shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond or gemstone centre into my three stone mount?

What should I put in the centre?

• Diamond

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set a diamond into a solitaire setting. *THE* solitaire setting, ever so popular on PS and just as beautiful as I expected. But guess what? It turns out a solitaire of this size (0.89ct) is just too basic for me. Goodness me I guess I’ve spent too much time on PS because I remember when a 0.75ct felt huge to me! Now it looks dainty to my eyes lol.

Soooo I have this other setting. Three stone, pear sides. I was going to put a blue zircon in the centre but decided it should have a more durable stone. It’s a platinum setting and if I put in a durable stone with diamond sides, that’s a solid ring! But I can’t decide on a centre colour that I would really really love.I’ve had this setting for a year and it’s just waiting! Which got me thinking...

Maybe I should reset the diamond into this setting?

-The pear sides are F/G at best, G/H at worst, but I have no idea, I can’t recall. The centre diamond 0.89ct is an AGS E.

-Maybe it’s a waste of my solitaire crown setting. Maybe with the right band(s) I could jazz up the solitaire.

-Maybe I should just put a round sapphire in there and call it a day.

-Or, sell it all and move on!!

-Or, upgrade the pear sides to match the colour. (This would be a pain but possible).

Well, this post feels so trivial what with the state of the world but I am trying to enjoy focusing on the trivial when I’m not busy worrying about everything ever. I hope you are all doing ok and thanks in advance for telling me what you would do if these were your supplies

PS - the mount with pear sides is with my goldsmith. I could possibly do a roadside pickup but I’m staying home as much as possible so I dunno. These are old pics but they show some details.

8A89FAD8-C13E-4492-9043-FAA14ADA48E8.jpeg 52A6ADC4-139A-4EE1-ACAF-251753B18CE2.jpeg 0E544EC9-15C5-468C-8FD0-179CE973B1C9.jpeg 15AE7447-D4CF-40B7-B464-A2DEC7C29934.jpeg 35D6361E-5E0C-45CB-859E-C0333A2322A0.jpeg D75591D4-065C-4A08-91D9-1E9F561DD656.jpeg

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re looking for more finger coverage, you have two options:
1) upgrade to a larger diamond or different shape giving you more finger coverage

2) add side stones or re-style the ring completely (could be a halo, bezel, etc.).

You didn’t upgrade substantially and I did the same thing as you. I upgraded from a 0.72ct center to a 1.34 solitaire and was unhappy. So then I upgraded to 1.54ct with halo. The problem was I have chubby fingers and even with a larger stone and a halo it wasn’t enough finger coverage. So I changed again but this time I went with a 1.58ct antique moval but set East-west to obtain the most finger coverage and that was it! Shrinkage is real! I would say if you’re truly happy with the stone and definitely don’t want to go bigger, then re-set. However, if it’s about the stone and it’s not big enough, maybe save more until you can get something that will make you happy.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re looking for more finger coverage, you have two options:
1) upgrade to a larger diamond or different shape giving you more finger coverage

2) add side stones or re-style the ring completely (could be a halo, bezel, etc.).

You didn’t upgrade substantially and I did the same thing as you. I upgraded from a 0.72ct center to a 1.34 solitaire and was unhappy. So then I upgraded to 1.54ct with halo. The problem was I have chubby fingers and even with a larger stone and a halo it wasn’t enough finger coverage. So I changed again but this time I went with a 1.58ct antique moval but set East-west to obtain the most finger coverage and that was it! Shrinkage is real! I would say if you’re truly happy with the stone and definitely don’t want to go bigger, then re-set. However, if it’s about the stone and it’s not big enough, maybe save more until you can get something that will make you happy.

Thanks for your $0.02! I would love to see pics of your moval... :D

You’ve given me a lot to think about. I’m going to try and unpack what I might actually want. Although right now I feel like I just want to “use up” this setting in a low-cost way! Lol

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your $0.02! I would love to see pics of your moval... :D

You’ve given me a lot to think about. I’m going to try and unpack what I might actually want. Although right now I feel like I just want to “use up” this setting in a low-cost way! Lol

Here’s some photos of my engagement ring journey:
1) original e-ring 0.72:
B63D263C-4742-4A67-8619-E4BDA1FD5CC7.jpeg

2) 1.34 upgrade
C76E36A0-7EAE-4A27-9AF0-0108919DBBDA.jpeg

3) 1.54 with halo
22D6E9D6-16AE-455D-A7CE-84A7F8A421D7.jpeg

4) my current engagement ring 1.58 ct antique moval:
F9720C4A-8423-42C0-852A-0C8BDD913690.jpeg F2D8CFDF-D36C-409D-9FBA-C6017AB43E48.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Who did that 3 stone setting? It's gorgeous!!

And what size center stone would fit in it? I vote for something pink!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks so lovely and classic on it own. I wouldn’t make a change! I especially love the last picture with the gold band!

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First of all, no need to apologize for a “trivial” question. We are all here to spend some time in a happy place during these trying times. I understand not quite knowing what you want and also wanting to use what you have. I think your diamond would look gorgeous in that three stone setting! It would help give you the finger coverage you want. Is the color discrepancy with the side stones really noticeable?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@pearaffair Is your solitaire an AGS0 stone? If yes, plus that it is an E color, I say keep it in the solitaire and maybe just get another delicate diamond stacking band to wear with it.
I do love your 3 stone mounting. I would not put side stones that do not match the color of the center stone together. I like the idea of a colored stone but I would suggest ruby and they are ridiculously expensive so forget that! Do you like sapphires? What about putting a lab grown diamond in the center of the three-stone? No one will be the wiser!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell in the pic, but do you see a significant color difference between the pear side stones and the 0.89ct center stone that you have? Do you also still have the 0.5ct-ish D color stone?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought of adding half moon diamonds to each side?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s some photos of my engagement ring journey:
1) original e-ring 0.72:
B63D263C-4742-4A67-8619-E4BDA1FD5CC7.jpeg

2) 1.34 upgrade
C76E36A0-7EAE-4A27-9AF0-0108919DBBDA.jpeg

3) 1.54 with halo
22D6E9D6-16AE-455D-A7CE-84A7F8A421D7.jpeg

4) my current engagement ring 1.58 ct antique moval:
F9720C4A-8423-42C0-852A-0C8BDD913690.jpeg F2D8CFDF-D36C-409D-9FBA-C6017AB43E48.jpeg

Ok wow, thank you SO much for the pics! Where can I get more details on that moval?! Gorgeous progression and you are definitely giving me some ideas. Wow wow wow. These pics made my day.

TBH y’all this thread was a beautiful distraction for me as I packed up myself and my toddler. We have to live apart from my husband for a while because he’s a frontline worker and my kid and I have underlying conditions. Thank you for giving me beautiful bling thoughts during a time of a lot of heartache.

Also! I did a roadside pickup from my goldsmith so I have the mount, the sidestones, and a whole host of possible centre stones in my possession. My goldsmith lent me three centre options; isn’t he a doll? So many pics to come. I’m letting my roadside pickup jewellery “quarantine” so I think I’ll be able to play with it and take pics tmrw. More pics and responses to come soon! today was a travel day so I’m exhausted. Loving those bling thoughts though.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Would you believe... stuller?! Lol! it’s true! So the mount is a platinum stuller beauty in a size 5. I’ll grab the style number if you’re interested?

I love this setting because it reminds me of a setting made by CanadaMark (or used by them, not sure which) that I fell for YEARS ago. Love love love. It was exciting to find it in the stuller catalogue.

Around 6-6.2mm centre. My diamond is 6.2mm.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks so lovely and classic on it own. I wouldn’t make a change! I especially love the last picture with the gold band!

Thank you! It is so timeless and classic, is it? Trouble is... I think I prefer a little more pizazz lol. I loved it with that Tiffany band but they don’t sit together in a comfy stay-put way. Great for photos though ;-)

I was considering trying the solitaire with a yellow gold rolling ring. I love how yellow gold brings out the whiteness of the diamond.

If I leave the diamond where it is, what would you put in the three stone mount? Don’t worry- inspiration pics to follow!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, no need to apologize for a “trivial” question. We are all here to spend some time in a happy place during these trying times. I understand not quite knowing what you want and also wanting to use what you have. I think your diamond would look gorgeous in that three stone setting! It would help give you the finger coverage you want. Is the color discrepancy with the side stones really noticeable?

Thank you <3

I will take some pics tomorrow and we shall see!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the gallery of your setting
i have issues with galleries so when i see one love i get excited
Definatly keep the setting
and i vote a blue saphire

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair Is your solitaire an AGS0 stone? If yes, plus that it is an E color, I say keep it in the solitaire and maybe just get another delicate diamond stacking band to wear with it.
I do love your 3 stone mounting. I would not put side stones that do not match the color of the center stone together. I like the idea of a colored stone but I would suggest ruby and they are ridiculously expensive so forget that! Do you like sapphires? What about putting a lab grown diamond in the center of the three-stone? No one will be the wiser!

I think it is an AGS1? I would have to dig up the cert.

What you describe would be a very classic and timeless look but as it turns out... not my jam! I need something a little more extra lol.

I am not in the habit of wearing coloured stones but I have some that my goldsmith lent me and I will plop them in the setting to see what looks good!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Oh PS- I *have* considered a hot pink sapphire! I am not sure if I could pull it off as I usually wear more cool colours and jewel tones (plum, navy, emerald, etc)... but maybe I can photoshop. I tried on this ring and loved the colour....

F8991DFF-33D3-4AAF-AEAA-C6AF1F934E50.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell in the pic, but do you see a significant color difference between the pear side stones and the 0.89ct center stone that you have? Do you also still have the 0.5ct-ish D color stone?

Hi Simone! Wow you have such a great memory! Yes I do still have the 0.5ct D. I was thinking to put it in a dainty bezel necklace. It is just so beautiful.

Whenever I put it beside the 0.89ct, I end up thinking that the 0.89ct is too small.

80A7A9A4-3FAB-4F09-8AB8-C6350C9C4022.jpeg

(Thanks DSS! Lol). So I think a three stone with it is out.

I will post pics tmrw of the E 0.89ct next to the pears and we can all decide!

This a the pic of the 0.89 E next to the 0.5ish D and on the other side some random cz in a 0.5ct ish size. The proportions don’t do it for me. What DK you think?

9D496B87-E709-4B18-A984-0FD8FE84EE4B.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought of adding half moon diamonds to each side?

I love half moons! The setting I have available only allows for pears, and I don’t want to devote budget to *another* new setting at this point lol. Thank you for the idea though! I do love half moons.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the gallery of your setting
i have issues with galleries so when i see one love i get excited
Definatly keep the setting
and i vote a blue saphire

Right? The side view is soooo pretty, I will definitely have to post a pic of it in Niel’s side view thread once I’m done! Can you believe it’s a stuller setting? They have some good ones that’s for sure!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right? The side view is soooo pretty, I will definitely have to post a pic of it in Niel’s side view thread once I’m done! Can you believe it’s a stuller setting? They have some good ones that’s for sure!

Just checking i used the right word
im still newish to ring anatomy ;)2
Anatomy-of-Engagement-Ring.jpg
I just love this view
The view you would see all day looking down your hand Screenshot_20200407-224952.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a durable CS, it would need to be a Sapphire, Ruby or Spinel.

Personally, I would go for something pink or pink-red, like a neon pink Sapphire.

However, colour is very personal, so good luck in finding a CS to your liking.

DK :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair -

Yes! Please do give me the Stuller number - I love that setting!

And - I had a 3 stone with the exact proportions of what yours would look like it you did .5/.89/.5 I LOVED it and it was my favorite proportions ever and I plan to recreate it at some point. Here's a photo - I hope this helps! (Seriously - how good is PS?? Because - what are the odds??)

This is a photo of a photo of a photo - so a tad blurry. But you get the general idea. The ring is on a size 7 finger, so yours would look considerably larger, @pearaffair. The specs are .46 / .83 / .47. sIMG_2502-e.jpg

original 3 stone.jpeg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I adore your 3 stone setting and I echo @mrs-b something PINK for the center :kiss2:
I would also keep your solitare - it's gorgeous.
Thanks for letting us know the stuller setting too - it's so hard to look and really know what looks good in real life.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Your stuller three stone is beautiful. They make some nice settings. Here is mine 20200407_104852.jpg

Oh that's gorgeous! Is that a 6 prong? And does it allow a band to sit flush with no gap? Thanks for sharing! I'm on the search for a flush fit 6 prong.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Simone! Wow you have such a great memory! Yes I do still have the 0.5ct D. I was thinking to put it in a dainty bezel necklace. It is just so beautiful.

Whenever I put it beside the 0.89ct, I end up thinking that the 0.89ct is too small.

80A7A9A4-3FAB-4F09-8AB8-C6350C9C4022.jpeg

(Thanks DSS! Lol). So I think a three stone with it is out.

I will post pics tmrw of the E 0.89ct next to the pears and we can all decide!

This a the pic of the 0.89 E next to the 0.5ish D and on the other side some random cz in a 0.5ct ish size. The proportions don’t do it for me. What DK you think?

9D496B87-E709-4B18-A984-0FD8FE84EE4B.jpeg

Ha! I remember important things ;-) Ok, I actually like the proportions a lot. If it were me, I’d get another 0.5ct D/E diamond and enjoy them all together. I would personally set the side stones a bit lower than the center and at a slight angle and it would be dreamy imo. I also think that a 3 stone will cure DSS for a bit. But it’s your ring, so you have to be sold on the idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results