shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut diamond on order but last minute review

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Hi All - firstly would like to thank you all for maintaining such a forum as for people like me who have no idea but want the best value, it really is priceless information.

So on with it ....... I have placed an order with JA for the below diamond (although yet to confirm order and pay) but with last minute cold feet I looked on B2C as I have seen a few people reference on here and found these other two diamonds (with pictures) that are about the same price and either have better couloir, clarity and size.

If anybody has thoughts on whether the JA is still the best or whether I should keep researching I look forward to reading them.

JA - http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-779146

B2C -
I) http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8012983-2.03-carat-Cushion-diamond-F-color-VVS2-clarity.aspx
II) http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7901186-2.01-carat-Cushion-diamond-E-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

Any other recommendations for below criteria also welcome but ideally like ones with pictures.

Shape - Cushion
Colour - G or better
Clarity - VS2 or better
Carat - 2+
Ratio - 1.1 or around there
Max $ - 18,250

Also don't see much love for crushed ice on this forum, is this something to avoid?

Thanks again
Jake

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As someone who gave up a cushion because I hated the crushed ice... I would not do the JA or 1st b2c one. The second is ok, but not a square....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will pick stones for you. Don't order anything till we get a chance to help you. I can't do it till later tonight so be patient and keep your money to youself for now.

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Much appreciated Gypsy I will keep my wallet on lock down

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes Gypsy will do the best! Are you sure you want a cushion? Even the nicer ones I have found are much less brilliant / sparkly than the rounds you can do a round in a cushion setting which gives the same look but is more brilliant. Just a thought.... I had a round for 15 years and upgraded to cushion. Even when looking at better cushions there was just no comparison.

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately my gf has dropped many hints that she loves cushion cuts so I'm afraid to move away from that shape but thanks for the thought

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
JJJackson|1460680728|4019466 said:
Also don't see much love for crushed ice on this forum, is this something to avoid?

Thanks again
Jake

Hey mate
Cushions come in a wide variety of facet arrangements (4 main / 8 main / etc) and face-up shapes (square / rectangle / etc) which will give off a variety of different looks. The great thing about fancy shapes is that there is no set standard for what makes a beautiful stone. There are opinions and personal preferences as to what the 'best' cut is for a cushion...but that's all that they are. For example there are cushion cuts out there that display H&A which aesthetically I'm not a big fan of personally - but can I say it's not a good cushion...nope - - or would I ever tell someone that they have poor taste in cushion cuts just because they might like it...nope. So while there are certain issues to be aware of when looking at cushions (effective light return / value for money / excess & unnecessary weight / symmetry / how it might compare with equivalent stones / etc.) it's really about what is aesthetically pleasing to you or the person receiving the diamond - - there is no right or wrong.
Hope this helps

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cushion it is then! There are a few nice ones on JA but I'll leave it to gypsy to make the suggestions!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JJJackson|1460685665|4019503 said:
Unfortunately my gf has dropped many hints that she loves cushion cuts so I'm afraid to move away from that shape but thanks for the thought
Ah, I was about to ask if this purchase was for yourself or someone else. Think it's likely your GF's preference for cushions is actually for the so-called "crushed ice" ones because those are infinitely better known & more popular in the "real world" outside of PriceScope. Does she have a Pinterest board where she has posted pics of diamonds-rings, so you could see what she has found appealing?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutme77|1460687912|4019514 said:
Gypsy will find you a wonderful cushion but an example of chunky is probably something closer to this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.05-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-1052788

I'm only first learning about diamonds but from what I understand the crushed ice will give you more pinpoint flashes whereas the cushions with mains and chunkier cushions will give broader flashes.

As stated previously there are lots of flavors. The above is super chunky antique style.

The most popular cushion style is a modern faceted stone like a Novo from Tiffany. Or HW The One. So a modern 8 or 4 main that is not chunky OR crushed ice.

And those have lots of nice, high performance, options on the market right now. So that's where I would focus your attention.

And while I do that, what setting style does she want?

Also, this thread will help you, I think: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-ring-search-30k.218669/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-ring-search-30k.218669/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ignore vendor's cut score. Put the ones you like on hold. It's no cost and no obligation. We get lots of lurkers here who steal stones out from under posters.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-2-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-83K8S6 only about 50 bucks over budget and first choice.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-03-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-U7N1SJ Also lovely.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-04-Carat-F-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-LYG8RZ

One SI1 option as well: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-01-Carat-F-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-5VGPBJ

I'll pick a couple options from JA as well. But at the price you are spending I would only buy a stone with an ASET. So if JA can't get you an ASET, pass on the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback\

Unfortunately my gf has no Pinterest board but she isn't very subtle with her hints when she sent Me this photo of a ring she likes

So I'm planning a 3 stone ring and paved band with the cushion as the center, I'm undecided on sides at the moment but was leaning toward shields or calf head

_1106.png

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Gypsy I never knew about ED I really like the look of your second option and the ratio is good enough for me, also saves me some cash

I very much like the first one too but it might be a beginner thing but I get slightly worried by the visible inclusion on the face from the photo

I assume ED is just as reputable as JA and should not be concerned with buying from them?

Thanks again

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No concerns at all with ED.

WOW. She really picked an expensive engagement ring didn't she! Lovely though. I would do step cut trapezoids. That's what is pictured and what will go best with the center. This project might be of interest to you: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cad-help-5-stone-ring-rb-w-traps-and-bullets.221642/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cad-help-5-stone-ring-rb-w-traps-and-bullets.221642/[/URL]

You may want to consider CBV, the vendor in that thread for your setting. Although personally, I'd recommend Victor Canera or Brilliantly Engaged as well. Those are carre cut stones in the shank by the way. Not pave. Carrre cuts like that will make the ring very hard to size. Pave isn't easy to size. But you can size it, so it's a better choice in that respect but pave is fragile. What might be best though is the 5 stone ring style that Veltiesmom is considering. It will be sizeable. Will give her the coverage across her whole finger. It has the step cut look of the carre's without the sizing issues. And avoids the fragility of pave.

That setting is going to cost you 5-6k, so any savings is a good idea on the stone! I really like the one you picked. I only posted it as a second choice because the other maximized both budget and size.

And 'not subtle' you'll realize is near and dear to our hearts. Many of us were less than subtle with our partners as well. ;))

Your lady is lucky that you are willing and able to get her the ring of her dreams. It's going to be beautiful. I really do recommend you consider just copying Veltiesmom's 5 stone though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be clear copying 5 stone setting but with cushion center you picked.

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
This has been fantastic thank you for comments and recommendations!

That 5 stone does look amazing so mixes things up in not mind but I have the master piece now I need the frame.

Will let you know what I'm thinking when I've took a look at those recommended sites / jewellers

And yes she is a lucky lady haha I just need to be as subtle as she was about how much time I spent getting this sorted

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah! Beautiful choice!!!!!

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Hi All - thought I would update you on where I'm at now.

I actually bought the recommended diamond and it's fantastic I can't thank you enough for the time spent looking for me.

I have now sat down with one of my local jewlers and designed the ring based of the one my gf kindly hinted. Please see the 3D render below. The only difference is the diamonds on the band which are round melee rather than the square cut.

Would welcome any feedback at the minute I like it except I'm not sure about where the band meets the traps and goes verticle I'm wondering whether I just have the band continue in the circular path and meet against the side of the trap.

Thanks again
Jake

_4052.jpeg

_4053.jpeg

_4054.jpeg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
can i say that i'm not a fan? Not loving the round melee at all. In the inspiration picture, you get a sense of sharp, sleek lines and i think the round melee takes away from that modern, sleek look. Same with the profile too i think. I would picture something less fluid and rounded for the gallery of the inspiration ring you posted.

This is the feel i i get from the inspiration picture (minus the miligrain)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation.161471/

or this VC

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/three-stone-cushion-and-trapezoid-trilogy

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Hi Farrahlyn - of course I would like honest replies

You know what I hated the idea of round melee when the jewler suggested it because it adds in another shape with no clean edge but I just wonder that it's more obvious in a enlarged render than would be in actual size. I do agree I think the idea was to be clean cut with nice angles and I know that's was my gf would prefer.

I'm gonna get them to do another 3D with square diamonds in the band and more classic basket rather than the "organic" shape

Will repost when I get it

Thnx

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I love the basket and the shank. I'm not a fan of the channeled rounds on the shank though.

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and thanks again on the diamond choice

I will admit the main reason we went with an "organic" basket as he calls it is because I wanted direct view of the diamond particularly because it's cushion the side depth view is half of the bleeding thing.

My Mother also thinks the square cut on the shank would be better so I'm getting a new render

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do step cuts in the shank. Baguettes or Carre cuts.

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Hi All - got the new render of the initial change away from round to Square step cut in the shank. I agree this looks better Altho not sure if the image does it full justice.

I think I like the basket particularly as it was my preference to see the side profile of the diamond I'm still reserved by the shoulder where the shank meets the trap. Wondering whether would prefer it to be a continuation of the curve from the ring and have a bit of a step rather than a distinct curve to join. Tried to draw what I meant below as well as the new render

Thnx again

_1221.png

_1222.png

_4179.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much better. Although I don't understand the drawing. The step cuts look great though!

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
I knew I hadn't explained it very well

I'm and still unsure whether the shank should curve upward into almost vertical to meet the trap? I'm wondering what people's thoughts are if the band continues on a circular path and meets the claw of the trap and leaves a step.

My drawing is an attempt to show where the circular shank would meet the claw

Hope that helps

JJJackson

Rough_Rock
Attempt on Microsoft paint

_4180.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results