shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion lovers please respond...need help choosing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am torn between a cushion brilliant and a H and A round brilliant. I have watched several videos form GOG and while they are great, I still can''t decide. I want the biggest and brightest stone I can afford in the G color/SI-1 range. I like the faceting of the cushions, but am not sure if they will perform as well as I would like (maybe with one of those "rare" ones Jon talks about?) I also wonder which would look bigger on my finger if they are the same carat weight and both well cut. Does it require buying a larger cushion to get the same look size-wise of a round? Unfortunately, I don''t live near GOG to see in person and I was hoping someone that has looked at the cushions could give me some help. Thanks for any advice!
face1.gif

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
have you thought about GOG''s square cushion h&a diamonds? Light performance of a round hearts and arrows but the shape of a cushion

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 9:16:22 AM
Author:rainierinspring
I am torn between a cushion brilliant and a H and A round brilliant. I have watched several videos form GOG and while they are great, I still can't decide. I want the biggest and brightest stone I can afford in the G color/SI-1 range. I like the faceting of the cushions, but am not sure if they will perform as well as I would like (maybe with one of those 'rare' ones Jon talks about?) I also wonder which would look bigger on my finger if they are the same carat weight and both well cut. Does it require buying a larger cushion to get the same look size-wise of a round? Unfortunately, I don't live near GOG to see in person and I was hoping someone that has looked at the cushions could give me some help. Thanks for any advice!
face1.gif
Look at the diameters of each diamond to compare sizes. If you aren't sure then ask Jon what else he can come up with, he might be able to source you what you want if he doesn't have it in stock. Hold on as well to see if Pix, Neatfreak and some of the other cushion enthusiasts might be able to give you some more input.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! Hopefully some others will chime in. I don''t think the square H and A would give me the pillowy shape...and with that faceting I may as well get a round brilliant. I like the look of the cushion brilliant faceting pattern. Just don''t know if they perform too much less than the RB. I realize the dimensions would have to be known, but I thought maybe the pillow shape of a cushion requires more carat weight to look the same size as a round.....which would make them more expensive??
33.gif

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
i think you will find that alot of if not most cushions will face-up smaller than their RB counterparts of the same weight. as for optical performance, i think in general you will see what may be termed as better light performance from a well-cut RB. if that is what you are after you may be best served by going after a RB. not that there are not cushions out there that have awesome optics, as I have seen plenty. but if you are looking to go as big and sparkly as possible, i think a RB may be what you are looking for. my sense is that cushion hunters (such as myself), while always looking for size and performance, also seek a certain character and uniqueness that a cushion can provide. there is no right or wrong, it''s just about priorities and what you are really after.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Are RB stones priced higher than cushions? If both are well cut? That might be the trade off when it comes to size of stone. I do like the idea of having something a bit more unique.....If I go that route, would there be any advantage of working with Mark from ERD over Jon at GOG? I won''t be able to visit either one..
face11.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion lover here!! You can find almost identical H&A RBs but you'd be hard pressed to find 2 identical cushions. How's that for uniqueness? Jon from GoG and Mark from ERD really know their cushions so I wouldnt worry if I were you.

Check out this thread on various cushions:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

Check out the optics on Fatafelice's cushion... Prepare to be blown away...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-icy-white-cushion.45671/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:49:18 PM
Author: rainierinspring
Are RB stones priced higher than cushions? If both are well cut? That might be the trade off when it comes to size of stone. I do like the idea of having something a bit more unique.....If I go that route, would there be any advantage of working with Mark from ERD over Jon at GOG? I won't be able to visit either one..
face11.gif
Both are great at finding cushions, but the advantage to GOG is the videos he will do. That's big for me, but may not be for you.

Here's an example of round vs. cushion. Rounds run more per carat, but have more spread.

1.35 F VS2 cushion with a diameter of 6.33, cost with bankwire is 8,803.00

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5558/

vs.

1.36 F VS2 round with a diameter of 7.10, cost with bankwire is 12,566.00

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4949/

I don't know what your budget is, but if you stick to the G-H range and SI1-SI2, that will allow you more size. Also, don't focus as much on the symmetry and polish of cushions (they don't have an actual cut grade), many great ones we have seen only have Good. Fancies are different than rounds in that respect.
28.gif

HTH!

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for your input! As luck would have it, someone on this forum is getting a cushion that sounds fabulous. It was brought in from CA but is now less than 30 minutes from my house!
36.gif
I am going to try to see it within the week. The store also has another style of cushion for comparison as well as the usual round brilliants. This may give me the best opportunity to decide what I would really want. I can always order from GOG, etc. later if I am comfortable with what I am trying to find!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good luck to you rainier!

Keep fresh in your mind what you''ve viewed and if possible ask to see the diamonds in natural ambient light (or diffused/office) as well as spot lighting (jewelry store).

All the best,

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Rhino! I really wish you were closer!
21.gif
I have watched many, make that most or all , of your videos about cushions. It makes my head swim. If I could find one that really lit up I think I would choose it over a RB. Decisions, decisions.....
20.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I understand the quandry. As some have suggested the Square Cushion H&A''s quench that desire. The spread isn''t as large as a round but if you love cushion and are looking for the rarest optics you''d be doing yourself a disservice to not view one alongside any kind of cushion you look at. Many times client who come to the store to view the handpicked cushions we feature then compare it alongside SqCushion H&A opt for a slightly lower clarity/color SqCush H&A hands down. If there is any way I can help or make it easier for you to see any kind of comparison you''d like to view let me know. Otherwise good luck on your search!

Kind regards,

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! Unless I''m wrong, the square cushion H and A would look almost like a RB to me. It wouldn''t have the pillowy shape, correct? One thing I have learned is that I don''t really care for the super ideal cuts that have come out. Soooooooo many facets look too busy to me. I think it either has to be the cushion brilliant or round brilliant H and A. I hopefully will know the answer to that after seeing a good cushion this week. Are the more square cushions usually brighter (more expensive) than slightly elongated ones? Just wondering if that matters.
20.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The square H&A would have the cushion outline but the facets will not be the chunky style due to the H&A cuttinh. It looks like a round H&A in a square shape to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results