shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring & AUSFTA

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Re: Custom Ring & AUSFTA

You sure can! I had a hold put on my package so they wouldn't deliver it and I went to pick it up. If the guy who is doing the GST payments can't sort it out for you, he will be able to put you through to someone who can. :)

skeeeo

Rough_Rock

I've just received my tracking number and called Fedex to tell them to note that the package is customs duty free and to hold the parcel once it hits Alexandria in Sydney so that I can pickup.

Hopefully all goes smoothly and I only have to pay the GST. The customer service rep was neither helpful or unhelpful, he simply typed into the system my requests.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

I just realised that I never updated my situation on this thread :oops:

Last April I submitted my refund paperwork to Customs even though they claimed I wasn't eligible. We received a refund relatively promptly. I don't think they even called us to clarify anything. Thus, my advice is just to follow AJ's advice and wait for the money to return to your account :appl:

Supers

Shiny_Rock

Yes, I filed a claim in December and was paid in January - no problems.
Have just filed another claim this week, and they have been great with contacting me to get additional info (I didn't have some info on my forms as Fedex did not supply the import declaration)

leshi19

Rough_Rock

Thank-you all for the hard work you did in researching and writing this all in clear terms for everyone!

And thanks Echidna for linking me to this post :D

alexandros

Rough_Rock

Is this nonsense by Fedex and customs still going on???

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock

What do you mean by 'nonsense'? If you're asking whether GST and or duty is still payable on jewellery over $1000, then yes, that is still the case. Whether or not Fedex is involved depends on the carrier used to deliver the item to you in Australia.

MqLove

Rough_Rock

Basically, if you've shipped through FedEx on a $1000+ item, they'll deal with customs for you and pass you on the charges (10% GST + 5% duty + handling). BUT if it's from the US, you don't have to pay 5% duty (free trade agreement), so you (or the sender) need to provide them proof that it was made in the US so they can give it to customs so you don't have to pay the 5%.

Or, you can file a claim after you've paid it all and the item has cleared customs to get the 5% back.

alexandros

Rough_Rock

'Nonsense' as in FEDEX / Customs obtaining the 5% import tax when they shouldn't. I've been through this process several times before importing online purchases from tiaras to tires. Only late last year did I have to go through the rigmarole of claiming back what I shouldnt have paid on a jewellery purchase.

I am wondering if people are still having issues with Fedex not noting things or simply ignoring requests for preferential rates.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

alexandros|1325916729|3097133 said:
'Nonsense' as in FEDEX / Customs obtaining the 5% import tax when they shouldn't. I've been through this process several times before importing online purchases from tiaras to tires. Only late last year did I have to go through the rigmarole of claiming back what I shouldnt have paid on a jewellery purchase.

I am wondering if people are still having issues with Fedex not noting things or simply ignoring requests for preferential rates.

Yeah they are. My friend purchased some studs from BGD late last year and she was charged the full 15%. The AUSFTA paperwork was all there but the FedEx people didn't bother to look at it. :rolleyes:

dnnames

Rough_Rock

Sorry to bump an old thread up - I have a question in relation to the claiming of AusFTA exemption for duty for engagement rings. There's a lot of information here about the process to claim it, which is great.

However, I have a question in relation to when the AusFTA applies - if the setting itself is not created in US but only the mere setting of the diamond onto the setting is done in the US, would the AusFTA still apply - i.e. will it still be sufficiently 'made in US' for the purposes of duty exemption?

Thanks in advance!

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

Seems FedEx are still ignoring paperwork and notes on the system and charging the full 15%. We ordered Lauren's wedding band a few months ago and when we had the shipping number, we called Fedex to explain it will be duties free due to the FTA. When it hit Australia they called Lauren and tried charging her the full 15%, she said no, it should only be 10%, etc. and they threatened to return to sender if she didn't pay the full amount and claim it back herself.

My wedding band was sent through another shipping company and it came duty free (they even delivered it to my Aust Post parcel locker). I didn't have to do a thing either, it was just processed correctly :)

panda_eyes66

Rough_Rock

Any update on the best way to do this?

I bought a ring from the US which has the correct paperwork. FedEx has sent me through an invoice to pay which is 10% gst + 5% duties + other import taxes. I tried explaining to the person who called me with the price quote that it was exempt but they didn't seem to get it and would not explain why I was being charged even though it is exempt.

Is it best to follow up with customs to get a new invoice or FedEx?

Thanks!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

My boyfriend said he had to make fedex check for the document twice. Even though it was right in the front pocket they hadn't bothered to check. In the end we didn't pay duty but it seemed like a bit of a struggle. I think you just need to be adamant the document proves it qualifies for the AUSFTA.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Ok fedex just called my friend and he only got charged 10% GST. I think it depends on your luck :angel:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has nothing to do with luck it's all about what they can get away with charging you, you need to have the correct up to date AUSFTA forms taped somewhere to the front of the box. I ALWAYS ask the vendor to email me a copy of these forms as well, so that when they attempt to charge me the full 15% which they nearly always do (and I have imported a lot of items from the US) all I do is email them the correct form, and say it's also on the front of the box, so I have no idea why you can't be bothered to look for it.

If you are having issues ask the vendors if they put the correct forms on the front of the box, or in the box, and if they took copies.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock

It has nothing to do with luck it's all about what they can get away with charging you, you need to have the correct up to date AUSFTA forms taped somewhere to the front of the box. I ALWAYS ask the vendor to email me a copy of these forms as well, so that when they attempt to charge me the full 15% which they nearly always do (and I have imported a lot of items from the US) all I do is email them the correct form, and say it's also on the front of the box, so I have no idea why you can't be bothered to look for it.

If you are having issues ask the vendors if they put the correct forms on the front of the box, or in the box, and if they took copies.

I’m a bit late to this conversation, but any idea where I can get the correct and up to date AUSFTA forms that are required to be completed by the vendor?
I‘ve searched the Aus Governments Home Affairs site and cannot find it.
The vendor of the jewellery I’m purchasing from in the US isn’t aware we are exempt from paying the 5% duty, and I’d prefer to have it organised prior to it landing in Aus.
Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I’m a bit late to this conversation, but any idea where I can get the correct and up to date AUSFTA forms that are required to be completed by the vendor?
I‘ve searched the Aus Governments Home Affairs site and cannot find it.
The vendor of the jewellery I’m purchasing from in the US isn’t aware we are exempt from paying the 5% duty, and I’d prefer to have it organised prior to it landing in Aus.
Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

I have copies of the form in my computer at the office. Contact me there and I will send you a copy.

If you live in Australia, you should let the jeweler you are buying from know about the AUFSTA agreement and ask him to fill out the paperwork for you and email you a copy, as well as putting copies in the documents pouch on your package.

It literally takes only a few minutes to correctly fill it out.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results