shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond E vs. F? Is that a big differences?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OCgirl|1307481968|2940127 said:
Wow how come I didn't see this thread any sooner.

Is your friend MY friend? I was very tempted to start a thread regarding a very similar issue I encountered a few weeks ago. One of my really good friends own a 1.1 ct E VVS2 brand name engagement ring (we are Asians and her knowledge of diamonds is limited) and she found out I got a bigger stone but with G SI1 specs for less than half of the price she paid for. She started talking as if my diamond is super low quality. I was shocked and upset. She said, "I wouldn't even go below F for a pendant, let alone an engagement ring." Nowhere in our conversation did cut quality come up. I tried to tell her that as long as a diamond is well cut (mine is an AGS000), the color difference between an E and a G is ridiculously small. I saw a GIA very good cut E color diamond that looks like an H. But of course none of those mattered. I decided to drop the topic because it's pointless to talk to people who don't want to spend the time to do their research. They just want to blindly follow what others are doing and brag about the high color and clarity (and maybe how expensive it is to pay for the "high quality) when you can't see ANY difference with your naked eyes.

Funny thing is I took her to my local jeweler and we compared her ring to an ideal cut 1.0 ct F VS2 stone, she couldn't tell the difference. But somehow that still didn't change her view on things.

I think bottomline is you should go for what YOU want, not what others want. It is your engagement ring. I am glad I did my research and found a beautiful stone. I am glad you are doing yours, too =)

And such a rude thing to say! Believing it is one thing, but to demean another person's ring is just rude.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307485348|2940192 said:

Is your friend MY friend? I was very tempted to start a thread regarding a very similar issue I encountered a few weeks ago. One of my really good friends own a 1.1 ct E VVS2 brand name engagement ring (we are Asians and her knowledge of diamonds is limited) and she found out I got a bigger stone but with G SI1 specs for less than half of the price she paid for. She started talking as if my diamond is super low quality. I was shocked and upset. She said, "I wouldn't even go below F for a pendant, let alone an engagement ring." Nowhere in our conversation did cut quality come up. I tried to tell her that as long as a diamond is well cut (mine is an AGS000), the color difference between an E and a G is ridiculously small. I saw a GIA very good cut E color diamond that looks like an H. But of course none of those mattered. I decided to drop the topic because it's pointless to talk to people who don't want to spend the time to do their research. They just want to blindly follow what others are doing and brag about the high color and clarity (and maybe how expensive it is to pay for the "high quality) when you can't see ANY difference with your naked eyes.

Funny thing is I took her to my local jeweler and we compared her ring to an ideal cut 1.0 ct F VS2 stone, she couldn't tell the difference. But somehow that still didn't change her view on things.

I think bottomline is you should go for what YOU want, not what others want. It is your engagement ring. I am glad I did my research and found a beautiful stone. I am glad you are doing yours, too =)

And such a rude thing to say! Believing it is one thing, but to demean another person's ring is just rude.

Yea she said some other things but I do not want to recall nor recite it to upset myself all over again :nono:

It was VERY upsetting because it took me hours and hours of research. I went to so many stores to physically examine the differences in colors and clarities. I eventually got my stone from Brian Gavin and I am ABSOULTEY thrilled with my purchase. The stone is gorgeous.

Too bad some people just can't appreciate it :roll:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I got a G and found it too yellow. I then got a very high E almost D and found it to be too white. I think F is perfect for me :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lexislexis|1307468219|2939938 said:
Circe|1307467842|2939931 said:
Ditto Dreamer - I took the GIA diamond grading course, and even the pro's, a) sometimes cannot tell the difference between the two without a master set, and, b) can disagree about the grading with a master set!

Thank you.
So now i'm only concern about the clarity problem.
I saw there's flaw on the microscope report like show on BN, and i wonder how much different will it make?
if i'm choosing F color, triple Ex, is VS2/1 good enough? How will it reflect the brightness and whiteness to the stone when we see it naked eyes?
good enough to look like D IF to me.. :bigsmile: most Asians know nothing about cut quality all they care about is high color & clarity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lexislexis|1307472011|2939999 said:
Circe|1307470447|2939978 said:
I'd say it would be worth paying a little more elsewhere, just to maintain some privacy ....

This is what my Fiancée said, buy somewhere else.
But his "deal" seems really tempted.
Well for now, i will keep doing research and will compare what he is selling just for my own protection.
show us an example of his so call DEAL... :bigsmile:

lexislexis

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1307481553|2940118 said:
you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference with naked eyes like the rest of them said =)

As long as the differences are not that noticeable, i will gladly accept the so-called "lower spec". I don't want get myself deeply into debt. I just want to best spend my money without the seller inject the ideas into my head.

lexislexis

Rough_Rock

Is your friend MY friend?.....

I'm on the same boat as you and definitely feel you. Yes my friend was rude like your friend. keep emphasizing hey my E color 1.2c is way better than her F 1.6c. Although i don't know the other party, but i feel bad about that too. So i was like should i just buy what other thinks are "appropriate"? For a 1.5c E color and above VS1 from what i see, usually cost well over 20K, i haven't even go to the B&M store yet, so i'm pretty sure the price will be much higher than that. And means i can no longer afford that.

*Sigh* Asian culture emphasize way too much on appearance without even knowing anything. Sad somehow.

lexislexis

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1307488802|2940237 said:

I don't know what my friends are comparing to, i only know they "saved" around 3-4K compare to the brick and mortar store's price, they claim they got even got a higher spec than they originally planned to as the uncle offer them something higher quality and better.

I haven't ask the uncle yet because i feel if i ask now, he will think i'm ready to purchase in his store. sometime i think it is troublesome because i just want a price quote. but with my friend said how she/he had saved .... hmmm .... i feel like i need more time.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
lexislexis|1307489886|2940254 said:

I'm on the same boat as you and definitely feel you. Yes my friend was rude like your friend. keep emphasizing hey my E color 1.2c is way better than her F 1.6c. Although i don't know the other party, but i feel bad about that too. So i was like should i just buy what other thinks are "appropriate"? For a 1.5c E color and above VS1 from what i see, usually cost well over 20K, i haven't even go to the B&M store yet, so i'm pretty sure the price will be much higher than that. And means i can no longer afford that.

*Sigh* Asian culture emphasize way too much on appearance without even knowing anything. Sad somehow.

I agree with you on this sad truth about Asian culture~ I guess I'll just accept the fact that other will "look down" on my ring and be happy with it myself, since I don't really care about what they thinks~ :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lexislexis|1307490256|2940258 said:
Dancing Fire|1307488802|2940237 said:

I don't know what my friends are comparing to, i only know they "saved" around 3-4K compare to the brick and mortar store's price, they claim they got even got a higher spec than they originally planned to as the uncle offer them something higher quality and better.

I haven't ask the uncle yet because i feel if i ask now, he will think i'm ready to purchase in his store. sometime i think it is troublesome because i just want a price quote. but with my friend said how she/he had saved .... hmmm .... i feel like i need more time.
that could be true but still doesn't prove the stone is well cut.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1307490467|2940266 said:

I agree with you on this sad truth about Asian culture~ I guess I'll just accept the fact that other will "look down" on my ring and be happy with it myself, since I don't really care about what they thinks~ :bigsmile:

No kidding. I was borderline depressed for a day or two. I was talking to another friend and I told him I never really wanted a brand name ring because to me a diamond is a diamond. He kind of "implied" that I'm just saying that because we can't afford a brand name ring and thus I am bitter! Bear in mind that these people love brand names but know little to nothing about diamonds.

Anyway no one should feel *inferior* about her ring in any shape or form. It's your ring and you should love it with all your heart. FORGET those ignorant people! :wink2:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
OCgirl|1307493103|2940313 said:
minmin001|1307490467|2940266 said:

No kidding. I was borderline depressed for a day or two. I was talking to another friend and I told him I never really wanted a brand name ring because to me a diamond is a diamond. He kind of "implied" that I'm just saying that because we can't afford a brand name ring and thus I am bitter! Bear in mind that these people love brand names but know little to nothing about diamonds.

Anyway no one should feel *inferior* about her ring in any shape or form. It's your ring and you should love it with all your heart. FORGET those ignorant people! :wink2:

yup, I'm glad you feel the same way. =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OC... I gotta tell ya. If that's a friend, I'd hate to see what a rival of yours is like. First thing I thought is... what an ignorant little b*tch.

Okay. So let me clarify. I have been to BGD and sat with Brian and he pulled out like 20 stones for me to look at (it was fun)... when I am comparing stones SIDE BY SIDE and UNSET... yes, I can tell the difference between a D and an F. It's not that I can say... HEY that's an F for sure... but I can say... hey that stone is slightly more tinted (slightly, slightly, slightly) than this one here that is so white it makes my eyes hurt.

But as someone said. Cold? Just pull a diamond out of a hat and grade the sucker ... knowing it is a D, E, or F but not which? Forgetabout it. And then you set them... all bets are off.

And my eyes are, for a consumer who doesn't have a GG, pretty darned well trained after being an active PSer with jewelry obsession for over 5 years.

I own an F myself. And a G. And a K/L. And you know what... all are "ideal" cut... and they are all stunning.

As for clarity. I have a VS1 that has an inclusion vaguely near the table. With a 40x loupe I can spot the sucker. When it's clean. With a 10x loupe. Nope... not even 8 years ago when my eyes were younger.

You will be FINE with a VS1 no matter WHERE the inclusion is as long as it is GIA or AGS.

OC... Just look at what you paid and think... how much money did they WASTE on their ignorance. And how much money have you saved... and are you going to keep saving. Tell her to KEEP her E VVS... someone's gotta do it. We'll take our "lower quality stones" and laugh all the way to bank!

Rough_Rock
You are buying a diamond, not some numbers on a piece of paper. Go find the one that you like, and buy it. Ignore all other haters that have nothing good to say about your purchase.
I don't want to come across as a mean spirit person BUT screw the "asian culture" thing. Do you want to lead or follow? Be different or the same as most others around you?
Btw, I am asian too, culture and customs not always the right things to follow.
I am sure you are not proposing to your fiancee based on what your friend or anyone else suggestion, so why have to listen and worry about what they think about your engagement ring?
The stone I selected for my fiancee is 1.04 carat BGD Blue I VS2 and she is thrilled about it and she doesn't care what color, clarity it is.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Firstly, stand your ground and do not let others influence your decision. Having said that, I applaud you for coming here to learn more about diamonds ;-) I warn you... it can be quite addictive! :Up_to_something:

Anyway, like you, I'm Asian. I started reading up on diamonds when my FI said he'd buy me one. I didn't expect him to but was nevertheless happy and ecstatic :tongue: . His first thought was to just get a 1 carat D IF diamond, which to me was an absolute waste of money (no offence to those who own one, I just don't see the need to pay for something no one could tell). So I put my foot down and told him I'd choose the diamond myself.

After a couple months of research, I chose a 1.2ct I VS2 diamond from BGD. When I received the stone (loose, unset), I could tell the slight tint when looking through the pavilion on a white piece of paper. This bothered me a little, but due to the difficulty in getting a tax refund if I return the stone, I decided to keep it. I have NOT regretted that decision since :praise: After setting, my diamond just look absolutely white face up! Sometimes in certain lighting, I can see a very, very slight tint from the pavilion, but the fire and scintillation of the stone just takes my breath away. Just 2 days ago I compared my diamond with my sister's G VS2 and we couldn't tell them apart. I've received numerous compliments of how bright my diamond is. One time my FI and I were browsing at a B&M shop and the sales assistant asked where I bought my diamond from as it is gorgeous :twirl:

It is not about affordability too. My FI would have the means to buy me a more expensive diamond, but 1.2ct is just the right size for me and I don't see the need to go above near-colorless grade nor VS clarity grade.

Good luck in your diamond purchase and remember, DO NOT let your friend / uncle / whoever influence you.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I'd find it quite rude to comment negatively on anyone's ring (Is this okay in other cultures or is it generally bad across the board?). I am aware of cultural preferences toward higher colors but I couldn't imagine doing anything but congratulating a friend/loved one upon them receiving their ring! If it's not your taste, simply congratulate them. No need to critique/judge/etc or feel compelled to gush on about how much you love it. Everyone has their own preference regarding setting style, color, clarity, cut, shape, etc. One person may gravitate toward a D IF AGS 000, another an M antique stone. Neither are wrong, they just picked what was right for them.

I saw an OEC listed on ebay that was a GIA Q-R. The seller had the following scale listed in their auction:
-D, E RAREST WHITE
-F, G RARE WHITE
-H WHITE
-I, J TINTED WHITE
-K-Z HORRIBLE COLOR

Really? I'm sure there is a general preference overall towards colorless/near colorless stones and the value of them, but there will be consumers that appreciate warmth... and they've just alienated that audience. You either like warmth or you don't (or you do but it depends on the shape ;-) ) -- but your preference doesn't make all the others awful.

lexislexis

Rough_Rock
-------------

Gypsy, it's that asian thing that keep them arrogant. Just like OCgirl, we both have friends like that, listening to them bitching is one thing, and will the other follow that is another thing. Sometime it is like if you don't "follow" you will be judge. So i'm still thinking should i even go to her uncles'.

And i heard a lot of praises on Brian Gavin here on PS, so if i can't find what am i looking for in local, i think i will drop by there too. Just a long road trip that is it. :lol:

---------------

100, then you must know the "pressure" of the asian culture. And you are right about the number things. Overall it is just numbers, and who's gonna carry around and show everyone which grade is the diamond. But the harsh talking sometime drove me insane. It is very rude, and especially i'm not in asia no more, the "tighter" communities make the "gossip" spread around faster and bigger. sometime it is not even true. be honest, my soon-to-be MIL did that a lot to us, we literally have to left that communities just to keep our ears silent.

---------------

Happybear,

i will keep that in mind, do not let anybody influence my decision. I know even if i can afford a color D and IF diamond, i wouldn't do that, definitely no point. It is just the "yellowish" talks they had on the F bothers me a bit. I definitely don't get why she had to do that, hey not everyone is rich like her fiancée, and the main reason she chose him is due to his wealthiness!!! Shame on her.

What is a tax refund on diamond?

Thank you, i will keep looking and searching on the one i'm looking for, hope it turns out soon.

----------------

Pixies, i can't say for the others, but at least for where i am, and the influence of the culture, people do pay a lot of attention on what you wear, what you have, and how much you earn. I'm currently in the US, and it is still valid for the asian communities in here.

They need "the best" of everything especially on material things. I ain't saying it is not a good thing, but the "competition" is just crazy imo. watched the news on "tiger-mom", well i'm not gonna talk about that but that asian culture. Hard on everything. They don't usually praise, most of the time it is only harsh comment. I'm so lucky i don't grow up in such environment in my own household, but my relative does that thru my own life, and still doing that even i am a grown-up now.

Ditto on what you said, "your preferences doesn't make all the others awful."

I feel i get so much support here .... before asking around here, i really have so much doubt getting a F color diamond. Isn't it i don't have now, but i feel so much better as it is overall not that bad as my friends claimed to be.

-------------

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
Sounds to me like your friend is just JEALOUS and worried, that your fiancée might end up with a bigger, better looking diamond than she has. And also she has loyalties to and maybe pressure from her uncle. You should have no worries, and no pressure. I guess you've got to ask yourself, what is more important, making your friend happy, or making your future wife happy? This should be an exciting, time for you and for your fiancée, don't let ANYONE get in the way of that! You can always tell your friend, politely, "I would like to do this on my own, it will feel more personal to me that way. Thanks anyway for your input." - Done. When you get the diamond, you are not obligated to tell her anything, you can just say, "I think I got the best for what I could afford. Thanks for asking." The other PS'ers here have given you some great, experienced, free, and non commissioned advice. Enjoy!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I think your concerns go far beyond the quality of a diamond. Asians don't have a monopoly on relatives and friends judging people on what they wear or buy. I'm not Asian and it exists in non-Asian cultures too.

The qualities of a diamond are objective but which qualities you prefer to spend money on are subjective and should be up to you - whether you want to buy an 3 carat I SI or a 0.25 D IF (or anything in between).

Personally, I would blow people off if they asked me the specs of my diamond. Its none of their damn business.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
lexislexis|1307535291|2940615 said:
-------------

Happybear,

i will keep that in mind, do not let anybody influence my decision. I know even if i can afford a color D and IF diamond, i wouldn't do that, definitely no point. It is just the "yellowish" talks they had on the F bothers me a bit. I definitely don't get why she had to do that, hey not everyone is rich like her fiancée, and the main reason she chose him is due to his wealthiness!!! Shame on her.

What is a tax refund on diamond?

Thank you, i will keep looking and searching on the one i'm looking for, hope it turns out soon.

-------------

I am not in the USA, so the country I'm residing in imposes a GST (goods & services tax) on items bought online. However, should I return the item to the vendor, I am unable to get a refund for the tax paid when the diamond was delivered to me. I'm not sure which state you are in in US, but I should think there'll be no issue for you regarding this.

Btw, I also agree with the others on not buying from your friend's uncle. The savings, if there is any to begin with, is not worth the emotional stress she/he will put you through.

kdn2684

Rough_Rock
I am asian too and I don't understand why asians in general put such high quality on Color and Clarity. Maybe because that's the easiest way to compare their diamond to others and brag how their diamond is better than others.

My gf's aunt bought an IF Clarity diamond ring from a close friend who owns a jewelry store (much like yourself). She told me it's the best and brightest becuase it's an IF Clarity diamond. I'm thinking to myself "what kind of friend do you have? Your close friend of all people should know CUT is the most important, not Clarity". Anyways. What a waste of money. She could have lowered the Clarity and gotten a Bigger diamond or better color if she educated herself. But to her credit, the ring looks really good.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived among snooty people who look down on me for not getting the highest color and clarity I'd get this mounted in sterling silver and proudly show it to them.

While I'm sticking it in their faces I'd gush on and on about how much money I donated to charity X.
Then I'd show them pictures of the starving poor orphan children I'm helping to feed, clothe and educate.

That should shut those bizzeeahches right up!

1.gif

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1307550185|2940789 said:
If I lived among snooty people who look down on me for not getting the highest color and clarity I'd get this mounted in sterling silver and proudly show it to them.

While I'm sticking it in their faces I'd gush on and on about how much money I donated to charity X.
Then I'd show them pictures of the starving poor orphan children I'm helping to feed, clothe and educate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny you crack me up.

Can you link me to this diamond? It looks big :cheeky: j/k

Luckycharms

Rough_Rock
I can't believe you got that info from your friend! It's apparent that they are brain-washed a bit...

I think the normal concensious is about 3 grades apart is when you start noticing a difference. I did a ton of HW and concentrated more on cut than anything else.

I ended up going with a 2.07 cut to ideal portions, F color, SI1 and I couldn't be happier. So far in all lighting conditions and compared to her friend's rings, this has been always been the biggest wow. It's just a big ball of light when there is any lighting around...

Remember, the eyes will detect 2 things before anything else...size and light return...I'd say then color, then clarity. When I was searching, I found a good amount of eye-clean SI1s which impacted the price a lot. The one I have now has a clear feather which can't be detected.

Now, IIRC, the pricing for 1 color grade wasn't too far off anyway (I was looking for F and G) so if the right diamond pops up and is a E, I would go for it too...but it's not going to be an appreciable difference.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
happybear|1307539346|2940668 said:
I am not in the USA, so the country I'm residing in imposes a GST (goods & services tax) on items bought online. However, should I return the item to the vendor, I am unable to get a refund for the tax paid when the diamond was delivered to me. .

Happy bear are you in Canada? If so, for future reference, you absolutely can get a refund of your taxes if you return your ring to the US. I have done so, it is a simply form you complete and send to customs along with your refund receipt. Takes about 2 weeks, but is painless and simple.

ETA: Just noticed you are in Singapore! Well, I'll leave my post in case any Canadians are interested :))

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read every reply. Maybe someone posted this, but this should help:
http://www.vimeo.com/3288695

I have an F stone. It's my second F stone. I am color sensitive, but in NO way is there yellow in this stone. That's a load of crap. Keep in mind that diamonds reflect what is around them. So if you are in a room with yellow, beige, off white walls then it may look yellow. so do keep that in mind.

Secondly as you see in the video, color is graded from the bottom. That shows the true color of the stone. The cut does make a difference and that's why they aren't graded from the top. At least that's my understanding. You want to judge the body color.

Good luck! I don't think you need an E. Heck on here, most people think you don't even need an F. But I'm color sensitive. *shrug*

lexislexis

Rough_Rock
Yes, Luckycharms i did fell into their "tricks". So with lots of PSers are saying here, i don't think i will get it from my friend's uncle first i want some privacy, and second i don't need him telling me what is the best and what is not. I'm definitely not rich like them, i am so sure i wouldn't have the money to get a D/E, IF in my life as i rather spend on some other stuffs. I need to balance everything out. Not just on one diamond that will totally bankrupt me out.

Now i think i need to do more research on cuts and about light return. It is definitely a pain to read so many words in something doesn't seems english to me :lol:

And yes, some cultures are really love to show off without a proper education and acknowledge imo.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
yay, Kenny!
Your priorities are right on.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

Too funny Kenny, well said :appl:

Lexislexis - you have been given some really great advice and I'm glad you came here because it seems like you really need the support.
I can't fathom having friends like this, this is not a friend. I guess it takes a whole lot of IF D outer beauty to hide all that inner ugly.
I work with dying people, from obscenely wealthy to homeless souls who don't have a pot to pi$$ in.
Let me tell you, it's humbling, and what they do or do not own does not define them, their character does.
I see leaches discussing inheritance whilst the body is still warm... then I see the most amazing, loving, devoted family and friends who sit vigil for days with no concern for themselves - these are FRIENDS, this is FAMILY.

If I'm helping a friend pick out a diamond, I don't care if their budget is $500 or $500,000 - I want the best for them, I look out for them, I'm happy if they are happy, it's all I want for them.
Pick your diamond for "you", no one else. Those who matter won't mind what you get as long as you are happy, those who do mind - don't matter ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OCgirl|1307551416|2940806 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny you crack me up.

Can you link me to this diamond? It looks big :cheeky: j/k

Sorry, I don't think it's for sale...

http://www.prismgem.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results