carat
color
clarity

Describe your ideal wedding!

audball

Ideal_Rock
redsoxgrl|1333553025|3163291 said:
audball|1333376203|3161678 said:
In terms of where, we've bounced around a few ideas. A few years ago I found this bed and breakfast in Tennessee that has an all inclusive elopement package that includes lodging, exclusive stay at the B&B, photography, a mini wedding cake, everything we need. And it's affordable. Unfortunately, the 'indoor' option isn't our favorite as an alternative back up if it were to rain and we're concerned about the heat since it'll be summer. The other bummer is that since the place is small and quaint, the guest rooms are equipped with just full size beds. FF and I share a King now and a Queen can be a squeeze (he's a big guy, 6'3" and not a skinny minnie...) so we're concerned with not being comfortable there. This is the place and the package we wanted.
http://butterflyhollow.com/candlelitexclusive.htm

Oh my god, this place is perfectly charming! FULL SIZE BEDS?? I also share a king with my FF and he's not tall at all...a queen was a squeeze with us too. So i can see how with A being so tall, that could make for an uncomfortable few nights sleep. :( When i have a bad night's sleep, i don't have a good day. So i would be worried this might put a damper on your first few days as newlyweds

Seriously! It's soooo gorgeous, quaint, quiet, peaceful, and charming. But full size beds for even one night, would make us pretty uncomfortable and I feel would definitely affect our moods. So we think it's probably out for sure. :(

So we've been formulating a new plan. The things that were important to us are a beautiful venue, great photos, and comfortable accommodations. Butterfly Hollow had 2 of the three. We had to add indoor to the beautiful venue requirement just to anticipate any weather problems. So, we googled the heck out of elopements and there was one place we just kept going back to. San Francisco City Hall. IT IS GORGEOUS. I also found a photographer that has done a ton of elopement shots there and is very familiar with the venue. I adore her portfolio. We would get to pick a swank hotel in San Francisco with a King bed and a giant tub for 2 and we could use it as a mini moon too and spend a few days in the city (neither of us have ever been to California). So I think we've pinned down the 'where'!Here is the photographer we love. She has a whole page of SF City Hall elopements that will show you the venue too!
http://www.rebeccawilkowski.com/blog/category/city-hall/

OH...MY...GOD! The city hall is STUNNING!!! I checked out the photog link and these photos are absolutely gorgeous! I love the feel inside, it reminds me of walls i would imagine in a castle haha. I think that is an absolutely gorgeous place to get married. I have never been to cali either, but the venue obviously lends itself to not have to worry about the weather or the humidity!!

Thank you! It is like a fairy tale wedding on the cheap! It's just a beautiful venue. Indoors, we wouldn't have to worry about heat or rain and I think the lack of humidity would be lovely! And so much to do in the city!

There are lots of reasons why we want to elope. I'm not close to my parents at all. I don't want my dad to walk me down the aisle and I don't think he'd be understanding/respectful of that.
I agree with this as well...except I'm close to my mom, and not super close to my dad...i've never had that "daddy's girl" feeling, he's always been kinda distant (my parents are married still).

I'm not even close to my Mom. I used to be but lots of things went down and we lost that relationship. I'm actually closer to FF mother now than my own and am more sad that she won't be there! And my sisters, I'll miss them too. But I know they will all understand and be very happy for us.

Both of our parents are divorced and we don't want to deal with that awkwardness. Andrew is incredibly shy and can't picture being in front of so many people without getting really anxious/nervous. Neither of us are drink and dance all night party people so a big evening wedding doesn't feel right to us. Then there's the money and the planning. We don't want to spend that much money to throw a party we don't really want to attend. We plan to have a very casual backyard bbq kind of thing for close friends and family a few months afterwards to share our photos (and maybe video!).

I hate how weddings turn to huge parties too. I like the backyard bbq idea. I might have to borrow that ;-) Good way to have low key get together. I'm kinda like A. I don't like lots of people and i get very nervous. I think it would take away from my day because i would be anxious/sick 90% of the time. My FF doesn't like cameras...hes fine in front of people though haha. I'm already dreading all the photoshoots i want starting from the engagement lol! He is self conscious about his smile. He has a space between his front teeth, but i think its character and i love his smile, his bright blue eyes and the way he smiles when he looks at me!

We are definitely more casual people. I would love to cater some really good bbq, get our favorite cupcakes from a gourmet cafe in town, and just relax with our friends/family for the afternoon/evening with good food and be able to share our pictures, etc. That's my idea of a reception. Funny coincidence, Andrew also has a small gap between his front teeth. I think it's cute. He doesn't seem bothered by it though. I could have written that sentence myself!

I have a few dresses in mind and am torn between going short or long. Either way it'll be not poofy so it'll be easy to move around in. I do want a bouquet. I'm thinking white cala lillies (about 7) in a simple arrangement. On the photographer link above, go to page 3 and look at "Jennifer + Ted" who are the third down. I want her bouquet! We're thinking FF in a gray suit with a bright sunny yellow shirt (no tie) and a matching white cala lily bout. And fun grey and yellow argyle socks! We thought it would also be cute if we got some cupcakes from a local bakery and in some of the after ceremony pictures, we could feed them to each other somewhere in the building. And maybe have a short first dance (we could have our song on one of our phones) for some other cute pictures.

I love cala lillies! SO simple, yet classic. I think in the city hall they would look perfect! Love the little details like the socks. I recently noticed that in someone's wedding pics (Facebook world) they took a picture showing his socks and they were so unexpected and added such a cool touch to the photos! As for the cupcakes, i love that idea too! I also love the first dance idea. I also am doing something similar, as i want that aspect of the big wedding...i want to have "our song" and hear it and be brought to the day. I never thought of the phone idea though!!

Going back to the socks...i want hot pink crinoline under my dress...same idea as the pop of color with the socks. I was trying to find a good pic, but heres an idea after a quick google search...someone's post on another forum haha http://gallery.weddingbee.com/photo/my-pink-crinoline-2. Maybe if you end up with the long dress, you can get the same below as SO? What a cute picture, you holding up your dress and him showing off his socks!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks!! We're pretty excited about putting our own little touches on it from the ones we saw in the photographer's blog.

And yes! That would be an adorable picture! Thanks for the idea, another for my folder! If nothing else, I'd probably definitely get colored shoes to match so we could still do something really cute! We also want to get some little signs made like Mr. and Mrs., Bride and Groom, I and Do, to have for some photos. We could use them for some wedding announcements/invitations to our after elopement reception.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1333553770|3163303 said:
I'm not even close to my Mom. I used to be but lots of things went down and we lost that relationship. I'm actually closer to FF mother now than my own and am more sad that she won't be there! And my sisters, I'll miss them too. But I know they will all understand and be very happy for us.

That is great that you are close to the future MIL! I think you are very brave for persuing the full elopement. I am extremely close to my brother who lives in FL (he is like one of my best friends). Unfortunately i can't just invite him and not the rest of my immediate fam. To be completely honest, my parents are old fashioned and stubborn, they didn't go to either of my brothers weddings because they were destination...so as sad as it sounds, I'm hoping they will do the same for me...LOL. That sounded awful, but i really mean it :-o

We are definitely more casual people. I would love to cater some really good bbq, get our favorite cupcakes from a gourmet cafe in town, and just relax with our friends/family for the afternoon/evening with good food and be able to share our pictures, etc. That's my idea of a reception. Funny coincidence, Andrew also has a small gap between his front teeth. I think it's cute. He doesn't seem bothered by it though. I could have written that sentence myself!

THAT IS SO FUNNY! Lots of parallels here haha. I actually had a space myself but had braces when i was younger. And the reception is perfect. I hate that people get so caught up in the "party" that they forget what a wedding really is all about. I blame society though, because everyone wants to throw a better "party" than the next one. I plan to enjoy my long engagement having fun being engaged instead of planning. I have plenty of time to plan before i'm engaged anyways ;-) The only thing i would rush on is a date since i want to pay everything in cash, so i would want to plan out the date well in advance.

Thanks!! We're pretty excited about putting our own little touches on it from the ones we saw in the photographer's blog.

And yes! That would be an adorable picture! Thanks for the idea, another for my folder! If nothing else, I'd probably definitely get colored shoes to match so we could still do something really cute! We also want to get some little signs made like Mr. and Mrs., Bride and Groom, I and Do, to have for some photos. We could use them for some wedding announcements/invitations to our after elopement reception.

Love the matching shoes too! I love love the little signs and additions. I like the fun playful pics (hence why photog is extremely important). I want to get our personality involved, not just statue-like photos of people who look like us, but we don't "recognize" any personality in them. Another idea i have seen for the "I Do" signs is...for engagement, "we will" signs and for wedding "we did". I love love love the added touches! I plan on bringing a whole range of "things" to add into our photos!

as a side note, i love Etsy and have seen plenty of cute handmade sign props...here's one good shop... http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyPrimitiv...+prop&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5124462. I also like the idea of the signs "i stole her heart" and then her sign saying "so i stole his last name", very very cute ideas all over easy though!! :mrgreen:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yes!! I am addicted to esty. I'm certain I'll end up getting a hairpiece and/or veil from there, and definitely some photo props!! I added that seller to my favorites though, thanks!

ETA: I was also thinking a sign that says LastNames est. xx/xx/xx ...example (not our last name...)

The Smiths est. 4/4/2012

What do you think?

And I'm definitely going to need one of these name hangers!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/9558549..._ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=handmade

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoaaa all the colors just got me going :loopy:

I love the personalized hangers! I think it'd look fantastic in that got-to-have photo shot of the dress hanging!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Haha, sorry madelise! It seemed easier than scrolling up and down so much!

I adore the hangers. I'm trying to figure out how to get that dress/shoes shot INSIDE city hall since the photographer would likely be meeting us there and not there for the 'getting ready' photos. I'm thinking about bringing an easy to change into something for immediately after the ceremony so I can slip out of it and the shoes, let her take some artistic shots, and then get back into it!

Any better ideas? This is where it would come in VERY handy to have 1 or 2 PSer ladies local to the area willing to come and act as our witnesses and help us with bringing props and things like this! We probably can't afford a videographer but would still love to have video of our vows, so a small handheld and a friendly PSer would be appreciated too!

Now...who to recruit?! Hahah, we have time.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: I'm totally willing, so long as I've got no crazy (midterm or finals) plans already, and enough time to plan around it! I loved SF and still have yet to finish my own itinerary! and I know SO needs to go up there to visit his best friend, anyway. But I know you've gotten close with a couple PS-ers for the past years, and maybe they'd like to be the honorary witnesses and "videographer". But SO does have a DSLR and a tripod.. :naughty:

I think changing in/out would be a PITA and only is for the calm.. There's enough to worry about! Can you get the videographer to meet at your bed and breakfast? Then she truly can take photos of you getting ready. Your last breakfast as a single woman.

Besides, it'd be odd to take off the dress, and shoes, and pose it with the awesome hanger, and randomly hang it somewhere in the city hall, don't ya think? :lol: Maybe you can find a collapsable garment rack on wheels that you can fit in the car? Then you can pose that in front of one of the gorgeous window designs, with the light shining through.http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/racksWardrobes?productId=10007853 Like that? That's totally portable.

You can do the shoes shot anywhere, really. Put it on some pretty marble or tiles. Grass, even. For a photo that's shot top down. If you're shooting it from down>up (haha, don't laugh at my n00b terminology), you can place them on the ground in distance from the front of city hall, or even just inside, and take a photo with the focus on the shoes, and the city hall architecture blurry, but in the background.

Heck, I'd get weird and start hanging it on random light fixtures, but that's just because I've been told I'm special :wink2: You can always do the rings-on-the-heel shot, too.

It's PS. We'll need lots of your rings-on-the-___fillintheblank___.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1333555247|3163319 said:
I also like the idea of the signs "i stole her heart" and then her sign saying "so i stole his last name", very very cute ideas all over easy though!! :mrgreen:

HAH, I snorted. That's too stinkin' cute. Cheesy, but CUTE! Oh, cheese ball at heart..

RedSox, I've been waiting for you to update the other thread!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333566567|3163449 said:
:wavey: I'm totally willing, so long as I've got no crazy (midterm or finals) plans already, and enough time to plan around it! I loved SF and still have yet to finish my own itinerary! and I know SO needs to go up there to visit his best friend, anyway. But I know you've gotten close with a couple PS-ers for the past years, and maybe they'd like to be the honorary witnesses and "videographer". But SO does have a DSLR and a tripod.. :naughty:

I think changing in/out would be a PITA and only is for the calm.. There's enough to worry about! Can you get the videographer to meet at your bed and breakfast? Then she truly can take photos of you getting ready. Your last breakfast as a single woman.

Besides, it'd be odd to take off the dress, and shoes, and pose it with the awesome hanger, and randomly hang it somewhere in the city hall, don't ya think? :lol: Maybe you can find a collapsable garment rack on wheels that you can fit in the car? Then you can pose that in front of one of the gorgeous window designs, with the light shining through.http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/racksWardrobes?productId=10007853 Like that? That's totally portable.

You can do the shoes shot anywhere, really. Put it on some pretty marble or tiles. Grass, even. For a photo that's shot top down. If you're shooting it from down>up (haha, don't laugh at my n00b terminology), you can place them on the ground in distance from the front of city hall, or even just inside, and take a photo with the focus on the shoes, and the city hall architecture blurry, but in the background.

Heck, I'd get weird and start hanging it on random light fixtures, but that's just because I've been told I'm special :wink2: You can always do the rings-on-the-heel shot, too.

It's PS. We'll need lots of your rings-on-the-___fillintheblank___.

Yay! Well we shall certainly see as it gets closer. Most of the ladies I know out in California have big shot jobs and/or babies and may not have the time for a (most likely) weekday wedding. It would be awesome if it worked out! The changing thing would be a PITA. I'm torn. I really want the dress pictures, but I don't want to pay for more time than necessary. I somehow don't feel I need the professional there while I'm getting ready since I won't be with a group of my friends for those kind of pictures. I'll probably do my own hair and makeup. I'd have to talk to her and see what she thinks if we hire her, I guess. She may have an idea. Shoe pictures would certainly be easy, as would bling pictures. I love the ones that focus on one thing with the venue blurred out in the background or the couple kissing blurred out in the background, very cute pictures.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333566690|3163450 said:
redsoxgrl|1333555247|3163319 said:
I also like the idea of the signs "i stole her heart" and then her sign saying "so i stole his last name", very very cute ideas all over easy though!! :mrgreen:

HAH, I snorted. That's too stinkin' cute. Cheesy, but CUTE! Oh, cheese ball at heart..

RedSox, I've been waiting for you to update the other thread!
I also LOVE this one. I think that would make for GREAT wedding announcement photos! I love 2-3 of them so much, I don't know how I'd ever decide! Maybe we could do a photo strip esque invite with three:

Like:

Picture 1
I
Do

Picture 2
She stole my heart
So I stole his last name

Picture 3
The Smiths
est. 4/4/12

Something like that...maybe. Too many choices!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Well we shall certainly see as it gets closer. Most of the ladies I know out in California have big shot jobs and/or babies and may not have the time for a (most likely) weekday wedding. It would be awesome if it worked out! The changing thing would be a PITA. I'm torn. I really want the dress pictures, but I don't want to pay for more time than necessary. I somehow don't feel I need the professional there while I'm getting ready since I won't be with a group of my friends for those kind of pictures. I'll probably do my own hair and makeup. I'd have to talk to her and see what she thinks if we hire her, I guess. She may have an idea. Shoe pictures would certainly be easy, as would bling pictures. I love the ones that focus on one thing with the venue blurred out in the background or the couple kissing blurred out in the background, very cute pictures.

LMK : ) ForteKitty has my contact information, and AthenaWorth should also have my email address as I've purchased from her in the past. Yup, no big shot job and no babies here! It almost feels freeing to say that! lol!

and I think having someone record the whole ceremony would be nice for showing if you decide to host a reception back home later. You can cut it to just show any vow exchanges, then signing, the kiss.. Play around with iMovie or some other like program to make a short 3-5 minute video.

You can do the dress shot at the B+B. If it's not a reasonable price to hire her out to your B+B, you don't need a pro. Anyone with a DSLR can take nice(ish!) pictures. Heck, borrow one and have your FF do it! SO used to entertain himself with his camera while I was getting ready for any event. It gives them something to do. Have him play photographer as you do the classic shots..

- Curling a strand of hair (that might be already curled, since the rest of your hair will be perfectly coifed)
- Leaning over the counter or sitting on the counter, leaning in towards the mirror, pretending to apply lipstick or blush.. shot from an angle so it shows your reflection off the mirror
- Dress hanging
- Shoes shot before they're worn so the insides are still perfectly new looking
- The "messy", but tastefully so and purposely posed array of makeup and "getting ready" items all over a counter with the e-ring

I don't know if you two are planning to do all those "extras" like signs or whatnot since you're eloping.. I think it'd be cute that you have pens made, personalized with Mr. Smith on one, and Mrs. Smith on the other.. that you can use to sign your paperwork. It'd be cute for a photo.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I just shot them both a message to share my email with you! Keep an eye out! It's a gmail. Taking our own pre ceremony pics should be an option. I'll need to get a better camera by then because my digital camera is not so good. I have a friends from high school who live locally. She is a photographer and he's into computer stuff. I know he made a video for them for their wedding and I was going to ask her to do engagement photos for us. Maybe if we can get footage I can see if he can help us make a short video! Now to track down a decent video camera...maybe that's where you and your FF come in! ;-)

I do think we'll do at least some signs/props for pictures, just for fun, but not nearly as much as you may if you were doing the whole shebang. Custom pens would be cute! Thanks for the tip!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No prob. I just also shot an email to them as well : )

Everytime I try chiming in this thread, the other gals aren't posting! What's up with that? Maybe I need to go back into hiding for others to chime in again.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333569736|3163503 said:
No prob. I just also shot an email to them as well : )

Everytime I try chiming in this thread, the other gals aren't posting! What's up with that? Maybe I need to go back into hiding for others to chime in again.
Yay! We'll be in offline contact soon! I don't know why the other gals aren't posting :( Maybe they no like us anymore ;(

audball

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth just sent me your email and I sent you one!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to respond! I work full time 3-11:30pm so I'm at work right now! I will try to get on later if it slows down here and play catch up on the postings!

Ps. I still haven't heard anything from the school. Administration issues... Lame! They said now we won't hear till the 15th! I'll check in on that post later too!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
We'll look forward to hearing from you about updates soon rsg!

atp223

Shiny_Rock
audball|1333474450|3162563 said:
The more the merrier, atp! :) :wavey:

My father was also born in Nassau! Though I never spent any time there growing up. I've been once, it's beautiful! I love that you want to marry in the church your parents married in. So sweet.

I see how the travel/expense may be a problem for some. It's so hard. You can't please everyone. And I tend to agree, it doesn't sound like your FI is that close to them so I'd be siding more with you. I completely understand the defensiveness. I don't want to have to explain anything to anyone about my choices, eloping is the perfect fit for us. And yes, they are. We're paying ourselves and our planned elopement is still going to run several thousand dollars between airfare, attire, lodging, and attractions while we're there. Granted ours will be a wedding/honeymoon, but still, it's costly!

Feel free to vent with us all you like!

Thanks audball! That's so fun that we have similar roots...it's such a small island, I wonder if our parents knew each other growing up!

Anyway, all of your plans sound great and I am totally going to buy one of those hangers you guys linked!

audball

Ideal_Rock
atp223|1333596146|3163842 said:
Thanks audball! That's so fun that we have similar roots...it's such a small island, I wonder if our parents knew each other growing up!

Anyway, all of your plans sound great and I am totally going to buy one of those hangers you guys linked!
Maybe! It sure would be a small world.

Thanks :) We're liking it too. Those hangers are super cute! There are a TON of etsy vendors that make them. Take the time to search and see who has the style you like. And order early! A lot of the good ones take 4-6 weeks to get so you don't want to wait until the last minute.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
SF City hall is amazing...my friend just eloped there. They took a bunch of pictures inside and then outside with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. If you want something a little less "grand" looking, there is an affordable elopement package in the wine country, near Napa in Kenwood, CA.

http://www.kenwoodinn.com/weddings_experiences.php

audball

Ideal_Rock
mandasand|1333646079|3164190 said:
SF City hall is amazing...my friend just eloped there. They took a bunch of pictures inside and then outside with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. If you want something a little less "grand" looking, there is an affordable elopement package in the wine country, near Napa in Kenwood, CA.

http://www.kenwoodinn.com/weddings_experiences.php
It certainly looks amazing in photos! Thanks for the other link, I think we've more/less got our hearts set on SF City Hall now, but the other venue is really lovely too!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm conflicted over what I want my wedding to be - I keep flipping back and forth between eloping and something local. I'd LOVE to elope, and I think SO would be totally on board with that, but I just don't think I'd be able to handle the disappointment that I know my mom and brother would feel if I did that.

So, right now I'm leaning towards a very small, intimate affair at this cool place downtown on the top floor of a tall building. I've always dreamed of having a venue with an amazing view of the ocean (I don't want a wedding ON the beach, I just want to be able to see it), but at this point I've pretty much accepted that that isn't going to happen due to either a) budget, or b) minimum guest count requirements. I only was about 20 people tops, and most of the great beachy venues around here require a min of 50 guests.

I have a favorite special-occasion restaurant that I'd LOVE to be able to do the reception dinner at (I'm not into partying or dancing, so I just want a relaxed dinner reception), but I've found it difficult to find a nice spot for ceremony-only. Seems that the only places for just a ceremony for as few guests as I want would be places like city hall or a public park, neither of which I'm too keen on.

Le sigh. So right now I have a frontrunner for "the plan," but it's an ever-changing thing considering that it doesn't seem that I'll be able to have what I really want. (Wow, I just realized how depressing and dramatic that all sounds and I totally don't mean it that way, but it is what it is.)

aud- I'm in the Bay Area as well (San Jose), so let me know if you need anything! Even if it's just tips or recommendations on what to do while you're out here!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1333664476|3164467 said:
I'm conflicted over what I want my wedding to be - I keep flipping back and forth between eloping and something local. I'd LOVE to elope, and I think SO would be totally on board with that, but I just don't think I'd be able to handle the disappointment that I know my mom and brother would feel if I did that.

So, right now I'm leaning towards a very small, intimate affair at this cool place downtown on the top floor of a tall building. I've always dreamed of having a venue with an amazing view of the ocean (I don't want a wedding ON the beach, I just want to be able to see it), but at this point I've pretty much accepted that that isn't going to happen due to either a) budget, or b) minimum guest count requirements. I only was about 20 people tops, and most of the great beachy venues around here require a min of 50 guests.

I have a favorite special-occasion restaurant that I'd LOVE to be able to do the reception dinner at (I'm not into partying or dancing, so I just want a relaxed dinner reception), but I've found it difficult to find a nice spot for ceremony-only. Seems that the only places for just a ceremony for as few guests as I want would be places like city hall or a public park, neither of which I'm too keen on.

Le sigh. So right now I have a frontrunner for "the plan," but it's an ever-changing thing considering that it doesn't seem that I'll be able to have what I really want. (Wow, I just realized how depressing and dramatic that all sounds and I totally don't mean it that way, but it is what it is.)

aud- I'm in the Bay Area as well (San Jose), so let me know if you need anything! Even if it's just tips or recommendations on what to do while you're out here!
I feel you. I had those feels for awhile too. I just can't imagine inviting the handful of people from my side of the family that I would HAVE to invite (ie: my parents...) just to have my sisters there. Ultimately the only way is to not invite anyone, and we're both okay with that.

It will be hard to decide either way. I think once the two of you are on the same page though, it makes it easier. How does your BF feel about it?

And THANK YOU! Any and all suggestions you have about things to do, I'm all ears! Favorite restaurants? Hotels? Sights?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1333664872|3164473 said:
Any and all suggestions you have about things to do, I'm all ears! Favorite restaurants? Hotels? Sights?

Dolce Hayes Mansion in San Jose http://www.hayesmansion.com/ The mansion is soo pretty and its history is fascinating. I'd avoid Sundays because they host a church congregation there. The restaurants 'meh' in my opinion. But it's just sooooo gorgeous! And it's cheap compared to what I'm used to for nice hotels. It is, however, a distance from SF.

Zarzuela in Nob Hill area http://www.yelp.com/biz/zarzuela-san-francisco has the best sangria I've ever had. SO and I have been searching all over So Cal for a sangria that's comparable, and it has yet to be beat!

And right across the street corner is Swensen's Ice Cream http://www.yelp.com/biz/swensens-ice-cream-san-francisco. Just read a few reviews and you'll be convinced! I love those "quirky" flavored ice creams. ::)

and the Cliff House Terrace Room for their champagne brunch http://www.yelp.com/biz/cliff-house...e-brunch-san-francisco#query:champagne brunch. Make reservations for their Sunday brunch! There's a harpist! Need I say more? Hah JK. But the endless champagne and mimosas will pay for the $45 tab itself. You know, the super fresh sea food and tri-tip is just extra ;)) Make sure to request a table that's next to the window, so it's overlooking the ocean! AND LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE JUST MARRIED/ ON YOUR HONEYMOON! The restaurant is literally on a cliff over the ocean. It's spectacular.

Heck, next time I'm back in SF, this is my itinerary as well.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333666750|3164500 said:
Any and all suggestions you have about things to do, I'm all ears! Favorite restaurants? Hotels? Sights?

Dolce Hayes Mansion in San Jose http://www.hayesmansion.com/ The mansion is soo pretty and its history is fascinating. I'd avoid Sundays because they host a church congregation there. The restaurants 'meh' in my opinion. But it's just sooooo gorgeous! And it's cheap compared to what I'm used to for nice hotels. It is, however, a distance from SF.

Zarzuela in Nob Hill area http://www.yelp.com/biz/zarzuela-san-francisco has the best sangria I've ever had. SO and I have been searching all over So Cal for a sangria that's comparable, and it has yet to be beat!

And right across the street corner is Swensen's Ice Cream http://www.yelp.com/biz/swensens-ice-cream-san-francisco. Just read a few reviews and you'll be convinced! I love those "quirky" flavored ice creams. ::)

and the Cliff House Terrace Room for their champagne brunch http://www.yelp.com/biz/cliff-house...e-brunch-san-francisco#query:champagne brunch. Make reservations for their Sunday brunch! There's a harpist! Need I say more? Hah JK. But the endless champagne and mimosas will pay for the $45 tab itself. You know, the super fresh sea food and tri-tip is just extra ;)) Make sure to request a table that's next to the window, so it's overlooking the ocean! AND LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE JUST MARRIED/ ON YOUR HONEYMOON! The restaurant is literally on a cliff over the ocean. It's spectacular.

That hotel is gorgeous!! I do think we want to stay in SF though so we have as little driving as necessary. Too bad! :(
I've marked your restaurant suggestions though, yum!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG a top floor, tall building, view of the ocean with a sun set in the background, and the breeze blowing through! That sounds amazing!

While I was planning the wedding that didn't end up happening, SO and I found this restaurant above a hill that had a view of all the city lights at night. It was very decently priced, especially in the Los Angeles area. The one trouble was, the room that we wanted to book was RIGHT NEXT TO another smaller room, and they both shared a balcony (for smoke breaks or air). The date we were planning on was on a very popular weekend, and the planner there guaranteed that there will be another wedding going on in the adjoining room. She offered us to book BOTH rooms, with the cost for the minimum # of guests (it's priced per head of attendee), even though we didn't actually have to have that many # of guests. We bargained the price down to about 70% of that minimum for the 2nd room, since they wouldn't have to provide food for those invisible, nonexistent guests, nor hire extra waitstaff or valet drivers for that evening.

Could that possibly be an option for you? Pay for that minimum "50", yet still keep your intended 20? I know it's not cost-wise, but if you REALLY didn't want to invite more people, it could be an option? That way you still get your dream venue, and no unwanted guests. But BARGAIN! They make less food, they hire less staff, while you're still paying a premium.. so bargain :!:

Or, I know you say you don't want a ceremony "on" the beach.. but is there any golf course or anything on a cliff overlooking the beach? Or some sort of venue? Church? Restaurant, even? Event hall? http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/ <-- That's a glass chapel that sits on a cliff over the ocean. Something like that? So you're away from the beach plenty, but still have the view.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1333695803|3164760 said:

OMG a top floor, tall building, view of the ocean with a sun set in the background, and the breeze blowing through! That sounds amazing!

While I was planning the wedding that didn't end up happening, SO and I found this restaurant above a hill that had a view of all the city lights at night. It was very decently priced, especially in the Los Angeles area. The one trouble was, the room that we wanted to book was RIGHT NEXT TO another smaller room, and they both shared a balcony (for smoke breaks or air). The date we were planning on was on a very popular weekend, and the planner there guaranteed that there will be another wedding going on in the adjoining room. She offered us to book BOTH rooms, with the cost for the minimum # of guests (it's priced per head of attendee), even though we didn't actually have to have that many # of guests. We bargained the price down to about 70% of that minimum for the 2nd room, since they wouldn't have to provide food for those invisible, nonexistent guests, nor hire extra waitstaff or valet drivers for that evening.

Could that possibly be an option for you? Pay for that minimum "50", yet still keep your intended 20? I know it's not cost-wise, but if you REALLY didn't want to invite more people, it could be an option? That way you still get your dream venue, and no unwanted guests. But BARGAIN! They make less food, they hire less staff, while you're still paying a premium.. so bargain :!:

Or, I know you say you don't want a ceremony "on" the beach.. but is there any golf course or anything on a cliff overlooking the beach? Or some sort of venue? Church? Restaurant, even? Event hall? http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/ <-- That's a glass chapel that sits on a cliff over the ocean. Something like that? So you're away from the beach plenty, but still have the view.
Worth a shot!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I feel you. I had those feels for awhile too. I just can't imagine inviting the handful of people from my side of the family that I would HAVE to invite (ie: my parents...) just to have my sisters there. Ultimately the only way is to not invite anyone, and we're both okay with that.

It will be hard to decide either way. I think once the two of you are on the same page though, it makes it easier. How does your BF feel about it?

Every single time that we talk about it, BF says that he wants to do whatever I want. If that's eloping, great, if it's not, great too. Luckily we're on the same page in the sense that neither of us want a big huge party, so that's nice. I know he'll be supportive with whatever I choose, but it's the choosing that's the hard part!!!

And THANK YOU! Any and all suggestions you have about things to do, I'm all ears! Favorite restaurants? Hotels? Sights?

I don't know if I missed this earlier, but are you planning on staying in SF the whole time? Most of my recommendations would be in the South Bay and Monterey/Carmel area, which could be done in day trips, but if you can I'd wholeheartedly recommend leaving SF for a couple of nights to stay in Monterey/Carmel. The area is amazing!!

ETA--OK, I saw that you want to stay in SF. I still think you should stay in SF for a few days, and then head southward for a few additional days. You wouldn't regret it, I PROMISE!! :wink2:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1333666750|3164500 said:

I've never done the Cliff House for brunch, that sounds amazing!!! I was engaged previously, and seriously our first venue choice was Cliff House. The view is just breathtaking!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1333695803|3164760 said:

Haha, that does sound like perfection, doesn't it?! The venue I was talking about, though, has no view of the ocean. It's right in the middle of downtown San Jose! Which I'm liking the idea of more and more, because I've always thought it would be cool to have those really awesome urban wedding photos that I see sometimes and always love.

Plus, this picture was taken at the venue and I think it is so cool! I want a photo like that!!

That's actually a great idea, I hadn't thought of that! I guess I could try to negotiate with venues as it relates to the min guest count and cost, because you're right, why would I have to pay for food and waitstaff for people who don't actually exist? Hmm..

There are, but they're all super pricey. With so few guests I know we could *afford* a pricier venue but I'd rather put the money towards an amazing honeymoon, KWIM?

And OMG, you're like the third person who has recommended the Wayfarers Chapel to me! That place is gorgeous!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1333729914|3165026 said:

Every single time that we talk about it, BF says that he wants to do whatever I want. If that's eloping, great, if it's not, great too. Luckily we're on the same page in the sense that neither of us want a big huge party, so that's nice. I know he'll be supportive with whatever I choose, but it's the choosing that's the hard part!!!

Well that's great!

I don't know if I missed this earlier, but are you planning on staying in SF the whole time? Most of my recommendations would be in the South Bay and Monterey/Carmel area, which could be done in day trips, but if you can I'd wholeheartedly recommend leaving SF for a couple of nights to stay in Monterey/Carmel. The area is amazing!!

madelise recommended a drive/day trip to Carmel/Monterey so I think we may be open to that! It sounds beautiful!

ETA--OK, I saw that you want to stay in SF. I still think you should stay in SF for a few days, and then head southward for a few additional days. You wouldn't regret it, I PROMISE!! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results