shape
carat
color
clarity

Design ideas for a chubby 0.4ct marquise diamond?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new 0.4ct Marquise diamond, bought from the sale bucket of an approved PS seller, it's I/J colour SI1 and said to be eye clean and because it's a bit 'fat' (ratio 1:62, I know that's not within normal good proportions) it's meant to be really sparkly, more like a brilliant cut.
I've no idea how to set it yet (N-S or E-W), when I can, so I'd love some ideas. As it's an I/J colour what metal should I use?
I'd love some ideas..but not wildly expensive..in fact cheaper ideas are good, it's pre Christmas time!
I do love Marquise with side trillions but I can't manage that in diamonds. Thanks.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Will this be an Eing or a right hand ring or something else?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I was also wondering how you plan to wear it?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a specific brand (sorry) but I've always liked this for a marquise. I googled "bezel set marquise ring" and found this image.

_776.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi UrsTx and Rockinruby,
Thanks, it will be for a RHR and once it arrives I'll post a photo of it. In theory I should receive it within the week, I hope so as I can't wait to see it!
Thanks UrsTx, I like bezel settings and the E-W idea. Does using a bezel make the stone look smaller? It's only 6.47 X 3.97 if I remember correctly.
Thanks.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Who's got a sale on

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks tuffyluvr, that's so simple yet so pretty. Thanks for the hint, I'll have a good look on Pinterest now.

Hi Sphene, I got it from Africagems, it's less of a sale and more of a bargain bucket clearance in their Diamond section. They have a selection of fancy coloured 'unusual' stones there, the other (? nicer) Marquise had sold but this little chap just appealed to me at that price. I realise he's not the 'best' stone but I'm hoping he'll be a nice character, with his bow tie. The photo isn't good, but after emailing with Marc he's explained that it's a reasonable colour and eye clean ( despite the odd patches in the photo) and performs more like a brilliant due to its chubby nature.
I'm so excited to see it, it has been a conscious decision as I know it was in the clearance section for a reason but it's a very good price and as an everyday RHR worth having I thought, just hope I'm right!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've just gone back to have a look at the Africagems page and its description reads so well, I'm so excited :)
I think my awareness of its shortcomings is self protection incase it doesn't live up to my expectations!

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
When I was on my honeymoon I saw a gorgeous marquise halo ring in a jewelry store (Sifani) but it was way too overpriced. Unfortunately I've lost the picture that I took of it. :( But the center stone was a marquise around the size that you have, and the setting was white gold with a delicate halo and an airline. I thought the design was lovely!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks nycspring, that sounds lovely, I'll try and find a photo of something like that with the airline ( I'm not used to them) to get the full idea. If you do find the picture I'd love to see it. Thanks.

I've been told that 'Chubby' diamond is in transit now, yippee :)

Has anyone seen any modern setting ideas for a Marquise? Maybe with another stone or two, I'm trying to think 'outside the box' though I may well 'step back in' when it comes to fruition! So just playing with the idea of something asymmetrical with coloured stones as I like different cuts...maybe.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't find the original photo, but this is the closest I could find online (and ended up being an ebay listing for a semi mount) - there is no center diamond in the picture, so imagine the diamond 'floating' in the middle where the plain metal is. Looked really lovely and had a lot of presence on the finger! There is an airline between the edge of the center diamond and the halo.

_35312.jpg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a very pretty setting, thanks nycspring, I see what you mean about the airline now. Is that in Rose gold?
I've got so many decisions to make now, I'm going to love it!

My chubby little Marquise arrived this morning.
I'm really pleased with him ( sorry can't resist personification) he's as white as I hoped, knowing that he's an I/J and because he's so tiny really at 0.4ct there's no way with my naked eye that I can see any of his issues without magnification. With magnification I can see an inclusion down on one pointed end but that could be covered by the setting. I think he's ever so slightly 'offset', which was visible on the website photo, taking the culet as centre one side is minimally wider than the other, but I am being pernickerty here. The certificate says cut grade 'Good'. He's 6.47 X 3.97mm.
He was so well priced that none of this matters as he looks lovely IRL, to me.

I'll try and attach a photo. It's a foul grey rainy winters day here so the light is not good and then he's in some shadow too. I'll try another day when it's sunnier, as this is a bit unfair as he does sparkle.
Thanks for the help so far, I'm still debating a luxury look or a more modern casual look for him, and metal colour, so any more ideas would be great, thanks.

_793.jpeg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Love the chubby ones too...definitely set it E/W!

Q

Queenie60

Very nice little marquise! I would set it e/w

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Hounddog, he's adorable! Great find! :appl: Looking forward to seeing how you set this fellow! Congrats on your new stone! :wavey:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I would set it e/w too

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi PattyCo, that's a wonderful set of links, thank you so much for taking the time to put that together for me. At the moment I really like Mrs H gorgeous ring that has the marquise bezel set into the 'twisty' ring with diamonds all along. Funds allowing (...after some saving up time..so definitely next year now ) I could imagine him in something similar to that. Its simple but elegantly beautiful and very different to any other rings I have, so a definite contender, if Mrs H wouldn't mind hers being used as inspiration.
I do like LaurenThePartier's ring which looks like the one nycspring suggested earlier, but I wonder if it would be too delicate.
The other links have fab rings too, but I keep seeing lovely larger diamonds ( I can dream) and as mine :appl: is so little I'm concerned about it being too small for some of those settings.

Ariel144, Queenie60, Rockinruby and Sphene, thank you all for your lovely comments. Its great to hear nice comments and also reassuring that PSers who 'know their stuff' approve of my little chubby chap, thank you.

This is fun!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I had such fun looking for setting ideas for you. Of course I now "need" a marquise of my own, lol, so if you ever sell your "chap"... :D

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Just thought I'd chime in with some inspiration eye candy :tongue: Maybe you like the halo idea.

screen_shot_2015-11-20_at_4.png

screen_shot_2015-11-20_at_0.png

screen_shot_2015-11-20_at_1.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you post some handshots with it? I don't think it would too small for some of the settings posted, but it depends on your hand size. As it's quite fat it might look different than some of the ones posted, but not too small or bad IMO.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm normally not much of a fan of EW orientations but I love this setting! It would look nice with smaller halo stones too.

screen_shot_2015-11-20_at_3.png

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the lovely comments and suggestions.

Hi PattyCo, you're so kind thank you, and I'd definitely recommend you look for one, he's very cute :)

Hi ittybittykittykat, lovely images thank you, I really like the first one and last one, I seem to be developing a theme for Art Deco type things recently. I can imagine him in the first design but I'll probably have to save up for longer but it might be worth it.
The marquise with the sapphires is stunning, just don't think 'Mr bow tie' is big enough to handle it..shame.

Hi telephone89, I've tried to get a good hand shot but with the grey days and lack of good light..well..but I'll attach my best one so far. I do have workman hands I'm afraid (I am female) and the occasional touch of eczema and so they're not pretty..which is why jewellery helps :) no one looks at them closely when I'm wearing something pretty! I wear size 5.50-5.75 rings.

Hi junebug17, great minds with ittybittykittykat, it's a lovely setting and that marquise does have similar chubby lines to mine, so a definite contender and the idea of smaller halo stones is good for the budget, thank you. I'm really liking these E-W settings.

Thanks everyone, this is really useful.

_832.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What do you think of this? ...sorry couldn't resist!
Just saw this on 1stdidbs, it's Princess Margarets Diamond Marquise and Ruby ring for sale with documentation of Provenance from Viscount Linley. Originally belonged to Queen Mary, ring is circa 1893. It's a 1.40ct diamond marquise with calibre cut rubies and old cut diamonds on the spilt shoulders...rather delicious, but too big for Mr bow tie again! It's marked with an 'M' for Margaret and a Crown. Just a mere trinket at £85,000 incase anyone is interested, about $129,220 according to online conversion. I do think it's beautiful.
(Hope it's ok for me to post this here!)

_838.jpeg

_839.jpeg

_840.jpeg

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!! Too bad I'm not in the market for a ring just yet ;-)
Keep us posted on the design process. I would love to see that adorable marquise set!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look great in that setting junebug posted. I think even a little bezel would be perfect. I think it's too small to leave it 'exposed' - so a bezel or halo would be where I lean. I think it looks great though. perfect size for EW because it's so fat!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Ittybittykittykat, Thank you I will do, it will be next year but hopefully not too far through! Apart from deciding on the setting I need to save up..and there's Christmas spending soon too! He's hard to ignore so I might just ask around some jewellery workshops to get an idea of prices etc, or would the quotes be cheaper after the Christmas rush?

Hi telephone89, I agree, I really do like Junebugs suggestion and I think E-W is a definite now. Please could you clarify for me, do you mean bezel it and put a halo around it? I do like bezels but I'm just afraid of the stone 'disappearing' in a bezel. Or do you mean bezel it if it's set by itself? Sorry if I'm asking daft questions, it's rather late here..actually it's tomorrow now!

Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results