shape
carat
color
clarity

Delicious OMC stones - HG status w/ videos!!! Help!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I like #2 more because it has more of an OEC shape and I love how the facets light up. I love warm diamonds so I wouldn't have any issues with color.

It really is such a bright stone...and likely why I don’t even notice the color! It’s just...so ginormous. :)

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should get them both! (Just kidding).

For me, it really depends on how you want to set them. I would keep #2 as a solitaire and I would put #1 into a glorious 3 stone. Can we see a picture of your potential setting? I really prefer the color of #1 and the shape/size of #2.

I agree that the setting would likely differ between the two stones. I’m going to decide which diamond speaks to me more and pick a setting from there. As far as a 3 stone, what type of stones do you envision next to Option 1? I don’t want anything to detract, but something small might be nice. Thanks!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh they're both GORGEOUS. I personally adore the slightly elongated look of #1 but think you can't go wrong here!

Yeah it’s a tough call. Just when I think I’ve decided I change my mind again! I do worry that #2 is obscenely large - they’re both huge but wondering if that one just crosses a line. :lol:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the setting would likely differ between the two stones. I’m going to decide which diamond speaks to me more and pick a setting from there. As far as a 3 stone, what type of stones do you envision next to Option 1? I don’t want anything to detract, but something small might be nice. Thanks!

I would something like this:

or this:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I would something like this:

or this:

Gorgeous, thank you! I had saved a CVB ring that I was in love with but it had an oval center. This is a great reference for something similar with a cushion!

EDB2A9CC-3DFD-44A7-BFE1-FE1444F78DDA.jpeg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like everything about #2 except the color and then after seeing the 5ct K from JbG my vote got to the K lol

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
My vote would be the second stone. It's beautiful and it glows. I dont't like the gray in the lower left corner of the first stone. I also like Graces Stone but with a K Color it will be fare more expensive.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the faceting on option 2 better, but they’re both gorgeous, you can’t go wrong with either.

I’m not colour sensitive at all, and saw an M at Old World Diamonds that looked really white to me.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
My vote would be the second stone. It's beautiful and it glows. I dont't like the gray in the lower left corner of the first stone. I also like Graces Stone but with a K Color it will be fare more expensive.

Thank you! I see what you mean about the gray on #1, but I also think the lighting quality on the video shoots haven’t been as flattering for that stone. I think seeing it in person will be key!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I like the faceting on option 2 better, but they’re both gorgeous, you can’t go wrong with either.

I’m not colour sensitive at all, and saw an M at Old World Diamonds that looked really white to me.

That’s good to know! I’m told the M is extremely white. Honestly, I barely saw color on the OP which was shocking to me. I do have a tendency to lean toward #2, but that might also be because I haven’t seen #1 in person yet...

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I like everything about #2 except the color and then after seeing the 5ct K from JbG my vote got to the K lol

HA!! The K is exponentially more expensive so sadly that eliminates it as an option. :confused2:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I could take pictures together for you, but I'm not sure if that would be helpful? Each stone is so different, but if you think it would help I can do it.

I would love to see pics of your two stones together if you have time!!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
The faceting on 1 is beautiful. However, I love the shape of 2. And the less elongated shape seems to result in a more sparkly diamond. I mean that when I see the facets of the elongated shape, the primary east west facet seems to dominate. At least that's what my eyes focus on. The more round (less elongated) shape allows all the facets to pop more.

BTW, love your VC ring still, and the SS halo as well. Read your threads a million times.

@LLJsmom do you still have your K OEC stone? I know you went from a higher color MRB - how do you feel about that now that it’s been a few years? I honestly had the same dilemma regarding which direction to go....modern or antique, high color or warm color. It still confuses me if I think too much about it! :shock: How did you end up feeling about the K color? I know that’s higher than both of these stones but I’m very curious!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom do you still have your K OEC stone? I know you went from a higher color MRB - how do you feel about that now that it’s been a few years? I honestly had the same dilemma regarding which direction to go....modern or antique, high color or warm color. It still confuses me if I think too much about it! :shock: How did you end up feeling about the K color? I know that’s higher than both of these stones but I’m very curious!

I think about that often, and it's changed over the past 3-4 years. I am happy with my K, and if I had to choose between the F I had and the K, I would still choose the K. To me, the OEC I have now is just a straight up prettier stone (livelier, bigger and more colorful facets) than the F I had. Maybe if the F was a super ideal, it might have been different. I'm in my late 40s, and I can tell you something funny. My vision has deteriorated, so that when I look at my OEC, which I still wear 85% of the time, colorful sparkle is primarily what I see, with glasses or multifocal contacts. However, do I miss a white stone? Yes, and I want to add a whiter stone to my collection. Another thing about aging, I appreciate a whiter stone a lot more than I used to. My eyes can catch color quite easily. The chunky facets of an old cut results in big flashes. Love that. So I do want to add a super ideal MRB to my collection, in at least an H or higher. I would not trade in my OEC to do it. I am very close to accepting I need more than one ring. :lol-2:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I think about that often, and it's changed over the past 3-4 years. I am happy with my K, and if I had to choose between the F I had and the K, I would still choose the K. To me, the OEC I have now is just a straight up prettier stone (livelier, bigger and more colorful facets) than the F I had. Maybe if the F was a super ideal, it might have been different. I'm in my late 40s, and I can tell you something funny. My vision has deteriorated, so that when I look at my OEC, which I still wear 85% of the time, colorful sparkle is primarily what I see, with glasses or multifocal contacts. However, do I miss a white stone? Yes, and I want to add a whiter stone to my collection. Another thing about aging, I appreciate a whiter stone a lot more than I used to. My eyes can catch color quite easily. The chunky facets of an old cut results in big flashes. Love that. So I do want to add a super ideal MRB to my collection, in at least an H or higher. I would not trade in my OEC to do it. I am very close to accepting I need more than one ring. :lol-2:

This is helpful. There’s just something so special about the antique stones. And I’ve come to realize that I also like a big rock. I really get stressed out about big decisions like this though, and it’s hard to know what the right choice is! I’ll have more updates this week on my current journey...

thanks!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is helpful. There’s just something so special about the antique stones. And I’ve come to realize that I also like a big rock. I really get stressed out about big decisions like this though, and it’s hard to know what the right choice is! I’ll have more updates this week on my current journey...

thanks!!

You are most welcome. Do you consider your ering a high color? I mean, for you... (I used to think the D-F were high. Now after wearing a K for a few years, and having had a chance to see a few super ideal stones, a well cut H is high enough for me.) What role will this piece play in your jewelry wardrobe? Will it be something you wear daily rather than your current ering? Is it just another ring that you can wear when you get bored of your ering? I actually buy fake pieces to test out whether I like a certain cut or look before make the leap. Your purchase is a big one. Have you been thinking about it for a long time?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That #2 looks sooo clean. Why is it an SI2? At that size and to look that clean...

And it does look really white for an O-P. By naked eye, I would have thought at most it would be an L. If you told me K I would believe it. And that's what is amazing about old cuts. It's like the color that it already is, is perfect for that stone. Would it be more beautiful if it were whiter? I could not say with confidence that it would be. The color makes the stone and the facets more "there". I don't know how to explain it.

Stats aside, I really enjoy the faceting. It's beautiful to me.

So when I was choosing, I had an I for about a week. It for sure was whiter, but the facets were not nearly as organized. I when I looked at it in certain lighting, although it was whiter, what it reminded me of was a poorly cut MRB, that was whiter than the beautiful K. Well, if I was going to end up with a poorly cut MRB, why did I trade my F? Anyway, I could tell that if I had to decide between faceting and color, I chose faceting. Not sure what will the deciding factor for you. But I do think #2 is beautiful, faceting, eye-clarity, and shape. Hope you choose the one that moves you.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks gorgeous, definitely a lovely vanilla colour.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
That #2 looks sooo clean. Why is it an SI2? At that size and to look that clean...

And it does look really white for an O-P. By naked eye, I would have thought at most it would be an L. If you told me K I would believe it. And that's what is amazing about old cuts. It's like the color that it already is, is perfect for that stone. Would it be more beautiful if it were whiter? I could not say with confidence that it would be. The color makes the stone and the facets more "there". I don't know how to explain it.

Stats aside, I really enjoy the faceting. It's beautiful to me.

So when I was choosing, I had an I for about a week. It for sure was whiter, but the facets were not nearly as organized. I when I looked at it in certain lighting, although it was whiter, what it reminded me of was a poorly cut MRB, that was whiter than the beautiful K. Well, if I was going to end up with a poorly cut MRB, why did I trade my F? Anyway, I could tell that if I had to decide between faceting and color, I chose faceting. Not sure what will the deciding factor for you. But I do think #2 is beautiful, faceting, eye-clarity, and shape. Hope you choose the one that moves you.

Thank you so much for the thoughts! Yes this is a very tough decision, I’m quite stressed about it.

#2 is not yet certified, it will be sent to GIA once someone buys it, so they are conservatively guessing color and clarity. They did say they think it faces up like an L but from the underside you see a bit more color. There is one tiny dark inclusion that is very difficult to see unless you’re looking closely, so that may be why it’s not VS.

I still haven’t seen #1 in person (it’s being shipped out) and the videos I’m being sent are clearly not in the best lighting conditions...but it’s from one of the top trusted antique diamond vendors here on PS so I trust their word when they say it’s incredible. I also wonder if the elongated shape of #1 will be more flattering. Finally, do I really need a 6+ stone when a 5+ is already plenty huge? :lol:

I don’t know what to do but it sounds like #2 has a waiting list and I will need to decide before I can get eyes on #1.

UGH :(2

Personally, I’d go for the bigger, spreadier stone that faces up reasonably white and looks as gorgeous as that one does! I’m a size ho, and while I wouldn’t take a dull gray glassy doorknob just to have something big, I personally know that if I could afford something bigger and basically as beautiful and I chose to go smaller, it would bug me in the future. There is a biiiig difference between 5 and 6, haha. But of course, you really can’t go wrong with either!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I’d go for the bigger, spreadier stone that faces up reasonably white and looks as gorgeous as that one does! I’m a size ho, and while I wouldn’t take a dull gray glassy doorknob just to have something big, I personally know that if I could afford something bigger and basically as beautiful and I chose to go smaller, it would bug me in the future. There is a biiiig difference between 5 and 6, haha. But of course, you really can’t go wrong with either!

OMG “size ho” is my new favorite phrase!!! :lol: That’s basically me too - my ring has always been a halo for that very reason. Part of this exercise is to get a large enough stone so I feel like I have my finger coverage without needing a halo. Both of these should likely do the trick, but you’re right that the sixer has quite a large difference.

OMG “size ho” is my new favorite phrase!!! :lol: That’s basically me too - my ring has always been a halo for that very reason. Part of this exercise is to get a large enough stone so I feel like I have my finger coverage without needing a halo. Both of these should likely do the trick, but you’re right that the sixer has quite a large difference.

If you know the mm dimensions of both stones, cut them out of a piece of paper and put them on your hand, and that way you can compare! I do feel once you get used to the size of a stone it goes from feeling “huge” to normal, so keep that in mind for the future as well. It would be a different conversation if you disliked the bigger one for any reason. I guess you have to weigh up what the difference in color/clarity vs size means to you. If it’s eyeclean and sparkly, the clarity aspect for me is a non issue. As for color, when you saw the stone in person, did you have a chance to examine it in different lighting conditions? And was it ever too yellow for you?

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been following this thread and I must say, what a deliciously enviable dilemma you have here @twosanguinehearts! Add me to the #2 stone group as I find the facet pattern appealing to my eyes. And I‘m also quite partial to warm colored stones- although stone #2 doesn’t appear all that warm to me.

In addition, I find that old cut stones are far whiter than their modern counterparts. For instance, my (former) M OEC was whiter in appearance than my L emerald cut diamond. Not to mention, the metal choice for setting will either enhance, minimize or complement your diamond depending, of course, on your objective as far as setting goals.

Either way, I’m very excited for you!! You can’t go wrong with either stones! And I can’t wait to see how you set it!

ETA: Pics taken indoors with my L colored emerald cut stone and my sister’s H colored 3stone along side my other M OEC.

Attachments

• 6C71840A-4515-424C-B256-95F401E6FD4A.jpeg
    6C71840A-4515-424C-B256-95F401E6FD4A.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 28
  • EA4D6912-0388-4E85-9872-CD98027893D9.jpeg
    EA4D6912-0388-4E85-9872-CD98027893D9.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been following this thread and I must say, what a deliciously enviable dilemma you have here @twosanguinehearts! Add me to the #2 stone group as I find the facet pattern appealing to my eyes. And I‘m also quite partial to warm colored stones- although stone #2 doesn’t appear all that warm to me.

In addition, I find that old cut stones are far whiter than their modern counterparts. For instance, my (former) M OEC was whiter in appearance than my L emerald cut diamond. Not to mention, the metal choice for setting will either enhance, minimize or complement your diamond depending, of course, on your objective as far as setting goals.

Either way, I’m very excited for you!! You can’t go wrong with either stones! And I can’t wait to see how you set it!

Thank you! You don't know how much I appreciate the opinions!! I wish there was a clear winner, but they are both such great options.

Here's one more look at #1.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

ETA: Pics taken indoors with my L colored emerald cut stone and my sister’s H colored 3stone along side my other M OEC.

Wow you're right, the color did show less on the OEC. So interesting!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! You don't know how much I appreciate the opinions!! I wish there was a clear winner, but they are both such great options.

Oh, holy hell! Now I’m confused, too!!

You may be right about stone# 1 regarding its elongated shape being more flattering. That’s partially the reason why I chose emerald cut stones because I have short, stubby fingers.

A friend of mine who was an expert on diamonds once said to me cut is king. Everything else is personal preference. So I always keep that in mind when looking for stones. And yet, some of the stones I have a visceral reaction to is not ’ideal” on paper. I‘m not an expert by a long shot, but I guess what I’m trying to say is, choose the one that makes your heart sing. Can’t go wrong with that.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock

I still like #2 more because it looks more pleasing to my eyes and it looks like a lot of facets turn off at the same time in stone #1 so it looks darker towards the middle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results