shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating upgrading my Amora Gem

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my first Amora Gem a little bit ago, it is a 6.5mm H&A Eternity, I've been really really happy with it, to the point that I wear it almost exclusively while my diamonds sit in my jewelry box.

Well now I've found a 7.4mm Amora Gem Eternity and I'm debating whether to go up in size. When I bought the 6.5mm it was pre-loved and a little smaller than my ideal but it was already set and figured it would be a good way to try Amora. I know people like bigger stones in general but I'm the opposite 8mm is way too big for me but I haven't had a stone around 7.5 and am thinking that could be the sweet spot.

Some posts I've read say the double refraction becomes more obvious the bigger you go but would that be an issue for a 7.4mm? I read somewhere that someone bought an Amora upgraded to a larger size and was not as happy with the upgrade because the original stone looked a little bit better so that is another concern.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I can't answer this from a specific Amora Gem standpoint but I can from a general moissanite perspective. So when my husband and I were looking to get me a moissanite ring pre child I went around to 2 or 3 different stores and had a look at it to make sure I liked the look of it. In round specifically I hated it in 8mm and up. It just looked super fake to me. Kind of like one of those crystal doorknobs. 7mm to 7.5mm looked so much nicer to my eyes. Not too large but not too small either. Especially in comparison to my not even half carat engagement ring.

Is there any way you could buy it and return it if you don't like it? Normally I would say go to the jewellery store and see if they have any in 7.5mm on hand and look but that's impossible right now :(

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MeowMeow this is so helpful. Unfortunately it would be a final sale so a return isn't an option. The stone is listed for $550 which is higher than I have seen comparable Amoras listed for on EBay and LT.

Crystal doorknob lol! That's a good way of putting it. I try to buy my jewelry pre-loved and it seems the Moissanite rings are just all so big, too big for me although on others they look nice.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
7.5 is just about right for me too. At first I thought it was only the size but now I realize I just don't love RB as much as antique cuts but that applies to diamonds as well. I have a 7.5 original Amora Gem that I don't wear and a 7.5 OEC that I will definitely wear once it is set because I love how it looks so much more. I get it out and stare at it often, lol. But again, that is about the cut as much as the size for me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, I'm the opposite of you, I know so many love the OEC cut and I tried two and it just didn't scratch the itch. Then when I saw the H&A cut it was like an epiphany lol!

Of course buying a loose Amora means going down the rabbit hole of settings too which some people enjoy but it's not really my jam.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @MeowMeow this is so helpful. Unfortunately it would be a final sale so a return isn't an option. The stone is listed for $550 which is higher than I have seen comparable Amoras listed for on EBay and LT.

Crystal doorknob lol! That's a good way of putting it. I try to buy my jewelry pre-loved and it seems the Moissanite rings are just all so big, too big for me although on others they look nice.

Oof boooo:( what about just buying it anyway and reselling if you decide it's not for you? Its ok if thats not possible.
Or maybe just hang out and wait until you can go to the jewellery store again to have a look at that general size. Do these size stones come up very often?
It won't 100 percent be the same but you could order a cz in silver in the same size off Amazon and see what you think of 7.5mm in general?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, I don't see the Amoras come up in the 1-1.75 carat size super often. However I think i have an H&A Cz in a 7.5mm size so maybe I'll see if I can dig that out and post a picture of that vs the 6.5.

I could buy it and resell if it didn't work out but I'd probably have to take a loss but I do think it is on the high end of pricing.

Do you still wear your moissanite all the time or do you switch it out with your diamond ring?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow, I don't see the Amoras come up in the 1-1.75 carat size super often. However I think i have an H&A Cz in a 7.5mm size so maybe I'll see if I can dig that out and post a picture of that vs the 6.5.

I could buy it and resell if it didn't work out but I'd probably have to take a loss but I do think it is on the high end of pricing.

Do you still wear your moissanite all the time or do you switch it out with your diamond ring?

We never got one. We found out I was pregnant like a month and a half or 2 after we married and I put my moissanite dream aside for awhile. I still want a French cut moissanite band once there is some discretionary money. It's just such a wonderful cool stone!! I'm so glad I did the research though because when I do go buy one I already know what I do and do not like.

As for your H&A cz hopefully that will help at least a little! That sucks though that they don't come in that size very often :( it makes it hard not to rush when you find one available :( I assume you have looked through all the Tiyanu and Starsgem threads too? I wonder if looking at other moissanite brands might help a little?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this is helpful but I purchased one around that size (I wanted the setting, so admittedly I wasn’t seeking out the gem itself) and it wasn’t my fave. I’m not the best at describing things, but it didn’t look as crisp as I thought it would given their videos look amazing. I want to say I told my friend it looked plastic-y too but I can’t remember for certain. I took it to my local jeweler to remove the stone and she took one look at it and said “this is moissanite.”

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, I hope you get your frenchie band someday soon! At least by that time you will know exactly what you want, how big, what color metal etc.

I just checked my cz stash and the biggest I have is a 6.5 apart from my Berricle rings that are all 8mm. I have been reading the Tianyu and Stargem threads too as well as threads on other boards which is how I decided on an Amora. I'm thinking of just sticking with what I have, I already love it, cheaper than upgrading, who open Pandora's box you know?

@winnietucker, okay well that might be the end of this internal debate lol!
This is what I'm afraid of and then I'll have to unload a stone during an economy that is getting worse and worse! Thanks for sharing that!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought I had that just came to me was I just ordered one of the pink Lightbox 1/2 carat pendants, maybe down the line instead of upgrading the Amora I will just get another pendant and make a three stone ring. Since I know I love this stone already why gamble on a new one when I can just dress up the one I have.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, is it a loose stone? If so, and setting stones is not your jam, I might pass. But if you have wondered if you could go up 1 milometer then it could be worth the go. I personally care about cut quality, as do you, so if I were to change up there are certain brand stones I would want. AG being one of them.
All that to say...did I miss the price? Is it too much?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Another thought I had that just came to me was I just ordered one of the pink Lightbox 1/2 carat pendants, maybe down the line instead of upgrading the Amora I will just get another pendant and make a three stone ring. Since I know I love this stone already why gamble on a new one when I can just dress up the one I have.

I think this is a great idea. When the pink stone comes you can hold it up to your solitaire and make sure you like the proportions. I agree that if you know you love your current stone that this might be a really good route to go. 3 stone settings are beautiful, and if you love pink, this could be perfect for you!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1, asking price is $550 the stone is a 7.4mm 1.53 carat F color IF clarity.

I paid $550 for my current entire ring which is another mind hurdle because I know that settings are expensive so do I really need to spend possibly $1600 to get less than an extra millimeter?

@OdetteOdile, my pink stone should be here by Friday so I'm anxious to see how this looks, I'll come back and share a picture when it gets here. I do love pink so this may be a future project!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
The three stone could be really pretty! How reliable is the color on the lightbox stones? Like if you ordered one later will it match?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada True, and even if you get the stone for $500, you would be hard pressed to get it set under $1k all in, especially now. So eh...that is a lot for one mm. Although, if you love it, you could sell the smaller one to offset the cost?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, hmmm that's a good point about the color, maybe I'll post in MMD to see about color consistency.

@Slick1, you know you're supposed to say "no, no bad PS'er just be happy with what you have" ;-)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada :lol:

I would not be a true bling friend if I didn't point out all of the options to obtaining said bling...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could also down the line buy an AV H&A in a 7.5mm size, although it wouldn't be the same price if it's in stock at least I could return it.

Anyone have an AV in a 7.5mm size they want to talk about or better yet, share a picture of?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found these neat tool on Brilliant Earth, James Allen has one too but I found BE's easier to use. Top pic is the 1 carat and bottom is 1.5. For me the one carat is the ideal size, the 1.5 would look too big to me.

IMG_8344.jpg IMG_8345.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I found these neat tool on Brilliant Earth, James Allen has one too but I found BE's easier to use. Top pic is the 1 carat and bottom is 1.5. For me the one carat is the ideal size, the 1.5 would look too big to me.

IMG_8344.jpg IMG_8345.jpg

I have CZ solitaires in sizes 1, 1.25, and 1.5 carats. My finger is 6.5. Let me know if you would like me to take pictures of the rings on my hand. I agree that there is a big difference between 1 and 1.5. For me I think the sweet spot is 1.25.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the size!!
Idk, I wear a size 7.5 ring and I def like to rock an 8.5+mm’er! :lol: Maybe it’s my finger shape, my knuckles are ugly old and very large. I also need a bigger stone for my old eyes to see and enjoy. I am older than you so maybe I also am more comfortable rocking a bigger look.
Wear what you love! To hell with what others say or think. #pleasemyself :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OdetteOdile, my fingers are a size 8!! They need to go on a diet! I think so your stones will look a lot bigger since you have slimmer fingers but it would be great to see them anyways if you have a few minutes to take pictures.

@Slick1, you do not have very large, ugly old knuckles and you have gorgeous rings, nobody is looking at the finger believe me! I have seen your rings and they look so great on you, I'm honestly surprised that you wear an 8.5mm.....that sounds huge! Now I'm not trying to pass any moissanite as a diamond but 8.5mm driving around in my 13 year old car (which I love) would have people thinking I should have upgraded the car instead!

Does Distinctive Gem still have sales every now and then on their moissanites?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon sure does have sales. And from Seinfeld (in light of your new name) his sales are, “Real and they’re spectacular.” :lol:

9350CCDD-CB85-4832-ABB6-94A667A0D73A.gif

But seriously, yes I wear 8.5mm and need a bezel to boot for size oomph. Thank you for the compliment but when my knuckles swell they make even the 10mm bezel seem normal sized. #Truth
I do totally get having your own comfort zone on size.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I feel like I should have just named myself Seinfeld! Love that show so much, so many good episodes, although I haven't eaten a Junior Mint since!

I spotted a 7.5mm MoCo AGS000 in an 18k bezel setting tonight and immediately thought of you! I know that's probably too small for you though, also the seller just had that ring made and only had it for 2 months, so I wonder why she is selling it. I'm such a stalker I had to go find it on another board to see if she mentioned not being thrilled with the stone!

Idk. I'm still thinking about the Amora AND I just sold another piece of jewelry so that helps too!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I feel like I should have just named myself Seinfeld! Love that show so much, so many good episodes, although I haven't eaten a Junior Mint since!

I spotted a 7.5mm MoCo AGS000 in an 18k bezel setting tonight and immediately thought of you! I know that's probably too small for you though, also the seller just had that ring made and only had it for 2 months, so I wonder why she is selling it. I'm such a stalker I had to go find it on another board to see if she mentioned not being thrilled with the stone!

Idk. I'm still thinking about the Amora AND I just sold another piece of jewelry so that helps too!

I think paying $550 for a preloved AG is kind of high. I would consider the Moco AGS000 because it wouldn’t cost that much more new and you could return it if you don’t like it. There was a time when the AG and the AV (DG) moissanites were exactly the same. The Moco one is said to be cut by the same people as well but they use a different rough source. You should look through the August Vintage thread on PS that has pages of comparison’s, although some of them are probably quite old now. I think differences are less noticeable these days.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010, thank you for the reassurance, I thought it was priced high as well. So in your opinion the Moco AGS000, August Vintage and Amora Eternity are all pretty much all good options? I have read ALL the moissanite threads here there and everywhere which is how I ended up with the Amora.

I was really only considering an upgrade because this bigger Amora was posted but I think the best thing is to wait for a sale or ideally a whole ring with one of these stones. The AGS000 on EBay is really nice but too contemporary for me sadly.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
IMG_1409.JPG

@YadaYadaYada

Here is an image of a pendant and two loose stones (CZ) that I posted previously in a different thread for size comparison.

The center stone is 6.5mm and the larger stone in the pendant is 7.45mm
The smaller loose stone is 6.5mm and the larger loose stone is 7mm (though it is transitional cut which changes the size perception a bit imo).

ETA: Love the new name btw! (Though I gotta admit I thought OptiStephPrime was pretty darn funny.)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BMI thank you so much this is very helpful! Pretty stones and to me the 7.4 looks huge. After sleeping on it and considering my lifestyle, I'm going to stick with my one carat, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it you know?

OptiSteph Prime...he really is a hoot but I just couldn't get with being a Transformer lol!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I think you are making a sound and well-thought out decision. I rarely regret those kinds of decisions.
Is it really worth the trouble and funds for 1mm? Keep your eyes open and I will as well. I am sure we will see another pop up for you.
I did look at that 18kt yg 7.5mm bezel. Yes sadly, as pretty as it is, I know that size would not cut it for me and my eyes... :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results