shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Comparison - Help Me to Choose

nickMag

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm very happy to find this forum. I'm debating for the round diamond I want to buy and I have few choice I hope I can narrow them down with your help. My budget is less than 5k for the whole set so my diamond budget will go for around max 4300. The ring I like is this. The cut is very important for me and I'd like the diamond to be clear with normal eyes inspection. The weight should be around 1.2 carat

Options:
1) 1.3 Carat J IF Excellent-Cut (no certificate but I requested)
2) 1.25 Carat J VS1 Excellent-Cut (GIA)
3) 1.22 Carat J VVS2 Excellent-Cut (EGL)
4) 1.23 Carat H VS1 Excellent-Cut (EGL)
5) 1.14 Carat J VS2 Excellent-cut (GIA)
6) 1.21 Carat J VS2 Excellent-cut (GIA)

I'm sorry if the options are more than 1 or 2 but it is quite confusing. Option 3 and 4 doesn't have their EGL on the website. So I requested. Option 1 looks like too good and I asked for the certificate so I update it when I receive the certificate. With all these the choice of 1.14 should be out already unless I'm ignoring something. I do really appreciate your help and suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Option 1 is IGI graded. They tend to grade softer than GIA or AGS.

Would stay away from 3 & 4 as the resale market for EGL graded stones has effectively crashed.

Stone 2 is too shallow for my liking and the table is a tad too large at 59.

Stone 5 seems to be very busy for a VS2 on the inclusion plot. 36 crown angle is a little too high for a 40.6 pavilion angle.

Stone 6, CA again too high for my liking and stone a little deeper than what we like at 62.6.

I think you can do better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! First of all, GIA and AGS are the only reliable and respected grading labs. Stick to those only or you very well may overpay for a stone that is inaccurately graded. Look only at GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

nickMag

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. You're trying to push your budget and without pictures or someone personally picking your stone
its going to be difficult. Hopefully Yekutiel has access to that setting or something very similar.
http://idjewelry.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results