shape
carat
color
clarity

Cutlets vs Windows

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So, I came across this on Instagram today and I was just curious hear what others thought...
the diamond is described as having a “cute already open cutlet”, but it’s so big and transparent, I was wondering what makes this a cutlet and not a window? Thanks for sharing your knowledge :geek:
B0CE3DBF-6AE8-45F0-A265-455961D67E8E.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel, I think the term '"window" is used more for colored stones.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be a nitpick but cutlets are for chicken and culets are for diamonds ;-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An open culet is as close to a window as you get in diamonds.
I am not a fan of one that huge.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prefer an open culet that creates the kozibe effect in OECs/OMC

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's a big culet for sure. I like them personally, but this one is on the larger side. I think it would close up a bit once set perhaps. My old cut stones tend to do that.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is an interesting look, for sure. It looks as though the posting does, indeed, say "Cutlet" - this might give you pause as you research the expertise of the seller. :think:

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
Agree...I hope that is a typo in the ad, or I might look elsewhere ;-)

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Not to be a nitpick but cutlets are for chicken and culets are for diamonds ;-)
Lol! I thought the spelling seemed off, but I was posting from my mobile on my lunch and too lazy to double check :confused2:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Prefer an open culet that creates the kozibe effect in OECs/OMC
That was why it struck me as more of a window than a culet- it was such a large, transparent area.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was why it struck me as more of a window than a culet- it was such a large, transparent area.

Is it a pretty shallow diamond?

To create the Kozibe effect wouldn’t the diamond need to be a bit deeper higher crown? Don’t quote me I haven’t :confused2:brushed up on my antique diamond knowledge in a very long time lolo_O

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I entered the trade in the early 70's, most diamonds had a culet to protect the pavilion of the diamond while in the parcel paper with other diamonds. As values and cutting quality have improved in the decades that I have been in the business, culets have become smaller to non existent, referred to as None on a GIA report and Pointed on an AGS report. Most diamonds other than melee are now in individual stone papers.

Although called a culet, it is in fact a window. In the not too distant past, some diamonds were cut in small flat wafers and used as windows in scientific instruments. I do not know if they are still used as such, as my interest is in diamonds that sparkle.

Wink

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Call that a culet & the Atlantic a pond...

@Wink There are ever more diamonds along beamlines & even more dreams about what to make of them; I suspect these are synthetics - but do not know.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is an interesting look, for sure. It looks as though the posting does, indeed, say "Cutlet" - this might give you pause as you research the expertise of the seller. :think:

In regards to the seller mentioned in this thread, I've worked with him (as have several other PSers) and I think the general consensus is that he's got the necessary expertise and then some.

Speaking generally of typos, I've looked down my nose at the misspellings and grammar of others, only to eat humble pie when I realized that English is sometimes a second, third, or even fourth+ language for some, and I would do well to focus more on the content of what's being written or spoken.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In regards to the seller mentioned in this thread, I've worked with him (as have several other PSers) and I think the general consensus is that he's got the necessary expertise and then some.

Speaking generally of typos, I've looked down my nose at the misspellings and grammar of others, only to eat humble pie when I realized that English is sometimes a second, third, or even fourth+ language for some, and I would do well to focus more on the content of what's being written or spoken.

You and I are in complete agreement. I appreciate the manner in which you presented your response. Glad to hear the seller is a recognized expert by many PSers.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually what I typed about culets and cutlets is exactly what I say in my head when writing the word culet but prior to that everything was chicken :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results