shape
carat
color
clarity

Devestated: Lost Brand New Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 3 beautiful 3ct. princess cut ring from WF. This was about 3 months ago. I was waiting for my trip to Hawaii to propose which was last week. Everything went great. Well last night we went to the bar and got REALLY drunk celebrating with some friends and somehow my fiancee lost the ring. The ring fit really tight on her finger so falling off isn''t a possibilty. She had to have been loosely showing it off/around and somehow lost it.

It really is unreal as we were just so proud of it and now she is in shambles (me too). We called the police last night and they told us to call them back tomorrow (which is now today, which I am about to do) when we were sober. Does anybody know how insurance works on this? I did add it to my homeowners. I don''t want to lie to the police but I''m wondering if we say "I don''t know what happened, she just lost it while showing it around" if it''s not covered, as opposed to saying something like "she was showing it around and someone must of taken it". Like if loss/theft are 2 big different things. I really can''t imagine being out this amount of money and I can''t imagine the insurance company is going to be very quick to just cough up the money.

Thank you for any hep in advance.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, how awful! I am not really sure how this works, I have never had to file a claim (knock on wood), but I imagine that you would need a police report. I am sure that there are some members here that will be able to help you out. I am so sorry this happened!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, I want to express how sorry I am. I know she must be kicking herself all night long.

The usual homeowners insurance usually has a cap of about $1000 so to have it fully covered (loss, damage, theft) you'll need to add a rider. I hope for your sake that you did. The best thing now is to call your insurance company and ask, as well as let them know what happened to the ring. They will guide you through the claim process.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 10:53:19 AM
Author: Chrono
First off, I want to express how sorry I am. I know she must be kicking herself all night long.

The usual homeowners insurance usually has a cap of about $1000 so to have it fully covered (loss, damage, theft) you''ll need to add a rider. I hope for your sake that you did. The best thing now is to call your insurance company and ask, as well as let them know what happened to the ring. They will guide you through the claim process.

Ditto. And make sure to tell them the *truth* about what happened. Because if you don''t and somewhere down the line the story starts changing they will get suspicious.

If you are covered for loss, you are covered for loss regardless of why usually.

Also, stupid thing, but have you gone back to the bar to check? And have you walked the route you walked last night? And checked pockets/purse in your room/in your sheets?

I assume you have but if you were drunk it''s entirely possible it''s in your own room somewhere...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to both the cops and the insurance company. It’s true enough that you behaved sort of stupidly, and we all have our moments, but owner stupidity is usually a covered peril (and it's a component in a huge percentage of insurance claims). It may help your memory to write down everything you DO remember and this in turn may help the police in their investigation. It might even lead to you finding it yourself.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others if you had the ring put on a rider it should be covered, I remember my sister threw her rings out a window by accident (long story) so when I got my rider I ask about what if this happened to me, would it be covered and their response was (btw it was State Farm) that said any "mysterious" losses would be covered, I took that to mean as long as I didnt lose them on purpose or threw them away on purpose (like if I got mad at hubby and threw them at him) then it would be covered. Good luck, I really hope you had a rider and that they dont give you to much hassle.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
OUCH!!
7.gif
So sorry about the loss of your ring. I don''t know a lot about insurance, I just want to say that I really think you need to be truthful about what happened.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
We realized it was gone just as we arrived to a buddies house in a cab. We went back to the bar (was after closing) and looked all around the lit parking lot. I''ve contacted the bar and put word in of a missing ring but nothing has been found.

I''m not sure if what I got was a "rider" yet but I''m paying an extra $300/year on the insurance for it. Does that sound like a "rider". When I added it, my insurance guy said it would be roughly 1/100 the cost of the ring/year.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds like a rider but call the 800# of the insurance company and they should be able to tell you the details about your coverage. Most of the claims departments work long hours and are probably there on the weekend even though your agent probably isn’t.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that sounds like you got the rider. Thank goodness.
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:12:19 AM
Author: denverappraiser
That sounds like a rider but call the 800# of the insurance company and they should be able to tell you the details about your coverage. Most of the claims departments work long hours and are probably there on the weekend even though your agent probably isn’t.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Ditto Neil, please call and confirm as soon as possible! So sorry to hear this - I remember when you were buying the diamond.
15.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that sounds like a rider. You''re covered!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear of what happened. . . that''s every girl''s diamond ring nightmare! Fortunately, it does sound like you have a rider on your homeowner''s policy and my policy is all risk - meaning that no matter what the circumstances, the loss is covered.

Please keep us updated. I''m sure it will all work out in the end - it''s just going through the steps in the process that''s hard.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 10:56:06 AM
Author: neatfreak

Ditto. And make sure to tell them the *truth* about what happened. Because if you don't and somewhere down the line the story starts changing they will get suspicious.

If you are covered for loss, you are covered for loss regardless of why usually.

Also, stupid thing, but have you gone back to the bar to check? And have you walked the route you walked last night? And checked pockets/purse in your room/in your sheets?

I assume you have but if you were drunk it's entirely possible it's in your own room somewhere...
Ditto. Have her look everywhere, especially in the most "unlikely" places.

Also, were these REAL friends of yours, or people you met on the trip? If real, could one of them have it? Like maybe they kept it because they thought she might lose it?

And I'm really sorry.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
These were very close friends from my hometown as we are back. Not the type to worry about or question. One buddy says he remembers seeing her put it on her pinky finger and twirling it around about 20 minutes before we left. We are going back tot he bar to look for it now.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man!
I feel sick about this.
I''m so sorry.
Hope you find it.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
OMG we found it! We looked in her car first that we had left at the bar and found it on the floor board! This is such a relief as I was thinking about how even if it was covered the ring I took so long to look for could never really be replaced as "the one". She says it''s never coming off her finger again. And she''s "quit drinking for life" :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news, I was hoping for that when I noticed you were posting again. Congratulations to you both.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is fantastic news
36.gif

freudianflip

Rough_Rock
phew! so glad you found the ring! careful with the boozin''
3.gif
I lost my favorite sapphire ring several years ago in some bar while inebriated. always kicked myself for that one!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so wonderful!!
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t imagine how relieved you both are - and how lucky you must feel!

Such wonderful news - I''m very happy for you both!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 1:10:41 PM
Author: wacamaster
OMG we found it! We looked in her car first that we had left at the bar and found it on the floor board! This is such a relief as I was thinking about how even if it was covered the ring I took so long to look for could never really be replaced as ''the one''. She says it''s never coming off her finger again. And she''s ''quit drinking for life'' :)
Forgive me if I''m slightly skeptical of this...
9.gif
Just have her show off her ring ON her finger from now on and you won''t have any problems. Inebriated or not.
2.gif

I really am SO happy for you two!
36.gif

yayy.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank God! I was feeling sick thinking of how both of you must be feeling after the ''loss''...
Anyway, I think it''s never a good idea to go out boozing wearing expensive jewelry.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Happy ending...by the way, if Tolkowsky put Lo-Jack inside of a diamond, would it affect sparkle and scintillation?

Maybe just sparkle...

36.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I had that ''thunk'' feeling in my stomach when I read this. How terrible............but then how amazing and lucky that you found it, blimey charlie that''s excellent news.

would love to see pics or at least a link to pics if they''re already on.

congrats on getting it back!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s great news! I too have my doubts that she''s done drinking for life
2.gif
but it must feel so good for her to get it back that she''s willing to promise anything for a short while.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
So glad you guys found the ring.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phew so glad you found the ring.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO SO SO Glad!!! Yay! But please have her wear a fake or nothing next time she goes and gets drunk!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results