shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting My Only Option?

utfanzt

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time poster so please forgive me if I'm missing the best place to search for these items.

I am planning to get engaged soon (fingers crossed), but have had the hardest time finding the engagement ring that I know my girlfriend will love. I know my girlfriend wants a princess cut diamond with a lighter-tinted rose gold. She wants a dainty (2mm) simple ring, basically a solitaire setting, but likes the look of round channel set diamonds halfway around the band. No three stone look, no halo, just a plain V extending from a 2mm round ring with round channel set diamonds. This should be easy to find, right?

Evidently it's not. I've searched this forum, recommended online jewelers, local jewelers, and everywhere else I can think to look and haven't been able to find the setting I picture in my mind. Does such a ring exist or am I stuck going the custom route?

TL;DR - I'm looking for an engagement ring with these specifications:
1. Light tint rose gold;
2. 2 mm band;
3. round channel set diamonds halfway around the band (I'm guessing approximately .25ctw);
4. simple round shape almost like a solitaire with a four prong V extending from the ring to hold the diamond like this (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-comfort-fit-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-41238).

The ring would look almost like this (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/14k-white-gold-thin-channel-set-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-19) except 2mm wide (instead of 2.5mm) in rose gold and without the "wings" up the side of the center diamond.

Am I missing something here? Is it not possible to have round diamonds in a 2mm channel cut ring, or to have the V mount without the "wings" on a princess cut diamond for some reason? And if it is possible, does anyone know where to look? I'm not against an online retailer, although I would prefer not to have to go the custom route without a return option since I'd really like to be able to judge the color of the rose gold in person due to the varying composition of the alloys making rose gold.

One last question, I've heard conflicting information on whether a rose gold ring needs the prongs to be made of a white medal (white gold, platinum or something else). Some have said having rose gold prongs will make a colorless stone show more of a hue and others have said that it won't make a difference. Can anyone help me out with this?

If it makes a difference, my girlfriend is a 5.25 ring size.

Thanks for all your help! I'm sure I'll be back asking for information on specific princess cut stones to fill the center, but until I have an idea how much the ring will cost, I'm not sure how much I can budget to the diamond!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those wings wings are what make that setting a cathedral setting. So you want the setting without the cathedral sides.

It could be hard to find a channel set that is 2mm because channel set requires more metal on the sides to hold the stones
in. There is probably one out there somewhere though.

Edit...would she be willing to do bead set that can sort of look like channel. It will be easier to find that in a 2mm.
Look at the shank on this setting. It is 2mm. (I'm not suggesting the ring, just trying to get your thoughts on the bead set).

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/halo-diamond-engagement-ring-18k-white-gold_33362?elem=img&track=product

VictoriaW

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not finding any thin channel set but will post what I find that is similar.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/benchmark-small-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-4560.htm

Edit...this is a true channel set. It's 2.3mm wide and it's basket has diamonds on it so probably too much going on. Also expensive
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ritani-1rz3447-diamond-engagement-ring-3974.htm

This is just FYI...this wedding band is 2.2mm wide channel set and you can see how thin it is.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/245553779/thin-channel-set-diamond-white-gold-band?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=thin%20channel%20set%20engagement%20ring&ref=sr_gallery_8

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VictoriaW made a good find with that Ritani!

The diamond will reflect what's around it. If it were me and I wanted rose gold prongs I would get them however, most people
do use white gold/platinum for prongs with yellow gold/rose gold.

Here is a picture with all rose gold including prongs.

And you've probably already seen rose with white prongs.

all_rose_gold.png

pink_with_white.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritani's pink gold is a very pretty, soft color (not as "rose" as in the Whiteflash pics, as they appear on my screen). But if you'd like a less expensive option, see what you think of Brilliant Earth's Petite Channel Set ring -- 2.3 mm wide, but still dainty; priced at $1025:
http://www.brilliantearth.com/Petite-Channel-Set-Round-Diamond-Ring-Rose-Gold-BE1CD15R25-1152816/

Pic of matching wedding band, in white gold:

If you think it's a possibility, we can try to find another source; think Brilliant Earth will not sell just the setting, will want you to buy a complete ring. Which may be fine, but I've never scoped out their diamonds section.

brilliantearth_petitechannel_weddingband.jpg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
On their website, under 'celebration rings'', Tiffany has channel set bands that are 2 mm in width. So I would say that what you want is doable in that respect. However, I don't know of any jewellers to suggest to make your ring. Sorry!
Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin Diamonds offers a Sholdt non-cathedral e-ring with channel set diamonds in 14K rose gold for $1710, the 18K version is $1970.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/clara-sholdt-14k-rose-gold-5348r14

Also take a look at BGD's own channel pavé Juno, priced at $1475 (18K rose gold -- no mention on the page of a 14K rose gold option, but it may be possible). I know you want to avoid a cathedral setting, but the Juno seems to have (you'll want to ask for straight-on profile photo) a modest/less pronounced cathedral than most cathedral e-rings & altho' the band is wider than you'd deem ideal, it tapers in toward the center stone. A nice bonus with the Juno: the band would be set with BGD's well-cut Signature Hearts & Arrows meleé, more impressive and sparkly than the usual little diamonds.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/juno-pave-18k-rose-gold-5979r18

Do ask BGD for truly realistic photos showing rings made with whatever rose gold alloy they would use for your order; most pics posted here on PS suggest that the rose gold is less intense than what the BGD web site's "glamour shots" depict.

utfanzt

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions. Here are my thoughts on the rings:

Tyty - You are correct, I'm looking for something without the cathedral sides. I couldn't remember what the "wings" were called. Very helpful. I'm not quite as big a fan of bead set because with the band so thin, it seemed like the beads stood out a little more to me, but I may be open to it if I have to go that route. Unfortunately, the blue nile link to the particular ring wasn't working for some reason. It only took me to the main Blue Nile page.

I've noticed that many of these rings use pave for the side diamonds. Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that all of the pave diamonds would stick up a little from the ring, leaving the edge a bit rough, whereas the channel set would leave a flush ring edge. My girlfriend is a nurse and doesn't need to have a rough edge for a variety of reasons, which is why I prefer channel set for her. Are there pave rings that have this smooth edge similar to a channel setting? Some of the pictures like the BGD Clara or the two WF rings linked above seem to leave a flat edge, but it's hard to tell without seeing them in person. Basically if you run your finger along the top, would the ring feel smooth or would it leave an edge that could catch on very fine threads or scratch hours old newborn babies?

I would definitely like the diamond to appear white face up so it seems like having white gold or platinum prongs is the way to go.

Victoria - Thanks for the suggestion but I'm really looking for something a little more simple without the basket or elevation of the diamond significantly above the ring.

Molly - I think the Brilliant Earth ring is the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for. Round channel set diamonds, in 14k rose gold with simple V prongs. I actually haven't heard of Brilliant Earth and will have to research their site more thoroughly tomorrow. I assume they are reputable if they are getting recommendations on here.

Thank you all again. This forum is fantastic for helping the uneducated, but learning, like me. I sincerely appreciate all of your assistance!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Well done bead set pave will feel pretty smooth - honestly the bigger risk for scratching is going to be with the prongs/girdle of the center stone. And the 4 prong style you are looking at is going to be tough to wear under gloves.

How about a channel-set wedding band that she can wear to work under gloves, and then whatever she really wants for the engagement ring (which I am getting the impression does not necessarily mean channel set - that seems like your idea, not hers?)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me clarify that, because I know virtually nothing about Brilliant Earth, I wasn't actually endorsing them (I found that ring via a Google search for non-cathedral, channel set rings/mountings for a princess cut center stone). I just did a basic search, via Google, of the PS web site re Brilliant Earth that indicates BE is reputable, but their diamond prices are typically higher than the very same stone, or comparable ones, from other trusted online vendors. Now that I've done some random searches for princess cut stones on BE's web site, I'd say it seems they have few, if any, princess stones "in house"; what was showing up for me was all virtual inventory -- stones had GIA reports, but there were no photos of the actual stones or any other useful info like ASETs or Sarin images. So there doesn't seem to be any advantage to making BE a top shopping choice. But perhaps others here have first-hand experiences to share with you.

Odd as it seems to me, Stuller doesn't appear to offer any channel set mountings/semi-mount that are not cathedral. But I've found a couple of other settings from
* Unique Settings
http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/26594?from_style=1
* Overnight Mountings (price shown is the wholesale price; like Stuller and Unique Settings, Overnight Mountings sells only to those in the jewelry trade, not us consumers)
http://www.overnightmountings.com/engagement-rings/single-row/channel-set/engagement-rings-single-row-channel-set-50233.html
Note that the Overnight Mountings specifically offers the option of purchasing the mounting without diamonds in the channel (altho' that may be an option with Unique Settings as well). Which means the vendor from whom you purchase the center stone could set better quality diamonds in the channel. But the downside to these possibilities is who knows what their rose/pink alloys look like?

Might your future wife be amenable to something other than a princess diamond as the center stone? They are more prone to accidental chipping, and now that you've told us about her work, I share FightGravity's special concern re a princess e-ring for a neonatal nurse who wants to wear her e-ring, not just a wedding band, while working at the hospital.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I am not sure a 2mm gold ring with pave stones will be very durable, esp since your girlfriend is a nurse and she will be wearing gloves. When gold is scratched or dinged, it actually wears away and metal is lost. You can get her a 2mm channel set ring, but I do not think she will be able to wear it under gloves. Most nurses I know just wear simple but sturdy bands. I have some vintage gold rings that were pretty dainty to start and they are worn razor thin, to the point that it's not really safe to wear them.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My only help is to make sure she has tried the gold colour on her skin.

Rose or pink gold aren't for all skin colours, regardless of how much the person loves the metal, it might be wrong against their skin!

I love rose gold! I hope it suits her!

utfanzt

Rough_Rock
Gravity, Molly and Laila - Thanks for the input. She was very clear that she wants a princess cut. I even hinted that she should consider round because, to me, it's all about the fire and I know that round generally has more of that; however, she shot that idea down pretty quickly. I am concerned about the chipping, but I also know she's pretty careful with her jewelry. And for those wondering, she stated she wanted the channel set e-ring. I do think she will end up just wearing a band to work under her gloves, as she's said many other nurses do on her unit, but would like to get the matching channel set on both the e-ring and the wedding band.

As for going larger than 2mm, I hadn't thought about the gold chipping away. That will definitely make me consider something a little larger (maybe 2.3-2.5 mm), but I know she wants to keep the ring a rose gold. It seems the lighter colored rose golds are generally 14k, so maybe that will give the rings a little more strength than they would normally have if it was 18k gold.

Also, the Overnight and UniqueSettings both look like they could be very good options along with the BE option posted earlier. I'll have to start making some phone calls to check on pricing, the availability to view and return the rose gold, if needed, etc.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I would love to hear them.

I think I'll make another post about the center stone, but I'm thinking I would like to find something between 1.1 and 1.3 carats. I assume these rings shouldn't have a problem accommodating such a stone?

Thanks again, all. It sure would be nice to have better jewelry stores in my hometown to be able to see some of these things in person. I'm headed to Nashville today for a conference. Maybe I can find a place there to view some of these in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results