shape
carat
color
clarity

Dejawiz & Kim - I think I'm ready so help me find some studs!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz @Kim N

I think I am ready to pull the trigger and hope you can help me find some LG studs that are 4 ctw (or bigger lol). When I search the pairs of ideals in Ritani I can get under 2k but idk if that is really feasible when you start handpicking and matching your own stones. Any idea if 2200 is possible? I have I color GIA stones right now (earth mined) that are 3 ctw. So given that IGI is usually more lax on color, would G be sufficient as the lowest color to go?

TIA!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search!

DK :))

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Mreader!
As one example, how does this one look to you?
It's around $600 at one of the seller sites.

I am confused. haha.

I want two stones - 2 ct minimum each stone to make stud earrings. The one I see in the link is just over 1 ct. But then I see two stones you have written with measurements 1.69 and 2.76??

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am confused. haha.

I want two stones - 2 ct minimum each stone to make stud earrings. The one I see in the link is just over 1 ct. But then I see two stones you have written with measurements 1.69 and 2.76??

Sheesh ...I am so sorry. My brain processed as 2ctw.
I'll get back to the search!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Not much luck so far...

So when I filter "ideal" on Ritani that isn't reliable enough to count on the cut? I am searching for a chart someone found for me some time ago where I can plug in the numbers, but cannot find it. @lulu_ma I believe it was you?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz I haven't done a deep dive yet, but I am looking at https://www.diamondscreener.com/cut-estimator/ to try and find something and annoyingly it's a drop down so for example this stone:

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-0...-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity-igi-sku-d-23vwn38gc4

Has 34.9 crown angle but since it's drop down I have to select 35. Anyway with that it seems to fall in the AGS parameters - but idk how big of a difference having to round up will make. What do you think of this stone? Of course I need two but just wondering if I am on the right track.

Also tagging @lovedogs as she's a cut expert as well :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz I haven't done a deep dive yet, but I am looking at https://www.diamondscreener.com/cut-estimator/ to try and find something and annoyingly it's a drop down so for example this stone:

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-0...-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity-igi-sku-d-23vwn38gc4

Has 34.9 crown angle but since it's drop down I have to select 35. Anyway with that it seems to fall in the AGS parameters - but idk how big of a difference having to round up will make. What do you think of this stone? Of course I need two but just wondering if I am on the right track.

Also tagging @lovedogs as she's a cut expert as well :)

Really not liking that the video is so low resolution that it looks very pixelated.
Makes me wonder if there is anything that is trying to be hidden.
It may be just fine.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Really not liking that the video is so low resolution that it looks very pixelated.
Makes me wonder if there is anything that is trying to be hidden.
It may be just fine.

Hmmm. When I look at the vids on other stones they don't look different in terms of resolution. But of the numbers - do those numbers look solid or no?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. When I look at the vids on other stones they don't look different in terms of resolution. But of the numbers - do those numbers look solid or no?

Yep...numbers are great!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also, @DejaWiz and @lovedogs - Alex is selling two pairs of diamond earrings. When I look at the certs, one out of each pair looks good number -wise. I would love anyone's opinion on these two, and if I should "poke the bear" and ask if I can make a set out of one from each of these rather than the ones he has paired together :lol: . I'm posting photos of the certs; the one on the right of each photo looks to be the "good one"

IMG_6736.jpeg IMG_6734.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also tagging @vintageinjune and @LLJsmom . I am intrigued by the Alex option depending on what y’all think

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
They are paired according to dimensions. The $2200 pair faces up slightly bigger than the $2400 pair. None of the stones have PS "ideal" numbers, but these are beautiful pairs which will be worn on the ears. Their numbers are pretty close to PS ideal ... all depends on budget and what you're expecting out of studs.

Remember that desired performance on a solitaire is high bc we're waving our hands around all the time, the light's coming in from all angles, and we're staring right at them (sometimes as close as our nose). Ears are a different story. Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can Alex provide these two together?

Screenshot_20230818-121432-793.png

Screenshot_20230818-121526-691.png

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Can Alex provide these two together?

Screenshot_20230818-121432-793.png

Screenshot_20230818-121526-691.png

That is precisely what I am thinking of asking if he can do for me. But I wanted to get input from the forum about the numbers before I make the request. If you go to the page you can see the vids - they are the pairs for $2200 and 2400. I just don't want to write and ask him to do something like that until I have seen what PSers think...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
They are paired according to dimensions. The $2200 pair faces up slightly bigger than the $2400 pair. None of the stones have PS "ideal" numbers, but these are beautiful pairs which will be worn on the ears. Their numbers are pretty close to PS ideal ... all depends on budget and what you're expecting out of studs.

Remember that desired performance on a solitaire is high bc we're waving our hands around all the time, the light's coming in from all angles, and we're staring right at them (sometimes as close as our nose). Ears are a different story. Good luck!

When I put the numbers in diamondscreener one diamond from each pair seems to fall into AGS ideal but I'm just now getting the hang of these numbers. Yes I know they are in ears and not on hand so more forgiving, but I am still kicking myself for getting GIA triple x studs and thinking that that was enough - that happened just months before being active on PS. I want to get the good numbers this time even if on ears especially since going the more economical lab route.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That is precisely what I am thinking of asking if he can do for me. But I wanted to get input from the forum about the numbers before I make the request. If you go to the page you can see the vids - they are the pairs for $2200 and 2400. I just don't want to write and ask him to do something like that until I have seen what PSers think...

@DejaWiz hope I'm not being a bother - I saw you "liked" this post but just wanted to see what you thought of the performance of the stones. Would these be good candidates? If he were willing to separate the pairs?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz hope I'm not being a bother - I saw you "liked" this post but just wanted to see what you thought of the performance of the stones. Would these be good candidates? If he were willing to separate the pairs?

I think seeing if Alex would be willing to mix and match the two with 40.7 pavilion angles would make for good candidates, in my opinion.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
When I put the numbers in diamondscreener one diamond from each pair seems to fall into AGS ideal but I'm just now getting the hang of these numbers. Yes I know they are in ears and not on hand so more forgiving, but I am still kicking myself for getting GIA triple x studs and thinking that that was enough - that happened just months before being active on PS. I want to get the good numbers this time even if on ears especially since going the more economical lab route.

@0515vision I meant to ask this before, and forgot - what part of the two certificates I was interested in the fall outside the PS numbers? I’m still learning here!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not an expert, so verify everything with others who know more. But I usually, the desired crown angles are 34-35. Both of those stones are outside of that range. However, those stones also have nice juicy crown heights of 15 and 15.5, so maybe the crown angle doesn’t matter as much?

If you really want technically super ideal cut stones, it easiest and fastest way to get them is with Whiteflash, JannPaul or Distinctive Gem. You’ll pay more, though.

The Alex Park pairs look really good. But if you have time and wait, other stones will definitely show up on Ritani or Loose Grown Diamonds and other sites. It’s a mix of factors. Hope this helps!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m not an expert, so verify everything with others who know more. But I usually, the desired crown angles are 34-35. Both of those stones are outside of that range. However, those stones also have nice juicy crown heights of 15 and 15.5, so maybe the crown angle doesn’t matter as much?

If you really want technically super ideal cut stones, it easiest and fastest way to get them is with Whiteflash, JannPaul or Distinctive Gem. You’ll pay more, though.

The Alex Park pairs look really good. But if you have time and wait, other stones will definitely show up on Ritani or Loose Grown Diamonds and other sites. It’s a mix of factors. Hope this helps!

Yes it does help. TY! Gosh it's a pain that it's just barely over. Everything else looks so good. I'm still on the fence. WF, JP and Rhino would be outside of my pricing range even though I know their stones are amazing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just watched the videos on APs page. In both, the stone on the R is better. So if he can pair those, I'd pull the trigger!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just watched the videos on APs page. In both, the stone on the R is better. So if he can pair those, I'd pull the trigger!

TY! Now let’s see what Alex says lol

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Update - I just heard back today and one of the pairs sold already so I cannot mix and match :(

The $2400 is available - do you guys think that one that’s 56% is no good? Should I just keep looking? I’m so disappointed. I was really looking forward to that pair...

ETA - never mind. They are both sold now.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results