shape
carat
color
clarity

DBTY bracelet is here, but...

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Some of you might remember that I ordered a DBTY bracelet from IDJ. It was a custom project - five 12point diamonds, 14k white gold, 6 inches long. I just got it today, and I am happy with the diamonds and the quality overall. However, I'm not in love with the placement of the diamonds. Two of them are placed extremely close to the clasp, which I don't love. Here's a picture:

img_2139.jpg

I made payment for the project on 1/20/15, which was a Wednesday, and was told that they would start working on it the following week. I never heard from them again until I got a FedEx notification on 2/4/15 that it was being sent out. This is my first time having a bracelet made, and I had assumed that I would receive some sort of communication or pictures to approve before it was sent out. If I had seen something beforehand, I would certainly have asked that those two diamonds not be placed so close to the clasp. In retrospect, I should have checked in on the status or confirmed that I would received pictures beforehand. I didn't check in because I didn't know what a reasonable timeframe was (I figured if it went longer than 2 weeks without hearing anything, I would check in), and I didn't want to be pushy or annoying. I didn't even think to ask to get pictures beforehand because I thought it was a given.

My question at this point is what, if anything, should I do? Should I contact IDJ and express that I don't like the placement of those two diamonds? Could anything even be done about that at this point, and if so, should I expect to pay more for it? Or, should I just leave it alone and deal with it? What would you do?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the bracelet will not stay in that one position with the clasp most visible.
In fact, I think it will constantly move around and all parts will be equally visible.

You only posted one pic ... of the side with the clasp.
That does not tell the whole story.

Can you post a pic of the entire bracelet laid out flat in a straight line?
if all the diamonds spaced apart equally, I'd leave it alone
If those are the only two diamonds on the entire bracelet I would ask them to move them.

In the future I'd assume nothing.
I'd assume the worst, and ask lots of questions and communicate lots and lots.

screen_shot_2016-02-08_at_5.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take a picture of the bracelet off your wrist? I want to see the spacing when it's linear...

The way I would envision is for the diamonds to be placed with even spacing, and the last two diamonds by the clasp would be half the space... Something like this:

@--X----X----X----X----X--@

IDJ has done the same thing to me lolol... They made me a pendant and I was expecting some notice or pics or something before it ships, but the next thing I know I have an email on Sunday with the FedEx tracking number.

Having dealt with IDJ for 6+ years now, I know they value their reputation and doing right by their customers. I would call and ask to speak to Yekutiel and ask if they could please work with you on the bracelet spacing, and if and when they fix the spacing and send it out, to please send you a video and or pics, and to not send the bracelet without your approval.

Actually, BGD recently sent me glamour pics of my rings from them after they shipped to me, too! Note to self and fellow PSers, ask for pics prior to shipping lolol.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Kenny and PintoBean! You both bring up an excellent point.The diamonds on the bracelet as a whole are, in fact, evenly spaced. Maybe it's not an issue after all? Here's a picture:
img_2144_0.jpg

kenny said:
In the future I'd assume nothing.
I'd assume the worst, and ask lots of questions and communicate lots and lots.
Yes, this is very good advice, and definitely something I'll be adhering to from now on!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the diamonds are correctly spaced so that they are equal-distance when the bracelet is worn on the wrist.

DK :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess this is advice for future reference, but for a DBTY piece, it is best to give specific spacing information, such as, beginning with the clasp, measure one inch and then put the first stone, 1 inch of chain, second stone, etc. I drew my long 36" chain on a piece of paper in a V shape and experimented until I got the stones in the right place. I also didn't want stones close to the clasp. For your bracelet, I would have counted the clasp and started the diamonds at one inch and then 1 inch apart. Not sure if they'd redo it since they weren't given specs before making it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1454981825|3988597 said:
I guess this is advice for future reference, but for a DBTY piece, it is best to give specific spacing information, such as, beginning with the clasp, measure one inch and then put the first stone, 1 inch of chain, second stone, etc. I drew my long 36" chain on a piece of paper in a V shape and experimented until I got the stones in the right place. I also didn't want stones close to the clasp. For your bracelet, I would have counted the clasp and started the diamonds at one inch and then 1 inch apart. Not sure if they'd redo it since they weren't given specs before making it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks DS! Live and learn, I guess!!! ;-)

After taking a second look at it off the wrist, I see that the diamonds actually all are equidistant to one another, which makes me feel a bit better about things. I probably still wouldn't have chosen to have the first and last diamond so close to one another, had I realized that I should have given specific spacing information. I just played around a bit with measurements, and I would have probably preferred for the first diamond to start 1.125 inches from the clasp and keep that spacing throughout. That however, would have made it so there was 1.5 inches from the first and last diamond, and it wouldn't be equidistant throughout the bracelet. I totally get why they did what they did...without specification from me, it makes sense that the natural thing to do would be to keep the diamonds evenly spaced throughout the bracelet.

At this point, I'm of two minds. :confused: Yes, I'd prefer different spacing, and a part of me feel like I should try to push for what would make me happiest. But on the other hand, I feel like it's my fault...I didn't specify spacing, and I assumed (without actual confirmation) that I'd get approval pictures beforehand. I mean, I didn't know better about the above points, but still, that's not their fault.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
It's perfect to me no other way I can see placing them

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the bracelet will rotate while you are wearing it I would like it just as it is...with the diamonds evenly spaced. With a DBTY necklace it doesn't rotate much (at least when I wear mine it doesn't) so the diamond spacing is best to start a little further from the clasp which is worn behind the neck and isn't as obvious as a DBTY bracelet clasp. So I think where your diamonds are located is perfect as long as each diamond is equidistant from the other when closed. I'm not 100% clear if they are when the bracelet is closed so if it is I think it is perfect. If not I would want it redone.

Of course you should be happy with your bracelet so if you are not I would not hesitate to contact Yekutiel. He is a lovely to deal with and he would want you to be pleased with your purchase.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you feeling about the bracelet today? Maybe live with it for the rest of the week and see how you feel come Monday!

I bet starting a thread, postings pics in "show me the bling", and getting everyone's "ooo's" and "ahhh's" will make you feel better! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll just say that I think it's okay, too. I am not sure it would make that much difference to change it since bracelets do turn on the wrist to a degree. The diamonds do have to be evenly spaced, but you just have to work it out on graph paper or something. I was mainly concerned with my necklace because I certainly didn't want 4 stones basically behind my neck! All the diamonds will show on a bracelet.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your input! DS - I actually did plot things out on graph paper last night. The diamonds are currently spaced 1.325 inches apart, with about .75 inches from the first to the last when clasped. Ideally, for them to truly be evenly spaced, they would be 1.2 inches apart through the entire bracelet. It's a small thing, but I can't help feeling like it will keep bugging me so I sent Yekutiel and email just to see if it would even be a possibility. He is such a lovely man, and they are willing to redo it for me so I will be dropping it off tomorrow. I feel badly - I really don't want to be difficult or annoying, but in my heart of hearts, I know I'll be happier with it truly evenly spaced at 1.2 inches throughout.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1455039716|3988889 said:
Thank you all for your input! DS - I actually did plot things out on graph paper last night. The diamonds are currently spaced 1.325 inches apart, with about .75 inches from the first to the last when clasped. Ideally, for them to truly be evenly spaced, they would be 1.2 inches apart through the entire bracelet. It's a small thing, but I can't help feeling like it will keep bugging me so I sent Yekutiel and email just to see if it would even be a possibility. He is such a lovely man, and they are willing to redo it for me so I will be dropping it off tomorrow. I feel badly - I really don't want to be difficult or annoying, but in my heart of hearts, I know I'll be happier with it truly evenly spaced at 1.2 inches throughout.

This sounds like the best resolution! :appl: :appl: :appl: If you're unhappy with the bracelet, it will end up unloved and unworn. So happy that Yekutiel is taking care of you!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just be sure you included a short note to Yuketiel AND a diagram of the desired spacing you want in the package you sent back. Then call in a couple of days to see or send an email that you'd like to see a picture of the finished bracelet before sending it back to you! Hopefully this will be exactly what you want! And post again we you do receive it! :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad IDJ will redo it for you. I agree with you. It would bug me to no end. That's just me, but I could not wear that bracelet and be at peace with it. Good luck on the revised piece. Good advice for everyone doing DBTY.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that was unfortunate spacing (with 40% of the diamonds in a spot that you want to hide), and I'm glad they are going to redo it.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all!

PintoBean, you nailed it on the head...it's probably a small thing to most people, but it bugs me, and ultimately, I want to LOVE the bracelet and wear it all the time! That's what really pushed me over into asking about it, and I'm so glad I did.

Crazie4Cuts, that is fantastic advice, and I will definitely be sure to include a note in the package!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you're on the path toward having it redone in a way that would make you happy. My first thought was - are they evenly spaced when the bracelet is laid out? But, in thinking further about it, I would want it to viewed and spaced "as worn", and for the clasp to basically 'count' as one of the stations (for visual purposes), thus putting the diamond bezels closer together (if that makes sense). It sounds like that's what you're after now, and I'm glad they're working with you on it, so best wishes that you end up with a bracelet you love. :appl:

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I got my bracelet back today, and I'm now in love with it! I am so much happier with the spacing. Also, Yekutiel and the IDJ team are amazing!!! Yekutiel was perfectly gracious when I contacted him about a redo, and before they started working on it, one of the members of their team called me to talk over the spacing. When they called me yesterday to tell me it was ready, they told me there was a charge of $50 (I had asked about this beforehand and was aware there may be an additional charge). I was totally OK with this since they were redoing my bracelet and since I hadn't actually provided any instructions about the spacing the first time around. However, when I picked it up today, Yekutiel waived the charge for me! I am totally thrilled with IDJ, from their customer service to their workmanship! :appl:

Onto the pictures...I don't have the best pictures, but I hope they illustrate the new spacing. You can see how close the first and last diamond were to the clasp before. The spacing is much more even now. Below are my before and afters (before on the top, after on the bottom...Also excuse the big white spot at the bottom. I whited it out to cover up a somewhat distinguishing tattoo because every so often I get struck with a huge paranoia about putting myself out there too much in the internet.):
fotorcreated.jpg

And one shot of it "in action" on my wrist:
img_2162_0.jpg

I'm SO happy with the bracelet!!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! I agree with you - having 2 diamonds so close to the clasp would bother me as well. I'm so glad it worked out. And it is absolutely stunning! :love: :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome service and you sound SO happy with your bracelet now!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

It's beautiful! I like the new spacing better too ::) :sun:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so glad you took it back! The spacing is better! I belatedly have one more suggestion and realize what didn't look right to me.

Next to the clasp, there are three O-rings. There should be the clasp, ONE O-ring, and then chain to the first diamond. The three O-rings do not look right. I honestly would take it back one more time and get them to fix that. I just can't see any reason for that and it will look better if they fix that, too. So sorry I didn't see the update that you were taking it back!

I am showing you what I mean with a picture of mine. There is an O-ring on one end of the bracelet, and then the clasp and one O-ring after that to connect to the chain. Sorry the picture is not very good!

2016-02-17_19.jpg

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the modification and spacing much better now! Good to see that it all worked out!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1455756655|3992334 said:
Okay, so glad you took it back! The spacing is better! I belatedly have one more suggestion and realize what didn't look right to me.

Next to the clasp, there are three O-rings. There should be the clasp, ONE O-ring, and then chain to the first diamond. The three O-rings do not look right. I honestly would take it back one more time and get them to fix that. I just can't see any reason for that and it will look better if they fix that, too. So sorry I didn't see the update that you were taking it back!

I am showing you what I mean with a picture of mine. There is an O-ring on one end of the bracelet, and then the clasp and one O-ring after that to connect to the chain. Sorry the picture is not very good!

You got there first there should be chain there instead of O rings for sure and do they not do a prettier clasp IMO very shoddy work

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I agree that the clasp is unnecessarily bulky and long.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's alright, girly glam, if you're cool with the clasp as is. Mine has the same thing a circle than a thicker oval than a circle and finally the lobster claw. I was just bending and rebending my lobster claw bc I didn't like how the "tongue" met the hook Lolol.

_36506.jpg

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, thanks so everyone who commented today - I didn't realize all the subsequent comments about the clasp until now! I do see what you all mean about the clasp, but it really doesn't bother me too much. I also don't feel entirely comfortable bringing it back a second time and asking for another modification, which I realize might be silly, but still, I think this is one I can live with. :)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
If you love it cool - its just if I am paying money I want what I want and would ask again and again until I got it - complaining is just a habit I have had from birth lol

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great! a lobster clasp can sometimes be a small extra expense so some jewelers don't use unless you ask. It is lovely. any ring updates? :dance:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
artdecolover71|1456486206|3995951 said:
I think it looks great! a lobster clasp can sometimes be a small extra expense so some jewelers don't use unless you ask. It is lovely. any ring updates? :dance:

Extra cost O I thought it was the cheap option i like hidden closures or on this style I would want a T Bar

Besides not liking the clasp the rest of the bracelet is beautiful and looks lovely on the wrist

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results