shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond from wifes engagement ring was switched out during service HELP!!!

bnchad

Rough_Rock
I bought my wifes diamond engagement ring from a diamond broker here in new orleans. I bought it in Jan of 2016 proposed feb of 2017. We bought our bands from the broker too. he uses local jewelers to set stones and make pieces for him and he has a big catalogue of bands and settings etc we ordered from. Here is the problem. I took it back to him before the wedding to pick up the bands and he kept the engagement ring and took it to his jeweler to have it cleaned. We got it back got married and my wife kept telling me that it looked yellow and dirty. I told her we just needed to clean it. Then one day in the sonic cleaner one of the small pave stones in the settings came out. So i took it back to the broker and he took it to his jeweler to have it re-set. we get the ring back wife still complains about the yellow ness. She says the diamond has been switched cause its not the same. I assure her she is crazy, so i take it to an independent jeweler and ask him to verify the diamond is the same one that is on my gia certification etching matched my certificate and it is not!!!!!!!!. so im blown away here I bought and had the certification for an 2.00 carat I color vs2 oval diamond and what was in there was another gia certified diamond with laser etching saying it was a 2.00 carat K color VS2. I took the diamond to my broker told him it had been switched out and he looked at the numbers with his loop and sure enough it was a different stone. He has offered to replace the stone with an EGSL certified stone that is a 2.00 carat G color si1 oval stone.

My wife is unhappy its not the stone i proposed with and I dont even know if it is as good as the stone i originally bought. PLease help me i dont know what to do or accept?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for a refund for fraud and start over here. If he says no, threaten to go to the media.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my wifes diamond engagement ring from a diamond broker here in new orleans. I bought it in Jan of 2016 proposed feb of 2017. We bought our bands from the broker too. he uses local jewelers to set stones and make pieces for him and he has a big catalogue of bands and settings etc we ordered from. Here is the problem. I took it back to him before the wedding to pick up the bands and he kept the engagement ring and took it to his jeweler to have it cleaned. We got it back got married and my wife kept telling me that it looked yellow and dirty. I told her we just needed to clean it. Then one day in the sonic cleaner one of the small pave stones in the settings came out. So i took it back to the broker and he took it to his jeweler to have it re-set. we get the ring back wife still complains about the yellow ness. She says the diamond has been switched cause its not the same. I assure her she is crazy, so i take it to an independent jeweler and ask him to verify the diamond is the same one that is on my gia certification etching matched my certificate and it is not!!!!!!!!. so im blown away here I bought and had the certification for an 2.00 carat I color vs2 oval diamond and what was in there was another gia certified diamond with laser etching saying it was a 2.00 carat K color VS2. I took the diamond to my broker told him it had been switched out and he looked at the numbers with his loop and sure enough it was a different stone. He has offered to replace the stone with an EGSL certified stone that is a 2.00 carat G color si1 oval stone.

My wife is unhappy its not the stone i proposed with and I dont even know if it is as good as the stone i originally bought. PLease help me i dont know what to do or accept?

Make a sheriff's report. Your stone was stolen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't use a diamond broker.
They make you broker.

Learn here, buy it yourself, and save money and get a better diamond.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full refund!! No leg to stand on!! You can PROVE the diamond doesn’t match the certificate!!! Full refund, and take your business elsewhere!!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not continue to do business with this person. You have a strong case to get all of your money refunded and you can start over with someone reputable. I understand your wife will be upset because the original and sentimental stone is gone, but.....it is gone. An EGL G, Si1 will not be the same as a GIA G, Si1, so you are not comparing apples to apples here and you will be losing out on money. I know you have a relationship with this person, but to save yourself trouble, heart ache and money, ask for a refund and move on. I'm so sorry!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you paid by credit card and he won't refund, the CC company may refund you on the basis you didn't get what you paid for.

I'd still be tempted to call the police if he won't refund (and even after he has...) - who else has he done it to?

Q

Queenie60

Yes it is grand theft. Happened to me several years ago. I called the police and found that the jeweler had done this to many other customers and was already under investigation. My insurance company paid me for the stone and went after jewelry for fraud. Needless to say, he went to prison for 4 years however the sad part is that he is out and probably doing this elsewhere under an assumed name. Sorry for you OP however there is recourse.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. You don’t “accidentally” set a different diamond into a ring. It’s not as if while working on your ring it’s sitting amongst a “sea” of same size diamonds and “oops, I dropped it, now which one was it?”
Switching out and replacing with a very similiar diamond Im wondering if it was because your diamond somehow got damaged. Nevertheless, you do not replace someone’s diamond without telling them.
I’d demand a full refund plus some and go elsewhere.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh! What an experience... it's not just colour and clarity ... but cut. And an EGL graded diamond often isn't comparable to GIA as others have said.

But the trust is no longer there. I also recommend turning a bad experience into a better one and buying elsewhere, demanding a full refund. :angryfire: Let us know how you go...

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd file a police report and demand my money back. DONT settle for the EGL diamond, that would be a serious downgrade.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go to the police! He could be stealing from many others too so time to stop it!!! :x2

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Right up until the very end of your story I was hoping for the jeweler on this. A lot of people worry about this and usually, they’re wrong. It could have been anyone in the chain who did you wrong after all. That makes it an insurance problem. Then he offered to replace it. What? That’s an admission that it’s his fault and it’s a problem with the original transaction, which occurred before the insurance was in force. Insurance wouldn’t apply. So……

#1 Get a full refund on everything. Real money, not a credit. Undo the whole deal. Diamond, mounting, setting fees, shipping, taxes, whatever was in the deal. All of it.

#2 Shop around. Find a stone and a ring you like. If the jeweler wants to bid to keep your business, that’ll be fine but there’s no obligation that you accept his offer. Maybe buy the ring from him to preserve continuity but it’s up to you, not him. Frankly, I wouldn’t. Chances are good that the catalog you saw is from one of the big industry providers like Stuller Settings or Overnight Mountings. Your appraiser can probably tell you based on the marks in the ring. Nearly every jeweler works with all of these big companies and can get everything they make.

#3 Live happily ever after. This is a fluke, but it’s not a disaster. All of this is readily solvable and he’s already taken responsibility. That’s a really good sign. There’s even a pretty good chance that it wasn’t deliberate fraud. Mistakes happen although it doesn’t really matter. If what you got is different from what you paid for, he needs to make it right.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't use a diamond broker.
They make you broker.

Learn here, buy it yourself, and save money and get a better diamond.
Every dealer you can buy from, including every dealer here, is a broker. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live part time in NOLA. Can you give a general area where this jeweler is? Thanks.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone said earlier, if you insured the ring, you have a claim (It was stolen).

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just want to say I am sorry for what happened. It's really crappy. :angryfire:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, definitely do not accept another stone from this person. That is theft. Your stone was stolen. As everyone said, get your money back and file a police report.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It never occurred to me to say "thank goodness for crappy prongs" until now.

Informed advice ^. Outside of that, I am sorry for your trouble. Truly.

Sharon

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock

Rubylou

Rough_Rock
This is bad. I feel bad for your wife - understandably she does want the one you proposed with! I would report the theft and don't be quiet - that is what he wants.

Can't you report a theft to GIA? If the diamond was inscribed and you have the original report...

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:
Refund and complain to your local better business bureau/consumer affairs entity. Then, if all else fails, go to the media.

This jeweller is scum in my books for doing this to you!!!:x2:x2:x2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results