shape
carat
color
clarity

Dad''s U.S. Marines ring - help please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 1:48:08 PM
Author: Wink
Date: 8/4/2008 11:23:26 PM

Author: strmrdr

I would contact Wink and see if he knows of someone that can restore it.

Thank you Storm. I did not see this thread earlier but Storm sent me an email to let me know it was here, as a Vietnam veteran I can appreciate both your desire to refurbish the ring and the fact that your father ''had issues''. When we came back they basically turned us loose, no counseling or other assistance, even for those of us who stayed in for a few more years.

There are a few things that can be done. Of course replacing the stone that is missing with a large diamond in not usually practical, and it is unlikely that is what he had but I can not know that for sure. A buff top stone with a Marine Corps emblem is one solution as has been suggested. Sizing the ring should not be a problem, depending on what metal was used for the ring. Back then most of the rings did have 10kt gold or even 14kt gold, and if so then sizing will not be a problem.

Refurbishing will NOT take away the worn look, just polish it up and make it shiny. When a ring is refurbished it is not normally going to restore the crisp look of a new ring, it would be easier to make a new ring to actually accomplish that, so don''t worry that you will destroy the look of a well worn ring.

You may well be able to get this done locally, any jeweler over the age of 50 should jump at the chance to help you, even if they were not old enough to be in the war, they are old enough to remember the times and the stresses that this nation went through.

If you do not have a local jeweler willing to step up to the plate, there are many of us here on PriceScope who would be honored to assist.

Wink

I don''t mean to hijack this thread, but Wink I am so proud of you for being a Vietnam vet. Like I posted in this thread, I lost many of my high school friends in that blasted war. And yes, the friends I have today that survived did mention they were turned loose with no counseling, no nothing.

Linda

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Wink!

I have been so busy with life that this is being put on hold for a bit. I relocated and have been looking for a job - and I found one! Yay! So now I am trying to find a house to rent that will accepts three dogs! Ugh. Then I have to prep my own house to be rented out...change is never easy, is it?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add my vote for some kind of synthetic cabouchon stone.

Many, many years ago I bought (second hand) a mens solid yellow gold college ring which said 'Oxford University' on it. I think I'd been offered my place at Oxford then & although it wouldn't fit me in a million years, I had to have it.

It's in the UK, so I can't take photo, but this has some kind of transparent blue cabouchon stone set in it, which looks really pretty.

It's a lovely idea to get the ring repolished & cleaned up, with a new stone set in it. I hope you'll update the thread when you get round to it!

x x x

*ETA* I was trying to find a company that might be able to help.. but I did come across this link to the original photos of the flag-raising, which the picture on the ring shank was taken from.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a wonderful piece to have from your dad!
I have my ex boyfriends airforce ring and it has a blue stone in it. It is a clear blue, and if it would help you I can take a picture of it. It is not from the same time (from 1990 or so), but it looks similar.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 12:22:30 AM
Author: Diamond*Dana
This is such a wonderful piece to have from your dad!

I have my ex boyfriends airforce ring and it has a blue stone in it. It is a clear blue, and if it would help you I can take a picture of it. It is not from the same time (from 1990 or so), but it looks similar.
Yes, please, that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results