shape
carat
color
clarity

Designer Settings vs Custom

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
Like most things, are you paying for the name of a designer setting opposed to a custom piece? My gf likes this Jeff Cooper design and things like it

http://www.jeffcooperdesigns.com/collections/nikole/naomi

I was offered it at 1,900, which is below the msrp, and a touch below what I've seen in other stores. May be a little weird, but something about having another man's full name on the inside of my future wife's ring is strange to me..but regardless, wanted to know other's opinions on the custom vs designer debate. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on the designer, the design and the custom bench.

In this SPECIFIC case with that specific ring: that's an expensive setting as it uses baguettes and carre cuts and it would cost that much or more custom because of that. AND with Jeff Cooper you are paying for excellent quality. And yes, some of what you are paying for is the brand. BUT custom is not cheap. At least not GOOD custom. And quality matters with a ring that is going to be worn everyday for years. A stock setting like THAT in particular is going to be less expensive than custom because of the mass production. Custom for that design is going to require sourcing those stones or custom cutting them. :$$): :$$):

So in this case, be lucky you found a vendor who will give you a good price. 1900 is VERY reasonable for a setting with those sidestones.

And you will have a happy wife... which most folks acknowledge is the path to a happy life.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I know that Brian Gavin Diamonds, a respected vendor on this site, offers Jeff Cooper rings. I think this speaks to the quality of the settings, given BGD's good reputation. Sounds like you have been quoted a pretty good price. Always good to find a retailer and try on the actual ring, see if she likes it on the hand. I understand your discomfort with having another man's full name on the inside, though :twirl: It's a little much. Many designers have their initials, rather than full name!

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
Sagefemme|1464836225|4039222 said:
I know that Brian Gavin Diamonds, a respected vendor on this site, offers Jeff Cooper rings. I think this speaks to the quality of the settings, given BGD's good reputation. Sounds like you have been quoted a pretty good price. Always good to find a retailer and try on the actual ring, see if she likes it on the hand. I understand your discomfort with having another man's full name on the inside, though :twirl: It's a little much. Many designers have their initials, rather than full name!

Thanks! I don't want to say it's a dealbreaker, but I kinda think it's a dealbreaker!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorp512|1464837862|4039231 said:

Thanks! I don't want to say it's a dealbreaker, but I kinda think it's a dealbreaker!

Just have it polished out. Don't miss out on a great setting for something so trivial. Remove it; problem solved.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or ask them if they can order it for you with an alternative hallmark, like the initials. They might have a couple of hallmarks they use. It's worth asking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
So is your future wife not going to be allowed to wear any clothing that has a male designer's name on the label? Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, etc. those labels will be rubbing up against her body! omg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1464849801|4039268 said:
Gorp512|1464837862|4039231 said:

Just have it polished out. Don't miss out on a great setting for something so trivial. Remove it; problem solved.

+1 to this! People buy "pre-loved" rings all the time that have custom inscriptions, etc in them and just polish them out. Definitely don't let this be a deal breaker since it's an easy fix

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
dtnyc said:
So is your future wife not going to be allowed to wear any clothing that has a male designer's name on the label? Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, etc. those labels will be rubbing up against her body! omg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a little/a lot different!-but love the ideas to get rid of it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results