shape
carat
color
clarity

Spent entire weekend learning about diamonds. Rate my pick

halu

Rough_Rock

Was looking for a premium 1.2-1.3ct diamond for an solitaire engagement ring. One that isn't the biggest, but objectively the prettiest in the room. Went down the rabbit hole read all the threads I could find in here and finally made my pick. Already ordered but can cancel if you convince me I messed up

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
I’m still learning, but I think it will be pretty! I wonder other people’s opinions if you should look for one with a hearts and arrows designation and how much that matters if proportions look good.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m still a newbie but looks great to me on the video! Great angles. No blue nuance. Juicy 15.5 crown, too. Fyi - it’s listed for $573 on Loose Grown Diamond. Don’t know where you bought, but maybe they can price match?

I’m sure the experts will chime in soon, and congrats on the upcoming engagement!

halu

Rough_Rock
I’m still a newbie but looks great to me on the video! Great angles. No blue nuance. Juicy 15.5 crown, too. Fyi - it’s listed for $573 on Loose Grown Diamond. Don’t know where you bought, but maybe they can price match?

I’m sure the experts will chime in soon, and congrats on the upcoming engagement!

Bought from diamondfactory in the UK, £868 after 20% tax. They are the store that had the design my fiance likes (already engaged with a plastic ring) and they don't allow bringing your own stone, so had to go with them. Ring included in 18k gold paid £1480 free shipping

halu

Rough_Rock
Bump

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link isnt working for me.

halu

Rough_Rock
Link isnt working for me.

Try copy pasting

https://www.stonealgo.com/diamond-details/igi-number-LG614314289

Video

https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG614314289/video/600/600

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@halu Are you still looking for opinions? You have the stone in hand, and sounds like it’s already set or being set. Do you love it? Are you able to exchange or return it still?

Sometimes people are reluctant to offer opinions on stones that can’t be returned bc the most important thing is that you’re happy with it.

Tagging @Kim N and @DejaWiz. To my eye this looks like a great stone, but would love
your thoughts.

halu

Rough_Rock
I'm very much interested in opinions, be blunt you won't hurt my feelings

I spent so long selecting it I'm very curious what an expert would think more than anything else. Maybe I learn something in the process too!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Not bad...not pinnacle great, but not bad.
Indications of some pavilion twist and possibly blue nuance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree, although I think it doesn't have blue nuance.

halu

Rough_Rock

I'll take that! Can you share what you're looking for to spot pavilion twist?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

halu

Rough_Rock
Sure thing!

Screenshot_20240116-120018-647.png

What exactly am I looking at? Is it the fact that the dark areas between arrows at the 10-12-2 positions are larger than they should be? Feel free to point me to any resources I can read if it's easier. And if you don't mind, how would you rate the cut? I understand pavilion twist is a common defect even for diamonds marketed as "nearly heart and arrows" so is this a 9/10 but not a 10 or more like a 6/10?

halu

Rough_Rock
I actually thought the back shows a lot more asymmetry than the front, though I'm not sure how relevant this is and whether it'd show when in a ring Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 18.16.12.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ideally, the light will reflect up, and the facets on the back are reflecting light to the eye of the viewer. The twist is what's being pointed out on the front view. We see the effects of the "back facets" (aka pavilion facets? ((someone here is laughing at my nomenclature))) on the front view ... which is all to say: this is why we look at the front view. Looking straight at the backside can't tell you the behavior of light coming out the front side.

I was seeing the pavilion twist, too, but didn't want to hurt your feelings. It's not that bad, either.

Personally (and I'm a newbie) I'd give your stone an 8-9/10 (depending on where 10 lies ... is 10 "generally ideal" or is 10 "JannPaul ideal?"). Definitely not a 6/10. I think you did GREAT! (Again, take everything I write with a grain of salt. I'm more "happy" than "accurate" as a newbie :lol:)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually thought the back shows a lot more asymmetry than the front, though I'm not sure how relevant this is and whether it'd show when in a ring Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 18.16.12.png

This image is not very helpful. You'd need an H&A viewer to evaluate the hearts more accurately.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly am I looking at? Is it the fact that the dark areas between arrows at the 10-12-2 positions are larger than they should be? Feel free to point me to any resources I can read if it's easier. And if you don't mind, how would you rate the cut? I understand pavilion twist is a common defect even for diamonds marketed as "nearly heart and arrows" so is this a 9/10 but not a 10 or more like a 6/10?

I'd rate this as 7.75-8 out of 10.

This is ideally what you want to see between the base of the arrows.

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104119876010-diamond-225971.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 1.34.27 PM.png

halu

Rough_Rock
I see, so any black in between the arrows beyond those little edges seen in the ideal pictures above is because light isn't being reflected perfectly straight up, hence the "twist"

8/10 is more than I was hoping for given that I knew nothing about diamonds last Friday. The range of prices for diamonds of 1.2ct triple X, D colour, VVS2 was £720-£1250 and I paid £868 (all prices include 20% tax). I saw the ones above £1200 all were marked as Hearts and Arrows on the report and didn't want to spend that much, I assume those would be the 9-10/10 so I think it's fair to say I got the best I could have gotten at that price point :) I could return it still, in fact I could probably email the company and change the stone as they haven't even confirmed the order yet but it doesn't sound like I could do much better without spending more

@0515vision no feelings hurt, I do mean it that I wanted genuine opinions! Thanks for the honesty

Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Sure thing!

Screenshot_20240116-120018-647.png

I'd rate this as 7.75-8 out of 10.

This is ideally what you want to see between the base of the arrows.

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-ags-104119876010-diamond-225971.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 1.34.27 PM.png

Wow! These images are SO helpful, @DejaWiz and @Kim N! I've been wondering what pavillion twist looked like but didn't want to bother anyone with questions. :)

It's true! A picture is worth a thousand words! Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This image is not very helpful. You'd need an H&A viewer to evaluate the hearts more accurately.
or a toilet paper tube.
Whats important is that everything* is aligned and parallel which is never the case in the videos.

*lighting/obstruction is even and the right amount,camera lens/fov centered to the stone, and the lens is parallel to the diamonds table which the diamond is sitting on.
In case of a tp tube or a h&a scope the diamond needs to be centered in the tube with the camera lens centered above it and parallel to the diamond table.

halu

Rough_Rock
Unexpected development:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results