: My youngest has little lobes and I think that is good, because I am planning to give both my girls a pair of studs for some big birthday and hers won't need to be very big!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks I'm finding it's SUPER hard to take photos of my own ears! So I appreciate your posting better photos. Do you still have your 6.5 mm stones? Or do you wear your 7 mm stones for every day? I am really struggling to decide on what size works for every day.
I traded in the smaller pair for the larger so 7mm ones have been my everyday studs for the past few years. My suggestion for your dilemma is to buy a set of cz studs in various sizes and test drive them for couple of weeks. This way you know what works for your earlobes and lifestyle. QVC and Amazon sell their own brands of very nicely cut cz studs.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The easiest way to take pics is in front of a mirror with your iPhone screen facing the mirror so you can see what you're taking!

I love the 6mm size on you and think you could easliy do 6.5 someday, if you wanted!:lol: My youngest has little lobes and I think that is good, because I am planning to give both my girls a pair of studs for some big birthday and hers won't need to be very big!

LOL I tried that this morning and got terrible photos! I'm going to try taking pictures in the car this afternoon.

I also think that 4 prongs makes round stones (in my photos) look a bit square. Thanks for your vote of 6 mm or 6.5 mm.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I traded in the smaller pair for the larger so 7mm ones have been my everyday studs for the past few years. My suggestion for your dilemma is to buy a set of cz studs in various sizes and test drive them for couple of weeks. This way you know what works for your earlobes and lifestyle. QVC and Amazon sell their own brands of very nicely cut cz studs.

Thanks! I went looking for trial studs but didn't find them in neat 5.5 mm, 6 mm and 6.5 mm sizes. I will search some more. I think a bit of time deciding on size will be worth making the right choice I just have to get some patience at the store with those studs. ;-)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my blurry car shot. Top is 3.75 mm in a 6 prong setting. Bottom is 6 mm in a 4 prong setting. Is the 6 mm okay for everyday with flip flops and t shirts or should I go bigger or smaller?

20180723_141901.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 6 mm stones are a great size on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results