shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass 3-stone reset (from WF Butterflies) + question

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I've figured it out. I change dresses just about every year. :bigsmile: This same time last year I had my 3 stones set into the WF Butterflies setting (and enjoyed it all year long in quarantine).

In quarantine, I kept thinking: I love it; it's just not 'me.' It's feminine and well - like a butterfly. Which, I am not. I'm more casual. Cool, sometimes. Clumsy. 49% outdoorsy. Casual, all of the times. A dog-mom who likes the finer things in life, too. The shank was also too thin for my lifestyle. I have a Louis Vuitton gold ring that has a chunky round shank that I wanted my 3-stone to sit on.

I wanted a round chunky band, full cups, and prongs to sort of travel along the cups. The prongs traveling along the cups would be the design element of the setting.

It is everything I dreamed it would be. Sturdy. Chunky. ME.
I miss seeing the gallery of the diamond slightly but not as much as I thought I'd miss it. DK painted the inside of the cups with white gold to help with the I-color of the diamond. TBH, I think it would have been fine unpainted.

Hear me now: I am going to hang onto this one for more than a year.

David Klass is my go-to. He has done a few projects for me and my mom. I find him and Amy easy to work with, has very reasonable pricing and has good communication. He gives suggestions on style/usability when warranted and understands design. Sometimes the emails back and forth feel like forever in between but I know I'm just being impatient. :P2

Question: (and try not to let my immense amore for my new ring affect your answer here) how much or how little would it bother you that the AGS laser inscription is covered? Like, totally covered by one of the 4 prongs on the big diamond. It is visible on the two smaller side stones but NOT AT ALL visible on the big stone. I just like to see the inscription as an identifier that the diamond is indeed mine. I also feel weird about it being totally covered by a prong - how long are inscriptions? Is it really possible that the prong covered the whole dang inscription?

I asked DK about this, he said I could send it back and he would rotate it. But he keeps saying the facets will then not "line up." I don't believe this is true - since technically there are 8 facets of the star pattern to line the prongs up with. If he rotated it 1/8, the prongs would line up with a different set of facets. Am I correct in this thinking? Do I have it all wrong? I don't want to send it back just yet (maybe not ever if I can live with it). I just got it back in possession today (I'm sure many here will resonate with this.)

Diamond deets:
2.58 I VVS2 WF ACA center
.40 I VS1 side
.41 I VS2 side

Thank you for letting me share and I hope you and your gems are doing well in 2021!

Last edited:

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
No airline

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
You mischievous sly fox! You’ve also been quite busy during quarantine and reset your stones! It looks super sturdy and like it’ll be right at home with your lifestyle!

Dunno about the inscription and the facets lining up but I think it looks great! Does it bother you a lot? You think it’ll continue bothering you? Maybe live with the ring for a little bit? You did say you just got it today :)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m all in favor of new dresses and this one is so unique! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 3 stone setting like this! :kiss2:
As to your question—it would not bother me but then I don’t have a loupe strong enough to see my inscription!

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
You mischievous sly fox! You’ve also been quite busy during quarantine and reset your stones! It looks super sturdy and like it’ll be right at home with your lifestyle!

Dunno about the inscription and the facets lining up but I think it looks great! Does it bother you a lot? You think it’ll continue bothering you? Maybe live with the ring for a little bit? You did say you just got it today :)

Silently busy. Haha. Glad to see you’re working on your own project too. You really do have impeccable taste.

The inscription thing bothers me because the odds are that it would not be covered. There are only 4 prongs and so much more of the girdle that is left uncovered. Why is the inscription covered?

Unless...? I let my mind wander and think: am I sure this is my stone? It seems like my stone but how can I be sure? What if an accident happened and all these 2.58 ct I color diamonds for mixed up and this one is actually not mine?

Nothing that DK did would make me think this happened, I might add. It’s just me being annoying. I just worry and think of bad scenarios.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I’m all in favor of new dresses and this one is so unique! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 3 stone setting like this! :kiss2:
As to your question—it would not bother me but then I don’t have a loupe strong enough to see my inscription!

Oh wow! I spent a good portion of this afternoon looking through my loupe for it. Round and round and round. I sign of it.

Are you ever curious to see your inscription? I just like seeing the little details like that, barcodes, tiny engravings and such.

Hooray for new dresses!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I spent a good portion of this afternoon looking through my loupe for it. Round and round and round. I sign of it.

Are you ever curious to see your inscription? I just like seeing the little details like that, barcodes, tiny engravings and such.

Hooray for new dresses!

I’ve seen it before—yes. But after that, nope. And no overwhelming desire or need to.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I’ve seen it before—yes. But after that, nope. And no overwhelming desire or need to.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps it’s not a big deal and I’m just being silly to care about it so much. :lol:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Love the finger coverage on you! Another 3 stone beaut!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! Stunning ring, looks beautiful on you! :love: And I say change things up as often as you like!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks utterly lovely on you :)
Finding a setting that’s ‘you’ is priceless.

Out of curiosity, what is your sweet spot for shank width on this ring compared to your last?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Love the new set up for your stones. You nailed the dog mom with style vibe.

On the inscription, I actively hide them and want them covered. Every stone I have with one is bezel set (with one exception).

I think it comes down to trust - those inscriptions are not done by hand, they’re done with a laser. If a jeweler is going to swap & steal stones, what’s to stop them from getting a laser and a PC to mimic the inscriptions? It’s what I would do. Swapping a stone for a non engraved one would be so amateur and would if you didn’t do that you’re makingit pretty easy for the police to figure out what was. I mean, if you didn’t cut the engraving out before they sold the stolen stone an insurer would never pay out for a twice insured stone.

Last edited:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely and congrats on finding your "me" setting. I love the solid cups.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
As for the facets lining up, I think my OCD brain sees what he’s talking about. Perhaps it’s not the top star facets but the pavilion facets he’s mentioning that are current beautifully set at the compass points, N, E, S & W.

I tried to circle what I’m talking about. B09EFCE3-B315-4F2B-9848-18C04C98185A.jpeg

pandacat

Rough_Rock
beautiful!! Thank you for sharing- I am seeing this at just the right time to calm my nerves. I’m in the middle of designing my e ring which is 3 stone N/S set, but I have full cups with prongs on the side! I’ve been worried about what it would look like in real life and have had trouble finding any photos like what my cad designer is showing.
I also am so curious about painting the inside of the cups, that’s awesome! mine is in platinum and my sides are approx I, but center is around L and i’ve been curious about having the whole cup be yellow gold to highlight the center, but wasn’t crazy about mixing metals in this instance.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is a very cool setting! I also like a little “chunk” and casual.

You nailed it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I REALLY REALLY like your setting. It is cool, durable, and love the four prong look. Ok, I have an inscription story. When I got my first pave setting from Victor, the inscription was covered. His immediate response was send it back. I'll rotate it for you right away. My OCD, worst case scenario brain said, what if it isn't mine? I sent it back. He rotated it. I got it back in a couple of days. Problem solved. If you're crazy, welcome to the party. We're called PS. And I think it's possible that the facets may not 100% line up, but I didn't care. I needed to be able to see the inscription. Take as you will.

Bishbunch

Rough_Rock
I think this is absolutely beautiful and sounds perfect for your lifestyle!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I love the 3 stone butterfly setting but kudos to you for figuring out your style and going for it! This
looks "down to Earth" and very wearable as far as comfort and not having to worry about it so much. Nice job!

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring! I trade style for substance whenever I have something made, so I completely understand your decision to change mountings. It's beautiful.

I also understand what David was talking about regarding the stone lining up in its setting. Caolsen is right, and I think the NSEW compass-point alignment is a very creative way of placing it. However, you could always go with a "standard" choice of placing the points toward the prongs, which should uncover your inscription. I'm very compulsive with stone placement, so nothing in between would work for me.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love your reset, @Lvoeshinythings! :love: It is so chic and secure and beautiful... truly a trifecta of positives if you ask me! Re: rotating for the inscription, I think it is strictly personal preference, but only you know your comfort level so I would go with your gut in that regard. Congratulations on this beautiful redesign, and hope it brings you much joy!!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

On the inscription, I actively hide them and want them covered. Every stone I have with one is bezel set (with one exception).

I think it comes down to trust - those inscriptions are not done by hand, they’re done with a laser. If a jeweler is going to swap & steal stones, what’s to stop them from getting a laser and a PC to mimic the inscriptions? It’s what I would do. Swapping a stone for a non engraved one would be so amateur and would if you didn’t do that you’re makingit pretty easy for the police to figure out what was. I mean, if you didn’t cut the engraving out before they sold the stolen stone an insurer would never pay out for a twice insured stone.

Sorry for the typos in this, btw.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
As for the facets lining up, I think my OCD brain sees what he’s talking about. Perhaps it’s not the top star facets but the pavilion facets he’s mentioning that are current beautifully set at the compass points, N, E, S & W.

I tried to circle what I’m talking about. B09EFCE3-B315-4F2B-9848-18C04C98185A.jpeg

Thank you Caolsen! I didn't think of it that way. I just kep looking at the top star facets and wracking my brain like what is he talking about? Just rotate it 1/8 the way and we're set! Thank you for pointing this out and putting my mind at ease.

I have a 30x and 60x loupe and I just ordered another one to see what I can see. I might just let it go though.

Appreciate the drawing.

Out of curiosity, what is your sweet spot for shank width on this ring compared to your last?

Thank you! I agree. It has been quite a journey. Hubby is just like whatever now, he doesn't even bat an eye when I present my new ring to him.

Butterflies was about 1.8mm wide and this one is about 2.3mm-2.4mm. This new guy is really where I think I'll stay from now on b/c of the size of the stones. The center is 8.9x5.39 and sides are about 4.5x2.92. For me, any thinner on the shank and the diamonds get spinny and look odd on the thinner shank. (I am not a huge fan of the whole big diamond on a thin shank look, for many reasons.)

How about you?

Thank you! I love it! It is so me!

I thought about that... if it were a bezel, that I did have before in another ring, I wouldn't see it anyways. Why didn't that drive me mad?

I hear you on the trust. Of course I trust David. I was just thinking of an accident, unintended switch and going down that rabbit hole of what-if's. It's how I'm wired, unfortunately.

Lovely and congrats on finding your "me" setting. I love the solid cups.

Thank you. Me too. I get mildly annoyed when I wash my hands as water does get trapped under there. Hopefully it won't bother me too much in the long run. I had debated opening up the cups with some sort of cut-out but I think it would ruin the lines of my "traveling prongs" (and I wasn't willing to give up my traveling prongs).

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Silently busy. Haha. Glad to see you’re working on your own project too. You really do have impeccable taste.

The inscription thing bothers me because the odds are that it would not be covered. There are only 4 prongs and so much more of the girdle that is left uncovered. Why is the inscription covered?

Unless...? I let my mind wander and think: am I sure this is my stone? It seems like my stone but how can I be sure? What if an accident happened and all these 2.58 ct I color diamonds for mixed up and this one is actually not mine?

Nothing that DK did would make me think this happened, I might add. It’s just me being annoying. I just worry and think of bad scenarios.

It’s ok! I do the same thing. My mind starts to create scenarios. If it really bothers and you want peace of mind, have DK adjust the diamond. I really don’t think it’s not your diamond though :)

suredoshine

Rough_Rock

Rfisher, I'm getting ready to reset my diamond in a three stone, and I see you have 8 prongs. Can you show me a photo of that ring from the side (front?) so I can see the way it is set? Thank you!

suredoshine

Rough_Rock
I've figured it out. I change dresses just about every year. :bigsmile: This same time last year I had my 3 stones set into the WF Butterflies setting (and enjoyed it all year long in quarantine).

In quarantine, I kept thinking: I love it; it's just not 'me.' It's feminine and well - like a butterfly. Which, I am not. I'm more casual. Cool, sometimes. Clumsy. 49% outdoorsy. Casual, all of the times. A dog-mom who likes the finer things in life, too. The shank was also too thin for my lifestyle. I have a Louis Vuitton gold ring that has a chunky round shank that I wanted my 3-stone to sit on.

I wanted a round chunky band, full cups, and prongs to sort of travel along the cups. The prongs traveling along the cups would be the design element of the setting.

It is everything I dreamed it would be. Sturdy. Chunky. ME.
I miss seeing the gallery of the diamond slightly but not as much as I thought I'd miss it. DK painted the inside of the cups with white gold to help with the I-color of the diamond. TBH, I think it would have been fine unpainted.

Hear me now: I am going to hang onto this one for more than a year.

David Klass is my go-to. He has done a few projects for me and my mom. I find him and Amy easy to work with, has very reasonable pricing and has good communication. He gives suggestions on style/usability when warranted and understands design. Sometimes the emails back and forth feel like forever in between but I know I'm just being impatient. :P2

Question: (and try not to let my immense amore for my new ring affect your answer here) how much or how little would it bother you that the AGS laser inscription is covered? Like, totally covered by one of the 4 prongs on the big diamond. It is visible on the two smaller side stones but NOT AT ALL visible on the big stone. I just like to see the inscription as an identifier that the diamond is indeed mine. I also feel weird about it being totally covered by a prong - how long are inscriptions? Is it really possible that the prong covered the whole dang inscription?

I asked DK about this, he said I could send it back and he would rotate it. But he keeps saying the facets will then not "line up." I don't believe this is true - since technically there are 8 facets of the star pattern to line the prongs up with. If he rotated it 1/8, the prongs would line up with a different set of facets. Am I correct in this thinking? Do I have it all wrong? I don't want to send it back just yet (maybe not ever if I can live with it). I just got it back in possession today (I'm sure many here will resonate with this.)

Diamond deets:
2.58 I VVS2 WF ACA center
.40 I VS1 side
.41 I VS2 side

Thank you for letting me share and I hope you and your gems are doing well in 2021!

Love your new setting! But do you have a photo of the side or front of your three stone in the profile photo with the six prongs? I'm resetting my diamond in a three stone and am working on the setting. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results