shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass 3-stone reset (from WF Butterflies) + question

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your new setting and it sounds like it will suit you perfectly.

(Random aside - I also love the two bracelets you have stacked with your Love in one of the pictures. Would you be able to share where they’re from?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you were able to get a setting you love! I really like the proportions of your stones!

As for the inscription, I have had many ACAs over the years and have never looked at an inscription. I think it doesn’t matter at all that it is partly under a prong. The stone looks almost perfectly set to me. I wouldn’t touch it personally.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Are you selling the whiteflash butterfly setting?

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
beautiful!! Thank you for sharing- I am seeing this at just the right time to calm my nerves. I’m in the middle of designing my e ring which is 3 stone N/S set, but I have full cups with prongs on the side! I’ve been worried about what it would look like in real life and have had trouble finding any photos like what my cad designer is showing.
I also am so curious about painting the inside of the cups, that’s awesome! mine is in platinum and my sides are approx I, but center is around L and i’ve been curious about having the whole cup be yellow gold to highlight the center, but wasn’t crazy about mixing metals in this instance.

I would love to see your CADS and such! It sounds like it will be lovely. Do you have a thread? I love N/S set prongs too. One day I'll have a set.

The rhodium cup was a good idea. I don't even know its there! I agree with mixing metals; I know many do and I love the look of it. What I'm not sure of is how strong it is where it has been melded together. I'm sure its fine for normal use of the ring but hey - I like chunky.

Did you decide to go for platinum over white gold b/c its more warm? If platinum, I am sure the rhodium cup will help with the warmth if you are worried it.

This is a very cool setting! I also like a little “chunk” and casual.

You nailed it!

She is my chunky monkey!

I REALLY REALLY like your setting. It is cool, durable, and love the four prong look. Ok, I have an inscription story. When I got my first pave setting from Victor, the inscription was covered. His immediate response was send it back. I'll rotate it for you right away. My OCD, worst case scenario brain said, what if it isn't mine? I sent it back. He rotated it. I got it back in a couple of days. Problem solved. If you're crazy, welcome to the party. We're called PS. And I think it's possible that the facets may not 100% line up, but I didn't care. I needed to be able to see the inscription. Take as you will.

Thank you for the warm welcome into the PS crazy party! More important is the alignment of the prongs to the tips of the stone and not floating about in a one weird non-sensible pattern. So I'm not particular with which points the prongs line up so long as they line up to points. This is important to me.

I think I'll leave it as is for now although DK did offer to "fix" it so I could see the inscription. Still deciding.

I have to say I love the 3 stone butterfly setting but kudos to you for figuring out your style and going for it! This
looks "down to Earth" and very wearable as far as comfort and not having to worry about it so much. Nice job!

Thank you, I'm so happy with it. It is very wearable and comfortable. DK did a great job.

I don't think you need to rotate it. You can probably do an ID with your report and a loupe. If you're really uncomfortable, you can just have it unmounted to check the number. It's a beauty. Congratulations.

I looked under a loupe. It is a VVS2 so I've never been able to see the inclusions even under a loupe. Is there something else to be looking for? I used the loupe round and round the girdle. Nothin.

Thank you!

I love your ring! I trade style for substance whenever I have something made, so I completely understand your decision to change mountings. It's beautiful.

I also understand what David was talking about regarding the stone lining up in its setting. Caolsen is right, and I think the NSEW compass-point alignment is a very creative way of placing it. However, you could always go with a "standard" choice of placing the points toward the prongs, which should uncover your inscription. I'm very compulsive with stone placement, so nothing in between would work for me.

Beautifully said. Style for substance. There have been a few stones I've had to ask bench's to orient "the right way" since nothing lined up whatsoever and you are right - this would drive me bonkers more than not seeing the inscription. I'd even be happy to see the inscription even just once in this setting, LOL! Just so I know where it is.

I wouldn't want to risk ruining the current prongs though.

I absolutely love your reset, @Lvoeshinythings! :love: It is so chic and secure and beautiful... truly a trifecta of positives if you ask me! Re: rotating for the inscription, I think it is strictly personal preference, but only you know your comfort level so I would go with your gut in that regard. Congratulations on this beautiful redesign, and hope it brings you much joy!!

Thank you! It proper secure (a great word for it!).

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Love your new setting! But do you have a photo of the side or front of your three stone in the profile photo with the six prongs? I'm resetting my diamond in a three stone and am working on the setting. Thanks!

I started a thread with the Whiteflash Butterflies that you could reference for photos. I posted a lot of them in there.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
So happy you were able to get a setting you love! I really like the proportions of your stones!

As for the inscription, I have had many ACAs over the years and have never looked at an inscription. I think it doesn’t matter at all that it is partly under a prong. The stone looks almost perfectly set to me. I wouldn’t touch it personally.

Thank you! I think I will leave it for now. It looks amazing. It just bothers me that its all covered.

I love your new setting and it sounds like it will suit you perfectly.

(Random aside - I also love the two bracelets you have stacked with your Love in one of the pictures. Would you be able to share where they’re from?)

Thank you! Yes they are actually a gift from Mejuri, if you can believe that! My friend got them awhile ago during a sale, I think?

pandacat

Rough_Rock
I would love to see your CADS and such! It sounds like it will be lovely. Do you have a thread? I love N/S set prongs too. One day I'll have a set.

The rhodium cup was a good idea. I don't even know its there! I agree with mixing metals; I know many do and I love the look of it. What I'm not sure of is how strong it is where it has been melded together. I'm sure its fine for normal use of the ring but hey - I like chunky.

Did you decide to go for platinum over white gold b/c its more warm? If platinum, I am sure the rhodium cup will help with the warmth if you are worried it.

She is my chunky monkey!

Thank you for the warm welcome into the PS crazy party! More important is the alignment of the prongs to the tips of the stone and not floating about in a one weird non-sensible pattern. So I'm not particular with which points the prongs line up so long as they line up to points. This is important to me.

I think I'll leave it as is for now although DK did offer to "fix" it so I could see the inscription. Still deciding.

Thank you, I'm so happy with it. It is very wearable and comfortable. DK did a great job.

I looked under a loupe. It is a VVS2 so I've never been able to see the inclusions even under a loupe. Is there something else to be looking for? I used the loupe round and round the girdle. Nothin.

Thank you!

Beautifully said. Style for substance. There have been a few stones I've had to ask bench's to orient "the right way" since nothing lined up whatsoever and you are right - this would drive me bonkers more than not seeing the inscription. I'd even be happy to see the inscription even just once in this setting, LOL! Just so I know where it is.

I wouldn't want to risk ruining the current prongs though.

Thank you! It proper secure (a great word for it!).
Your beautiful piece actually inspired my first comment here, so no thread yet! I think I will post a Part 1 thread, but the design process has been a little rocky because I decided to work with a local jeweler, who then contracts a cad designer and I can’t speak directly with her. My stones are heirloom so I’m not concerned about the color, I actually was thinking it may be fun to boost the warm ness of the center stone with yellow gold.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hey! I wanted to provide an update on the inscription:

I was going to leave it as is. I took David’s suggestion and went to see another jeweler to locate the part of the inscription that could be showing near a prong. They couldn’t find it. It worried me.

David graciously offered to have me send it back to turn the stone. I was worried bc I don’t like diamonds flying back and forth in the mail even though it’s all insured. I also did not want the prongs any smaller than current and didn’t want to affect the integrity of the ring.

David received it, turned the stone, and sent it back out all in the same day. He sent me pics of the finished product and it’s like the original. She is now home safe and sound. I can see the inscription and the prongs (and all else) is frikken perfect.

He and team were great to work with (this is my fourth or fifth project with him) and he will continue to be my-guy!

Just wanted to officially provide some closure on this thread in case anyone references it in the future.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lvoeshinythings - I love your new setting! It's a showstopper, totally made me stop and go wow!

Could I ask your opinion/observation on something? I have a three-stone in the works myself (also with ACAs). I am trying to decide between an open gallery setting and a closed cup gallery. Since you started off with an open gallery, and reset to a closed cup gallery can you speak to any differences in how the diamonds look/perform in each? Is there a difference in the overall effect/personality of the diamonds between the two?

Thank you so much for any insight you can offer, and enjoy that gorgeous oh-so-wearable beauty!

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Lvoeshinythings - I love your new setting! It's a showstopper, totally made me stop and go wow!

Could I ask your opinion/observation on something? I have a three-stone in the works myself (also with ACAs). I am trying to decide between an open gallery setting and a closed cup gallery. Since you started off with an open gallery, and reset to a closed cup gallery can you speak to any differences in how the diamonds look/perform in each? Is there a difference in the overall effect/personality of the diamonds between the two?

Thank you so much for any insight you can offer, and enjoy that gorgeous oh-so-wearable beauty!
I was worried too. I don’t see any difference although I’m sure there should be some difference as light is not being let in at the gallery view.

My cups are coated in rhodium though so it’s not yellow gold inside the cups.

I had the Butterflies for a year and now this custom piece. I stared at Butterflies for a year and this one for only a few weeks, so there is that.

Water does get stuck under the cups/diamond after hand washing. It’s kind of annoying but so far, I am okay with it. If there was a way to let the water out like with more airline or something; I may have opted for that option in hindsight.

Your project sounds like fun. Do you have a thread?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me! That is very helpful - I have to think about the water getting trapped as that may annoy me over time.

I haven't started a thread. My thoughts around projects can sometimes get so disorganized and I go in a bunch of different directions at once. It's better for me to wait until I've settled and picked a lane. :D

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me! That is very helpful - I have to think about the water getting trapped as that may annoy me over time.

I haven't started a thread. My thoughts around projects can sometimes get so disorganized and I go in a bunch of different directions at once. It's better for me to wait until I've settled and picked a lane. :D
The trapped water can be annoying. Especially sometimes when it’s quiet, I can actually hear it swishing around in there to the point that I need to take the ring off and shake it.

What size are your stones? My center is 2.58 and that’s where I hear the water get trapped. For a smaller stone, I’m not sure it would have the same effect (with the water).

There is also some space between the pavilion and my finger as the diamond height set is about 6.5mm (and the stone is only 5.39mm tall). Not sure if that makes a difference but wanted to throw that out there. :)

When dry, I am over the moon with the cups. When wet, I am a little irritated. :bigsmile:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, that make sense! Any setting has its drawbacks so I think it's a matter of figuring out which is easiest to live with. I'd say occasional annoyance from trapped water is not bad at all!

Yeah my center stone is much smaller at 1.1cts. So maybe that won't be as much of an issue, as you suggested. The ring in my avatar is actually pretty cup-ish, and the diamond is only .76 carats... thinking about it, the ring sometimes retains a little moisture but more along the lines of 'there is some dampness' vs. trapped water.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results