shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond has no fire

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I have had this diamond for about 6 months now. I put a lot of time, effort and research in finding the perfect diamond with the perfect cut. After declining a lot of diamonds from my jeweler I finally came across a 1.01ct round brilliant diamond with a HCA score of 1.6 (ex ex ex vg).l, hearts and arrows under the hearts and arrow viewer.

I always thought it was nice and sparkly
However lately I have started to take note of other people’s diamonds and mine just doesn’t seem to compare. The other diamonds are more clear and glassier with flecks of blue. Mine always is just white, it doesn’t seem to have any fire at all no matter what lighting it’s under. I always clean it and it still doesn’t change the lack of fire.

I’m so upset as I really wanted a beautiful sparkly diamond but it just seems to fall flat a lot of the time and just looks white.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I think that fire makes a diamond look so beautiful and it’s disappointing that this diamond which was quite expensive ($15000 AUD including the ring)
7A61EE78-8819-4BB9-8F0A-BEEE1BCA763D.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity? Fluorescence? When was the last time it was thoroughly cleaned?
Can't speak to hearts and arrows patterns from that one photo but general proportions certainly aren't whackadoo.
You should not be seeing no coloured light output from this stone unless there is a problem that that photo doesn't show.

"The other diamonds are more clear and glassier with flecks of blue"
When you make this observation... Where are you? What is the lighting environment?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds require a light source to be able to refract the light to create fire. Indoor lighting is not ideal, especially incandescent lighting. How does it look in the sunshine?
Is it clean? Simple things like hand lotions and hand sanitizer will form a fine film on the diamond that will reduce its ability to sparkle.
Another point to consider, are the other diamonds you’re admiring actually diamonds? Moissanite is a man made diamond look a like (and very popular due to its price point) and it has a higher dispersion than diamond. There are also other man made diamond like gems ie Strontium Titanite with even higher dispersion.
If your jeweller is open, ask them to give it an ultrasonic and steam clean for you.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I have attached the GIA report and the images I received from the jeweler prior to purchase.

I thoroughly clean it pretty much every day. It falls even more flat if it’s not clean.

When I made the observation about the other diamonds they have been while I’m at work under bright lighting but I’m wearing my ring too under the same lighting and there’s no fire where as the person who is standing right next to me diamond looks sparkly with blue flecks.

00833603-39FC-49BC-B063-AC226E94724F.jpeg 39F7B587-173F-46D5-BC64-4B1B954BA384.jpeg

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Can't speak to hearts and arrows patterns from that one photo but general proportions certainly aren't whackadoo.
You should not be seeing no coloured light output from this stone unless there is a problem that that photo doesn't show.

When you make this observation... Where are you? What is the lighting environment?

Sorry I’m new to all of this. Please see comment below in response to your message :)

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an answer for you, but I can empathize. I had a beautifully cut diamond that was icy white and lovely, but had almost no fire. It bothered me enough that I actually ended up trading it in. While going through the process again, I spent a lot of time looking at diamonds in different lighting conditions just to be sure I was pleased with what I was seeing.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I don't have an answer for you, but I can empathize. I had a beautifully cut diamond that was icy white and lovely, but had almost no fire. It bothered me enough that I actually ended up trading it in. While going through the process again, I spent a lot of time looking at diamonds in different lighting conditions just to be sure I was pleased with what I was seeing.

It is starting to really bother me too! I don’t understand how it all went wrong but I’m starting to think my only option is to trade it in too

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I’m not an expert so I don’t have an answer for you. So disheartening bc you should love your diamond every time you look down at it. So sorry. :( Can you take some photos yourself? Maybe it does look beautiful and firey in certain lighting but you don’t see it?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I feel for you...I have a GIA xxx that only has a HCA score of 4.8...So compared to that one I'm sure your diamond has more fire. With that said you should really love your stone.
My GIA stone actually get "out-sparkled" by the pave stones in the setting, but maybe that's common?

I, nor my fiance, loved that stone so we bought another and are going to sell it at some point.

I wish you all the best and that you'll end up with something you love.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have attached the GIA report and the images I received from the jeweler prior to purchase.

I thoroughly clean it pretty much every day. It falls even more flat if it’s not clean.

When I made the observation about the other diamonds they have been while I’m at work under bright lighting but I’m wearing my ring too under the same lighting and there’s no fire where as the person who is standing right next to me diamond looks sparkly with blue flecks.

Are you further away from the other rings?

If so, the 'rainbow fans' of dispersion will have a greater distance to fan out, meaning each colour 'band' will be larger.

When a coloured 'band' within the rainbow fan is larger than your pupil, you will only see that colour.

When all of the dispersion / rainbow fan enters your pupil at the same time, you will only see white light (all the colours combined).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it first. Get just boiled water and put a degreaser in it like Mr. Clean citrus or dawn dishwashing detergent and let it soak for a long time. Scrub with toothbrush and rinse. Loupe it and if you see more grime, do it all again.

Better yet get an ultrasonic from amazon.

After you scrub all the grime off, and it is loupe clean, come back and tell us if it makes a difference.

Pay special attention to the underneath of the diamond when cleaning.

There is a difference between cleaning it and CLEANING IT.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Agree with cleaning vs CLEANING. However, I will say that I have a pair of ACA studs that do not sparkle nearly as much as my GIA XXX (HCA less than 2) engagement ring. The ACAs are gorgeous, white and bright, but do not twinkle as much as my ring. I haven't compared the angles to figure out what the difference is, but when I upgrade my studs to a larger size, I will request more sparkle/twinkle/fire.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you further away from the other rings?

If so, the 'rainbow fans' of dispersion will have a greater distance to fan out, meaning each colour 'band' will be larger.

When a coloured 'band' within the rainbow fan is larger than your pupil, you will only see that colour.

When all of the dispersion / rainbow fan enters your pupil at the same time, you will only see white light (all the colours combined).

You make a good point. My friends couldn't understand what I was talking about. Maybe they saw the fire in my diamond, but since I couldn't, I was unhappy. If @Eeveepenny is experiencing the same thing, it's probably better for her to move on with a stone that delivers what she's craving.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What type of lighting are you looking at the other diamonds in and have you looked at both side by side in the exact same lighting?

A well cut diamond will look white instead of crystal like more because it is returning light more often and brighter.
Fire is very lighting dependent.
Bright spot lights, shaded sunlight or high bright light sources(warehouse stores), sunlight under a tree is awesome.

Its possible you just dont like your diamonds personality. It happens.

oec, asschers, EC, and some cushions will show fire more often and generally larger fire than a mrb.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
You are in Australia. I would be happy to assess the diamond for you or recommend a nearby appraiser valuer gemologist.
I am in Melbourne

Hi Gary, thank you but I am in Brisbane. Are you able to please recommend anyone in Bris? Thank you :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Gary, thank you but I am in Brisbane. Are you able to please recommend anyone in Bris? Thank you :)

Yes. Perhaps I can break a rule and ask you to contact me.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is all about lighting.
In the photo you uploaded here, you have alot white and white diffused light. In such environment, you will not see any fire at all.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry about how you feel about your diamond.... yes cleaning can be an issue... an ultrasonic is good to have. If you haven’t got an ultrasonic, cos it can get expensive..... I got a glasses/spectacle ultrasonic form eBay for my rings. It’s pretty cheap and good under $aud20.

I am now in search of a steam cleaner for more precious gems.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a video of the diamond and move it around under different lighting?

You can also put it in near boiling water mixed with Dawn foaming (be sure to use the foaming version, it makes a big difference). Then clean with a brand new toothbrush.

My diamond was looking cloudy, and I had to get it steam cleaned at the jeweler 2x and cleaned with Dawn foaming 2x to get it back to its original clarity and sparkle!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
You can also put it in near boiling water mixed with Dawn foaming (be sure to use the foaming version, it makes a big difference). Then clean with a brand new toothbrush.

I should add that you'll want to soak it in the hot water mixture for at least 20 minutes and for the water to cool before handling it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should add that you'll want to soak it in the hot water mixture for at least 20 minutes and for the water to cool before handling it.

I disagree. After 44 years cleaning diamonds.
This video is using a little vibrating cleaner - but using a tooth brush and a 3 minute soak works better than all the soaking in cold water and wishy washy products for 3 weeks ;-)

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Yes. Perhaps I can break a rule and ask you to contact me.

Hi Gary,
I’m not sure how to contact you? I got an ideal scope and was able to take some images and would love to hear your opinion on them. The photos seem to be inconsistent, with some showing more light leakage than others. However none of them seem to be what I was hoping for, they seem to have a lot of light leakage which I’m devastated about. Please let me know your thoughts

F1888E69-F4D4-4C72-9F47-35E7C9809A1E.jpeg C8EB947C-9212-465E-A44D-82F37DFDB971.jpeg F1888E69-F4D4-4C72-9F47-35E7C9809A1E.jpeg 793340C3-E7B4-41D4-A411-FFCD97B5C88F.jpeg 198610BE-3809-48C2-BA22-7ADCCE44650D.jpeg

srke

Shiny_Rock
Are you comparing the stones side by side or are you just observing the occasional flash of light from the ring on someone elses hand on passing?

Gemsheeny1

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have had this diamond for about 6 months now. I put a lot of time, effort and research in finding the perfect diamond with the perfect cut. After declining a lot of diamonds from my jeweler I finally came across a 1.01ct round brilliant diamond with a HCA score of 1.6 (ex ex ex vg).l, hearts and arrows under the hearts and arrow viewer.

However lately I have started to take note of other people’s diamonds and mine just doesn’t seem to compare. The other diamonds are more clear and glassier with flecks of blue. Mine always is just white, it doesn’t seem to have any fire at all no matter what lighting it’s under. I always clean it and it still doesn’t change the lack of fire.

I’m so upset as I really wanted a beautiful sparkly diamond but it just seems to fall flat a lot of the time and just looks white.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I think that fire makes a diamond look so beautiful and it’s disappointing that this diamond which was quite expensive ($15000 AUD including the ring)

Diamonds can
Are you comparing the stones side by side or are you just observing the occasional flash of light from the ring on someone elses hand on passing?

Some diamonds naturally come with built-in fire!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
put it in boiling water chilled with ammonia and detergent or Windex
Scrub with a firm toothbrush
or send it to me

I agree with this over the ultrasonic. I kept using that plus the steam and my 3x stone was very disappointing. Then I cleaned it as stated above (Dawn) and I love it again and it is a really hard call as to whether it isn’t as good of a performer to my BGD.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock

Sorry to hear you do not like the "behaviour" of your diamond. It looks very pretty on the picture. Have you tried filming it under a few different light conditions? For example, under direct sun light, in the shade on a sunny day, under LED lights indoors etc.? It might give you a more objective impression of how your ring is "performing" than what your eyes are telling you.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear you do not like the "behaviour" of your diamond. It looks very pretty on the picture. Have you tried filming it under a few different light conditions? For example, under direct sun light, in the shade on a sunny day, under LED lights indoors etc.? It might give you a more objective impression of how your ring is "performing" than what your eyes are telling you.

I have looked in all different lighting and there is no fire :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results