shape
carat
color
clarity

Cry-ins, play-doh etc. at colleges

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just ridiculous and what comes of raising kids with helicopter parenting and trophies for everyone. These are "adults" supposedly. I would have been told to "rub some dirt on it" and work toward changing it if you don't like it. Did anyone ask for these special things when Obama won in 2008? There were plenty of people unhappy with that election but "they were racist" according to the left.

Snowflakes and these are our future. SMH

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
100% agree.

And the way some of the so called adults are carrying on here, I do worry for the next generation.

We are raising a group of very fragile people who simply cannot cope when they do not get their way.

And it is funny because I have gotten comments that people like me the older generation will soon be gone and that would be a good thing.

In my generation we picked ourselves up by our boot straps and did what we had to do. If we got knocked down, we got back up. We did not need play doh and safe rooms.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1478806061|4096468 said:
This is just ridiculous and what comes of raising kids with helicopter parenting and trophies for everyone. These are "adults" supposedly. I would have been told to "rub some dirt on it" and work toward changing it if you don't like it. Did anyone ask for these special things when Obama won in 2008? There were plenty of people unhappy with that election but "they were racist" according to the left.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

Wouldn't you have felt happier, overall, if someone had taken the time to care about your feelings as a kid? I was raised by "get over it" parents (actually a lot worse, but whatever) and I've started to enjoy this new attitude toward feelings. I like caring about people's feelings, and I very much like people caring about my feelings. It's nice. :dance:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1478806845|4096480 said:
redwood66|1478806061|4096468 said:

Wouldn't you have felt happier, overall, if someone had taken the time to care about your feelings as a kid? I was raised by "get over it" parents (actually a lot worse, but whatever) and I've started to enjoy this new attitude toward feelings. I like caring about people's feelings, and I very much like people caring about my feelings. It's nice. :dance:

But at what point does it become a hindrance? I think we are there if this is an indication. It appears the pendulum has swung in the other direction and I can't help but think this will be worse in the future. It might be silly of me but life is not all happiness and its the hard times that teach you to endure IMO.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Trump is the one that stirred up the emotions in this election. This is the result. I can understand it. :|

But I do think coloring books for adults are idiotic. Have you seen those? I want to stomp on them every time I see them in stores.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1478807202|4096485 said:
Trump is the one that stirred up the emotions in this election. This is the result. I can understand it. :|

But I do think coloring books for adults are idiotic. Have you seen those? I want to stomp on them every time I see them in stores.
No way really? I have never seen those. :rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like being nice to people, too. I agree with your previous comment above. Coloring books being enraging, though? What exactly is it about them that makes them seem idiotic? How are they different from crosswords, word searches, etc? Soduko? I have used coloring books since 18 as part of eating disorder therapy. This past winter I used one to help me through a bout of anxiety. It focuses me without using meds. So I don't see what's dumb about them at all. In fact I think they are probably one of the healthiest forms of self-help there is.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478807402|4096489 said:

I'll post pics of mine. I like to color with my 4 year old. If that isn't healthy, not sure what is.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood, I agree with you. Some of what I'm seeing and hearing is weird. in 2008 when Obama was elected, I do remember some echoes of this, but not to this magnitude (it was mostly from folks saying they were going to leave the US...easy to say, hard to do)

From my own personal standpoint I knew it was going to be bad or worse. Take your pick who is bad and who is worse :lol:

America is a country of resiliency...or used to be. You'd think the boogieman ate their halloween candy the way some folks are going on.

Now is not the time to fall apart. pick up, assess, move forward because there is too much work to do.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Joanna Basford's very popular The Secret Garden. I use regular old colored pencils. Some people use glitter inks, gels, all kinds of media.

People have used coloring to ease anxiety, focus attention, tune fine motor skills, stop smoking, all kinds of things. Plus, they are art when they're finished. If you google any of the titles of Basford's and look at the images, oh my. Beautiful stuff.

img_13530.jpg

img_13531.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was raised by abusive narcissists and I stopped talking about my 'feelings' at a very young age because of the denial and lies at worst and being told to "get over it" at best. I will note, however, that THEIR feelings were so PARAMOUNT that we all walked on eggshells around my mother and father so as not to set them off :lol:

Abusive bullies love the "get over it" response to being called out for their abuse. Take the focus OFF them and ONTO YOU.

Fark that.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:

I like being nice to people, too. I agree with your previous comment above. Coloring books being enraging, though? What exactly is it about them that makes them seem idiotic? How are they different from crosswords, word searches, etc? Soduko? I have used coloring books since 18 as part of eating disorder therapy. This past winter I used one to help me through a bout of anxiety. It focuses me without using meds. So I don't see what's dumb about them at all. In fact I think they are probably one of the healthiest forms of self-help there is.

Figures I would put my foot in my mouth with someone I like. :knockout: I can understand pretty much anything if it's a helpful therapy. I very much enjoyed the therapy duck that was on airplane (all over the net). Whatever works, awesome, go for it. Sorry, I didn't think of that.

I guess the coloring books (not as a therapy) bother me because I think people should take that time to draw and sketch their own original artwork. But I'm biased as the majority of my family has MFA's and various art degrees.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot read the full article, but my very large international corporate company always provides: baby boxes of playdoh (like Halloween sized), various pipecleaners, and other things during our meetings. This is to help the 'handsy' people have something to do with their hands while they are in training/meetings. They did some sort of study that it helps people pay attention because they can focus on what's being said rather than their innate urge to fidget haha.

I also believe we will get further in life while actually caring about the feelings of our fellow citizens, rather than telling them to suck it up.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, my sister has a coloring book. Sure it helps her take her mind off her disease. they do have their place, but I still think the darn things are goofy as fug. :lol: IMO its OK to have opinions, they're like *******s...most of us have one ;-) And I do lots of weird geeky stuff too...thats goofy as fug. I don't care, I own it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1478807836|4096498 said:
I was raised by abusive narcissists and I stopped talking about my 'feelings' at a very young age because of the denial and lies at worst and being told to "get over it" at best. I will note, however, that THEIR feelings were so PARAMOUNT that we all walked on eggshells around my mother and father so as not to set them off :lol:

Abusive bullies love the "get over it" response to being called out for their abuse. Take the focus OFF them and ONTO YOU.

Fark that.

So true.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1478807836|4096498 said:

Fark that.

THIS.

I have coloring books. For someone with an anxiety disorder like me, who has problems mediating, coloring gives my brain a break and lets me have peace.

It's called empathy. Get some.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When did I say anything about not caring about feelings? It is so all or nothing with many of you. If you do not teach a child to deal with disappointment then you are doing them a disservice. My sons were the biggest smart nerds in school who were bullied but they made it out of high school alive and I always told them that those people won't mean a hill of beans in two years.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1478807603|4096495 said:
redwood66|1478807402|4096489 said:

I'll post pics of mine. I like to color with my 4 year old. If that isn't healthy, not sure what is.

That wasn't what I was talking about Monnie and you are smart enough to know that.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cried, privately. I was raped and as a result I cried when that thing was voted into the highest office in the land. But I should probably just STFU about that and soldier on. What a special snowflake I am.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't used an adult coloring book yet, but I covet the one I bought for my daughter. (She is 24, not 4, by the way.) My brother turned me on to them. He has two highly functioning daughters. The one for whom he bought the coloring book is an assistant film editor in Hollywood who works 14 hour days or longer often seven days a week. She also volunteers in an animal shelter and runs the local chapter of The Rotary Club for young people (called Rotaract) doing a lot of service in a local soup kitchen with them. She is no special snowflake!
I am pro-coloring book!

Deb :wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478811270|4096531 said:
When did I say anything about not caring about feelings? It is so all or nothing with many of you. If you do not teach a child to deal with disappointment then you are doing them a disservice. My sons were the biggest smart nerds in school who were bullied but they made it out of high school alive and I always told them that those people won't mean a hill of beans in two years.
Hey red,

One would tell you that these kids ARE dealing with their disappointment. They are letting their feelings out in a safe environment via "cry-ins" or they are using art therapy. This is much better than stuffing feelings and having them come out in an unhealthy way later...drugs, risky sex, cutting, anxiety, health issues.

The world is changing. We are trying new ways of managing our feelings. Just because it looks weird or different doesn't mean it is unacceptable.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except they are adults not kids.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1478816522|4096563 said:
Except they are adults not kids.

I am going to use your own mantra against you here red.

Don't judge them just because you don't understand how they were raised.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are definitely going to agree to disagree on this point. I hope these students are going into only pleasant careers, not lawyers, corporate world, or law enforcement, etc.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL for days at the notion that adults shouldn't explore healthy ways to deal with negative emotions. Ever been married to someone who didn't know to handle such things? You might find yourself a little less smug about the crying.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I couldn't read the entire article because I don't subscribe to the paper. I think there is a difference between the safe rooms and trigger warnings that have come under scrutiny and the provision of time and space for students to mourn a major national event or a local one that affects a large audience. We provided time and space for our staff and students after 9/11 and after the deaths of well regarded staff members. What I don't agree with is when freedom of thought and speech are compromised and I support the efforts of institutions such as the Univ. of Chicago which is attempting to reverse that trend. Crying time and play doh don't fall into that category for me. I grew up in the school of hard knocks and am grateful that it prepared me for dealing with life's negatives but it doesn't work that way for everyone.

https://www.chicagomaroon.com/2016/08/24/university-to-freshmen-dont-expect-safe-spaces-or-trigger-warnings/

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478819402|4096587 said:
LOL for days at the notion that adults shouldn't explore healthy ways to deal with negative emotions. Ever been married to someone who didn't know to handle such things? You might find yourself a little less smug about the crying.

I think there would be far less crime in the world were it ok for boys to cry and for people in general to be comfortable with their emotions. Let's see...husband #1=break things, scream, binge on alcohol/drugs, threaten and verbally abuse me. Husband #2=completely shut down after compartmentalizing things that happened to him in his youth, now can't deal with anything emotional, totally unavailable in that regard. But yes, let us eschew play-doh and coloring and keep on telling people to toughen up.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1478819990|4096593 said:
Red, I couldn't read the entire article because I don't subscribe to the paper. I think there is a difference between the safe rooms and trigger warnings that have come under scrutiny and the provision of time and space for students to mourn a major national event or a local one that affects a large audience. We provided time and space for our staff and students after 9/11 and after the deaths of well regarded staff members. What I don't agree with is when freedom of thought and speech are compromised and I support the efforts of institutions such as the Univ. of Chicago which is attempting to reverse that trend. Crying time and play doh don't fall into that category for me. I grew up in the school of hard knocks and am grateful that it prepared me for dealing with life's negatives but it doesn't work that way for everyone.

https://www.chicagomaroon.com/2016/08/24/university-to-freshmen-dont-expect-safe-spaces-or-trigger-warnings/

Good on Chicago!

While I understand that it does not work that way for everyone many colleges have been picketed and complained about when conservative speakers are to speak (even disinvited). Students complained at numerous colleges about Trump campaign paraphernalia. It has to work both ways or it is just a sham. The outcome of an election can hardly compare to 9/11 and if it does then something is truly wrong here.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1478811270|4096531 said:

You didn't say anything about not caring about feelings, but it will be interpreted as such anyways ;-)
Yes, I agree with the ridiculousness of it all. Since our young people in colleges are so overwhelmed and stressed, maybe we should just give them all participation diplomas and call it a year :lol:
At some point, we need to put our big girl/guy pants on and deal with the world around us. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It's called life.
For what it's worth, I don't have an issue with coloring books (or play-doh). I have used adult coloring books and enjoy them, but I'm kind of artsy, so I get into that kind of thing.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Seriously? Now we're hating on adult coloring books? :-o I have several and they are very therapeutic and calming and I enjoy them very much. I guess that makes me an idiot, too, along with all the other things I've been called in most of these threads. :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results