shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding whether to go lab grown

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
My mined 1ct GIA G colour and 1.6ct lab grown IGI H colour. I hope this clears up the colour question that was posted about above.
C8DF85EE-4034-4E40-B22E-8E53A9E10985.jpeg BE2E2A2A-03EB-49B9-A6FD-EAA8172E4713.jpeg B76CB92C-7B41-4CF8-B72E-CF8404E73486.jpeg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to threadjack but sharing my views from a colored gemstone perspective.
first aside. I actually think CZ's do a really good job simulating diamonds. I have some fun CZ pieces (in realistic sizes) and I have had people assume they are diamonds. Myself I have a very difficult time distinguishing CZ from diamonds.

I myself, would never say that my lab stones are real aka mined/natural (diamonds, gemstones) because, why? Why lie? In order ethicalness to neutral to less ethical I see it as:

1) wearing it and not saying anything about it (and people making assumptions)
2) informing people it is natural/mined when it is lab
3) A person proposing to another person with a diamond ring and not disclosing it is MMD or actually saying it is natural when it was not. Same thing if it was a natural diamond but had treatments done to it.
4) Selling a MMD and representing it as natural mined diamond.

The honest truth is that lab created gemstones and diamonds have different value than earth mined. Someone can own a 3 carat lab created ruby that is chemically, etc the same as a earth mined ruby, but it will never be the same value as a natural mined ruby. I think it is because at least for colored stones like corundum, alexandrite, spinel, it is not that difficult to reproduce in a lab, while they are naturally rare in the "wild".

Diamond is an interesting mix, because in "reality" diamonds are not that rare. Their rarity comes from the cost of mining (having to move x tons of dirt to get 1 carat of diamond) as well as how they are sold. And creating a man made diamond because of the energy required, is more expensive than say creating other types of lab gemstones or CZs. No matter what, it is not easy to create a beautiful colorless clear diamond.

Bottom line
There is room in their world for both earth and man made diamonds and people buy different products based on their wants and needs, and honestly, jewelry is a want not a need. For some people having a natural diamond gives them that "mind clean" feeling that a lab diamond doesn't. Other people don't need that and can save money or afford a bigger sized stone on the same budget.

If you are buying or selling you do need to disclose that information (man made versus mined. Also whether it is CZ etc). Same way if you are selling a Toyota but calling it a Lexus. It may do exactly the same stuff have the same parts as a lexus but you can't call it that.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I don't mean to threadjack but sharing my views from a colored gemstone perspective.
first aside. I actually think CZ's do a really good job simulating diamonds. I have some fun CZ pieces (in realistic sizes) and I have had people assume they are diamonds. Myself I have a very difficult time distinguishing CZ from diamonds.

I myself, would never say that my lab stones are real aka mined/natural (diamonds, gemstones) because, why? Why lie? In order ethicalness to neutral to less ethical I see it as:

1) wearing it and not saying anything about it (and people making assumptions)
2) informing people it is natural/mined when it is lab
3) A person proposing to another person with a diamond ring and not disclosing it is MMD or actually saying it is natural when it was not. Same thing if it was a natural diamond but had treatments done to it.
4) Selling a MMD and representing it as natural mined diamond.

The honest truth is that lab created gemstones and diamonds have different value than earth mined. Someone can own a 3 carat lab created ruby that is chemically, etc the same as a earth mined ruby, but it will never be the same value as a natural mined ruby. I think it is because at least for colored stones like corundum, alexandrite, spinel, it is not that difficult to reproduce in a lab, while they are naturally rare in the "wild".

Diamond is an interesting mix, because in "reality" diamonds are not that rare. Their rarity comes from the cost of mining (having to move x tons of dirt to get 1 carat of diamond) as well as how they are sold. And creating a man made diamond because of the energy required, is more expensive than say creating other types of lab gemstones or CZs. No matter what, it is not easy to create a beautiful colorless clear diamond.

Bottom line
There is room in their world for both earth and man made diamonds and people buy different products based on their wants and needs, and honestly, jewelry is a want not a need. For some people having a natural diamond gives them that "mind clean" feeling that a lab diamond doesn't. Other people don't need that and can save money or afford a bigger sized stone on the same budget.

If you are buying or selling you do need to disclose that information (man made versus mined. Also whether it is CZ etc). Same way if you are selling a Toyota but calling it a Lexus. It may do exactly the same stuff have the same parts as a lexus but you can't call it that.

Thank you for this post! So many good points!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we are all in agreement we would disclose a MMD in a sale.

TJF

Rough_Rock
Good quality lab-grown diamonds can easily compete with natural ones in terms of hardness, color and clarity, plus its ethically sourced. In my opinion, no one can really dictate on your values and preferences when it comes to choosing between lab-grown and natural diamonds. This article about lab-grown diamonds may help you get a better perspective - https://thejewelryforum.com/lab-grown-diamonds-are-they-worth-it/

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Good quality lab-grown diamonds can easily compete with natural ones in terms of hardness, color and clarity, plus its ethically sourced. In my opinion, no one can really dictate on your values and preferences when it comes to choosing between lab-grown and natural diamonds. This article about lab-grown diamonds may help you get a better perspective - https://thejewelryforum.com/lab-grown-diamonds-are-they-worth-it/

Great article. Thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results