shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring & AUSFTA

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick update.

WF has updated their FAQ website to alert austalian customers about the free trade agreement and how to go about it

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/faq.aspx?articleid=831&zoneid=11

got to love it,
36.gif
, the more it is known the better it will be for everyone.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thorough step by step Aj. Off to London today to see my baby girl
1.gif
. Will get this sorted when I come back!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Just an update!!!

BGD will ship today or tomorrow. They are taking the glamour shots today (or last night our time) who knows!!

YAY - how long does it take via fed ex?

Yes, I though 3 weeks for a Jeff White was good. He said he has cleaned up his back log quite a bit.

I am getting about a 3ct Malaya Garnet in a round - like the cushion he auctioned for Haiti. Also like Shimmers.

Have wanted one for years! (Since I saw Shimmers)

Also about ANZ.

I managed to get the fee reversed! but just a note to everyone. It is an ANZ only fee that they charge EVEN if the credit card was charged in Australia Dollars, because the merchant was overseas. Even if PayPal did the transaction in Australia too.

So just a word of warning, don''t use ANZ for PayPal.

Ill give the AJ suggested a go.

Thanks everyone!

Now to save my 5%

Waiting on FedEx shipping No. now!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Ok Ill add my experience, thus far.

1 - Receive FedEx tracking number from BGD
2 - Check FedEx website and make sure its on there.
3 - Call FedEx on the telephone number provided by AJ
4 - Speak to a broker
5 - He emails me out the form I need (same as Lestat)
6 - I print it off, fill it in and sign, scan it back into computer
7 - Email REPLY ALL the form

That is it so far. I think that should be it!

I hope so

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
So who will ring about the GST and how and where to pay it?

FedEx says its estimated delivery time is Monday 6pm!! That is amazing!

Thanks for all the help on this.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
lasscreative, you are doing better than I did this morning!

I rang Fedex with my LM FedEx shipping number. The guy I spoke to clearly knew what I was talking about but just as clearly couldn''t be a*sed - he asked me if there would be documentation in the package to prove it was exempt of duty, I said yes, he said, um, well just wait for them to call you with the customs costs. I told him I knew there was a form to sign. He told me I could claim it back later. I said goodbye and decided to call again and speak to someone else
29.gif

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 12:57:42 AM
Author: lasscreative
So who will ring about the GST and how and where to pay it?

FedEx says its estimated delivery time is Monday 6pm!! That is amazing!

Thanks for all the help on this.

I received a call from a Fedex person regarding GST, I gave them a credit card number on the phone and it was all paid for. They provided a receipt number and then they cleared it with customs and I got it soon after! Sounds like you''re having a very smooth ride, great job!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 2:51:02 AM
Author: pancake

I rang Fedex with my LM FedEx shipping number. The guy I spoke to clearly knew what I was talking about but just as clearly couldn''t be a*sed - he asked me if there would be documentation in the package to prove it was exempt of duty, I said yes, he said, um, well just wait for them to call you with the customs costs. I told him I knew there was a form to sign. He told me I could claim it back later. I said goodbye and decided to call again and speak to someone else
29.gif

I actually just rang Fedex to let them know that I wanted to claim preferential duty rates on my package under AUSFTA so that they could write it on their system for the broker to read. I was contacted by the broker when the ring arrived, and they sent me the form then. I just filled it in, faxed it back, and it was sorted straight away.

The broker didn''t seem to know much about AUSFTA, they gave me the impression that my ring *might* be charged duty, but couldn''t give me any reason why. I explained to him that a ring made in the USA is duty free under AUSFTA and he agreed to put it through but still warned me that he wasn''t sure about it and that I may be charged duty. Clearly this is a new concept, or just too much thinking for some employees, and they try to avoid it or get out of it if possible. Just be persistent and you''ll get it through no worries
21.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! First of all, thanks so much Lestat for the legwork re: customs and AUSFTA.

Secondly, I`d like to ask for advice. Did any of you had any trouble with wire-transfer to US? We tried to send money to WF today from Commonwealth Bank, and were told that it is done in 3 steps:

1. CBA sends money to US bank (A Clearing House ie. Mellon Bank) ($28 aussie fee)
2. Mellong Bank transfers money to JPMorgan Chase. ($25 US fee)
3. JPMorgan Chase transfer to WhiteFlash (UNKNOWN ?)

Then they said, that because of the 3rd unknown, WF will actually receive less money than what we set out to send as they can''t tell us the final fee. And then we may have to set up another wire transfer later on to complete the difference!! And they recommended we send WF a draft money order via express post instead... It all sounds very strange to me as we`ve made plenty transfers in the past (but not to WF) with no problems. Any advice or ideas? Thanks ahead!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 5:04:43 PM
Author: katebar
Thanks for the thorough step by step Aj. Off to London today to see my baby girl
1.gif
. Will get this sorted when I come back!

You''re welcome kate..
I haven''t had time to come back and finish it yet (there are a couple more things you will need to obtain). I will be sure to do that this weekend though.

Have a lovely and safe trip!
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 5:41:39 AM
Author: chiquitapet
Hi everyone! First of all, thanks so much Lestat for the legwork re: customs and AUSFTA.

Secondly, I`d like to ask for advice. Did any of you had any trouble with wire-transfer to US? We tried to send money to WF today from Commonwealth Bank, and were told that it is done in 3 steps:

1. CBA sends money to US bank (A Clearing House ie. Mellon Bank) ($28 aussie fee)

Then they said, that because of the 3rd unknown, WF will actually receive less money than what we set out to send as they can''t tell us the final fee. And then we may have to set up another wire transfer later on to complete the difference!! And they recommended we send WF a draft money order via express post instead... It all sounds very strange to me as we`ve made plenty transfers in the past (but not to WF) with no problems. Any advice or ideas? Thanks ahead!

chiquita,
that sounds odd. I did wires through NAB and Bankwest, and was never told anything like that.

I strongly suggest you use Ozforex instead.
Myself, Just Ginger and a number of other Aussie posters use this service with great success.

It is just the same as doing a wire, however from my experience they tend to offer you at least 2 or more cents better than the bank''s exchange rates; plus, best bit - your first couple transactions are fee-free.

I found them very professional and secure, the service is prompt and polite and the system is very easy and user-friendly.

You just need to set up your account, than a broker will phone you to make sure everything is legit; than ask WF for all their info so you can add them as a recipient.
Once you''ve identified an exchange rate you''re happy with, you commit to the quote and proceed to send the funds - WF should get it next day.

I have used them 3 times now and strongly recommend this service
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 2:51:02 AM

I rang Fedex with my LM FedEx shipping number. The guy I spoke to clearly knew what I was talking about but just as clearly couldn't be a*sed - he asked me if there would be documentation in the package to prove it was exempt of duty, I said yes, he said, um, well just wait for them to call you with the customs costs. I told him I knew there was a form to sign. He told me I could claim it back later. I said goodbye and decided to call again and speak to someone else
29.gif

Sounds like a good idea to try for a better staffer pancake - it really does depend on who you get. It was quite funny when I phoned up to get some info; probably much like Lestat's experience, I felt like I was running staff training seminars, lol!

Claiming it back after is quite a bit more involved, so no don't let them push you into doing that.

I will say (in a general comment to all readers), not to stress about it too much. Even *if* your item arrived and was mistakenly processed with duty included - when FedEx phone you to ask for the charges so your package can be released, you can always resolve the issue at that stage.
It would need to go back to customs for an adjustment, so would be another day or so in processing (I know we all want our sparklies asap!).

Of course, it's always best to preempt and have it all sorted before the shipment lands in Au if possible.
Hopefully after all of our calls and inquiries lately, the staff will become more proficient with this legislation!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 5:41:39 AM

Then they said, that because of the 3rd unknown, WF will actually receive less money than what we set out to send as they can't tell us the final fee. And then we may have to set up another wire transfer later on to complete the difference!! And they recommended we send WF a draft money order via express post instead... It all sounds very strange to me as we`ve made plenty transfers in the past (but not to WF) with no problems. Any advice or ideas? Thanks ahead!

This sounds like pretty typical wire transfer to me. I use Westpac bank, and I performed the wire transfer myself using online banking (only costs $20AUD to do it myself, I believe it's about $30AUD in branch). I paid a $20AUD fee on my end to do the transfer, and then when the recipient bank receives the money in the USA, they are charged $25USD by their bank.

I used this method with both Whiteflash and Leon Mege, and neither one expected me to make up their bank fees. I believe Leon even states on his website "We are not asking you to pay our fees, we just don't want to pay yours." and I think this may be standard practice, please confirm with your chosen vendor. From what I could see transferring to Whiteflash, the amount they received was exactly $25USD less than what I sent including my bank fee, so I don't believe they lose any extra money apart from the initial fee.

I wouldn't think that you have to worry about their fees, just make sure you cover your bank's fees. Check with Whiteflash to be sure.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lestat! You are awesome!
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
lestat,
the way you have explained it now makes sense, and is pretty much the same as my experience.

I thought initially chiquita was saying they were going to lose a substantial amount at the other end, which of course wouldn''t make sense..

regardless, I still stand by using ozforex instead of the banks - easier and cheaper, imho and experience.
5.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Just got a reply from WF, which exactly confirms what Lestat said: I only need to pay my bank fees, they cover theirs.

arjunajane - Yes, you understood me correctly. That's pretty much what the bank teller kept telling us: that it has happened several times in the past that the customer had to send more money later on to cover the US bank fees. And when you`re signing the transfer, it's one of the terms and conditions as well.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Argh, I''m annoyed. I rang FedEx again yesterday and managed to get someone to agree to call me when the customs was to be sorted so that I could fill out the paperwork.

So I''ve just arrived interstate (where I am working for a week), and I have a voicemail message - it is FedEx, saying the ring is here and I have to pay $X in duties and taxes. (Nobody contacted me as they had said they would).

UGH.

Anyone know if you can get them to re-lodge the paperwork so that I don''t have to make a retrospective claim?

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 1:38:24 AM
Argh, I''m annoyed. I rang FedEx again yesterday and managed to get someone to agree to call me when the customs was to be sorted so that I could fill out the paperwork.

So I''ve just arrived interstate (where I am working for a week), and I have a voicemail message - it is FedEx, saying the ring is here and I have to pay $X in duties and taxes. (Nobody contacted me as they had said they would).

UGH.

Anyone know if you can get them to re-lodge the paperwork so that I don''t have to make a retrospective claim?

Sorry to hear about all your hassles with Fedex! I would give them a ring to see if they can correct their mistake and resubmit your claim to Australian customs before it is released to you. This way you may avoid all the extra paperwork.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Arjunajane - sorry, I totally missed your post before Lestat's! Thanks for your advice, I`ll look into Ozforex for sure for our next transaction! It sounds quite good!

We went to another branch of CBA today and the transaction went very smoothly. The guy didn't even mention anything about us paying the US bank fees and automatically filled in that the money recipient is responsible for those. So I think it was just the lady we were dealing with yesterday that had some negative past experience and so wanted to warn us.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 1:38:24 AM

UGH.

YES!

Pancake, as per my explanation above - if the notation is made properly by WF on the import declaration, indicating this is an FTA item - than the answer is yes.
(Do you know if WF made the proper notations?) If so, this is an over-sight by FedEx and their fault.

Phone and explain to FedEx that you want the paperwork done again, and an adjustment made to reflect the preferential tariff rate for your item which qualifies as per the FTA.
Ask directly to speak to a FedEx customs broker, not the usual lackies - at least then they should know what you are speaking about and will be able to act on it for you.

Don''t let them disagree, as I know this is possible to do, because they offered for me last time.
If you go ahead and pay the whole fees, you will need to go through the refund process (which isn''t actually that hard / bad), but still preferable to sort it now.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 3:45:38 AM
Arjunajane - sorry, I totally missed your post before Lestat''s! Thanks for your advice, I`ll look into Ozforex for sure for our next transaction! It sounds quite good!

We went to another branch of CBA today and the transaction went very smoothly. The guy didn''t even mention anything about us paying the US bank fees and automatically filled in that the money recipient is responsible for those. So I think it was just the lady we were dealing with yesterday that had some negative past experience and so wanted to warn us.

That''s okay, this thread moves kinda fast!
Glad to hear it worked out in the end
5.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
So I have been constantly looking at my FedEx tracking.

I have posted a screen shot of it currently.

Has my packaged successfully cleared customs and not charged the 5% or is it still early days??

Could I still get the 5% charge?

Thanks for all the help so far.

P.S no one has rung me, but its still the weekend

FedEx_Tracking_page_1.png

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke to a Customs broker this morning who actually knew what she was talking about and was very helpful. She has emailed me the form to send back, but I had a question about substantiating the claim.

In the email, it says I will need to fill out the form and the evidence to support the claim. I don't know what Leon put in the box, but is filling in the form and crossing my fingers enough? Obviously the ring WAS made in the US so either way it is eligible.

Lestat - thoughts?

I also thought it was unusual that they called me to pay the duties and taxes before the ring even got here. It is still in Memphis!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Yet another update!!!

FedEx just called me!! I just paid the 10% GST over the phone but NO 5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I think I did get a smooth ride! WOOT!!!!!!

So should be in my eager hands tomorrow!!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 7:05:26 PM
I spoke to a Customs broker this morning who actually knew what she was talking about and was very helpful. She has emailed me the form to send back, but I had a question about substantiating the claim.

In the email, it says I will need to fill out the form and the evidence to support the claim. I don''t know what Leon put in the box, but is filling in the form and crossing my fingers enough? Obviously the ring WAS made in the US so either way it is eligible.

Lestat - thoughts?

I also thought it was unusual that they called me to pay the duties and taxes before the ring even got here. It is still in Memphis!

Personally, I was not required to produce any receipts or proof that the ring was made in the USA. Leon did include a receipt with the ring when it was shipped, and I had him write "Eligible for AUSFTA" on the receipt. I don''t know if anyone even looked at it, but I wasn''t asked to provide any other form of proof. I believe things usually work like AJ said earlier, customs will take your word that the goods are made in the USA, and if there''s any reasonable doubt about that, they may contact you and ask for further proof.

I believe that a receipt from your vendor would be enough to prove that the ring is made in the USA because even if the ring was custom or die struck or cast, it was still made in the USA. If Fedex wants to be annoying and ask for MORE proof, all you would need is a statement (email should be fine) from your vendor saying that the ring was made in the USA.

Is the form the same form I posted a picture of earlier in this thread? I was not required to submit any proof with that form, what you see is what I faxed back. I did not have to do any other paperwork at all. Basically, I notified Fedex that my ring was in transit and that I wanted to claim preferential duty under AUSFTA, then I just waited until it arrived in Australia and the local Fedex broker contacted me. He sent me the form, I faxed it back and later on that day I got a call to pay the 10% GST.

I also agree that it''s unusual that they called you when the ring was still overseas, I didn''t get called for payment until it had already landed in Sydney and been shipped to customs in Brisbane.

Good luck with it all!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations lasscreative!! Great news!
36.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 8:31:03 PM
Author: Lestat
Congratulations lasscreative!! Great news!
36.gif

THANKS!!! It was you who did all the hard work. As well as AJ!!!! So thanks!

PANCAKE Cannot wait to see your beautiful Leon Mege ring!!! Looks so beautiful and will go just lovely with your EC ring!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I am incredibly frustrated right now. Here is the sequence of events that have occurred:

1. I received a shipping notification, both from LM and from FedEx (this occurred overnight on Thursday)

2. Friday morning I rang FedEx in Australia. My shipment had not even been entered in their system, so I asked him if he could email me the relevant forms for me to fill out in advance, or put a note on the system. He said no. Then he told me to call again when the shipment reached Australia.

3. Saturday afternoon I arrived interstate for work. When I switched on my phone, there was a voicemail message from FedEx asking me to pay the duties and taxes (including the 5%) and to please call them back to arrange this. At this time, my online tracking had the parcel registered as having left New York, but no further.

4. Sunday morning I spoke to a FedEx customer service person who promptly emailed me the forms to fill out. My package was at this stage tracked to Memphis, TN.

5. This morning (fairly early, too) - it's Monday today - I faxed the forms, and the supporting documentation to FedEx. I emailed to confirm this.

6. I received a call from the customer service rep who I'd spoken to yesterday, saying that the customs broker dealing with my claim had said that because the taxes and duties had ALREADY been calculated, that it couldn't be re-done, and I would have to submit claim forms later to receive a refund. The other possibility given to me was that I could dispute the customs assessment, which would cost me $132 (more than the 5% duty!).

I am currently waiting for the broker in question to call me back, but I am really really cross. I feel I have exercised due diligence and done all I could to prevent this contingency from occurring. I am particularly puzzled as to why taxes on the shipment were calculated well before the ring hit Australian shores.

ARGH
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

ETA: I finally spoke to a customs broker. I was told categorically that the assessment CANNOT be re-done without either a) a formal dispute being lodged (and thus the $132 fee), or b) a complex series of forms being filled out and a manufacturer's declaration being forwarded, with this process likely to take more than 2 weeks. He told me that the way things have occurred are an "unfortunate flaw" but that it cannot be rectified.

I finally relented and I will pay the duty up-front and apply for a refund. However, I'm really really angry.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
ArjunaJane, when you submitted your claim forms retrospectively for a refund of the duty, did you have to provide the manufacturer''s declaration that I am being asked to?

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 10:34:23 PM
I am incredibly frustrated right now. Here is the sequence of events that have occurred:

1. I received a shipping notification, both from LM and from FedEx (this occurred overnight on Thursday)

2. Friday morning I rang FedEx in Australia. My shipment had not even been entered in their system, so I asked him if he could email me the relevant forms for me to fill out in advance, or put a note on the system. He said no. Then he told me to call again when the shipment reached Australia.

3. Saturday afternoon I arrived interstate for work. When I switched on my phone, there was a voicemail message from FedEx asking me to pay the duties and taxes (including the 5%) and to please call them back to arrange this. At this time, my online tracking had the parcel registered as having left New York, but no further.

4. Sunday morning I spoke to a FedEx customer service person who promptly emailed me the forms to fill out. My package was at this stage tracked to Memphis, TN.

5. This morning (fairly early, too) - it''s Monday today - I faxed the forms, and the supporting documentation to FedEx. I emailed to confirm this.

6. I received a call from the customer service rep who I''d spoken to yesterday, saying that the customs broker dealing with my claim had said that because the taxes and duties had ALREADY been calculated, that it couldn''t be re-done, and I would have to submit claim forms later to receive a refund. The other possibility given to me was that I could dispute the customs assessment, which would cost me $132 (more than the 5% duty!).

I am currently waiting for the broker in question to call me back, but I am really really cross. I feel I have exercised due diligence and done all I could to prevent this contingency from occurring. I am particularly puzzled as to why taxes on the shipment were calculated well before the ring hit Australian shores.

ARGH
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

ETA: I finally spoke to a customs broker. I was told categorically that the assessment CANNOT be re-done without either a) a formal dispute being lodged (and thus the $132 fee), or b) a complex series of forms being filled out and a manufacturer''s declaration being forwarded, with this process likely to take more than 2 weeks. He told me that the way things have occurred are an ''unfortunate flaw'' but that it cannot be rectified.

I finally relented and I will pay the duty up-front and apply for a refund. However, I''m really really angry.

OHHHH pancake!!!! Ohh pancake!! Ohhhh Hun, I wish I could give you a big hug!!!

Oh my - that is absolute rubbish!

I can''t give you advice on the refund, wait till AJ chimes in.

All I can add, is my suggestion. I think just pay the 5% now and go the refund route, because I am pretty certain you want your Leon Mege in your hands asap.

If AJ got her money back, I am sure you can to. Chin Up.

All I know from my experience is that next time I purchase (which will hopefully be a 3 stone LEON MEGE ring with my Jeff White malaya) is that now that I have the form, I will email FedEx it straight away then ring them and ask them to marry it up ASAP.

I feel terrible that you had such a horrid experience my and mine was smooth sailing. Just bizaar actually.

All the best and keep us updated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results