carat
color
clarity

Cut cornered square diamond rose gold ring

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all

I spent a very long time searching for a fancy cut diamond that would fit my extensive list of criteria :lol:

I wanted something square or rectangular with a very distinctive and defined symmetrical facet pattern, with contrast evenly distributed across the stone. I wanted excellent light performance with a leaning towards maximising the diamonds' colored fire. I also wanted the stone to face up a good size for its carat weight, without sacrificing anything in light performance. I was determined to ensure that the stone would have no nasty surprises when viewed in less favourable lighting - tilt windows, dull areas etc. I also wanted a diamond that wouldn't have its performance impaired the minute it attracted the lightest amount of dust or finger grease, as I wanted it to be practical to wear without having to clean it daily. Most jewellers I spoke to advised me that this combination of attributes was unlikely to be found in a fancy cut, :wall: but I was convinced that my perfect diamond was out there somewhere......

Along the way I looked at many loose fancy cut diamonds in person, and purchased and returned a couple as well. Amongst the diamonds that came close were: a high performing asscher which was beautiful apart from a thin grey "window frame" of leakage under the table visible in very low lighting, a step cushion with a stunning facet pattern and lovely fire but leakage under the table as soon as it was titled even slightly off axis, and a couple of criss-cut type designs with beautiful facet patterns but obvious light leakage under the table and insufficient fire. I toyed with the idea of an AVC, but I wanted something a little more scintillation.

I eventually realised that for minumum light leakage a shape with square rather than elongated proportions was going to work best. I also realised that some kind of brilliant cut would address my light performance and spread concerns as well as my desire to have a diamond that would not need daily cleaning to still look good.

As the diamond was for a right hand ring, I didnt want anything too large and showy, but it still needed to be large enough to be able to appreciate the facet pattern and the colored light return.

So eventually after a long search and a few of false starts along the way I found this unbranded "ideal hearts & arrows" square radiant diamond. It is the same design as the "princess of hearts" brand. It is GIA certified but there is no inscription. I found it on the B2Cjewels website.

Vendor pic:

9219555.jpg

ASET

20190911_101130.jpg

In its box:

20190911_100712.jpg

In partial sunlight in my garden:

20190911_102633.jpg

20190913_102310a.jpg

20190911_202652.jpg

Here are the links to my previous posts about the loose diamond search and then the setting design:

And finally - in its 18k rose gold split shank setting with platinum head and double prongs:

20191113_103324 (2).jpg
20191113_105502.jpg
20191113_102818 (2).jpg
20191113_101953.jpg 20191113_103447.jpg
20191113_103043.jpg
20191113_152832.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this is just gorgeous! I have never seen a stone cut like this before - what a firecracker!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's perfect!! The diamond is stunning. Well done!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it’s lovely.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s dang pretty-
what beautiful faceting!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
What a cool stone, and such a sparkler!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so uniquely beautiful! And you chose the perfect setting to complement her shape. I love the fiery colors!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring and the stone is a sparklebomb!

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
oh mine mine!!! Love at the blingness!!! You did well, very well!!!
Love how the settings sit on your finger. Great bling.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love all the pastels it is throwing off in the video!

Thanks! :) It really has the best colored light return of any diamond I have ever owned. I can;t stop looking at it :kiss2: I will try and upload a video of the finished ring soon

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! I had never seen that cut when I bought my round, or I would have seriously considered one. It’s a beautiful stone and setting.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! I had never seen that cut when I bought my round, or I would have seriously considered one. It’s a beautiful stone and setting.

Thanks :) I love that it has a a distinctive 8 pointed star under the table. At some angles the star lights up with different colors and I cant stop looking at it :kiss2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Your homework and patience paid off. It's gorgeous!

cheers--Sharon

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore everything about this ring! I'm researching a square/cushion diamond for a RHR at the moment, and your has provided me with so much inspiration! Loving the rose gold too :kiss2::kiss2:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I adore everything about this ring! I'm researching a square/cushion diamond for a RHR at the moment, and your has provided me with so much inspiration! Loving the rose gold too :kiss2::kiss2:

I can highly recommend this kind of ideal cut square diamond. You dont see many of them around. I know that Jonathan from August Vintage used to be able to source them so it could be worth contacting him and maybe Goodoldgold too.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Omg wow your ring is incredible! And the sparkle! Enjoy it

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely fireball!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results