shape
carat
color
clarity

Debate the VP DEBATE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Irishgrrl, I am so glad you initiated this thread! It was soooo funny to read the last one the morning-after.

And Luckystar, thanks for the link to Bingo cards on Newsweek. I''ve printed some up for the folks coming over to our place tonight. (My favorite part: don''t you **LOVE** the ridiculously unflattering photos of each candidate in the center square??)

Have fun girls!

f-d-l

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
P.S. Other than "Pigs in Blankets", does anyone have any clever menu ideas? Freke?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 1:36:06 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 10/2/2008 9:00:20 AM

Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 10/2/2008 12:10:15 AM

Author: FrekeChild

I''m going to go make rum cake in preparation for the debate tomorrow. However, I will not be taking a slice of cake to replace a shot.

Now I need to figure out which kind of rum to use....

I was going to say that''d be a lot of cake! Haha. Do you mind posting your recipe?
4.gif

I will if it turns out ok. I wasn''t able to find exactly what the recipe called for (it''s probably from the ''60s) so I kind of had to make it up as I went. (It''s made with cake mix! I''m so cheating!)

Sounds good!! I am excited, you''ll have to post pics.
26.gif
18.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 2:04:34 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
P.S. Other than ''Pigs in Blankets'', does anyone have any clever menu ideas? Freke?
Baked Alaska?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 2:24:43 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

P.S. Other than ''Pigs in Blankets'', does anyone have any clever menu ideas? Freke?
Baked Alaska?
ROFL!!!
9.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

Baked Alaska?

Hmm, I''d have to serve that "alongside and within eyesight" of Russian Borscht, wouldn''t I?
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Baked Alaska....

...I''ll go think about it when I''m done eating lunch!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 2:32:58 PM
Baked Alaska?
Hmm, I''d have to serve that ''alongside and within eyesight'' of Russian Borscht, wouldn''t I?
9.gif
BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have several good appetizer recipes, but I don''t know if they''d be considered "clever".
5.gif
I''ll give a couple here, these are addicting (though a tad time consuming).

Baked Little Smokies

1 pkg. smokies
1 lb. bacon
1 lb. brown sugar

Cut bacon in 1/2''s or 1/3''s. Wrap each smokie with one piece, securing with toothpick. Lay out on cookie sheet with sides (jellyroll pan). Pour brown sugar over all. Bake at 350 for 35-45 min. til bacon is done. (watch, don''t let burn)

And one more, the bread is good for sopping up, whatever.
9.gif

Crab Spread on Sourdough

1/2 c. mayo
1/2 c. canned parmesan cheese
2 green onions, chopped
6 oz. can crabmeat

Mix all. Spread on sourdough bread/baguettes of your choice. Can be served hot or cold, I personally find cold better.

To serve hot, throw under broiler til lightly golden brown

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 3:34:15 PM
Author: Ellen

I have several good appetizer recipes, but I don''t know if they''d be considered ''clever''.
5.gif

Baked Little Smokies

1 pkg. smokies

1 lb. bacon

1 lb. brown sugar

Cut bacon in 1/2''s or 1/3''s. Wrap each smokie with one piece, securing with toothpick. Lay out on cookie sheet with sides (jellyroll pan). Pour brown sugar over all. Bake at 350 for 35-45 min. til bacon is done. (watch, don''t let burn)

And one more, the bread is good for sopping up, whatever.
9.gif

Crab Spread on Sourdough

1/2 c. mayo

1/2 c. canned parmesan cheese

2 green onions, chopped

6 oz. can crabmeat

Mix all. Spread on sourdough bread/baguettes of your choice. Can be served hot or cold, I personally find cold better.

To serve hot, throw under broiler til lightly golden brown

Ellen, these sound yummmmmmmmmmmy!! My DH LOVES crab
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 3:36:04 PM
Author: Linda W

Ellen, these sound yummmmmmmmmmmy!! My DH LOVES crab
9.gif
They are yummy.
9.gif
Too yummy.
11.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo Ellen, those sound yummy...I''m hungry already!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been too busy with rum cake to think about other recipes yet...but I just had to move it from one plate to another and some cake stuck to the first plate, and OMG, its great so far!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I''d like some rum cake, some crab spread, some baked Alaska, and I don''t know what Russian borscht is but I think I''d like some of that too!!!
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 4:45:27 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Date: 10/2/2008 4:42:56 PM

Author: EBree

What It''s Like To Debate Sarah Palin

My ''shot'' contribution: Hackey Maam.
2.gif
BWAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaha!!!!! Bree, aren''t you glad you''re not a ''hackey maam''? Sounds like some nasty disease! LOL!
14.gif

OMG!! That''s so awesome.

I have some of this great cheese by Cowgirl Creamery in my fridge at the moment; perhaps I can make some "Red Hawk e Maam-a-lade on Crackers" for an appetizer! Red Hawk Cheese Review

Thanks Ebree! Keep ''em coming!

f-d-l

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
this thread is making me hungry!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 3:34:15 PM
Author: Ellen

I have several good appetizer recipes, but I don''t know if they''d be considered ''clever''.
5.gif

Baked Little Smokies

1 pkg. smokies

1 lb. bacon

1 lb. brown sugar

Ellen, I am SOOOOOOO making these tonight! (Gee, should I roll the smokies in melted butter as well? LOL!) Wow, do you have any more ridiculously indulgent app recipes you''d be able to share? It''s been my experience that when you meet people who have little gems like this in their culinary repertoire, they have TONS more waiting in reserves as well!
18.gif

f-d-l

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''m totally on board with serving lots of finger foods tonight. Some I''m thinking of:

--Grill, Baby, Grill(ed) Cheese Sandwiches
--Malarkey Lime Pie Martinis (with a Phil Gramm Cracker Crust rim, of course)
-- ??

There simply MUST be some clever ones based on the two words you KNOW are going to be mentioned tonight, i.e. "Wasilla" and "Scranton"...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who wants rum cake?!

Rum cake Collage.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
How coly, Freke. I''m canceling my plans for tonight and driving out to New Mexico instead!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY Freke, that looks delicious. We love rum cake
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 5:01:55 PM

Ellen, I am SOOOOOOO making these tonight! (Gee, should I roll the smokies in melted butter as well? LOL!) Wow, do you have any more ridiculously indulgent app recipes you'd be able to share? It's been my experience that when you meet people who have little gems like this in their culinary repertoire, they have TONS more waiting in reserves as well!
18.gif

f-d-l
lol.gif
No kidding. I warned you guys mine weren't for dieters!
9.gif

Well, yes, I have more, not sure what you like, but I'll give the ones that get constant raves.

Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes (somewhat labor intensive)

1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
1/2 c. finely chopped green onion
2 tbsp. chopped parsley (I just use the dried equivalent)
2 tbsp. canned parmesan cheese
1/2 c. mayo
3 boxes cherry tomatoes

Mix all ingredients except maters. Cut a slice off the bottom of the tomato (not the stem end). Using whatever you have, (I use a metal 1/8th measuring spoon), scoop out pulp/innerds of mater. Put cut side down on paper towel to drain a couple minutes. Then fill. Refigerate. I will warn you, if you make these for a party, you cannot make enough!

Daffodil Dip

1/2 c. mayo (I should buy stock in this stuff, lol)
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tbsp. minced onion
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
dash pepper
1 hard boiled egg, chopped

Mix all, serve with wheat thins. The longer it sits, the better it gets, but good right after mixing also.

Easy Veggie Dip

1 pkg. Good seasons Italian dressing (dry)
16 oz. sour cream

Mix, and again the longer it sits the better it gets,

Hot sausage Dip

1 lb. hot sausage
1 lb. Velveeta
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small jar jalapeno peppers
1 small jar/can mushrooms, chopped

Use as many peppers as you want, depending on how hot you want it. Many times I just leave them out alltogether and let it "cook" a bit which brings out the heat in the sausage.

Cook and crumble sausage. Cube Velveeta. Throw all in crock pot and heat until melted. Serve with plain tortilla chips.

I've got more, maybe we can do the Chicken Liver Pate next week, might be more appropo...
9.gif
2.gif

Mrss, I'm starving now! Freke, that cake looks devine.
39.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Moose Stew Recipe

Heat oil just to smoking, add meat all at once and brown rapidly until all cubes are well browned.
Reduce heat and add onions, celery and spices.
Cook until onions are tender.
Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until meat is tender and vegetables are very tender.
Add more wine or beef broth if needed to keep meat from drying out.
If using moose or less tender meat, don''t add vegetables until meat has become tender.

moosestewcard.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, I have class from 7-9, so I''m probably going to be missing out on this debate as well.

...sigh...

But guess who is having a piece of rum cake before she goes to class?
27.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I will be participating in spirit--we''re going over to a friends house to watch the debate. I think I''ll be drinking martinis, so I may be under the table tonight!

*prints a couple of bingo sheets*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crazy day...haven''t been able to get anything for snacks...and no wine! I may have to just drink a shot of vodka or something.

All I have for dinner are nuts (pistachio). Kind of fitting too, I think....
3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 8:07:15 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Crazy day...haven''t been able to get anything for snacks...and no wine! I may have to just drink a shot of vodka or something.

All I have for dinner are nuts (pistachio). Kind of fitting too, I think....
3.gif
NUTS! YES! Another perfect VP debate food!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results