shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mintyblu06

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I''m looking for a cushion cut diamond and want to see if my specs I''m looking for are realistic. I appreciate any comments!!

1ct+ (I care more about the length/width size than the carat!)
dimensions around 7.5 x 5.5 x 3.5
ratio: around 1.3
Clarity: SI1 (no eye visible inclusions)
Color: Colorless (D, E, F)
Cut: Excellent/Ideal
Cutlet: small or none
Fluorescence: (I haven''t yet seen a colorless stone with fluorescence in person, but if I wouldn''t be able to tell, then I don''t mind it!)
Stone Budget: $5000

I''m looking for a cushion brillant, not a modern cushion brillant.

Sidenote:
I would love a Henri Daussi cushion! If anyone knows what this branded cut would go for in or around my specs, I''d appreciate the input!!! I recently saw a Daussi cushion: 1.26, H, SI1 with no visible inclusions, with about the same dimensions as above for $8500 with the setting (which was around $3100). So, $5400 for the stone. I loved the stone except for the color though! It was too yellow for my taste.

Can''t wait to see what everyone has to say!! Thanks!!!

3.gif

dmj916

Rough_Rock
I did not go with a cushion cut, I went with a princess cut. But I was able to get a great diamond from Michael Greene & Co. I live in Sacramento, CA. Not sure, but he might be able to send you some info on the cushion cut and you might be able to get a reasonable price and they are very knowledgable...I need much assistance!!!....www.michaelgreene.com

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi minty,

Since you are asking for comments, I will throw a few in, that hopefully help!

Don''t rule out SI2''s, there are some stones still eyeclean at that level. Not saying you''ll find one, but don''t automatically rule them out.

Unless you are highly sensitive to color/warmth, G is a great way to get more size/less money spent.

On cut, if you look through the cushion threads here, you''ll find many with Good to Very good, and they can be truly beautiful. With fancies, the cut grade is not as important as it is to many on rounds..

Culet is somewhat personal, many love med. to large. Just depends on what you like the look of, and some of it will be determined by the cut of the stone.

Fluorescence should not be noticeable until you get to Strong, and even then, possibly only in sunlight/under a blacklight.

Are you wanting to purchase locally or online?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 7:11:17 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi minty,

Since you are asking for comments, I will throw a few in, that hopefully help!

Don''t rule out SI2''s, there are some stones still eyeclean at that level. Not saying you''ll find one, but don''t automatically rule them out.

Unless you are highly sensitive to color/warmth, G is a great way to get more size/less money spent.

On cut, if you look through the cushion threads here, you''ll find many with Good to Very good, and they can be truly beautiful. With fancies, the cut grade is not as important as it is to many on rounds..

Culet is somewhat personal, many love med. to large. Just depends on what you like the look of, and some of it will be determined by the cut of the stone.

Fluorescence should not be noticeable until you get to Strong, and even then, possibly only in sunlight/under a blacklight.

Are you wanting to purchase locally or online?
Ditto the above, what a helpful post!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*in my best Elvis impersonation*

Why thank ya, thank ya very much!

Mintyblu06

Rough_Rock
I''d prefer to purchase locally (Atlanta area), but I''m willing to purchase online if I can''t find what I''m looking for locally. Also- I''m a little unsure of going SI1 or SI2 with online....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 8:31:14 AM

I hope you are doing his Vegas pose while you say that.....
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 10:27:05 AM
Author: Mintyblu06
I''d prefer to purchase locally (Atlanta area), but I''m willing to purchase online if I can''t find what I''m looking for locally. Also- I''m a little unsure of going SI1 or SI2 with online....

With the SI clarities, the key is to make your expectations very clear to the vendor you are working with, some SI may be eyeclean and others may not pass muster. For example, if you don''t want to see any visible inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny then let the vendor know so you understand each other, in this way you might find an SI clarity which might suit you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:33:47 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/6/2009 10:27:05 AM
Author: Mintyblu06
I'd prefer to purchase locally (Atlanta area), but I'm willing to purchase online if I can't find what I'm looking for locally. Also- I'm a little unsure of going SI1 or SI2 with online....

With the SI clarities, the key is to make your expectations very clear to the vendor you are working with, some SI may be eyeclean and others may not pass muster. For example, if you don't want to see any visible inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny then let the vendor know so you understand each other, in this way you might find an SI clarity which might suit you.
Agreed.

I can understand wanting to try locally first. You may find that many jewelerrs don't have a lot of cushions in stock, so don't be surprised if that happens. And there are several different cuts/looks to cushions. You might want to read up on them here, if you haven't already.

Also, if you want to try locally, I would strongly recommend buying an ASET scope (bottom left corner), this will help tremendously, as one can't really tell how a diamond will look/perform in just jewelers lighting.
28.gif

http://www.ideal-scope.com/

And a link on why this will be helpful.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-we-prefer-aset-to-ideal-scope-with-fancy-shapes.73949/

If you can't find anything, or decide to shop online, we can give you a couple jewelers to go to that are known for cushions. HTH!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:30:59 AM

9.gif
AND in my white pantsuit!
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 10:54:24 AM

Date: 2/6/2009 10:30:59 AM

9.gif
AND in my white pantsuit!
31.gif
I hope it has a sparkling cape......
9.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Stop in your blue suede shoes ladies!

Ellen, I''m going to presume you meant finish grades here rather than cut grade, since labs don''t give a cut grade to cushions?

And Lorelei, The King wore blue-white, not cape (and you two are seriously far more ''pert than ''sumer if you get that one!).

Thank you, a-thank you verra much.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 11:20:21 AM
Author: John Pollard

Stop in your blue suede shoes ladies!

Ellen, I''m going to presume you meant finish grades here rather than cut grade, since labs don''t give a cut grade to cushions?

And Lorelei, The King wore blue-white, not cape (and you two are seriously far more ''pert than ''sumer if you get that one!).

Thank you, a-thank you verra much.
Oopsie, I did. I do know that, not sure why I said that.
unsure3.gif

Sorry for the confusion!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2009 11:36:09 AM
unsure3.gif

Sorry for the confusion!
I knew what you meant. I wasn''t "all shook up."

(Would Elvis call conflict diamonds "Jailhouse Rocks?")

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 11:45:35 AM

unsure3.gif

Sorry for the confusion!
I knew what you meant. I wasn't 'all shook up.'

(Would Elvis call conflict diamonds 'Jailhouse Rocks?')
You are a Hard Headed Woman Miss Ellen!
11.gif

LOL Jailhouse Rocks!!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 11:45:35 AM

unsure3.gif

Sorry for the confusion!
I knew what you meant. I wasn't 'all shook up.'

(Would Elvis call conflict diamonds 'Jailhouse Rocks?')
Har!
9.gif

And Lorelei, I am not hard headed. I'm just a hunka hunka burnin love, waaaaaa.
lol.gif

I crack myself up sometimes.
9.gif

Ok, we better have "a little less conversation", we're threadjacikng!
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results