color
clarity

Cry-ins, play-doh etc. at colleges

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478869598|4096893 said:
Elliot86|1478866680|4096872 said:
Thanks Callie. It speaks volumes to me that even just on an online forum I disclosed something extremely personal in an effort to show *why* I and so many others feel a certain way, and it was marched right over. Not an acknowledgement, not a pause as a fellow human being to say "Look, we don't see eye to eye on the politics of this but I'm really sorry that happened to you."

I am really sorry, Elliot. You are right. I almost always agree with your postings and I had been posting on the same "side" of the argument (pro-coloring book!), But I apologize for not saying anything about your rape. Although I have determined to accept Donald Trump as President, his election was a body blow to me. Everything he said, and I hope that it will not mean everything he does in office, goes against my principles. My response is to to find the right organization to join so that the Republicans can be soundly defeated in the elections to come, not only the 2018 Congressional ones, but the 2020 Presidential Elections. I am sorry for your pain.

Hugs,
Deb

Absolutely no apologies required Deb! I know you are one of the kindest people on here even when upset.

My own family who loves me and knows what happened, voted for him. Like, openly. Sat there countless times when I tried to open a dialogue and said "Yeah but Clinton..."

So now I know. My friends, my family, the people I cried with and confided in and love decided at the end of the day that it was just politics and moved on. In a way I'm jealous of their ability to separate those issues emotionally because I sure as hell can't. I'm not huddled in a corner or "losing my shit" as redwood dismissively said. I go to work every day and read, study, cook, and get on with my life. Pull myself up by the bootstraps or whatever. I don't think pausing to take care of my feelings in counseling every week is a bad thing. And if I wanted to join a support group in a moment of collective pain, that would also be my right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a talk with my sister 2 nights ago and I'd like to share one view from the other side.

She doesn't care about the racism or harassment part whatsoever. Even as a minority, she wants ALL illegal immigrants to be deported, even if your record is clean. I was stunned! The reason is that she went through so much to become a citizen the right way (many years of waiting, and money spent on lawyers) and doesn't feel it is right to allow any illegal immigrants to stay, even if they currently have a job. :(

ACA has been very hard on their small business too. They had to stop offering health insurance to their employees because it was too expensive. They are proud to have been able to subsidize health care for their employees in the past.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478870734|4096901 said:
Thanks Callie. It speaks volumes to me that even just on an online forum I disclosed something extremely personal in an effort to show *why* I and so many others feel a certain way, and it was marched right over. Not an acknowledgement, not a pause as a fellow human being to say "Look, we don't see eye to eye on the politics of this but I'm really sorry that happened to you."

I am really sorry, Elliot. You are right. I almost always agree with your postings and I had been posting on the same "side" of the argument (pro-coloring book!), But I apologize for not saying anything about your rape. Although I have determined to accept Donald Trump as President, his election was a body blow to me. Everything he said, and I hope that it will not mean everything he does in office, goes against my principles. My response is to to find the right organization to join so that the Republicans can be soundly defeated in the elections to come, not only the 2018 Congressional ones, but the 2020 Presidential Elections. I am sorry for your pain.

Hugs,
Deb

Absolutely no apologies required Deb! I know you are one of the kindest people on here even when upset.

My own family who loves me and knows what happened, voted for him. Like, openly. Sat there countless times when I tried to open a dialogue and said "Yeah but Clinton..."

So now I know. My friends, my family, the people I cried with and confided in and love decided at the end of the day that it was just politics and moved on. In a way I'm jealous of their ability to separate those issues emotionally because I sure as hell can't. I'm not huddled in a corner or "losing my shit" as redwood dismissively said. I go to work every day and read, study, cook, and get on with my life. Pull myself up by the bootstraps or whatever. I don't think pausing to take care of my feelings in counseling every week is a bad thing. And if I wanted to join a support group in a moment of collective pain, that would also be my right.

You are right. I did march right over your feelings and I am sorry for that. You and I grate on each other immensely and I do not think that will change. But I am sorry for what happened to you. Please have a better day today.

:wavey:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot, though I often disagree with your posts, I truly admire you as a survivor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot,
I am very sorry. I know you are also going through a challenging time in your life right now. ((Hugs)).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has been a terrible year for many reasons, in my opinion this election was just the cherry on top of this awful sundae of a year.

But to quote one of my favorite movies, "I shall live through the day."

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1478871193|4096906 said:
I had a talk with my sister 2 nights ago and I'd like to share one view from the other side.

She doesn't care about the racism or harassment part whatsoever. Even as a minority, she wants ALL illegal immigrants to be deported, even if your record is clean. I was stunned! The reason is that she went through so much to become a citizen the right way (many years of waiting, and money spent on lawyers) and doesn't feel it is right to allow any illegal immigrants to stay, even if they currently have a job. :(

ACA has been very hard on their small business too. They had to stop offering health insurance to their employees because it was too expensive. They are proud to have been able to subsidize health care for their employees in the past.

And this resentment is what terrifies me. It is obvious many share this resentment. Trump really channeled it by making illegal immigrants the scapegoats. He didn't share the fact that they risk their lives and pay thousands of dollars to get smuggled into the country. Or that they barely make enough to survive. Please tell your sister that illegal immigrants would have traded places with her any day. Their process of getting into this country was probably longer, more painful and more expensive. Maybe that will give her consolation. In the end, she and they had the same goal--the American dream. She should be proud of herself for achieving it.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Immigrants here illegally do not face wholesale deportment. Such deportment should not happen, and it is not what most Republicans want. Although Trump's mouth led his brain during the campaign, his latest statement is that those here illegally who commit other serious crimes will be deported. That I do support.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1478880413|4096996 said:
Immigrants here illegally do not face wholesale deportment. Such deportment should not happen, and it is not what most Republicans want. Although Trump's mouth led his brain during the campaign, his latest statement is that those here illegally who commit other serious crimes will be deported. That I do support.

His mouth did get him in trouble. But for months he has publicly stated that the violent criminals here illegally will go. Did that broadcast all over? No. Which is why the media is complicit in this panic.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478870734|4096901 said:

Hugs,
Deb

Elliott, Hugs, hugs and more hugs. I undertand every single word you wrote. I am so so sorry you are struggling right now. I know this has probably been one of the hardest years of your life and that's without even including all the Trump BS. I view my own father differently right now because he voted for a Trump. I have no idea how he could possibly watch his 26 year old daughter go thru what I went thru and then turn around and vote for a man who openly admitted to committing sexual assault. My dad of all people knows that awful experience hurt me to my core. I'm also not huddled in a corner losing my shit (but I definitely cried Wednesday). Like you, It's impossible for me to think of this as just politics and move on. I'm just grateful that my husband, mom and a few of my closest friends understand how I feel. I'm glad you are in couseling right now. I'm sure my life would be quite different had I not had a wonderful therapist help all me all those years ago. Honey, please know if you EVER want to talk, I will be there for you. Missy can give you my contact information.

Missy, Kristie and LLJsmom, Thank you for being the best possible friends to me these past few days.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

So my shell continues to go up and so do many others' who felt for whatever reason or another that not only was their pain not important enough to give a shit about, but we collectively voted someone in who perpetuates it.

I am also very sorry for what you went through Elliott. And as you know I too was attacked by a funny uncle when I was 12.

And not only did I not get much support here, I am usually ganged up on for my opinions.

But I have learned over the years to just ignore people like that as I do not need validation to be who I am.

But I do wish you comfort. I know it took me a while to get past mine, but I learned that while you eventually do get past it you never truely get over it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1478807927|4096500 said:
monarch64 said:
iLander|1478807202|4096485 said:
Trump is the one that stirred up the emotions in this election. This is the result. I can understand it. :|

But I do think coloring books for adults are idiotic. Have you seen those? I want to stomp on them every time I see them in stores.

I like being nice to people, too. I agree with your previous comment above. Coloring books being enraging, though? What exactly is it about them that makes them seem idiotic? How are they different from crosswords, word searches, etc? Soduko? I have used coloring books since 18 as part of eating disorder therapy. This past winter I used one to help me through a bout of anxiety. It focuses me without using meds. So I don't see what's dumb about them at all. In fact I think they are probably one of the healthiest forms of self-help there is.

Figures I would put my foot in my mouth with someone I like. :knockout: I can understand pretty much anything if it's a helpful therapy. I very much enjoyed the therapy duck that was on airplane (all over the net). Whatever works, awesome, go for it. Sorry, I didn't think of that.

I guess the coloring books (not as a therapy) bother me because I think people should take that time to draw and sketch their own original artwork. But I'm biased as the majority of my family has MFA's and various art degrees.

Hey, no worries! I think you should try a coloring book...you might like the mandala ones, or I bet there are plenty with quilts! I'll ask my mother--she's into coloring, too! She likes more geometric/symmetrical designs, and I like flowier, realistic shapes/objects. :wavey:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1478807830|4096497 said:
I have Joanna Basford's very popular The Secret Garden. I use regular old colored pencils. Some people use glitter inks, gels, all kinds of media.

People have used coloring to ease anxiety, focus attention, tune fine motor skills, stop smoking, all kinds of things. Plus, they are art when they're finished. If you google any of the titles of Basford's and look at the images, oh my. Beautiful stuff.

I totally thought of you today when I went to the craft store! I had read this thread this morning and don't you know I saw an adult coloring book for.....Exotic Chickens!! :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1478880413|4096996 said:
Yup, Agree with Trump! plus he must pass Kate's Law.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1478907424|4097250 said:
monarch64|1478807830|4096497 said:
I have Joanna Basford's very popular The Secret Garden. I use regular old colored pencils. Some people use glitter inks, gels, all kinds of media.

People have used coloring to ease anxiety, focus attention, tune fine motor skills, stop smoking, all kinds of things. Plus, they are art when they're finished. If you google any of the titles of Basford's and look at the images, oh my. Beautiful stuff.

I totally thought of you today when I went to the craft store! I had read this thread this morning and don't you know I saw an adult coloring book for.....Exotic Chickens!! :lol:

Ha! That's hilarious. I bet that's because keeping chickens has become "a thing" for so many people? My instagram is full of gardeners and I see different breeds of chickens featured on there all the time. Never woulda thought coloring them would be fun. But feathers/peacocks/birds are liked by a lot of folks, so there's that.
Here is one called "Difficult Chickens." For some reason that really cracks me up. :lol:

difficultchickens.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is too funny. Who comes up with these titles?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1478908853|4097257 said:
That is too funny. Who comes up with these titles?

I don't know. I think maybe this one is literal. I just picture chickens walking around, being difficult, and clucky and fussy and squawky. :lol:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'll confess that I'm not a colorer or a play-doh fancier myself.

BUT......for those who do find these outlets successful in managing/releasing stress, anxiety and frustration, I cannot fathom where the harm is to warrant having you demean them for it.

I don't seriously care that they are adults. Adults have feelings too - often incredibly stressful ones. You'd rather they indulge in other outlets that are harmful to themselves or others instead of finding a healthy, non-addictive, non-abusive way to refocus anxiety?

In my mom's day, they were told to just 'suck it up'. Know what that resulted in? Rampant alcoholism, domestic violence, and a whole bunch of other things much more 'adult' and HARMFUL than friggin coloring.

Some people garden. Some people read. Some people color. Who the eff cares? If the only way you can feel good about yourself is to mock others for something as benign as coloring......well, perhaps you might wanna consider taking up coloring instead of bashing others. Perhaps you can find a happier place. I'll buy the crayons for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1478916337|4097301 said:
I'll confess that I'm not a colorer or a play-doh fancier myself.

BUT......for those who do find these outlets successful in managing/releasing stress, anxiety and frustration, I cannot fathom where the harm is to warrant having you demean them for it.

I don't seriously care that they are adults. Adults have feelings too - often incredibly stressful ones. You'd rather they indulge in other outlets that are harmful to themselves or others instead of finding a healthy, non-addictive, non-abusive way to refocus anxiety?

In my mom's day, they were told to just 'suck it up'. Know what that resulted in? Rampant alcoholism, domestic violence, and a whole bunch of other things much more 'adult' and HARMFUL than friggin coloring.

Some people garden. Some people read. Some people color. Who the eff cares? If the only way you can feel good about yourself is to mock others for something as benign as coloring......well, perhaps you might wanna consider taking up coloring instead of bashing others. Perhaps you can find a happier place. I'll buy the crayons for you.

Thanks, al.

<smile>

I had never thought much about coloring, but this thread which started as a "bashing" of adult coloring and led to a discussion of therapeutic adult coloring reminded me of something. When my daughter was hospitalized for depression recently she made a list with her social worker of self-soothing behaviors in which she could engage. When she got agitated at home we sat and reviewed some things she could do. Among the things we came up with (I don't believe the social worker had it on her list) was her adult coloring book and word searches. I had never really thought much about it, but i guess it can be truly therapeutic!

Deb :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a good article on the benefits of coloring:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/health/adult-coloring-books-popularity-mental-health/

The coloring book I've been using is mentioned and pictured. I picked it up because I'm an avid gardener and it appealed to that part of me. But for others, I think foliage and nature scenes are also especially calming.

ETA: I watched the video within. The interviewer brought a coloring book (EnchantedForest by Johanna Basford, who also appears in the video) to downtown Manhattan during lunch hour. It was interesting to me that the men turned down the opportunity, while the women appeared to embrace it and seemed open to the idea.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was twenty one I was hospitalized after having a complete nervous breakdown, the nurses would try to get me to take a walk but I refused to move. The only thing that offered any comfort was coloring. Although we did not have these cool coloring books back then. So I can attest as someone who suffers from severe social anxiety and refuses medication, coloring is a wonderful coping mechanism.

I love that coloring book that Monarch has too. The really intricate ones make really pretty pictures.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478921324|4097321 said:
Thanks, al.

<smile>

I had never thought much about coloring, but this thread which started as a "bashing" of adult coloring and led to a discussion of therapeutic adult coloring reminded me of something. When my daughter was hospitalized for depression recently she made a list with her social worker of self-soothing behaviors in which she could engage. When she got agitated at home we sat and reviewed some things she could do. Among the things we came up with (I don't believe the social worker had it on her list) was her adult coloring book and word searches. I had never really thought much about it, but i guess it can be truly therapeutic!

I beg to differ. It was started as an observance of adults needing a day off of school or crying time out of class because of an election. I did not even know adult coloring books existed. If people love coloring books that is wonderful or whatever you do in your spare time or to ease stress, but that was not the point.

:wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478922297|4097328 said:
AGBF|1478921324|4097321 said:
Thanks, al.

<smile>

Deb

I beg to differ. It was started as an observance of adults needing a day off of school or crying time out of class because of an election. I did not even know adult coloring books existed. If people love coloring books that is wonderful or whatever you do in your spare time or to ease stress, but that was not the point.

Sorry, red. No offense intended. I was never focused on how the thread started since I was never upset over its origins. I wasn't paying attention.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I beg to differ. It was started as an observance of adults needing a day off of school or crying time out of class because of an election. I did not even know adult coloring books existed. If people love coloring books that is wonderful or whatever you do in your spare time or to ease stress, but that was not the point. :wavey:

Red, if you want to be completely literalist, I guess one could agree with the above. But you'd be missing the point.

The theme of this thread was to mock those who seek comfort in some coping activities commonly associated with children (whether it's play-doh, cry-ins, coloring, or otherwise) and outline why they shouldn't need them as adults. The theme was to brand those activities ridiculous and to label those who find comfort in them "fragile and unable to cope when they don't get their own way." That does rise to the level of bashing in my book, and if it doesn't for you, then we can agree to disagree.

Deriding people who want to pursue non-destructive ways to work through their feelings instead of stuffing them (which can lead to destructive behavior to one's self and others) isn't noble to me.

As a side note......to those who think that pursuing soothing outlets is motivated by not getting one's own way, you're totally missing the point. In 240 years of elections, there has always been a winner and a loser; there have always been those who 'got their way' and those who didn't. If that was the underlying reason, it would have happened before now.

The grief about this election isn't over winning or losing; it's not about getting one's way or not. It's about a loss of faith in neighbors and fellow countrymen who care only about themselves and not about others who would be gravely impacted if some of Trump's policies come to fruition. It's grief in realizing that some of our fellow countrymen feel it's ok to vote for someone who openly mocks disabled people; that it's ok to vote for someone who wants to banish an entire group of human beings--people who've individually done *nothing* wrong--solely based on their religious beliefs. It's a grief to get confirmation that some countrymen are completely OK with sacrificing the rights of others to protect their own self-interests.

Frankly, that disgusts me....and makes me want to color.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1478967942|4097453 said:
I beg to differ. It was started as an observance of adults needing a day off of school or crying time out of class because of an election. I did not even know adult coloring books existed. If people love coloring books that is wonderful or whatever you do in your spare time or to ease stress, but that was not the point. :wavey:

Red, if you want to be completely literalist, I guess one could agree with the above. But you'd be missing the point.

The theme of this thread was to mock those who seek comfort in some coping activities commonly associated with children (whether it's play-doh, cry-ins, coloring, or otherwise) and outline why they shouldn't need them as adults. The theme was to brand those activities ridiculous and to label those who find comfort in them "fragile and unable to cope when they don't get their own way." That does rise to the level of bashing in my book, and if it doesn't for you, then we can agree to disagree.

Deriding people who want to pursue non-destructive ways to work through their feelings instead of stuffing them (which can lead to destructive behavior to one's self and others) isn't noble to me.

As a side note......to those who think that pursuing soothing outlets is motivated by not getting one's own way, you're totally missing the point. In 240 years of elections, there has always been a winner and a loser; there have always been those who 'got their way' and those who didn't. If that was the underlying reason, it would have happened before now.

The grief about this election isn't over winning or losing; it's not about getting one's way or not. It's about a loss of faith in neighbors and fellow countrymen who care only about themselves and not about others who would be gravely impacted if some of Trump's policies come to fruition. It's grief in realizing that some of our fellow countrymen feel it's ok to vote for someone who openly mocks disabled people; that it's ok to vote for someone who wants to banish an entire group of human beings--people who've individually done *nothing* wrong--solely based on their religious beliefs. It's a grief to get confirmation that some countrymen are completely OK with sacrificing the rights of others to protect their own self-interests.

Fair enough. But this forum is comprised of many who think like you do. There are millions more who don't obviously, and I endure the ridicule for my political views here on a constant basis because I like many of the posters here. I believe them to be good people even though there is thread after thread and post after post mocking Trump supporters as dumb racist hicks.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1478967942|4097453 said:

This.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1478968574|4097459 said:
Fair enough. But this forum is comprised of many who think like you do. There are millions more who don't obviously, and I endure the ridicule for my political views here on a constant basis because I like many of the posters here. I believe them to be good people even though there is thread after thread and post after post mocking Trump supporters as dumb racist hicks.

And so your response to being ridiculed is to turn around and BE the ridiculer? Does that justification make you feel good about doing it?

For what it's worth, I don't think Trump supporters are dumb racists hicks. I think many were fully aware that they were choosing their own selfish interests at the expense of others' basic human rights......did it anyway. They didn't care. That's probably why I'm so disheartened.

There are many things I'd like to have in this country, and things I enjoy that I don't want to give up. But I don't want those things if it means someone who has done nothing but behave as a model citizen here will be packed up and shipped off. I do not want those things if it means that same-sex partners will now be targeted for 'conversion therapy'. Those things are not more important to me than basic human rights. The cost is much too high.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1478969976|4097468 said:
redwood66|1478968574|4097459 said:

And so your response to being ridiculed is to turn around and BE the ridiculer? Does that justification make you feel good about doing it?

It was not to ridicule. It was to make a point that IMO young people have become too soft and unable to deal with disappointment. An opinion shared by many outside this forum. It may sound harsh but it is a harsh world and not changing any time soon.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I agree Red. Are they going to cope in the real world with a demanding boss. Or when life does not go their way?

Or are they going to just fall apart.

This is not about play doh and coloring books imo. College is there to transition kids into adults. Not coddle them like children.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478806061|4096468 said:
This is just ridiculous and what comes of raising kids with helicopter parenting and trophies for everyone. These are "adults" supposedly. I would have been told to "rub some dirt on it" and work toward changing it if you don't like it. Did anyone ask for these special things when Obama won in 2008? There were plenty of people unhappy with that election but "they were racist" according to the left.

Snowflakes and these are our future. SMH

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

Sh*t. I hope no one is planning to be warm in hell because, as this is the SECOND time I am in agreement with redwood66 on something political, hell has surely reached Absolute Zero (-273°C). :lol:

Well, I agree with part of it anyway. OK, break out the play-doh and kleenex, for now. But then it's time for self-reflection: how the hell did we get here? It wasn't enough to just not vote for someone who fanned those ugly flames. And THEN, the realization that we need to aggressively move to effect change should be kicking us in the butt.

Red, it's a false equivalency to state that these special things weren't asked for when Obama won in 2008. If Cruz, Rubio, Ryan, etc., had won, we "losers" would not be in the state we are now. It wasn't like this when Bush won, or when LePage won (twice) in my own home state. (Trump makes LePage look like a statesman!) If you truly can't see the difference between Obama and Trump beyond their political leanings you are either willfully not paying attention or don't think integrity matters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results