shape
carat
color
clarity

cut grade affected by brillianteering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda74

Rough_Rock
What does this mean on a GIA report?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means it has digging or painting that affects face up appearance.
The huge debate comes in whether its a bad or good affect and at what point the line is drawn between the two.
Frankly other than the very small amount that is present in all diamonds I don't want either painting nor digging in one I buy.
Some will strongly disagree with that and thats kewl too but its a line I draw for myself.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To the best of my knowledge GIA do not look at diamonds appearance and sparkle. (although girdle thickness is assessed by eyeballs)
They take the scanner output and assess the brillianteering (painting or digging) based on the numbers.

In my opinion this is wrong. Some times painting can be a benefit.
The other sad thing is these rules seem to be secret rules. And that is bad.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Painting and digging really should not have an effect on the "cut grade". How the diamond performs is of huge importance. Measuring this performance is what constitutes the beauty aspect. Any manner of traditional, accepted faceting to certain parameters can be graded seaparately, but it does not bear on the beauty aspect. EGL-USA calls the beauty aspect the diamond''s DNA and we call it the diamond''s Light Behavior Index. We look at Durability, Finish and Size on a different grading scale.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/6/2007 1:37:26 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
To the best of my knowledge GIA do not look at diamonds appearance and sparkle. (although girdle thickness is assessed by eyeballs)
They take the scanner output and assess the brillianteering (painting or digging) based on the numbers.

The GIA paper on brillianteering seemed to suggest they eyeball the girdle profile to estimate the level of painting/digging, but that was 2 years ago.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2007 12:08:10 PM
Author: stebbo

Date: 10/6/2007 1:37:26 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
The GIA paper on brillianteering seemed to suggest they eyeball the girdle profile to estimate the level of painting/digging, but that was 2 years ago.

That was the first impression we received too Stebbo, but it was clarified at JCK that this was a guideline for GGs away from the lab. GIA GTL uses scanner data to make the determination.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Linda - this article is somewhat technical, but it''s an overview of how different degrees of painting and digging may affect diamonds with top cut precision (we see a lot of fine makes on PS).

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

In general, digging is not good. Painting is not an easy topic, as some diamond makes are negatively affected by X level, others are not impacted at all and yet others might be helped.

PS: WHFSR - not yet, but I still aim to.
1.gif

Linda74

Rough_Rock
I guess I will just have to see this stone, as that seems to be the only negative or maybe it is a positive?, everything else in the GIA report looks good...and it gets to a point where it is all just too technical for my brain.....I will have it put next to a stone without brillianteering and see if we notice a difference.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 9:50:02 AM
Author: Linda74
I guess I will just have to see this stone, as that seems to be the only negative or maybe it is a positive?, everything else in the GIA report looks good...and it gets to a point where it is all just too technical for my brain.....I will have it put next to a stone without brillianteering and see if we notice a difference.
great idea! hopefully the stones will be of the same cut quality otherwise so you can get a real head to head comparison.
let us know how it goes!

dps777

Shiny_Rock
Linda- what happened to the other stone you had created a post on...re: clouds?

Linda74

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash looked at the stone and said it was indeed cloudy throughout.

dps777

Shiny_Rock
That''s too bad. I hope you find one soon.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Saw some stones around 34.5C 41.2Pav today with GIA certs. Some were not painted and looked terible, but rated EX EX EX. One looked great but seemed to have been downgraded to VG because it was painted. It looked great. So there is painting and there is painting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results