color
clarity

Diamond question

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello,

Need some advice from the gurus here.
what’s your take on this diamond with a better spec?

Not the most ideal Color grade and clarity, but with a good hca. Medium Blue Florescence should help with the lower color grade.

But I’m on a tight budget. Should I go for a smaller diamond instead?

605EBCB8-5A67-4605-945E-7E5DDAD168A4.jpeg

10642EB1-B0C1-432B-9F85-3B5B16C08ACC.jpeg DED79143-0F7E-497D-A072-FA137C4E2FEA.jpeg 424B40BA-CFEC-4DE3-8ED8-494FFFFD02D3.jpeg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like that inclusion is fairly noticeable

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inclusion would be very visible. I try to avoid solid inclusions, especially right on the table and black. No for me.

Can you tell us your budget and size goals and PS members can take a look for you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inclusion would make this stone a "no" for me and I'm pretty liberal as far as inclusions go. I prefer an inclusion outside the table area and
white. You can put lots of PSers to work hunting you down a stone if you post specs/budget...I know sometimes its the thrill of the hunt though.:cheeky:

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium
Haha!! Thanks for all the feedback!
That’s very helpful!

I’m looking at b2cjewel site.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/

I’m looking for a decent 1 carat diamond with a Budget of 4.3 - 5k. Since Budget is a constraint, spec might be compromised to meet the size . Hard time looking for something decent out there, that at least look flawless from a naked eyes. I read that “I” and below grade diamond shld go for diamond with fluorescence. That’s another way to reduce the cost.

Appreciate any recommendation, if you come across anything decent! Thanks in advance!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha!! Thanks for all the feedback!
That’s very helpful!

I’m looking at b2cjewel site.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/

I’m looking for a decent 1 carat diamond with a Budget of 4.3 - 5k. Since Budget is a constraint, spec might be compromised to meet the size . Hard time looking for something decent out there, that at least look flawless from a naked eyes. I read that “I” and below grade diamond shld go for diamond with fluorescence. That’s another way to reduce the cost.

Appreciate any recommendation, if you come across anything decent! Thanks in advance!

A beautiful AGS graded diamond (you could ask JA for a PS discount and/or use a $100 referral discount to make the budget). H is a great color and I believe this stone would be eye clean at this size and they probably put a prong on or near the inclusion: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4389077

Another option: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3635558

If you want to stick to the lower enf of your budget, I'd ask if these are eye clean:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4394610
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3659049

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello AC7!

Thank you so much for your recommendation!! I went ahead to pick one of your recommendations. It is the cleanest and eye catchy, looks brilliant from the photo itself!!! I also managed to get a discount! :love:

The cut looks like it is going to be an awesome one, maybe you all term this as Tolkowsky, not exactly sure.

F6CCDAB1-E45C-4D57-8767-B0FD8FE0F389.jpeg

9BE43D59-4463-42C8-9B36-FE529E9CA12D.jpeg
I requested for the idealscope photo, looks great too! Unfortunatly, they are unable to share photo of the ASET scope. Hope there is no light leakage issues.... :lol:

915FE36A-4A1D-4352-9CD7-D5504265CEB1.jpeg

Thanks so much for your helpful and recommendation!!!!
Kudos!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello AC7!

Thank you so much for your recommendation!! I went ahead to pick one of your recommendations. It is the cleanest and eye catchy, looks brilliant from the photo itself!!! I also managed to get a discount! :love:

The cut looks like it is going to be an awesome one, maybe you all term this as Tolkowsky, not exactly sure.

I requested for the idealscope photo, looks great too! Unfortunatly, they are unable to share photo of the ASET scope. Hope there is no light leakage issues.... :lol:

Kudos!

It looks great! What type of setting are you going with? Please come back with pictures of the completed ring!!

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello!

I’ve got the basic presentation solitaire knife edge from James.

Yes, I will post the actual photo.
Let me know if it is a good keep.

Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one looks much better! Come back to show us the finished product.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Millions thanks to

This will be the perfect piece for my upcoming proposal!
Will definitely upload an actual photo once I received it!

Thanks everyone!!!!

Can't wait to see it!!! :appl:

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
just saying , for me its not a worth buy

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure that English is @YoLaL's mother tongue?? So hopefully something has been lost in translation...

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What makes you say so? :eek2:
Durability issues.. The feather ( break ) it's damm huge.. this will cause your diamond turn in two pieces.. so please be very careful

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just to check if you manage to see this diamond in actual? Also did they show you how bad the feather inclusions?

Kudos![/QUOTE]

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durability issues.. The feather ( break ) it's damm huge.. this will cause your diamond turn in two pieces.. so please be very careful
May I ask what leads you to this assessment?

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium

Hello, I didn’t get to see the actual diamond as I bought it from online retailer.

I will have a look when I receive it. How do I tell if there is a real concern on the feather?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Generally speaking, in most cases it should not be a problem. BUT it is true that feathers reaching the girdle, ESPECIALLY if they break the surface open and when the feather(s) are large in size can pose a durability risk. A mineral inclusion under the table, while it may or may not be more visible, is less of a durability risk. I personally own both types of stones and have not had a problem with either. Diamonds can chip and also break along cleavage planes even if they are not included. An SI2 is an SI2, you have to live with some sort of an inclusion. There are two things you could do, swap for higher clarity and increase budget a bit or make sure the feather is set between prongs not right under one! Best type of setting for such stone would be a bezel. Once set, you will not have a problem, it is mostly the setting (and unsetting) that is difficult with these inclusions. Pronging it is a bad idea, not only as the prong will put pressure on it and it can expand but during wear when you hit the prong over it and apply enough pressure, again it can expand the feather. Chances of this actually happening are low though. I have friends wearing as low as I2 clarity bought at mall store jewelers never having had a problem. But it is best to stay on the safe side. Set it safely and it should be fine. Also, you can always get your stone evaluated by an recommended appraiser in your area.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YoLaL is correct in pointing out that those feathers are significant - and they’re the grade-making inclusions. He or she is incorrect in the assertion that they’ll definitively cause your diamond to fall apart on you, but there is certainly heightened risk that should be noted and evaluated.

Specifically:
When you look at the plot diagram to locate inclusions, construct your three-dimensional image by imagining that there’s a fold between the two plots. The crown-side feather extends from girdle and breaches three facets - upper girdle, bezel, and star, and seems to end at the intersection of star and table; this location comes in second to girdle as the most easily-damaged part of a diamond. The pavilion-side feather also extends from the girdle - and the two large feathers are not 180deg apart on the stone, but the report indicates pavilion-side feathering at the girdle where the large crown-side feather begins, and crown-side feathering at the girdle where the large pavilion-side feather begins.

The stone is otherwise lovely. I agree strongly with @Sunstorm - I would also recommend against prongs... Bezel this beauty! And have the vendor you purchase the stone from do the setting work (or find an insurer who will accept liability for a loose stone during setting - there are a few, ask this question explicitly). A bezel with a slightly higher “lip” would resolve most, if not all, of my personal practical concern here ::)

Last edited:

flashstep

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello!!

Thanks for sharing the tips with me! Because of the concerns you all have raised.

I have checked with the James Allen whether the inclusion is an concern especially on the durability.

I was informed that the gemologist has inspected the ring after setting it on the ring, and there is no concern pertaining to the inclusion. Not sure how accurate it is. :eek-2:

KingKuda

Rough_Rock
Premium
Based on how people talk about feathers, what's the use of buying anything below a VVS? Almost every single diamond from VS2 down has feather inclusions, and most eye clean ones contain these feathers off the table towards the sides.

My advice is buy it, get insurance for it and don't stress. I'm no diamond expert but I also know that 90% of people who buy an engagement ring go to a jewler, let them pick the diamond and never worry about it again and most of those diamonds are probably littered with feathers and the like.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!!

Thanks for sharing the tips with me! Because of the concerns you all have raised.

I have checked with the James Allen whether the inclusion is an concern especially on the durability.

I was informed that the gemologist has inspected the ring after setting it on the ring, and there is no concern pertaining to the inclusion. Not sure how accurate it is.

Some of the vendors that come highly recommended on PS - WF, HPD, GOG (no longer selling to public, however), DBL - all their representatives are very knowledgeable and their opinions are wholly and implicitly trustworthy.

I’ve bought from JA multiple times, and been very happy with my purchases. The thing is - JA is not a boutique vendor specializing in educated opinion the way those other vendors are. What they lack in service they make up for in quantity of goods and pricing, which works well for certain purchasers and purchases, but for the customer like you who doesn’t realise he requires both until well into a sale... the trade-off becomes questionable.

To put it bluntly - if WF had told you there was nothing to worry about, then there’s nothing to worry about. JA’s assertion does not improve my confidence, with few exceptions - I value Adam Blackstock’s opinion.

Okay. All of that said. @KingKuda has a point: this is what insurance is for. Everyone has to make compromises based on personal priorities - yours might be different from mine. You could drop size or colour and improve clarity and make this worry go away, but then you’ve got either a smaller or a lower-colored stone. You could bezel it (I’ll say again that this is my strong recommendation for this particular stone...), but that’s only an option if you appreciate that aesthetic. You could buy it,set it the way you want, insure it, and know that even if something does happen you’re “covered” for replacement - accepting the risk that your odds of requiring replacement are higher than they could otherwise be.
Whatever choice you make, now you will be consciously and explicitly weighing your options against your priorities and therefore making a decision that can’t, by definition, be the wrong one for you.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@flashstep ofcourse vendor wont tell you about the issues. I suggest that once you receive the ring you can go to your nearest jewellery shop and ask help to check the feather inclusions . =)2

Hello!!

I was informed that the gemologist has inspected the ring after setting it on the ring, and there is no concern pertaining to the inclusion. Not sure how accurate it is. :eek-2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flashstep ofcourse vendor wont tell you about the issues. I suggest that once you receive the ring you can go to your nearest jewellery shop and ask help to check the feather inclusions . =)2

Really? Because their nearest jewelry shop won't have any skin in the game? :confused::rolleyes:

OP, if you want a truly neutral assessment, then you could have the stone inspected by an INDEPENDENT appraiser. We'd recommend a PS one, which you could find in the resources section up at the top of the PS page.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the vendors that come highly recommended on PS - WF, HPD, GOG (no longer selling to public, however), DBL - all their representatives are very knowledgeable and their opinions are wholly and implicitly trustworthy.
Wait... what?

Have I missed some news??!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results