shape
carat
color
clarity

Dad''s U.S. Marines ring - help please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
So, my dad is a Vietnam Vet and fought in the Marines. He gave me his ring when I was in the 6th grade. It was missing a stone but I loved it. I love my father very much. Anyhoo, he''s had some issues as I was growing up, parents got divorced, and I didn''t see him for YEARS...about 15 years to be exact. I finally found him about 3 years ago and I am so happy I did.

We were talking a week or so ago and I asked him if he remembered giving me his Marines ring and he said he didn''t, so when I visited him last week I brought it with me and showed him. He remembered the ring and tried it on. It only fit on his pinky now (he''s a big guy).

So, I was thinking that I would try to do something with it. The stone is missing (his birthstone is diamond but I can''t buy one THAT big) but he mentioned it had Lapis in it or something. I don''t know who makes it and he doesn''t remember either. I just recently bought a college class ring and they have a lifetime policy...

So, I was wondering...what would you do? Should I just replace the stone and give it to him that way? Should I try to find the company that made it - seems impossible - and see if they can "refurbish" the ring to make the details sharper? If you''ll notice, the pic on the right side is worn and I can''t see a detailed pic. The metal is cut into on the band and where the stone would be set.

I''m also thinking - do I want to refurbish (I know there is a better word for it but I can''t think of it right now) it and take away the worn look of it? I mean, it''s been through a lot...maybe that''s what makes it special. I probably should ask my dad what he prefers...which I will do later, but wanted to get some feedback.

Does anyone know someone with a similar ring or been in this situation?

Please help! Thanks.

Dad ring L side-poster.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Front...

Dad ring front-poster.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Right side...

Dad ring side R-poster.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
and back...

Dad ring back-poster.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a great thing to have from your father! I agree with your hesitation about having the signs of age and experience polished away. I would have the stone replaced if you can figure out what it was, and possibly have it resized to fit whatever finger on whoever''s hand will be wearing it, whether you or your Dad. Other than that I would leave it as it is. It seems like a project that any jeweler would be happy to help you with, especially if you find a warmhearted and patriotic one.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the pp - I''d keep it the way it is, and put a stone in it that looks aged to begin with. Lapis does look aged, turquoise is similar. The age of it is really what makes it special!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what the stone would have looked like.

2013_328536050.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would contact Wink and see if he knows of someone that can restore it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a very special ring that is and what a wonderful idea, to have a stone put back in the ring for your dad.

The Vietnam War brings back many memories for me. I lost quite a few high school classmates and close friends in that war. I am so happy that your dad arrived home safely.

Linda

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 10:26:27 PM
Author: glitterata
What a great thing to have from your father! I agree with your hesitation about having the signs of age and experience polished away. I would have the stone replaced if you can figure out what it was, and possibly have it resized to fit whatever finger on whoever's hand will be wearing it, whether you or your Dad. Other than that I would leave it as it is. It seems like a project that any jeweler would be happy to help you with, especially if you find a warmhearted and patriotic one.
glitterata,
Thank you for your input! Fortunately (or unfortunately) the ring fits my finger - I have big fingers, so sizing isn't a problem. Yeah, I think I am leaning towards replacing the stone only.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 11:02:01 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I agree with the pp - I'd keep it the way it is, and put a stone in it that looks aged to begin with. Lapis does look aged, turquoise is similar. The age of it is really what makes it special!
MonkeyPie,
Thanks for the ideas! Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea, a stone that looks aged. I think turquoise would be too light but I am leaning towards lapis. I was also thinking some kind of sapphire or a dark navy blue topaz like London Topaz? Not sure.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 11:21:47 PM
Author: strmrdr
This is what the stone would have looked like.
Really? Something flush to the setting and not domed or faceted?
So maybe it had a lapis in it with that insignia. He didn''t mention the insignia on the stone though - but he doesn''t remember lots either
2.gif
. Thanks for the visual.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 11:23:26 PM
strmrdr,
That's a good idea. I think I will call or email him tomorrow to discuss the options.

What do you think strmrdr, would you have it restored (thank you for the correct word) or would you keep it in its current condition but replace the stone?

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 11:32:01 PM
Author: Linda W
What a very special ring that is and what a wonderful idea, to have a stone put back in the ring for your dad.

The Vietnam War brings back many memories for me. I lost quite a few high school classmates and close friends in that war. I am so happy that your dad arrived home safely.

Linda
Linda W,
Thanks for responding. I'm sorry to hear that you lost so many close friends and classmates. My father went in about 8 years before I was born and I thank my lucky stars that he survived. He received so many metals of honor. With the way he said he fought, I am surprised he survived and lived to tell the tale. I wouldn't have been born - scary thought. He has problems with dreams/nightmares and things like that. He won't really tell me anything about the war except that it was horrible and never wants to talk about it. I don't blame him. He's been wanting to write a book about his life, so I bought him a digital recorder for that purpose...he said he led a very wild life - I don't know if I will ever read about it since he refuses to start talking into the darn thing!
7.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Elegant,
What a great gift from your father!An experianced jeweler can make this ring look great again...and i dont foresee a problem with finding a stone to fit...companies like stuller would most likely have a cab cut to fit this ring...I personally think that a syn cab cut sapphire or ruby would have a bright and patreotic feel...and be much more durable then lapis,turquiose,or onxy.Look on the inside of the shank for a manufactor name or mark.Wear it in good heath.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 12:19:03 AM
Author: Elegant
Date: 8/4/2008 11:32:01 PM

Author: Linda W

Linda

Linda W,

Thanks for responding. I''m sorry to hear that you lost so many close friends and classmates. My father went in about 8 years before I was born and I thank my lucky stars that he survived. He received so many metals of honor. With the way he said he fought, I am surprised he survived and lived to tell the tale. I wouldn''t have been born - scary thought. He has problems with dreams/nightmares and things like that. He won''t really tell me anything about the war except that it was horrible and never wants to talk about it. I don''t blame him. He''s been wanting to write a book about his life, so I bought him a digital recorder for that purpose...he said he led a very wild life - I don''t know if I will ever read about it since he refuses to start talking into the darn thing!
7.gif

Elegant: The group of friends DH and I have, one of the men has nightmares also. He has gone to counseling in the past, but they always seem to return. He doesn''t talk about the war much at all. He went in, right after we graduated high school. He also, was one of the lucky ones who did return. It was a horrible, horrible war. I am so glad your dad has his ring and you are having a stone replaced for him. You are a wonderful daughter.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 12:30:23 AM
Author: jewelerman
Elegant,

What a great gift from your father!An experianced jeweler can make this ring look great again...and i dont foresee a problem with finding a stone to fit...companies like stuller would most likely have a cab cut to fit this ring...I personally think that a syn cab cut sapphire or ruby would have a bright and patreotic feel...and be much more durable then lapis,turquiose,or onxy.Look on the inside of the shank for a manufactor name or mark.Wear it in good heath.
Thanks for the input jewelerman,
Yes, a syn cab cut sapphire or ruby would look good.
I tried to take a look inside the ring but have been unable to read the stamp on the inside - so I took a couple of macro pics...maybe someone can help decipher?

IMG_0762-poster.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
another...

IMG_0770-poster.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, you have to tile the screen with this one!

IMG_0774-poster.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Elegant, part of the charm and history of that ring is in the wear and tear it''s seen. I wouldn''t re etch any of it. Maybe a good cleaning up and polishing, but not re etching the design per se, does that make sense? Also, I dont think that ring had an opaque stone in it, which is what Lapis is? More than likely, it was similar to college ring stones and probably some blue stone or synthetic. Why dont you call the Marines and ask them? I''m sure they have someone who would know who could replace that stone with whatever it originally had in it. I''m sure they keep records of ring styles, etc. over the years, at least you''d think so, wouldn''t you?

Also, as an afterthought...Are you sure he''d want this reminder around all the time? I mean, if it represents bad memories he might not cherish it in the same way you do. Just something you might want to discuss with him before putting in the effort to spruce it up, you know?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think Elegant plans to wear this ring herself, not return it to her father. Right, Elegant?

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
surfgirl - Yes, definitely, I agree with you 100% that the charm and history of that ring is in the wear and tear it''s seen, that''s why I wasn''t too sure what I wanted to do. It is bent too and has lots of scratches that you can see in the pics. And I agree, lapis probably wasn''t what was in there. I actually looked up what I could on the web and found the attached pic...it has a red cabochon stone with the emblem that strmrdr mentioned. The sides are of the same pic but different - it is a Vet ring. And thank you, yes, I will call the Marines to see if they can help me out.

And yes, glitterata is right on the dot, I plan on wearing the ring.

Funny you mentioned that though surfgirl because I had that same discussion with my dad. After he looked at it he asked me if I was going to keep it - I said yes, but asked him if he wanted it. He said only if I was going to get rid of it - and I was like - hello...I''ve kept it for 20 years, it isn''t going anywhere. And I told him that I had planned to restore it for him to give it back to him, and if I did would he wear it, and he said probably not - too many memories - which made me sad.

I told him that it was very special to me and it meant a lot for me to keep it.

But, after seeing the attached ring, it is made of solid brass, I might buy that for him so he can tuck it away...maybe not so many bad memories, but pride that he is a Vet.

585_pic_1.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 1:14:58 AM

Elegant,

I tried to take a look inside the ring but have been unable to read the stamp on the inside - so I took a couple of macro pics...maybe someone can help decipher?
go to a jeweler and ask them to loupe the stamp and write it down for us...we are getting closer to answers!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 3:01:04 PM
Date: 8/5/2008 1:14:58 AM

Elegant,

go to a jeweler and ask them to loupe the stamp and write it down for us...we are getting closer to answers!
Ooooohhhhhhh......good idea.....I will go tomorrow morning! Thanks!
9.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Well, just spoke to my dad today about his rank and all sorts of details, but what I found most interesting and what makes the ring more special, is that he wore it throughout his service in the war. He said that it was something you either did or didn''t buy as you went into the service, and many people got the rings. He said that ring has been through hell and back and has been through some wild experiences.

I thought he bought the ring AFTER he came back in 1968.

So, I just wanted to share a tiny piece of info with those of you who care...
1.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, as the mother of a Marine, I know how sentimental that ring is! JMHO, but I would not have it refurbished. I would try to find out the manufacturer to see if they are still around and have them repair it.

Please thank your father for his service!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
this is not about the ring you have but somewhat related. i remember the ring tom selleck wore for his magnum pi series. his two buddies also wore the same rings. i believe that was vietnam era but navy. those rings were made a part of the story. i don't think they had a stone but were all metal with some cross type insignia on top. i will have to check that out. i hope you get the info you are seeking and the restoration done so it is wearable for you.

eta: well, i checked it out. as the story went magnum and his buddies had the rings made to commemorate their tour of duty. the cross on the top is a french symbol. i believe the cross of lorraine. so nothing to help you in any way. sorry!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 6:41:18 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
Ok, as the mother of a Marine, I know how sentimental that ring is! JMHO, but I would not have it refurbished. I would try to find out the manufacturer to see if they are still around and have them repair it.

Please thank your father for his service!
I don''t think I will have it restored - just cleaned up, polished maybe, and have a stone mounted in it - trying to make it as authentic as the day he bought it. I am searching for the manufacturer currently and will update as soon as I can. I will thank him for you...that is very sweet of you to say!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 6:54:41 PM
Author: crown1
this is not about the ring you have but somewhat related. i remember the ring tom selleck wore for his magnum pi series. his two buddies also wore the same rings. i believe that was vietnam era but navy. those rings were made a part of the story. i don''t think they had a stone but were all metal with some cross type insignia on top. i will have to check that out. i hope you get the info you are seeking and the restoration done so it is wearable for you.

eta: well, i checked it out. as the story went magnum and his buddies had the rings made to commemorate their tour of duty. the cross on the top is a french symbol. i believe the cross of lorraine. so nothing to help you in any way. sorry!
Yeah, I used to watch Magnum P.I. all of the time. And I do remember that huge ring on his finger. Thanks for the follow up!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/4/2008 11:23:26 PM
Thank you Storm. I did not see this thread earlier but Storm sent me an email to let me know it was here, as a Vietnam veteran I can appreciate both your desire to refurbish the ring and the fact that your father "had issues". When we came back they basically turned us loose, no counseling or other assistance, even for those of us who stayed in for a few more years.

There are a few things that can be done. Of course replacing the stone that is missing with a large diamond in not usually practical, and it is unlikely that is what he had but I can not know that for sure. A buff top stone with a Marine Corps emblem is one solution as has been suggested. Sizing the ring should not be a problem, depending on what metal was used for the ring. Back then most of the rings did have 10kt gold or even 14kt gold, and if so then sizing will not be a problem.

Refurbishing will NOT take away the worn look, just polish it up and make it shiny. When a ring is refurbished it is not normally going to restore the crisp look of a new ring, it would be easier to make a new ring to actually accomplish that, so don''t worry that you will destroy the look of a well worn ring.

You may well be able to get this done locally, any jeweler over the age of 50 should jump at the chance to help you, even if they were not old enough to be in the war, they are old enough to remember the times and the stresses that this nation went through.

If you do not have a local jeweler willing to step up to the plate, there are many of us here on PriceScope who would be honored to assist.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results