shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaged old diamond

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
I just inherited my mother's engagement ring from 1943. She was told it was cracked and I can see numerous chips on the very thin girdle. When I loupe it I see what appears to be two feathers that meet in the middle. A recut doesn't look very likely, I think the only thing holding it together is the 6 prongs. It's not a good diamond, I think it's a tranny that was cut super steep on the pavilion and it has almost no crown. But it's hers, and if a recut were possible, I'd try it.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mya's ring.jpg

That is a gorgeous ring.
LOVE the design. :love:
A jeweller with expertise in repairing antique/vintage jewellery should have no trouble in doing that for you.
Two jewellers in the city where I live are able to do that. :)
And wear you Mother's ring in good health! X0

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Love that story about the ring. :kiss2:
And who is SWDC?
Am new here at the forums.
And if I may politely suggest see what your local jeweller(s) can do.
My local jewellers have done fantastic work on a 18k white gold ring that was my Mother's wedding ring with a little extra white gold to hold the small diamond in it.
She bought that ring in Germany in 1956.
My parents were both German and came to Canada in the 50s.
They got married three weeks and three days after they met.
And my Mother wanted her wedding ring from Germany. :)
And best of all I didn't have to send it out and picked it up person when the work was finished on the ring.
I wear that ring too on my pinky finger.
And enjoy wearing your Mother's ring for many years to come.
I think of my Mother every time I wear hers. :)

Also a great story, thank you! German workmanship, I bet your ring is wonderful. Post some photos.
Southwest Diamond Cutters, lots of good reviews for them here. If nothing else, maybe they can clean that girdle up so it's safer to wear. And maybe coax some better performance out of it, too. Of course, it did sparkle a lot more after I cleaned it 6 times.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results