shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut proportions

thedrif

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm engagement ring searching and like the idea of alternative diamonds. She likes cushion cut and I found the following diamond. Although the seller claims the cut quality as "very good," it seems to me to have proportions that are unusual. Could someone with more experience than me give me some guidance on this?

Msmnts: 7.28x5.73x3.48 mm
Depth 60.7%
Table 59%
Crown height 15%
Pavilion depth 40.5%
Med to thick girdle, faceted
No culet

I tried the Holloway Cut Advisor which said it was out of spec, but I understand that is for round diamonds only. Is there a cut advisor for cushion cut?

Thanks.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate - I'm in the trade, and forum rules say I can't comment on individual stones... but in general, to make a decision, you can't go off numbers with cushion cuts (or most other fancy shapes) - there is no consensus on what makes a nice looking cushion, so there are a wide range of variations on facet arrangement/face-up shape/etc. No, there is not a cut adviser for any shape other than round. With cushions, it really is a personal choice as to what you'll (she'll) find aesthetically pleasing. PS members will be asking for images to help you with your decision, so if you can get from the vendor that would be very helpful.
Another PS member put up this info a few years ago...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]
...and while some of the info is debatable, it will give you a good place to start from.
Hope this helps

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are unable to see it in person, the usual place to start would be by asking vendors for ASET images and images. This page has links to threads and guides which will give you some ideas of what to look for.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/cushion-cut-diamond

But as said, there is no consensus of what makes a good cushion and lots of different actual cuts that are cushion-shaped. Since your lady has said she likes cushions, you can ask her if she can clarify what sort of cushion she likes and match it to the info in the guides. That at least would help you narrow down the proportions and facet patterns to something you actually want.

thedrif

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Since I am looking at laboratory grown diamonds, it has been more difficult to find them in person and many of the online retailers do not have great James Allen-esque pictures, thus I have been looking at numbers and working to extrapolate what I am least likely to use the 30 day return policy on.

Already you've helped me associate the cushion modified brilliant with the "crushed ice" "pinfire" look, and I do prefer the larger facets with the "old mine" look. Alas, the cushion modified brilliant is much more common...

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could contact Good Old Gold and ask them if they can get a lab grown August Vintage Cushion. That may take some time, and it won't be the cheapest way to go. But you will know exactly what you are getting, and it will be the type you like, and it will be superbly cut.

Your second best choice would be to find a jeweler that has access to more info or a bunch of stones in stock. Not sure who that would be. Maybe a local Pure Grown dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results