shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond from wifes engagement ring was switched out during service HELP!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a VERY good thing you bought a GIA graded stone in the first place! And I agree with all the good advice to demand a full refund or you'll be contacting a lawyer or the police. The fact that he isn't offering you a GIA I VS2 replacement speaks volumes.

Then come back here and we will help you find a great oval and setting from a reputable source!

junebug58

Rough_Rock
I bought my wifes diamond engagement ring from a diamond broker here in new orleans. I bought it in Jan of 2016 proposed feb of 2017. We bought our bands from the broker too. he uses local jewelers to set stones and make pieces for him and he has a big catalogue of bands and settings etc we ordered from. Here is the problem. I took it back to him before the wedding to pick up the bands and he kept the engagement ring and took it to his jeweler to have it cleaned. We got it back got married and my wife kept telling me that it looked yellow and dirty. I told her we just needed to clean it. Then one day in the sonic cleaner one of the small pave stones in the settings came out. So i took it back to the broker and he took it to his jeweler to have it re-set. we get the ring back wife still complains about the yellow ness. She says the diamond has been switched cause its not the same. I assure her she is crazy, so i take it to an independent jeweler and ask him to verify the diamond is the same one that is on my gia certification etching matched my certificate and it is not!!!!!!!!. so im blown away here I bought and had the certification for an 2.00 carat I color vs2 oval diamond and what was in there was another gia certified diamond with laser etching saying it was a 2.00 carat K color VS2. I took the diamond to my broker told him it had been switched out and he looked at the numbers with his loop and sure enough it was a different stone. He has offered to replace the stone with an EGSL certified stone that is a 2.00 carat G color si1 oval stone.

My wife is unhappy its not the stone i proposed with and I dont even know if it is as good as the stone i originally bought. PLease help me i dont know what to do or accept?

I bought my wifes diamond engagement ring from a diamond broker here in new orleans. I bought it in Jan of 2016 proposed feb of 2017. We bought our bands from the broker too. he uses local jewelers to set stones and make pieces for him and he has a big catalogue of bands and settings etc we ordered from. Here is the problem. I took it back to him before the wedding to pick up the bands and he kept the engagement ring and took it to his jeweler to have it cleaned. We got it back got married and my wife kept telling me that it looked yellow and dirty. I told her we just needed to clean it. Then one day in the sonic cleaner one of the small pave stones in the settings came out. So i took it back to the broker and he took it to his jeweler to have it re-set. we get the ring back wife still complains about the yellow ness. She says the diamond has been switched cause its not the same. I assure her she is crazy, so i take it to an independent jeweler and ask him to verify the diamond is the same one that is on my gia certification etching matched my certificate and it is not!!!!!!!!. so im blown away here I bought and had the certification for an 2.00 carat I color vs2 oval diamond and what was in there was another gia certified diamond with laser etching saying it was a 2.00 carat K color VS2. I took the diamond to my broker told him it had been switched out and he looked at the numbers with his loop and sure enough it was a different stone. He has offered to replace the stone with an EGSL certified stone that is a 2.00 carat G color si1 oval stone.

My wife is unhappy its not the stone i proposed with and I dont even know if it is as good as the stone i originally bought. PLease help me i dont know what to do or accept?

junebug58

Rough_Rock
Since it sounds like your Diamond was laser inscribed and the broker you took the ring to sent it out to his jeweler I would make the broker contact his jeweler and the jeweler tract the Diamond down. Obviously the jeweler was the one that switched it and he would have had to pull up a GIA report in order to reinventory it to resell if it’s sold and will have to find a way to get the Diamond back. Let the broker and jeweler do the work for you if your wife truly wants her Diamond back. I’m sure if after you put heat on them if they can’t find it then they will have to come up with a Diamond that should be better than the one you originally had.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure why you’re not going to the police with this - it’s your property they’ve stolen/lost. It could have been an accidental swap but.. if so, why would they be trying to give you a replacement that’s not equivalent rather pulling out all stops to find your diamond?
I would be getting my diamond back or getting a full refund and going somewhere less shady.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results