carat
color
clarity

Diamond missing one number from inscription

halu

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I recently posted about the diamond I purchased:

I got an unexpected call from the company I purchased from today, which they summarised in a followup email:

Thank you for your time today over the phone.

We have been informed from the diamond supplier of the selected stone in your order that the full inscription of the report number is not printed onto the diamond itself as one number is not fully visible. This is an issue we have never faced and would like your confirmation if you would like us to continue to purchase it. The diamond and report match in all other factors with all measurement and characteristics.

This is my first time purchasing a diamond, I obviously do not care about a missing number if that's all it is, but I wanted to make sure there's nothing fishy about this. Alternatively, since people commented on my original thread that the diamond has a bit of twist, it seems I now have an opportunity to change my choice, so if anyone can find me a better alternative I'd gladly switch to something better

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I would cancel the order. You want to be 100% sure you're getting what you're actually paying for. It may simply be an error, but it's a strange error, and one that to me would indicate perhaps quality control is an issue.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear, halu.
Definitely don't accept a diamond without an accurate inscription!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
A PS Angel was watching over you the whole time! Better diamond to come!!

And in case someone ever wants to sell the stone, NO ONE in the resale market is going to believe the “oops one number is missing” business. IGI (or whomever) needs to fix this since it’s their duty to make sure stones and certificates match.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ayuh, heed the wisdom, they felt the need to call that's because this is not how things are done for a reason.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you able to buy this stone?

halu

Rough_Rock
Message received loud and clear. Now I need to find another diamond. Help! ;))

Are you able to buy this stone?

No. You can check what I can buy by clicking "choose specific diamond" here. If you copy paste the IGI code in the search box it will show up if it's available. I found 2/3 of diamonds available elsewhere were available on this website, not sure why the other 1/3 are not.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

No. You can check what I can buy by clicking "choose specific diamond" here. If you copy paste the IGI code in the search box it will show up if it's available. I found 2/3 of diamonds available elsewhere were available on this website, not sure why the other 1/3 are not.

Here...take a look at this fiery beast.
(the diamond is slightly tilted in the video, skewing the appearance just a bit)

Have them pre-VAT price match:

halu

Rough_Rock
Here...take a look at this fiery beast.
(the diamond is slightly tilted in the video, skewing the appearance just a bit)

Have them pre-VAT price match:

Wait what, how is that so cheap?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Loosegrowndiamond offers some of the lowest prices, for the alternative you found too.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Alternative I found:

The crown angle on yours is a little steep at 35.5.

Loose grown diamond has done right by a lot of PSers. Sometimes other companies will price match Loose Grown. Many of these stones are offered on multiple sites at wildly varying prices.

halu

Rough_Rock
Ok so after checking on the website I'm locked into, it's less than 100$ more than the loose diamond price after VAT, I'm not too sad.

@DejaWiz I'm looking at your diamond and thinking I must be looking at all the wrong things, because I'd never have picked this:

• It's VS1 with a mark on the table in the report. While I can't see it on the video, would I really not see it looking upclose? I had assumed so far that VS1 level defects were only ok if on the back or an area of the front that a prong could cover
  • It doesn't look as clear as the my original one or the alternative I linked above, though I realise the background is darker too.
  • It doesn't have as high as a score on HCA/StoneAlgo
  • When looking at the front side, there are still dark areas between the arrows (the twist you pointed to on my original pick), the arrows themselves are much less dark, specially the tips, and they aren't even all dark on the same frame, you have to rotate the face significantly to see them get dark. Isn't this a sign of a bad cut?
1705625456885.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
VS1 will be eye-clean: keep in mind the outer diameter is measured in millimeters so any inclusions are a tiny fraction of that size... microscopic!

Cut estimators are just that: estimators. They can not account for material quality, cut precision, and overall optical performance. Human eyes need to do that.

This one is tricky to fully assess since it is tilted in the video, skewing the appearance of things like the arrows patterning and possibly giving a false positive to things like pavilion twist.

There will be a little risk with this one since the video alignment isn't perfect and a higher degree of assessing (without ASET, I-S, H&A images) is impossible.

In short, if you're not comfortable with it, then definitely keep looking for a different diamond that brings you comfort. :)

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a little bit of help until the experts chime in.

- We can't see the mark on the video, so you won't see it with the naked eye. Many SI1s are eye clean. You just want an eye clean stone. I personally own an eye clean SI1.

- The stone is slightly tilted which accounts for the lack of dark symmetric arrows all showing up at once. You can see the slight tilt on the side view.

- HCA is a general tool. It's not about pitting a 1.2 stone against a 1.5 stone.

But things need to be mind clean for you. There are other great stones out there, so purchase something that feels 100% right to you.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you think of this one?

halu

Rough_Rock
There will be a little risk with this one since the video alignment isn't perfect and a higher degree of assessing (without ASET, I-S, H&A images) is impossible.

In short, if you're not comfortable with it, then definitely keep looking for a different diamond that brings you comfort. :)
I hear you on the clarity grade and cut scores, I'll include VS1 that seem clean in videos in my search from now on, and expand the acceptable cut grade a bit. The method I've been using so far to find candidates is to put my search criteria in stonealgo, sort by cut grade and make my way down, so my brain has become accustomed to looking at 9.6 cut score or higher

What do you think of this one?

Wow! VVS1 with no inclusions marked on the report? Why isn't that IF? In any case, this is on the pricy (and larger) side of the spectrum, I was trying to stay closer to 1.2 because she tried a 1.5 and said "too big", whereas she tried a 1ct and said "could go slightly bigger but feels right". Also very nitpicky but I've been looking at a "slightly on the fiery side" which I've understood to mean angle 35 crown and/or table 55-56. Is that a bad idea? And... I can still see some twist right? Does getting no twist require getting a hearts and arrows grade?

Sorry about all the critique, I actually love the way it looks just trying to learn as much as possible now that I have you all to teach me :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I hear you on the clarity grade and cut scores, I'll include VS1 that seem clean in videos in my search from now on, and expand the acceptable cut grade a bit. The method I've been using so far to find candidates is to put my search criteria in stonealgo, sort by cut grade and make my way down, so my brain has become accustomed to looking at 9.6 cut score or higher

Wow! VVS1 with no inclusions marked on the report? Why isn't that IF? In any case, this is on the pricy (and larger) side of the spectrum, I was trying to stay closer to 1.2 because she tried a 1.5 and said "too big", whereas she tried a 1ct and said "could go slightly bigger but feels right". Also very nitpicky but I've been looking at a "slightly on the fiery side" which I've understood to mean angle 35 crown and/or table 55-56. Is that a bad idea? And... I can still see some twist right? Does getting no twist require getting a hearts and arrows grade?

Sorry about all the critique, I actually love the way it looks just trying to learn as much as possible now that I have you all to teach me :)

This diamond is also slightly tilted in the video, so I doubt that there is any pavilion twist.

halu

Rough_Rock
A few more contenders I've spotted, am I learning? :P2

Possibly my favourite so far:

While the links don't have videos you can just paste the certificate in this URL

https://loupe360.com/diamond/PASTEHERE/

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Some of these looks great! Just for funsies I looked up the 1.22 ending in -1681 on Loose Grown, and it’s there for $700. Def look there before you buy and see if you bring down the price through your retailer.

You have a couple of stones which have rather steep crown angles. I know you’re pushing your crown height that way, but keep in mind all the factors need to work together.

You’ve definitely got some great choices, and will be interesting to see what the experts say.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more contenders I've spotted, am I learning? :P2

Possibly my favourite so far:

While the links don't have videos you can just paste the certificate in this URL

https://loupe360.com/diamond/PASTEHERE/

I like these two.

I think anything with a 15% crown height or above would be good for aiming for slightly more fiery. You trade off brightness as you go towards more fiery. There were a couple recent threads about diamonds that stayed persistently dark, so it's a delicate balance.

halu

Rough_Rock
Looking at all of them again, I see why you both looked at LG602361681. I'm starting to notice you all are really picky about any twist! I've spent all afternoon looking for more candidates and this is the only that can compete with it.

I have however noticed that it's been on the market for 18 months, am I missing something?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at all of them again, I see why you both looked at LG602361681. I'm starting to notice you all are really picky about any twist! I've spent all afternoon looking for more candidates and this is the only that can compete with it.

I have however noticed that it's been on the market for 18 months, am I missing something?

It is well cut, but I usually recommend a pavilion angle of 40.6-40.9 for a ring, as lower angles can sometimes result in unwanted obstruction where the arrows stay dark at regular viewing distances.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t say that a certificate date corresponds to an “on the market” date. There are so many factors that determine when a stone comes to market. Fortunately, there’s no expiration date to optics!

Maybe @Texas Leaguer or @Rhino or @Rockdiamond can shed some light in that regard.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On second thought, LG598333100 may have subtle blue nuance.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
On second thought, LG598333100 may have subtle blue nuance.

And any chance of a grey tinge? After @Natylad’s thread, I’m a little paranoid of grey tinge.

Wish I could remember the gal who had to switch out her 2ct Lightbox stone with grey tinge. It would be nice to refresh mum memory with those pics.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
halu, what is your budget cap for just the loose diamond, pre-VAT?
We'll search the inventories of a bunch of sellers for diamonds with true ideal proportions and angles, great cut precision, and high optics...then we'll see if your preferred seller has access to any of them so that you can make a selection (and hopefully get a pre-VAT price match).

halu

Rough_Rock
halu, what is your budget cap for just the loose diamond, pre-VAT?
We'll search the inventories of a bunch of sellers for diamonds with true ideal proportions and angles, great cut precision, and high optics...then we'll see if your preferred seller has access to any of them so that you can make a selection (and hopefully get a pre-VAT price match).

That's so kind thanks so much! It's hard to talk about prices because I'm finding the price where you're looking (loosegrowndiamond) and where I have to buy (diamondsfactory.co.uk) vary wildly. I'm willing to go up if you advise me to, but so far I've been looking at <£1000 pre tax (on the uk website), 1.2-1.3ct, D color (this matters to her).

When I was searching, I found it useful to check if it's available on the UK website first so I wouldn't waste time if it wasn't. Their availability seems to be 75% of what's listed on US sites, but what's so strange is that some stones are just +30% (20% VAT 10% "deal with it" fee), but a few are +80% or more. I assume this has to do with them having extra costs for some specific supplier or something, but long story short those are out too. Searching there is very easy, just pick any ring then "choose specific diamond", you can copy paste the certificate number in the search box then.

Can I buy you a beer? :cool2:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results