Debating upgrading my Amora Gem

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry pictures so huge! I clearly have no idea what I am doing! :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry pictures so huge! I clearly have no idea what I am doing! :lol:

No, these are great, thanks for posting them. There must be something wrong with me because I prefer the 1 or 1.25, just don't tell anyone or they might kick me out of the PS club!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
No, these are great, thanks for posting them. There must be something wrong with me because I prefer the 1 or 1.25, just don't tell anyone or they might kick me out of the PS club!

I hear you! I find 1 carat and 1.25 carat to be lovely as well. I also find them to be infinitely more wearable than larger stones as I am pretty active with my hands.

sireena

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert and having never seen the Amora Gem in person yet reading all of the accolades given to the Amora gem by reviews on the website two or three years ago I bought the equivalent of a two carat in size. I wasn't looking for an engagement ring but jewelry to wear now and then. This is only my experience and opinion and others may think differently.

After I had the stone placed in a solitaire setting and spent a bit of time looking at it I kept being disappointed with the way it looked in regular lighting and even some store lighting. In truth I believe I ordered one which was too large and if I had stuck to a 1 carat size I might have liked it better due to thinking that with a smaller size stone the sparkles probably would hide a certain plasticky look I felt I could see inside the larger stone. Also, I believe that if you set the Amora gem in a nice halo setting surrounded by other diamonds it might look different. When in the right lighting and in direct bright sunlight the Amora had plenty of sparkle and fire. When in less bright lighting and even in some store lighting to me it looked kind of plastic and vacant inside in between the sparkles. I believe my mistake was in thinking it would look more like an Ideal diamond in every lighting and I blame myself for thinking unrealistically. I recently purchased a smaller lab grown diamond for a right hand ring online. It is close to 1 carat in size and I am thrilled with it because due to extensive search settings on these lab grown diamond websites I was able to purchase the exact quality diamond I wanted. Plus, since I've seen diamonds before I knew exactly what the diamond should look like before receiving it.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sireena, glad you found a beautiful lab diamond, did you share it in the lab diamond forum? I would love to see it!

I’m very happy with my Amora and maybe some of it like you said is having the smaller size. Moissanites in smaller sizes are definitely my preference but maybe for a step cut like an emerald cut that faces up smaller I might go for a larger stone.

sireena

Rough_Rock
@sireena, glad you found a beautiful lab diamond, did you share it in the lab diamond forum? I would love to see it!

I’m very happy with my Amora and maybe some of it like you said is having the smaller size. Moissanites in smaller sizes are definitely my preference but maybe for a step cut like an emerald cut that faces up smaller I might go for a larger stone.

Yes, I believe that the smaller sizes of Amora are the way to go. I haven't tried uploading pictures yet and don't have a photo of my lab diamond but I'll try posting one later. Thanks so much.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the newer whiter moissanite looks white-ish or "pastey" or hazy or opaque or something, in bright light, in a way that the older yellower original stones never did.
These are not the greatest pics, but the halo ring is a 7.5mm C&C stone that I purchased back in 2005 or 2006 or so. It has a good bit of tint to it, like a J/K diamond. The solitare to the right in the ring guard is an 8mm, also an older stone and a C&C with tint. The one in the sapphire halo is a tinted 6.5mm. I see birefraction in these rbs, but it's not glaring. It, and the older splintery facets cutting style, are enough that a person who knows what to look for in Moissanite would know these aren't diamonds.
The pic with the round on the ring finger and an unset square brilliant moissanite just sitting in a setting, the set stone is a 7.5mm from Bella ('way back in the day!) that's near colorless, and the setting is Stuller Solstice yg. The sq. brilliant is a 6mm and is very tinted yellowish with a hint of green, a "murky" color as I call it. lol

What I learned about tint is that the age of your eyes can affect how sensitive you are to it. I had early cataracts that affected my ability to focus more than my perception of colors. But still, I was very surprised how much more easily I could see yellow tints with my new lens implants. It's like it reset my color perception entirely. Still, I think I'd rather have the slight tint with the steeliness and transparency of these older stones than the white glare that the new colorless / near colorless stones seem to have in some lights.
h1.jpg

Attachments

• h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 25
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 28
  • h9.jpg
    h9.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 24
  • h11.jpg