color
clarity

Custom Ring & AUSFTA

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 4:37:06 AM
Author: lasscreative
Hi Guys!!!

I have just purchased 3 Barbara Bezel pendants from Brian Gavin Diamonds!!!!

I hope this works for me too!!!

Ill keep you posted!

good luck lass, i''m sure you''ll be fine!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ when I rang Customs they had no clue what I was talking about.
Can you give me an email or contact number or how i download the forms>
Thanks very much!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
ARGHHHHHhhhhh Help me!!! I feel so overwhelmed!!!

It has been about 5 days since my payment went through with BGD.

My 3 diamonds are no longing in their diamond database.

But I have asked Lesley a number of Q''s in the ticket - client area (you know what I mean) That have not been responded too.

I getting so nervous. 1 off them was about how long it will take to be completed and when I will get a FedEx tracking number so I can follow your instructions. Another was about the document they need to supply that states the goods were manufactured in the USA so I am not charged the 5% tax.

I am getting really nervous, because they were responsive before I made payment and now that they have it, they are missing in action.

The other is that I got charges a MASSIVE fee by my credit card even though PayPal did the currency conversion. I have called them twice and not getting anywhere.

Feeling a bit upset. Just wished I had gone to my normal jeweler. I feel that with all these fees and such, I may end up getting the raw end of the deal!

XzyluM

Rough_Rock
Lesley has been out of town this week and should be back tomorrow. I''m sure she will get back with you the first chance she has. I''m waiting on her response as well, but she did inform me that she would be out of town and would get back to me Monday.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 1:24:18 AM
Author: XzyluM
Lesley has been out of town this week and should be back tomorrow. I''m sure she will get back with you the first chance she has. I''m waiting on her response as well, but she did inform me that she would be out of town and would get back to me Monday.
Ohhh Phew!!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2010 7:58:56 PM
Author: katebar
Thanks very much!

I''m not AJ, but are you after forms to bring a ring into Australia or forms to claim back duty that has wrongly been charged to you?

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Don''t worry lasscreative, I''m sure BGD will provide you the tracking number ASAP once it ships out. Some vendors use software to create a Fedex order, so you actually get the tracking number before Fedex does. For example, I got my tracking number so fast from Leon Mege that when I called Fedex, it wasn''t even in their system yet! You''ll probably have a day or two before it gets here to sort things out.

Re: Document to prove country of origin, all you really need is a receipt from BGD. It might expedite things if they could write: "Eligible for AUSFTA" on it somewhere, or at least write "made in the USA" or something like that, but really, you''re safe either way as long as Fedex knows to claim it as duty free.

Not sure about the credit card thing unfortunately, maybe Paypal billed the sale amount to your credit card and billed the currency conversion fees seperately? Then they would show as two lines on your statement. Not sure... Good luck sorting it out!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 3:48:32 AM
Author: Lestat

Thanks very much!

I''m not AJ, but are you after forms to bring a ring into Australia or forms to claim back duty that has wrongly been charged to you?

hey kate - yeah you''ll get that I''m afraid, depends which person you chance across.
It took me a number of days to extract all the info I''ve posted here.

Can you please advise as per Lestat''s question above, and than I will be happy to give you a step-by-step, links, what forms etc to download
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 12:39:02 AM
ARGHHHHHhhhhh Help me!!! I feel so overwhelmed!!!

It has been about 5 days since my payment went through with BGD.

My 3 diamonds are no longing in their diamond database.

But I have asked Lesley a number of Q''s in the ticket - client area (you know what I mean) That have not been responded too.

I getting so nervous. 1 off them was about how long it will take to be completed and when I will get a FedEx tracking number so I can follow your instructions. Another was about the document they need to supply that states the goods were manufactured in the USA so I am not charged the 5% tax.

I am getting really nervous, because they were responsive before I made payment and now that they have it, they are missing in action.

The other is that I got charges a MASSIVE fee by my credit card even though PayPal did the currency conversion. I have called them twice and not getting anywhere.

Feeling a bit upset. Just wished I had gone to my normal jeweler. I feel that with all these fees and such, I may end up getting the raw end of the deal!

Hi lass -
okay, take a few deep breaths, it will all be fine!!
I will try to help:

1. Lesley & Brian would *never* desert you after a sale - Never! So do not worry! I am positive as soon as she is back in town she will reply to all of your questions stat.

2. As Lestat mentioned, you will receive your FedEx number as soon as BG have generated a shipping order - usually electronic I believe. Lesley will email it to you as soon as she has it. Be patient, I''m sure it''s in the works.

3. As for the letter from BGD - well, I would actually say don''t worry about it at this stage.
The actual legal policy / wording from the AU customs dept when it comes to the FTA, is that they take all claims for reduced duty on a face value basis; as in, they believe you up-front, and will only question you for proof if they feel it necessary (or possibly on a random - check basis).
This means that more than likely, if you follow the steps as outlined, your package and claim will go through smoothly without question. Worst that can happen, they decide to check on your import claim - and *only than*, at that stage, do you need a letter from BGD.

tbh, I would actually leave it for now, as it''s actually unnecessary work for Lesley and will only hold your shipment up - I can vouch that she is *very quick* with paperwork if by chance you do end up needing anything.
1.gif

4. Re The paypal and credit card thing - this is not correct and there appears to be a stuff-up. When you do a currency transfer through Paypal, you either select to accept Paypal''s conversion rate of the day, which is shown; OR you elect to use the conversion rate of your credit card company (which, in my experience is usually worse, and you are not told what it is at the time).
If you chose the first option, which by the sounds of it you did, your CC Co. has charged you conversion fees incorrectly - so you will need to take that up with your bank, I''m afraid..

okay, I think that covers it
2.gif

again, please don''t worry - BG are always extremely busy, I''m sure everything will go smoothly. You can always come back here for more advice / reassurance
1.gif

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Further to this thread, I received an e-mail from the CEO of Whiteflash this morning, Debi Wexler. Whiteflash has quite a few cutomers from Australia who may benefit from the free trade agreement, so they have now written up an article about AUSFTA for their website full of information and links for prospective Aussie buyers!

Here''s the link!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Oh My Gosh you guys!

No, Seriously... So lovely.

Feel much better.

I have called ANZ twice and I have called PayPal.

I DEFINITELY choice PayPal to make the conversion, so I called to double check this and that is correct, but they went on to tell me that ANZ and 1 other bank, (she thinks it was either Bank West or Bank of Queensland) are charging a 3% fee because the merchant is outside of Australia. I really don''t see how that matters. I have used Commonwealth Bank and never got such a charge, so I rang them and they said, if I choose PayPal to do the conversion there is no fees.

The 1st time I called ANZ that is what they told me about the merchant being outside of Australia.

The 2nd time (after I had done some research) I was put through to a credit card resolution centre.. something... and the girl was a bit vague and said that it will be reversed in a few days, but not by anything she had done. I didn''t believe her and I know it won''t be automatically reversed. I got her name and will ring back today. (yes, for the 3rd time)

I don''t care, its a stupid fee that makes no sense and I will get my refund!!!!

So, does anyone have a rough estimate it would take for the barbara pendants to be made. I think I have read somewhere it is 5 days, but not sure!

Really excited.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Oh and just to add

Lestat, it doesn''t appear over 2 lines

it looks like this in the statement

PAYPAL *ALPHA INC 4029357733
INCL OVERSEAS TXN FEE 85.76 AUD

RIDICULOUS!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 5:33:01 PM
Further to this thread, I received an e-mail from the CEO of Whiteflash this morning, Debi Wexler. Whiteflash has quite a few cutomers from Australia who may benefit from the free trade agreement, so they have now written up an article about AUSFTA for their website full of information and links for prospective Aussie buyers!

Here''s the link!

Just checked this out! How good is this???

So Handy!!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I got a shipping notification from Leon Mege today - should have the shipping number tomorrow. Will see how I go!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Lasscreative - next time, try Ozforex.com

I and some other Aussies on here use it for buying from the states, and they give a *much* more favourable rate than Paypal or all of the banks I''ve spoken to for wire transfers.

Vendors will happily accept them as its just like a wire - plus the best bit, your first 3 transactions are fee-free
2.gif

On the website, when you sign up it will tell you initially that they won''t process transactions less than a certain amount (I believe it was 3 or 5k, can''t remember?).
But all you need to do is speak to one of their staff, and they can lower this limit for you so you can send whatever amount you want.

Staff in my experience are quick, friendly and helpful - also unlike a bank, ha!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 7:47:46 PM
Author: pancake
I got a shipping notification from Leon Mege today - should have the shipping number tomorrow. Will see how I go!

OHhhhhhhh what you getting... details, details!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 8:21:03 AM
Author: arjunajane

Thanks very much!

hey kate - yeah you''ll get that I''m afraid, depends which person you chance across.

Can you please advise as per Lestat''s question above, and than I will be happy to give you a step-by-step, links, what forms etc to download
1.gif
Hi guys forms to claim back wrongly charged.
Thanks
36.gif

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
lasscreative, I am getting this eternity band!

Partly as a stacker with my wedding set (not yet married, but not long to go), partly as an e-ring stand-in while we travel overseas this year :) I''m planning to get a second one so that I can wear it on either side of my e-ring or my WB.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 10:32:26 PM
Author: pancake
lasscreative, I am getting this eternity band!

Partly as a stacker with my wedding set (not yet married, but not long to go), partly as an e-ring stand-in while we travel overseas this year :) I''m planning to get a second one so that I can wear it on either side of my e-ring or my WB.

hehehe!!

I don''t know what happened, but you linked a 45k diamond from BGD.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
How funny! It must have been from when I was ogling Harriet''s potential upgrade, lol.

The eternity is much much much much much more modest than that, it''s tiny! Trying again...here you go!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 10:30:24 PM
Date: 2/22/2010 8:21:03 AM

Thanks very much!

1.gif
Hi guys forms to claim back wrongly charged.

Thanks
36.gif

Hey kate -
I should have some time this evening to give you a step by step (just at work now)
1.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
So, does anyone know the actually date that Lesley will be back?

Just so I am aware.

Sorry, I can get so seriously impatient!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
That''s really awesome that WF went to the effort to create a policy page on the FTA - Vera told me they were working on something, so it''s great to see the info live.

I''m really digging the "ripple effect" of education that this thread is causing - giving me the warm and fuzzies
9.gif

lasscreative - I believe Lesley should be available as of tomorrow morning Houston time - if it''s urgent and you''d like to phone instead of email, I always use this site before phoning US vendors. It has tools to let you know the dialing codes for each area, translates time differences, etc..

Also, did you see my message about Ozforex above? I would encourage you to consider them instead of paypal for your next O/S purchase.
1.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 6:55:54 AM
That''s really awesome that WF went to the effort to create a policy page on the FTA - Vera told me they were working on something, so it''s great to see the info live.

I''m really digging the ''ripple effect'' of education that this thread is causing - giving me the warm and fuzzies
9.gif

lasscreative - I believe Lesley should be available as of tomorrow morning Houston time - if it''s urgent and you''d like to phone instead of email, I always use this site before phoning US vendors. It has tools to let you know the dialing codes for each area, translates time differences, etc..

Also, did you see my message about Ozforex above? I would encourage you to consider them instead of paypal for your next O/S purchase.
1.gif

Hi AJ,

Yes I did see the post about ozforex. I have just recently paid a deposit for a Jeff White stone and I was not allowed to use either of my cc''s so I had to use my savings account. But I will definitely look into it for when I have to pay the balance.

Jeff thinks its about a 3 week wait! Depressing!

Oh that''s is cool about the o/s help. Where is BGD located? I know it says Central Time on their site. I have a feeling that they are in Texas too.

Big help, I am getting the warm and fuzzies too! Or is it because, each day it is bringing my pendants to me! LOL

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
OK, this info is for Kate, or of course for anyone else who would like the steps for applying for a refund of duty paid erroneously. You can claim for imports made up to 4 years ago.

I would like to state up-front this should be used as a guide only, *please* ensure your purchase qualifies under the relevant customs policies by reading through the research and discussions earlier in this thread, and make sure your vendor is able to provide you the proof you will require.

If you are unsure whether your purchase qualifies, you should contact the Australian Customs'' dedicated refund centre on(03)9244 8054 or email address: [email protected].

To start, you will need the following Customs forms, which can be downloaded from http://www.customs.gov.au/ (I usually just plug the form # into the search function):

B653 - Refund Application
B650 - Import Declaration

You will need your original import declaration to help you fill out the forms - you would have received this from FedEx with your package (looks a bit like an invoice)

Step 1: B653, fill out all the fields as follows:
- your declaration ID and owner ID can be found on your import declaration.
- leave owner reference blank.
- owner name is your name.
- "Have the goods been dealt with in accordance...." - tick yes.
- "Are you entitled to a refund of GST..." - tick yes.

For the statement explaining why a refund is being sought, write something referring to qualifying for AUS-US FTA preferential tariff rates, but failed to apply at the time of import.

- The refund reason type is "E" - "manifest error of fact or patent misconception of law". (basically just means mistake, lol)..
- "Has a duty drawback been claimed?" - tick no.

- and of course, fill out your personal and banking details.

Customs won''t update you on how your claim is going - if you are successful, after 30 days the refund will just show up in your account.

Step 2: B650

You''ll notice on the refund form it says "Important - you MUST attach to this application a new declaration on which you have indicated what changes are to be made to your import declaration by completing ONLY the fields that have changed".

So, although B650 is 3 pages long - Don''t re-fill the whole thing. You are only concerned with the last page, specifically Section C : Tariff Details. Fill out as follows:

- Origin Country is - "US"
- Preference origin country is - "US"
- Preference Scheme type is - "US"
- Preference Rule type - now this one *could* change, depending on what it is you are claiming for. However, 99% of the time it is going to be "PS". **
This is all you need to complete for this form.

** This relates to statement of rules of origin. Rule type PS means : "goods (except clothing and textiles) produced entirely in the US from non-originating materials. Relates to goods made in the US from US materials and materials from other countries"

This rule clearly applies to the majority of our purchases, as they are manufactured in the US but most often contain precious gems and metals that may or may not come from the US.

I would like to state here to please ensure you select the correct rule type for your purchase; if you''re unclear, speak to your vendor or the customs refund centre.

alright, it''s getting a tad late sorry and I''m bushed - I''ll do the remaining steps tomorrow. Hope that helps so far
1.gif
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 7:14:04 AM

I''m really digging the ''ripple effect'' of education that this thread is causing - giving me the warm and fuzzies
9.gif

1.gif

Hi AJ,

Yes I did see the post about ozforex. I have just recently paid a deposit for a Jeff White stone and I was not allowed to use either of my cc''s so I had to use my savings account. But I will definitely look into it for when I have to pay the balance.

Jeff thinks its about a 3 week wait! Depressing!

Oh that''s is cool about the o/s help. Where is BGD located? I know it says Central Time on their site. I have a feeling that they are in Texas too.

Big help, I am getting the warm and fuzzies too! Or is it because, each day it is bringing my pendants to me! LOL

Hi lass - BGD are in Houston, Texas.

How exciting, a new Jeff White gem! That is reasonably quick for his turn-around actually. You will usually get at least 2 - 3cents better rate from Ozforex than from Paypal or the banks I''ve found - adds up on big purchases!

Good luck with your pendants, let us know how things go
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif
Ditto that, this is a fantastic thread and I would like to congratulate you AJ, Lestat and everyone that participated!! You did a fantastic job and really went above and beyond to help others, well done!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
awwww, shucks cheers Lozza! Well, that makes us in good company
2.gif
41.gif

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! I never would have considered free trade in Australia except for the fact that I''m originally from Canada and knew of NAFTA, so I wondered if there was a similar agreement here in Australia. It''s great to be able to help spread the news to other Australians and to the American vendors selling to them! More power to the people!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ and Lestat, you are both so welcome! It is threads like this which make Pricescope great!! I have asked for the Helpful Thread sticky to be unlocked and will be adding this to the thread for permanent reference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results