shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaged old diamond

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I just inherited my mother's engagement ring from 1943. She was told it was cracked and I can see numerous chips on the very thin girdle. When I loupe it I see what appears to be two feathers that meet in the middle. A recut doesn't look very likely, I think the only thing holding it together is the 6 prongs. It's not a good diamond, I think it's a tranny that was cut super steep on the pavilion and it has almost no crown. But it's hers, and if a recut were possible, I'd try it.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mya's ring.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my. That stone’s got some stories to tell, doesn’t she?

I agree that a recut… Would probably either make the whole thing collapse or yield little more than a speck of stone. I wouldn’t give that route another thought, not for a stone that has so much value to you.

I wonder if a good bench could bezel it for you, or take the head intact and create some sort of collet… My recommendation is to reach out to Sako (@cdj_sako on IG).

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
yssie, thank you so much for your good advice. Yes, except for a new setting in the 80s, that stone's been on her hand since 8/21/1943.
Sako sounds like a great resource, thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums That’s so wonderful you have your mom’s engagement ring. Does it fit you now? I would be inclined to wear it on my right hand just as it is. I’m afraid that you may be right..that it could break apart if you had it removed from the prongs. If you wear it on your right hand you would be able to look at it on your hand just like your mom did every day that she wore it. That’s priceless.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do nothing and enjoy it? Sounds like it "only" has sentimental value now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gold really needs a good polish, it's pretty scratched up. Other than that, I would just wear and enjoy it!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just inherited my mother's engagement ring from 1943. She was told it was cracked and I can see numerous chips on the very thin girdle. When I loupe it I see what appears to be two feathers that meet in the middle. A recut doesn't look very likely, I think the only thing holding it together is the 6 prongs. It's not a good diamond, I think it's a tranny that was cut super steep on the pavilion and it has almost no crown. But it's hers, and if a recut were possible, I'd try it.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Mya's ring.jpg

Was this the special diamond you mentioned in another post? I'm afraid I know very little about re-cuts, but I agree with the others that it may be best to keep this ring exactly as it is to avoid damaging the diamond any further.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love rings that come dowm the generations with all their stories and love
i actually love the setting
Id wear it as it is and one day when the inevitable happens either buy a new diamond in memory of your mum and dad's marrage or pop in a lovelly coloured stone - what ever you would prefer to wear
Meanwhile take her out to lunch, watch late night tv with her, go for a walk together in the park, and just feel the love
After a good bath im she night just have some sparkle left in her that still wants to shine

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I mentioned this, maybe I hinted about putting the Todd Gray Asscher in this setting. Memory no longer serves. But so many kind posters have reinforced my suspicion, that if it's taken out of the setting, it's going to go Bang. Doesn't matter, it's not like she owed me a ring. Actually, it's been an interesting exercise, and a good diversion from sorting thru hundreds of Lands End turtlenecks and Talbot sweaters. OMG, that woman could shop. I'll wear the ring on my right pinky and think of her and her wonderful eye. She designed the house my brother and I need to empty out and sell and it's a stunning house, brilliant architecture.
I am so grateful to all who chimed in and said, just wear it and think of her. Thank you all.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’d at least consider repairing the stone. I’ve seen cutters fix horrible damage and come out with a lovely stone.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I’d at least consider repairing the stone. I’ve seen cutters fix horrible damage and come out with a lovely stone.

Really??? Who would I send it to?
I would pay to have someone look at it even if they said, "Not a good idea." I just want run down the possibility of reclaiming some of the diamond my Grandma Alrick told my father to buy for my mother during WW2.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I'd like to know who would cut it as well.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP-I can tell you that any heat from a torch [ie putting it into a bezel] will just increase the chance to damage it further.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
blingmeupscotty, thank you. I didn't think it would tolerate any work and was just going to wear it as a right hand pinky ring until it exploded. But if Rockdiamond has someone in mind . . .
And BTW, what is that fabulous thing in your avatar?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course anything is possible. Based on long, hard experience, I would not make such any definite pronouncements without personally inspecting the stone. Remember, when diamonds are cut ( polished actually) they’re exposed to tremendous amounts of heat. Obviously the stone in the picture has seen a lot of hard wear. That doesn’t mean it’s “falling apart”
I’m also not definitively saying it can be repaired……. But the possibility definitely exists.
In terms of who would do such a job…. If you have a relationship with a jeweler, ask them.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
No, no one can even guess until they see the diamond, I get that.
I know a good experienced goldsmith in Milwaukee. He buys diamonds from cutters in Calif. who are from India, he says they're stinkin' good. Other than him, I yie yie.
Do you have someone you would recommend?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
blingmeupscotty, thank you. I didn't think it would tolerate any work and was just going to wear it as a right hand pinky ring until it exploded. But if Rockdiamond has someone in mind . . .
And BTW, what is that fabulous thing in your avatar?

Thank you, that's my moco moissanite.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you, that's my moco moissanite.
GET OUT!!!!
That’s not a diamond?????
I’ve also admired your avatar. I would never have guessed…. Not that I’m a moissy expert

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it has served well and deserves a nice safe spot to retire to and come out to play once in a while in a safe place for the memories.
But hey I'm the weirdo *grin* that thinks diamonds get distressed locked in a safe and not playing in the light once in the while.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What?? And where does a moco moissanite come from?
I'm a dumb housewife but I can't believe you stumped David.

It was a custom order from moissaniteco.com. I’m not sure who they use as their supplier but this cut is amazing.

GET OUT!!!!
That’s not a diamond?????
I’ve also admired your avatar. I would never have guessed…. Not that I’m a moissy expert

correct ❤️

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Damage like you describe isn't usually a harbinger of future troubles. 'Usually' is an important qualifier there but it's unlikely that it's just being held together by the prongs. That said, details matter. Get it checked out by an expert who can look at in person. It's got a history, and it's your mother's history. For most people that's ok. Set it in something you love and then love it. That's what this stuff is for. There are two big things that will impact you.

1) If you ever sell it, expect some pushback on the price. You may be ok with your mother's wear and tear, but your buyer probably won't be.

2) Certain insurance companies have a problem underwriting a policy on pieces with 'pre-existing damage'. Most actually. It's a liability thing. It's best to assume that you will NOT be able to insure it in its present condition.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser thank you so much for weighing in. My mother wore the ring constantly in that condition since at least the mid-80s. It doesn't move when I tap it. I just see those feathers and the girdle chips and think, Yikes!
I don't plan to sell and certainly not without disclosure. I like the setting, it's on my pinky right now. Do you think it's worth looking into a recut?

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Only you know if you like it as is. If you do, then you have your answer. If you would like it to perform better, then you need to take @denverappraiser to heart and have it examined in person by an expert who can give his or her honest opinion.

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you think it's worth looking into a recut?

That's up to you. Usually not but I've never seen the stone. If you don't count it as a 'defect', and it doesn't cause future risk, why would you mess with it? Again, get it inspected by a pro. A photograph is simply not sufficient here.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser, I did as you and Wink suggested, it went to a local jeweler yesterday and they (2 people) noted numerous chips but no crack. There were two loose channel-set stones on the shank so those are being fixed, but I plan to wear it and enjoy it for a while, maybe someday consider a recut with SWDC.
Thank you both for your great advice.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser, I did as you and Wink suggested, it went to a local jeweler yesterday and they (2 people) noted numerous chips but no crack. There were two loose channel-set stones on the shank so those are being fixed, but I plan to wear it and enjoy it for a while, maybe someday consider a recut with SWDC.
Thank you both for your great advice.

I can’t believe I’m the first to ask … what is the size? It looks pretty big. How romantic that she wore that diamond since 1943. So many memories.
If you decide to go with SWDC at some point feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I currently have 2 OECs with them.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
kgizo, thanks for asking. I'd say roughly a carat, maybe a .90 something. I put my calipers on rather gingerly due to the chips and got about 6.47 mm. It's a deep stone with almost no crown. Thanks much for your offer. Down the road I'd like to send it to SWDC to see what they think they could do with it.
Story is my grandmother took my father to a jeweler in St. Paul and told him, this is the ring you should buy for Mya. She did the yellow gold reset in the 80s and it was already chipped at that point.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
kgizo, thanks for asking. I'd say roughly a carat, maybe a .90 something. I put my calipers on rather gingerly due to the chips and got about 6.47 mm. It's a deep stone with almost no crown. Thanks much for your offer. Down the road I'd like to send it to SWDC to see what they think they could do with it.
Story is my grandmother took my father to a jeweler in St. Paul and told him, this is the ring you should buy for Mya. She did the yellow gold reset in the 80s and it was already chipped at that point.

Love that story about the ring. :kiss2:
And who is SWDC?
Am new here at the forums.
And if I may politely suggest see what your local jeweller(s) can do.
My local jewellers have done fantastic work on a 18k white gold ring that was my Mother's wedding ring with a little extra white gold to hold the small diamond in it.
She bought that ring in Germany in 1956.
My parents were both German and came to Canada in the 50s.
They got married three weeks and three days after they met.
And my Mother wanted her wedding ring from Germany. :)
And best of all I didn't have to send it out and picked it up person when the work was finished on the ring.
I wear that ring too on my pinky finger.
And enjoy wearing your Mother's ring for many years to come.
I think of my Mother every time I wear hers. :)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results