shape
carat
color
clarity

Decided to change prongs.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I've gone back and forth whether this is something worth doing. The setting I chose for my ER is a recreation of a ring I originally saw with a cushion, however; my diamond is round. I didn't realize or consider that the prongs on the original setting for the cushion definitely accentuated the corners. Not realizing this, I didn't ask for the prong tips to change when recreating the setting to better suit a round diamond, I feel they make my round stone boxy and square.

So, once I was proposed to, it really was the first thing I noticed, and didn't love. I got used to it, but in the back of my mind I found the prong tips overwhelmed my diamond. Anyway, even though I got fairly used to it, everyone who winds up seeing my ring asks if it's a square diamond. This added to my distaste a lot, so I finally just emailed my jeweler and asked what options I had. For a very little expense they can extend the prongs and create a more pointed/claw like tip.

Here is a photo of the ORIGINAL cushion setting that I found inspiration from, MY ring, and my more preferred prong goal. I think this really highlights what I'm feeling about my stone, and how I feel a smaller tip would really help bring out the roundness more. I know many suggest 6 prongs, I do understand the claw tips still do show more square, but I find that aesthetically pleasing :love:

I guess I'm just writing because I want to ensure I see what I see, and if anyone else understands.

3compare.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it, do it.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer the claw prongs and feel the heavier prongs in your setting and your inspiration ring look dated (only my opinion) but I did have prongs like this once.

Also, the third pic has a Very slim band not like yours, which has no bearing but just wanted to mention it incase you like the overall look.

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Adding on to what laurenk just said, I feel like the flat squareness of the band also adds to the square appearance of your diamond. Since the diamond is closer in size to the width of your band, it gives the optical illusion that the shape of the diamond just follows the straight shape of the shank. The round shape of the diamond in the third photo is much more evident because of the thinner rounded shank as well as the thin delicate claw prongs. I guess that's usually why people go for thin or tapered bands with delicate prongs, to allow the diamond to "pop".

So you might want to keep that in mind in case after changing the prongs it is still not the look you were hoping for.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with above posters. Also, you should definitely try on a similar ring like the one you think you want before changing the prongs to make sure you actually like what your getting.
As I have said to you in one of your earlier threads, changing the prongs on the existing head may not be as pleasing to you as you think because the overall design will change - ie looking at the setting from the side. I know this because I have been in your situation myself and I did not like the outcome when I had prongs changed on an existing setting. I ended up changing the whole ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go with the claw prongs if your jeweler can do it. They are refined and much less distracting.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that thinning out the prongs will let the diamond shine more.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I would also change the prongs. I like small claw prongs.

I agree with the previous posters about the band contributing to a more squared look overall. My opinion might be given my age, though. When I was getting engaged the first time, princess cuts were popular and that is the style of band I saw them with the most.
(So it could just be something I think because of that.)

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can you post some pics from the profile view? Are you planning on just thinning out the prongs or getting a new head?

Q

Queenie60

Can you have the head removed and a new one put on with the type of prongs you like? Since I am not an expert, I don't know if messing with the prongs will compromise the durability of the ring? Or as others have said, can you change the setting to something you like that's more proportioned to the prongs you desire?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imo you have a couple of options if you are unhappy with the look of your prongs.
If you think your jeweler can work with these prongs ( not all can or do it well ) then go for it. However, the inspiration picture you show is not realistic for what they can accomplish with yours. So don't go in thinking yours wiil turn out like that.
They may do a great job thinning down your prongs and you'll be completely satisfied. If not, are you able to start from scratch with a new setting?
Are you so unhappy with your ring that if they botch it you're okay with that? Nothing ventured nothing gained attitude?
I had a jeweler thin some prongs for me once and they turned out nicely. Good luck!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a profile shot of my ring, and a bit of photoshop to demonstrate what we're going for. They won't be as thin as the third photo in my original post, and I'm ok with that. I've always loved 3mm settings, and of course I realize mine's a squarer setting in particular, but my prongs in and of itself are what's bother me. Keep in mind the example isn't a perfect representation of the changes, but it shows how it can eliminate that boxy appearance. Notice the prong furthest away on the left, I think while creating a tighter wrap around the diamond and creating a more pointed prong, it'll be much more pleasing!

img_12868.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond will be less safe.

Prongs can catch on things and bend without you knowing it.
In 12 years reading PS I've read many posts where people lose their diamonds and have no clue how.
Normal every day actions like putting on a sweater or reaching into a pocket can bend a prong.

All other things being equal, smaller prongs are less strong.

I'm not saying don't modify your prongs, just consider this factor.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That photoshopped picture looks great! :appl: if they can accomplish that...go for it!!

As for Kenny's comment, that is something to consider. However those are still substantial looking prongs.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
It's possible, but I don't feel these are any smaller than most, I'd say they're larger than most in fact.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!! My jaw will hit the floor if they can! :love:

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love how the photoshopped photo looks. I say go for it!

Can you create that type of image from the top as well, to guide your jeweler with exactly what you are looking for?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Good idea! Let me try now and I'll post.

Edit : here's photo. I did it quickly on my phone so the setting and diamond look wonky, but a general idea!

img_3540.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah that's a huge improvement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results