shape
carat
color
clarity

8 prong earring ladies . . .

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working on some diamond studs and have always liked the 8 prong setting style. If you have this style setting, do you love it? Where did you have yours set? Are the settings all sort of the same . . . wondering whether I should go to a local shop to have these set or send them out.

Would love to see your earrings too!

Bastetcat - If you're around, I love your earrings here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-bgd-my-first-big-girl-studs-are-here.188069/

And, of course, I could never forget Bliss's earrings, which is when I realized what a difference a setting can make!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge fan of 8-prong, they make the diamond look so big and round. I have 2 pairs from .54 CTW to 1.34 CTW in WG, and an inbound 1.06 CTW pair in YG. I have 2 pairs from WF, one pair and the inbound pair from BGD. Herre's a few pics...

The .76 each I-SI1 WF ES's :love:
18k-8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-by-whiteflash-32777_g.jpg
18k-8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-by-whiteflash-32777_z.jpg
18k-8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-by-whiteflash-32777_f.jpg

The inbound .53 each BGD Blue F-SI-2's. I'm getting the jackets, too. :naughty:
briangavin_8prong53pt.jpg
briangavin_8prong_withjackets.jpg

The .41 each WF ACA F-SI-1's :appl:
LW-ACAearrings-flower-.jpg
LW-ACA-pair-faceup.jpg

The .27 each BGD Sig F-SI2's :cheeky:
earring-pendant_earrings.jpg
earring-pendant_both.jpg
briangavin_8prong_27ptf-si2.jpg

And a pic of me wearing the .82 CTW, the .54 CTW, and a .25 CTW pair of WF pre-sets.
earring-pendant_earpicr.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan but all mine are set three prong.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I originally bought the 8-prong setting for my studs because I thought they would make the diamonds look larger. After wearing them for a few weeks, I found that from a viewing distance, they actually made the diamonds look smaller because they drew my eye to the inside of the metal to the diamond, rather than the outside. I switched to 4 -prong, and my husband and I both thing they look a lot bigger. Here is my thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-1-46-cttw-studs-thanks-jim-summa.183170/

I switched mine from 8 prong to 3 prong recently. I like the 8 but what a pain to clean unless you ultrasonic everyday. The 3 is easier for a quick baby toothbrush clean though. I am enjoying the 3 prong more after living with the 8 prong for three years. I won't go back :)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 8-prong 1.20 ctw studs from Whiteflash (18k WG). I've had them a number of years. They're great. The prongs are delicate and give a bit of a vintage flavor. I found the 3-prong and 4-prong too modern for my tastes.

Hope this helps!

Anne

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain - WOW! You have quite a collection of earrings! I'm guessing you have more than just these 8 prongs too!! Since you have both, are the WF and BGD settings the same? Is one more "delicate" than the other? Thank you for all of the photos!! :))

AprilBaby - Thanks for your reply! Sounds like the 3 prong settings have their benefits too!

EHR2009 - Thanks for posting the link. Did you take pics in the 8 prong? Wondering how the stueller setting might differ from the BGD and WF settings.

Bean - Thanks for sharing that about the cleaning.

Anne - Do you have pics??? Mine are almost the same size as yours. I'll see if you had a thread on them. Thanks!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1389964746|3594581 said:
Andelain - WOW! You have quite a collection of earrings! I'm guessing you have more than just these 8 prongs too!! Since you have both, are the WF and BGD settings the same? Is one more "delicate" than the other? Thank you for all of the photos!! :))

In studs, the only other pair I have is the little 4-prong set shown above. I do have a pair of .25 each AVR's set by Daniel M that I've never worn. The settings are so poorly made that I'm going to figure out something else to do with the stones. ATM I have only the .82CTW WF's and the .54 CTW BGD's to compare, so I just pulled them off for a look. The smaller BGD setting is lighter and more delicate than the larger WF setting. I'm curious myself how the 1.06 CTW set will compare. They should get here any day now, I go to the APO every day looking for them. :errrr:

Until recently I had this set from BGD, but never liked the mounts. They're at BGD now being remade into drops to attach to my existing studs.

BrianGavin_ClawStuds3b_0701910.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started with 3prong martinis, decided to try 8prongs for the next set, and haven't looked back since! I love how they make the diamond look bigger, assuming white diamond in white metal prongs, and rounder, assuming the stone is supposed to look round - even if it's somewhat off-round! - but still keep the "prong" look, vs. say a bezel...

My first 8prong settings were Stuller's stock martinis and they were great for my pavilion-heavy transitionals, but when I got larger crown-heavy definitelynotbootilicious OECs the stock settings didn't work at all, so WF made a pair of crown settings to custom-fit the stones. I adore them!!

Old: (1ctw)
file.jpg
file.jpg

Current: (2.5ctw)
(I loved the look of the engraving but it made them heavy (plat.), and I had the bases shaved down to reduce the weight)

yssie-wffinal-a.png
yssie-wffinal-onear1.png

8-prong-diamond-earrings-whiteflash-2013-calendar.jpg

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1389999237|3594988 said:
I started with 3prong martinis, decided to try 8prongs for the next set, and haven't looked back since! I love how they make the diamond look bigger, assuming white diamond in white metal prongs, and rounder, assuming the stone is supposed to look round - even if it's somewhat off-round! - but still keep the "prong" look, vs. say a bezel...

My first 8prong settings were Stuller's stock martinis and they were great for my pavilion-heavy transitionals, but when I got larger crown-heavy definitelynotbootilicious OECs the stock settings didn't work at all, so WF made a pair of crown settings to custom-fit the stones. I adore them!!

Old: (1ctw)
file.jpg
file.jpg

Current: (2.5ctw)
(I loved the look of the engraving but it made them heavy (plat.), and I had the bases shaved down to reduce the weight)

yssie-wffinal-a.png
yssie-wffinal-onear1.png

Yssie, your studs are stunning.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adelain - Oh, please do report back when you get your new BGDs!! So exciting!

AnneH - Oh, thank you for posting the link! They look perfect! Do you wear them everyday? I was a little worried that the size might be too big for everyday wear (haha, I know I don't sound like much of a PS-er.) I do not currently wear earrings and still need to get my ears pierced. Hahaha! Hopefully, I get that done before the earrings are done. In any event, it's hard for me to judge the size for that reason.

Yssie - Whoa! Your earrings are gorgeous. The settings remind me of a pair of antique settings I have saved to my computer. May I ask you the same question -- do you wear yours everyday? They do look just perfect on you! Mine are oecs too. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank you MomInStyle! ::)

Loves Vintage|1390135738|3596052 said:
Adelain - Oh, please do report back when you get your new BGDs!! So exciting!

AnneH - Oh, thank you for posting the link! They look perfect! Do you wear them everyday? I was a little worried that the size might be too big for everyday wear (haha, I know I don't sound like much of a PS-er.) I do not currently wear earrings and still need to get my ears pierced. Hahaha! Hopefully, I get that done before the earrings are done. In any event, it's hard for me to judge the size for that reason.

Yssie - Whoa! Your earrings are gorgeous. The settings remind me of a pair of antique settings I have saved to my computer. May I ask you the same question -- do you wear yours everyday? They do look just perfect on you! Mine are oecs too. :))

I could wear them everyday! They're very comfortable and studs are so classic, IMO - the sort of staple you can wear whenever, wherever without ever having to consider whether they're appropriate! They share ear-time with my 0.1ctw baby bezels, but I'd say they do get the lion's share..

I have found that the OECs really need to be cleaned every day to look their best, whereas I could go a couple of days between cleanings with my old MRBs. I also take all my jewellery off before bed so I couldn't speak to comfort whilst sleeping. Do you have any pics of your stones? :sun:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie - That's so cute that you that you wear such contrasting sizes so interchangeably! I love it!! I could take clearer photos, but these were in my office lighting and look a little blurry. The one on the left has a certain wonk-factor. The culet is a bit oblong. When I look at them side-by-side, they are a perfect match, and for the price, I couldn't do better, not even close! Adam at OWD is the best! :bigsmile: There's a little chippy too, but I prefer to view that as character. :halo: The two littles are going back to Adam. I was considering those too.

match.jpg

wonky_left.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look really good together! The oblong cutlet is adorable :bigsmile:

Honestly, I don't think it's realistic to expect to find exact matches when it comes to genuine antiques - I think the closest you can (should!) hope for is similar diameter/colour/faceting style... I also think 8prongs are a fantastic choice for stones that are slightly out of round because the multitude of prongs draws your eye to the outline they're trying to create rather than the outline of the stone itself! One of my OECs is slightly squarish but once set they really do both just look "circular" ::)

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE my 8 prong studs. I have two sizes - 1 pair is .30 each, the other pair is .60 each. I wear both everyday.

IMO the 8 prongs make the diamonds look way prettier and definitely larger than 4 prongs or 3 prongs.

OMG my ears look like Dumbo :wacko:

img_20140119_131107.jpg

img_20140119_131317-1.jpg

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1390135738|3596052 said:

Hi LV,

I usually wear pearl studs daily. But would easily wear the diamonds daily if I wanted to. I sometimes wear them with diamond earring jackets. I'd actually love to upgrade my studs someday.

Note that the same ctw can look bigger or smaller on various people depending on earlobe size and overall body proportions, etc.

Good luck with your piercing!! :)

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results