shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Marquise lovers! Setting help needed

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

I'd love your setting suggestions for a long, skinner marquise. Right now, I have about three options in mind:

A simple setting with two tapered baguettes on either side

A simple solitaire style setting with graduated rounds tapering down, with the largest rounds near the marquise graduating smaller down the band.

A halo, though this is my least favorite option, because I'd love to be wear/clean this without worries of losing melee.

I've attached a couple basic 'inspiration' type pictures.

What do you all think? Any other marquise lovers out there?

marquise_halo_1.jpeg

marquise_tapered_baguette.jpeg

marquise_with_baguettes.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dont worry I'm here! ;-) :lol:

I saw you have been reviving old MQ threads, so I had a feeling ...

I'm partial to the tapered baguette. Not because I have one, but because I find it the most classic setting.

Or with pear sides.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting with the tapered baguettes as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Sholdt makes some beautiful sleek settings that are minimalist, but if you like antique styles, this is really pretty from Single Stone:

_13247.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1388455628|3583479 said:
Dont worry I'm here! ;-) :lol:

I saw you have been reviving old MQ threads, so I had a feeling ...

I'm partial to the tapered baguette. Not because I have one, but because I find it the most classic setting.

Or with pear sides.

Niel, thank you!! I just had to comment on some of those threads--usually when I read old ones, I don't, but I really felt the need to on some of the old marquise threads.

ETA: I also love the tapered baguette look. Its simple and classic, and what I like esp. is that I can clean it with an ultrasonic or steamer without having to worry about melee.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1388460550|3583533 said:
Sholdt makes some beautiful sleek settings that are minimalist, but if you like antique styles, this is really pretty from Single Stone:

Nice! I love it. I'm a little worried that Singlestone might be out of my budget though.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1388457515|3583503 said:

Tyty that Greenlake ring is fabulous!! I love it. I'd prefer an N/S orientation, though--the diamond is around the 12mm mark length-wise and on the skinny side, and I think it would look better N/S--and give me the most finger coverage. My concern that it might end up looking kind of like a diamond band since its so skinny.

And the bezel, is definitely such a good idea with marquise tips--they are prone to chipping at the tips!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have a thinner marquise set E-W. Love it. :)

ps_d_vs2_marquise_e-w_2.jpg

ps_d_vs2_marquise_e-w_3.jpg

ps_d_vs2_marquise_e-w_1.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
oops, just read that you prefer N-S. Sorry! But you should try cutting out the dimensions on paper and stick it on a band, and see which orientation you prefer. I found that with my skinny marquise and finger shape, N-S didn't look good at all. It looked too slivery. The setting can add some width to the middle of the marquise, which makes it look less like a band. My marquise is 9.81x4.81mm, if you to reference the ratio.

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
Out of the 3 options, will place vote on tapered baguette sides. Love the classic look

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1388474743|3583622 said:

I LOVE this ring :love: :love: :love:
What a fantastic setting and great diamond! Could you share the setting vendor please? I would love to have this as a RHR.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I really love this look!

_147.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a pair of pears can balance out a NS marquise if you want something other than baguettes.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1388501888|3583744 said:
I really love this look!

Love this!!!
My other preferences would be the tapered baguette or a EW setting similar to Fortekitty's

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1388504501|3583766 said:
lknvrb4|1388501888|3583744 said:
I really love this look!

Love this!!!
My other preferences would be the tapered baguette or a EW setting similar to Fortekitty's
Acinom. How's your marquise hunt?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1388493459|3583687 said:

I LOVE this ring :love: :love: :love:
What a fantastic setting and great diamond! Could you share the setting vendor please? I would love to have this as a RHR.

Thanks! She was a non-jewelry seller on ebay from a couple of years ago, and I don't have her info anymore. She had a smaller marquise set in a similar setting and I emailed to ask where she had the setting made. She said her local guy in Phoenix made it and offered to connect me with him. He didn't deal with shipping, but she was actually nice enough to facilitate the shipping for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its really skinny I might would do pears or baguettes that are wider so the
proportions look nice (unless you are wanting to show off the long thin shape) .

Hey, how come we don't have pictures?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've never seen you post that one before... I love it.. the setting is awesome!!! :love:

Indy.. I'm also a fan of the tapered baguettes.. it's just a classic look. Can't wait to see what you pick.

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
I've always loved this setting for a longish marquise...kind of a different twist on tapered baguettes, using negative space in the shoulders. Here's an example from Fred Leighton with small emeralds set in a narrow V split shank...

http://www.fredleighton.com/vintage-jewelry/fred-leighton/p/82104

I've also seen it more often done using short, narrow, straight diamond baguettes: 2 on each side, set in a V-shape...kind of like a hollowed-out tapered baguette on each side -- but using straight slim stones, channel or bar-set. (Wish I had a photo but can't find one...I have seen some on estate jewelry sites over the years and if I find it again, will post.)

You can play around a bit with the proportions of the V on each side, whether it's a group of smaller stones or just 2 straight bags. I think it can balance a long, skinny marquise nicely and look very elegant.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1388475355|3583623 said:
oops, just read that you prefer N-S. Sorry! But you should try cutting out the dimensions on paper and stick it on a band, and see which orientation you prefer. I found that with my skinny marquise and finger shape, N-S didn't look good at all. It looked too slivery. The setting can add some width to the middle of the marquise, which makes it look less like a band. My marquise is 9.81x4.81mm, if you to reference the ratio.

Forte, your ring is PERFECTION. I absolutely adore it. And, it does not have the kind of band look I was imagining. I will post a photo of my diamond when I'm home later today. I'm also thinking of a N/S orientation because I'm kind of enticed by the idea of the finger coverage. That's why my mom prefers marquise cuts, because they really elongate the finger and she thinks it gives a really striking effect. Again, I absolutely love your setting. It's substantial and delicate, and looks just perfect.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen that v shape split shank done with marquise too. Lovely and not too delicate.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
gemmyblond|1388510629|3583839 said:
I've always loved this setting for a longish marquise...kind of a different twist on tapered baguettes, using negative space in the shoulders. Here's an example from Fred Leighton with small emeralds set in a narrow V split shank...

http://www.fredleighton.com/vintage-jewelry/fred-leighton/p/82104

I've also seen it more often done using short, narrow, straight diamond baguettes: 2 on each side, set in a V-shape...kind of like a hollowed-out tapered baguette on each side -- but using straight slim stones, channel or bar-set. (Wish I had a photo but can't find one...I have seen some on estate jewelry sites over the years and if I find it again, will post.)

You can play around a bit with the proportions of the V on each side, whether it's a group of smaller stones or just 2 straight bags. I think it can balance a long, skinny marquise nicely and look very elegant.

Wow, that setting is just gorgeous! I love it. I could see it working on a lot of different shapes too. I think that my diamond definitely needs some balance. I love the length, but it just feels a little skinny around the middle.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1388506242|3583786 said:
If its really skinny I might would do pears or baguettes that are wider so the
proportions look nice (unless you are wanting to show off the long thin shape) .

Hey, how come we don't have pictures?

I know, my apologies!! I should have attached them to the first post. I will take them as soon as I'm home, likely within the next 2 hours!

Wider tapered baguettes are a good idea, or doubling up on baguettes on each side.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here it is!

_13264.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
One more! I love the spread.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love it. I thin it needs a variation on a split shank like people were saying.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Heart sidestones will look great with that shape. I personally don't like pears with marquises, because if the proportions aren't done properly, they can look like wings. Trillions can look too stiff next to a curvy marquise. Hearts are somewhere between those two and perfect!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Its very delicate looking for a marquise. Very feminine looking...think its due to its thinner shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results