shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Commitment Phobia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey cushioncut. There is actually just one stone in particular I'm looking at. It's a roughly 2 carat stone but really not much bigger in size than yours. BONUS for you!!! I'm not sure I'll pursue the cushion much more..it's just too hard. Who knew princess shopping could be easy by comparison?
1.gif

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Hi cushioncut - I know the look you're trying to get with your cushion...the older stones have this amazing look with their large facets that are so unique to the old cuts. I love that about them, and to be honest my stone definitely has a more modern look when seen from farther away. At the same time it doesn't look like a round brilliant - it's certainly unique. The facets can be seen from a foot away, yes. But to be honest, I really think that only diamond-obsessed people like us would know the difference. At least that's what I've found - no one knows my ring is a cushion cut stone!!! Most people have never heard of that cut!

I'm going to try to get a better picture of the facets because from the pix I posted earlier it looks like a radiant, but it DEFINITELY doesn't look like that in real life.
1.gif
And if it makes you feel any better, the moment I saw your most recent stone, I knew it was a cushion. It's really unmistakable and so gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Quick question... someone mentioned taking their stone to an indenpendant appraiser to get an opinion on it -- does anyone know how much this costs? Maybe this would help -- getting an expert to look at it in person and say what he/she thinks -- do they give opinions like that?

The stone came with an independant appraisal, so we weren't worried about doing this, but if we can get opinions about the crown height and light leakage issues, maybe it'd be worth the money (if of course, it's cheap
2.gif
).

Please let me know if you've done this...

reena

Ideal_Rock
i took my stone to an appraiser in NY and it was around $120 or $140 (i forget which) for a 2c stone. (some appraisers, including the one i used, base the price on stone size.) he confirmed for me that the stone matched the GIA cert (which i wasn't worried about) and also gave his opinion on the cut of the stone, whether we were paying a fair price, etc. i did look at the stone under the microscope, but did not ask him to perform any fancy light return analysis on it. (he seemed to think that those tests weren't overly useful for cushions.)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Bad girl Chrono. I'm still kinda irritated I haven't heard from J yet...so I'm snubbing the jubilee (at least for the next few minutes lol)

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Our original goal was to get it as a full appraisal, but going in with my own suspicion and after he confirmed it, it turned in to a verbal appraisal. With verbal appraisal, the appraiser can't tell you what the stone is worth, but he can tell you everything about the stone. He was nice enough to only charge us $60. It's best to call around first and let them know about your situation.
16.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
MMM you obviously need to hone your "stalking jonathan" skills a little better.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... $60 is not so bad. I wouldn't need a full appraisal, just answers to a few questions. I'll have to decide whether or not it's worth it for a professional opinion...

thank you both for the info...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/14/2004 2:38:53 PM moremoremore wrote:

Bad girl Chrono. I'm still kinda irritated I haven't heard from J yet...----------------

I'm worse
11.gif

Is your stone up on GOG's site? ... I bet it ain't. But there is a 3 carat Regent and a 2 carat cushion that seem 'suspicious'
eek.gif
Keep us posted, please
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
(cushioncut...I'm sorry to hijak...I feel your pain)

No Ana, it's not up there yet. I took Reena's advice
1.gif
and stalked...oh, I mean called GOG again. Guess they are really busy over there today. Christen told me they called it in but it's not there yet. I think it got called in last tuesday, so I am not hopeful. Anyway, I hope that they do a follow up before the holidays tomorrow. I'm sure they will. I'm really hesitant to post it but let's just say it has similar proportions to this:
Ex polish, Ex symmetry, faceted like a round (8 rays)

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55422

Cushioncut: I think you should take it in for an appraisal. I think that you just need some reassurance from a pro. I think you're going to keep it!!!!
love.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
if you dont ADORE it dont buy it.......i bought a stone many years ago--it wasnt "exactly" what I had in my mind and guess what it still isnt--and still dont love it. Dont mean to be a downer but you sound like me...

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about your stone! That is what I am afraid could happen, and want to be sure to avoid. I am not sure if I adore it or not, and am trying to figure that out. I think even if the perfect stone were in front of me (which this could be), I would be struggling with this decision -- I always have a hard time making decisions that I can't turn back on...

What kind of stone do you have? Are you looking to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results