shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom band does not match work order- noticed 1 year later?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
A well known vender was sizing my e-ring so at the same time I asked him to make me a matching band. The pave of my e-ring is graduated and the narrowest part in back is 2.1 mm and the widest part 2.6mm. After an email chain back and forth about what the best width would be- we agreed to make the band 2.4 mm wide and that is what it states in the work order. When the ring came It did look thinner than my e-ring band at its widest place, but figured that was my fault because I requested 2.4 instead of 2.6mm. The pave work was nice so I have been wearing the ring for over one year.

I just got a digital diamond caliber and for fun was looking at my rings and I discover the band is only 2.1mm wide. The original price of the band was the same if it were in the range of 2.0-2.50mm so it is not like he overcharged me.

But now what exactly should I say since I have been wearing the ring for so long! Would you ask for it to be remade? I never wanted a 2.1 mm band and I wanted a 2.4 mm band, but obviously I have lived with the error unknowingly for quite a while!

What should I say?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Custom band does not match work order- noticed 1 year la

Would I? No. If I didn't notice for a year, I wouldnt feel the need to return it, not would I expect the vendor to refund me.

But stranger things have happened

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Niel. I think with any purchase, 30 days is reasonable, but not longer than that, unless there is a defect of some kind. Since your e-ring is 2.1mm in the smallest part, did you not notice that this ring is the same width as that?

I'd like to see a picture of both rings together, just out of curiosity.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Having worn it for a year, have you liked it and been satisfied with it? If so, I would just enjoy it. If you've felt something was off the whole time, then I suppose you could kindly bring it up with the jeweler and just see what he/she says. I'm assuming if you had noticed it right away, you would not have asked for a refund, rather you would have had it remade to be 2.4mm. If that's the case, then I guess it's not hugely different to remake it now vs then unless the price of metal is way different? But it if you've enjoyed it all this time, I would just keep enjoying it!! ::)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you feel compelled to say something, I'd suggest telling them that you love the band, that you got a digital caliper and was playing around with it and noticed that it's not as wide as specified in the work order, and that you are only bringing it to the vendor's attention just so that they are aware that maybe they need to tighten up their QC process. IDK... lololol. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results