shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Set Crooked/ Uneven Prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So I finally have my diamond set in a cathedral setting. They screwed up the first time and mounted it in the wrong head. However, I noticed that it looked like the mounting was twisted - or well set on at an angle. My diamond looked. . . well not square a lot of the time. The prongs also looked uneven, some bigger than the others, which seemed to contribute to it. I didn''t say anything because it had to be reset anyways. So now I have a more typical V prong I guess you call it. And while not quite as obvious the diamond still looks not square at time and the prongs are again not the same size. This is annoying me to NO end! I really don''t feel like this jeweler can fix it. I mean both times it looked this way to me. Is it that hard to set a princess? Or am I that picky? This ering situation is wearing me thin. I want to LOVE my ring and right now about 40% of the time when I look at my hand my diamond does not look square. Which I think is mostly attributed to the prongs being different sizes. How easy is this for another jeweler to fix? I got this set at a mall store and I''m going to call another one of their stores to see if they use a different jeweler. There''s also a small town jeweler in the town where I work and I was thinking of stopping in there to talk to the jeweler. I don''t want to spend a fortune though getting this fixed. But I''m about done with the original store. I returned one of the erings there, then they mounted this one wrong and I''ve just been there like every 4 days for a month now. So I need to check out other options. I''ve also lost faith in their jeweler since both time the ring came back and looked like this. Is this common with princesses? I could see how a round would be easier to set.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's common with maul stores...most just do a crappy job and it certainly is easier to see with a princess. Honestly, I would just take your setting business elsewhere.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Can another jeweler reset this in the same head? So I don''t have to buy another head? This one cost enough. . .

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Can you show/post pictures?

As for the resetting, take it to a nice jeweler and avoid the mall stores..... This can easily be fixed and the head is probably just fine as long as they did not screw it up too much.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:32:18 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
Can another jeweler reset this in the same head? So I don''t have to buy another head? This one cost enough. . .

Most likely...but it depends on how much it was mangled in the process unfortunately.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I took my ring to a private jeweler. Not a chain. Local in the town I work. He saw the crappy prong work. Fixed it for $35 but it is STILL NOT square! It''s not angled. Either the prongs are uneven or the prongs are covering more of the diamond. It looks square some of the time. But about 50% of the time it does not look square. Usually the bottom line looks slanted. The jeweler was very nice. Told me how complicated it was to get princesses to look square. He used the same head. THe prongs look much better. But still. . . he said I could come back if it still wasn''t quite right. But how much do I mess with this? I don''t want to ruin the integrity of the prongs. I don''t want to keep risking the corners getting chipped in setting. He did acknowledge that they are very easy to chip. Am I just THAT anal? I''m so discouraged by this. After this whole ering drama now I love my diamond but hate looking down and not seeing a square. He could start all over with a new head. But that''s more $$$ and I''m not quaranteed a square. I know I''m super picky but this is driving me crazy. When I look at my hand I don''t look to admire my diamond . . . I look to see if at that moment in time it looks square. How pathetic is that?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If you can post photos up close of what bothering you, we could let you know if it needs to be fixed, or if you're just being anal
2.gif

But honestly, if it bothers you this much I would take him up on his offer to fix it again, as long as you're confident on his ability to do so without chipping your stone etc.
Wouldn't your diamond be insured by now? I imagine this would be covered under most policies..? Pls make sure it is before you try changing it again.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

Here is a post with some pics: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-is-my-ering.102935/

I don''t know how to get a good handshot? The thing is that when my hand is at a certain distance - most typically elbow straight and hand flexed like when you look down at your rings - is when the bottom line looks slanted. Take the ring off and flip over to put back on - same slant - same direction! This drives me NUTS! I''m almost afraid to show my ring to someone for fear it looks like that from their point of view. Any tips on getting a handshot at this distance is appreciated. Maybe my lighting is bad. I may try outside tomorrow to see if that helps. In the meantime the best pic from the post is attached here.

IMG_6395A.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Might help

IMG_6397.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Another

IMG_6398.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Another

IMG_6399.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Last one

Of course I just realized I have no idea which way I had the ring on when taking these pics. Won''t help me much if we talk about specific prongs and directions. Hmph.

IMG_6400.JPG

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to tell from pics, of course, but it looks a little like the head itself is twisted off square a smidge- is that what you're seeing? Not a lot, but just a bit.

It'd probably drive me nutty with an angular stone like a princess, I have to admit; while many things I am not anal about, jewelry details are definitely one of those nitpicky things for me.

If it's that the head is twisted a bit, it's probably the setting/head itself, not the setting job unfortunately. (I think- I will admit I know squat about how princess cuts are set!) If it's a peg head, it could be easy enough to fix. I had a setting's head replaced once, and basically the bench guy I use pulled out his Stuller catalogue, we picked one of the few heads that could work, and he charged me for his cost on the head plus whatever it cost to set ($100 for the head- not one of the cheapest, but one of the only ones that worked for what I needed it for- plus $20ish to set).

Sorry! You should be enjoying your new ring, not stuck fretting about a lousily made setting.
8.gif
Good luck fixing; I'd see if maybe you could return it to the store it came from, if it is an issue with manufacture & not the setting job?

ETA: It also may grow to irritate you less. We all tend to obsess over itty bitt details at first. My e-ring is set with the stone just plonked in there, rather than the table lined up with my finger like my favorite bench guy sets all my other stuff. It irritated me to no end at first, but I didn't want to fiddle with it since it's an old stone with a very thin girdle- now, I don't even notice that detail. YMMV!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
The head is sautered to the band. So the whole thing isn''t one piece. The jeweler I took it to swears that the head is on the band straight. He even got a mm measurer out he claims to make sure everything was correct. He could start over with a new head, but do I really want to spend that much more money? This is so annoying and magnified by the whole ering drama initially.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I had hoped a jeweler would comment on this issue. . . ?

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I can see it when it''s in the box, but not on your hand. The right corner is slanted a teensy bit lower, is that what you are seeing?
I don''t know much about this so I''m not much help, but I feel for you because I know you have been through a lot of *stuff* regarding this ring.
You need to have a chance to be elated about this ring, it is beautiful
30.gif

Jeweler? Bueller? Anyone???

~Kat

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the right corner is lower. It seems to be that way most of the time. Occassionally the left corner will seem lower. And interesting enough when I flip the ring over the same corner appears to be lower. The top line of the square always looks fine. This is seriously stressing me out. I have a fabulous diamond that looks like a freaking. . . well NOT a square! I can''t look at it an enjoy the diamond. I look at it and think "oh it looks square right now". . . or . . . "damn it it''s not square again". I''m considering sending it to WF to be fixed. Going to email them right now. But if it comes back and it''s still not square then what? I can''t afford to send a ring back and forth to WF. In some regards I think it''s easier to work with a jeweler in person on this type of issue. But I tried that and it didn''t work. I''m just so bummed. After all of this I have a great diamond but I just can''t love the ring. And honestly I''m so tired of this never ending ering drama. I got engaged on Nov 12th and the ring still isn''t right. This takes away from the excitement of being engaged and it really has kind of tarnished (so to speak) the memory of the proposal. As sad at it sounds it is the truth. Am I just too picky? Do I notice details that no one else would? I''m beating myself up over this. Aren''t there any knowledgeable jewelers on the board that can advise me? Someone with experience with this type of setting. Surely this isn''t a unique problem?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed Whiteflash and am quite disappointed in the response. I can buy a whole new setting from them, but not a new head. so i''m back to the drawing board. I was willing to eat the loss and buy a new head, but not a whole new setting!
7.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Ugh! I totally feel for you.

Maybe one of the experts here could chime in and make a suggestion that would help...they are really good at doing that.

And no, you are not being too picky. I am OCD about stuff like this...I''ve been through 3 wedding sets in 8.5 years because of it. Thank goodness DH is patient with me!

Anyway, I really do think that is a beautiful ring. You just need a little help with a minor detail...and this is the best place to get help for that :)

Keep us posted...

~Kat

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I was really hoping that an expert would give some thoughts. But doesn''t seem likely. . . I was really hoping WF could help. I feel like I''m not doing my diamond justice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results