shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaged Jewlery issue

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone. I sat down with my husband this morning and we discussed everything in great detail that was said here and came up with several action plans. I have asked the site to take down this (my previous) thread-- (I don't know if I did it correctly--I reported the post and included a note?-- please someone let me know if there is another way)

I would like everybody to know we COMPETELY appreciate your advice-- it is all cut and pasted into a personal document for reference

He just feels ( and I agree) that since this escalated so quickly with two different companies involved we don't want to add another thing to it. A mistake on our part and I deeply apologize if I have offended anyone. I own that. Everything that I have said has been true-- But I have let my frustrations get the best of me and it's unfair to take it our soley on JM- I AM upset and I DO feel we were blown off, but the blame is not all on them, This is equally JM, Jared and OUR fault. I take responsibility for some of the situation--we should have understood or policy better-- that's on us.

With both of us coming from families that are very big on jewelry, I have been asked several times in the past few weeks were is my ring is--not only setting off my frustrations but many bouts of tears and anxiety. We didn't want to explain what was going on to anyone in our lives-- Mainly for embarrassment purposes and frankly because they all would have been to nosy--without any consideration for our feelings and any helpful information- The support and advice on this board has been my saving grace because my real life support system (besides my fabulous husband) is slim to none. This may not be an "important" problem to the world but it is in OUR world.

This being said if JM at any point does step in and "help" or take over and we are forced to figure out the Jared situation on our own, we have come to the conclusion that we will be selling/trading the piece towards an entirely new ring with a different vendor. As well as my 7 carat tennis bracelet and my 5 stone ring (the ring I purchased to wear everyday--because my e-ring kept breaking, which also was sized same day service for a 7-10.25-- which I should have never done) The only item I will keep is my wedding band--due to sentimental reasons. The I can put this entire Jared nightmare behind us.

I truly hope that when the times comes I will be able to come back and get advice on selling/trading these items and finally getting a ring - and other replacements that I can be proud of that doesn't have such bad memories attached.

I apologize again if I have offended anyone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you didnt offend me...no need to apologize here.

I dont think you should worry about doing anything with your other pieces of jewelry right now. It's not good to make decisions when
you are feeling emotional and I know this is an emotional situation for you. Put your effort into getting an eye-clean AGS000 H stone
from Jareds. Either put it in a solitaire for now or the original correctly size 10 setting. Personally, I think you should put it in a
different setting so you are not reminded of the one that kept breaking. Dont worry about anything else. Its just not necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly understand why you are upset and can't imagine that anyone would be offended! I would be frustrated, too, if I basically had double coverage and both were avoiding covering what they say they will do.

As far as the diamond goes, it sounds like the jeweler will have to replace that (but regardless, that needs to be your first course of action). Vacations do not last forever, so I'd check and see if the store manager is back in tomorrow before going higher up. If there is some reason they will not replace with a like item, you just need it in writing why not so you can then file the claim with JM. I just think the person you dealt with at the jeweler was not authorized to give you an answer. In regard to the diamond, I am confident that it is going to be replaced by one place or the other, so I would relax just a little and see the process through. I personally think the only hope of refund on the setting is negligence on their part for sizing it up too much to begin with, but I have a feeling there is nowhere in writing that SK has said that is forbidden. It's one of those things that just wouldn't be done by most jewelers, and you had no idea it was not right to do. You didn't have to be the expert, your jeweler should have been. You probably can get an appraiser to say it was not acceptable in writing and present that to the jeweler, though. I consider the chipped stone accidental damage and not simply wear and tear, and that is a primary reason any of us has jewelry insurance. Either place could reject the claim on the setting, and honestly, if they do, I would be very focused on the diamond replacement and not so much the setting. It has to be replaced and not repaired.

Anyway, please update us. This is very important for others covered by a store policy and jewelry insurance. Good luck to you in getting a relatively quick resolution!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no reason for anyone here to be offended either. It is a rather complex situation and I would certainly be more concerned about having the diamond replaced even if you have to absorb the cost of the setting. Settings can be problematic and yours was compromised from the start with the resizing. I agree with DS - this is not something you were supposed to know - the jeweler should have known. They should have ordered it for you in your size but I'm guessing greed gets the better of them and they want to sell what they have in stock. Shame on them.

Please do keep us posted and let us know the outcome. I wish you all the best and hope you end up with a diamond and eventually a setting that you love!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
devthinksnpink|1472397893|4070879 said:
we have come to the conclusion that we will be selling/trading the piece towards an entirely new ring with a different vendor
Be aware that the trade-in value of a damaged ring at some other dealer is likely to be a tiny fraction of what you paid.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Thanks denverappraiser-- defiantly aware of that... what I meant is get the replacement and THEN trade it, not the damaged one.

If Jared were to replace the stone, that stone would be under warrantee again, and heaven forbid anything happens to the replacement stone this whole thing would happen again. Its a vicious cycle.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
devthinksnpink|1472481640|4071151 said:
Thanks denverappraiser-- defiantly aware of that... what I meant is get the replacement and THEN trade it, not the damaged one.
That's better, but it's still an issue. The trade-in value of a used mounting at a 3rd party jeweler is usually pretty low, regardless of cost. The trade-in value of a diamond will vary with the details but it's generally way below what Jared's is charging. Half or less is common. Sometimes it's quite a bit less. If your plan is an immediate trade somewhere else, talk to the jeweler you're planning on selling it to and make sure they're on board with what you have in mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results