• Something New

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Neither start over...

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something old... or something new..... for my 1.81 Tranisitional Diamond. I think I'm down to two...

Something OLD... this setting (not the subpar diamond) has become available at a significantly reduced rate... First picture in this thread

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-help.174117/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-help.174117/[/URL]

Or... Something New...this setting in platinum with a milgrain bezel

http://www.sareenjewelry.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=132

I'm really struggling and I don't want to screw it up.... interested in your opnions...

img_1660.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, my vote is to keep looking. I think there are many better antique styles than the first setting and I am not sure the second one will really enhance an antique stone all that much. I'd probably like it with the milgrain, but I am not in love with it, either.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1340892878|3225110 said:
Honestly, my vote is to keep looking. I think there are many better antique styles than the first setting and I am not sure the second one will really enhance an antique stone all that much. I'd probably like it with the milgrain, but I am not in love with it, either.

Unfortunately, I agree with DS. I don't think you've found the right setting to really showcase that stone yet. . .

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Agree, I don't love either. It's all about what makes your breath catch though - I think you'll know it when you see it! :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you DS, GotRocks & Justginger....

I am really struggling.. so I will keep shopping...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
If I had to pic from just those 2, I pick the first one, I don't like the 2nd one at all for an old cut stone. But I think I agree with the others - keep looking.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.. slightly different... a reproduction not an actual old setting..

photo_8.jpg

photo_7.jpg

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Hi I am new here...your diamond is gorgeous! I voted for the first old setting, love the old style settings. Good luck with your decision and with whatever you end up showcasing that beauty in!

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I agree with all the first posters, neither setting is giving me the wow factor, Im sure if you keep looking you can find something amazing, what do you like, dont like in a setting for this stone, what look you are going for?

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
PS - That stone looks amazing btw! beautiful

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually really, really like the look of the Something Old setting, but one of the first things you said in that thread was "I'm not interested in the setting... just the stone... " Why weren't you interested in it then? Was it just the price? I personally would want something more low-key for an ering, but I do love the look of that setting theoretically. Good luck in your search! It can get exhausting, I'm there myself. I hope you find that "wow" setting soon!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the long version.. so that ring I found locally.. I was looking at the time for just a stone.. and I wanted a JbEG setting the Julia with a Bezel. Well JbEG stopped making their settings before I was ready to buy a setting. In the meantime I found a diamond at JbEG. As you can see from the thread that diamond was not favored by our friends here.. and why I kept looking until I found the one.

So.. now I have been wearing the diamond in the solitare setting but it's a right hand ring. While I love the look it not great for wearing on my right hand. Also my engagement ring is a halo so I don't want a halo and SO many old settings are halos. I went back to this store because I wanted to see their settings since they deal primarily antiques. They have these two settings. The one with that Diamond still in it, they would take out and the new one which is a reproduction both with a decent price. I like the reproduction better.

I really like Sareen's work but I am afraid even with milgrain it will be too modern so I am wavering. He has made a number of things for me so I know his quality is outstanding... that's not a factor and neither is price. That ring is very reasonable.

Bottom line.. I am afraid to screw it up.... I want a right hand ring, that honors the diamond's age/style but I also dont' want a halo and I dont' want it to look too engagement like.. but I also like the idea of it sort of being a stand in for my engagement ring. Not asking for much am I? :shock:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's for an RHR! I'd go with something Old then. Or if you prefer the repro, go with that. Or what about that other ring you posted in the old thread, with one with the rubies? Something like that. Or get someone to make you something close to the Jbeg bezel? Or check out this guy: http://www.sevenfingers.com/rings.html :bigsmile: Sorry, I'm projecting. I'd hypothetically love a ring by that guy someday, a beautiful RHR... anyway, this should be fun! Good luck!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I voted neither too. :(sad I know how hard it is to find the perfect setting and I can appreciate your struggle. I think that I would prefer your gorgeous stone set in a vintage setting though as opposed to a modern one.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1340928254|3225579 said:
What about something like Kelpie's incredible ring from Single Stone?

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-unique-diamond-ring-leaf-motif

More streamlined like your something new option but beautifully vintage and certainly different than a halo.

I've actually spent quite a bit of time on their website.... sadly their prices are a considerably higher than some of the other options I've looked at including Victor Canera Trustee... with engraved shanks.... There are four or five on there I really like.. but I am just not going to spend $3,800 - $5,800 on a setting and those were the prices I was quoted.. for the settings I liked.. I guess I have Champagne taste and Cabernet (cheap wine, no beer for me) wallet...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
At one point I requested a quote for a few of the ERD rings and was shocked that they were in the $2000 - $2800 range.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I guess I have Champagne taste and Cabernet (cheap wine, no beer for me) wallet...
I understand that dilemma well!

jacy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with previous posters to keep looking for a setting that would really showcase your beautiful stone. I think it would look lovely in a vintage style setting. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results