color
clarity

Cry-ins, play-doh etc. at colleges

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1478806527|4096474 said:
100% agree.

And the way some of the so called adults are carrying on here, I do worry for the next generation.

We are raising a group of very fragile people who simply cannot cope when they do not get their way.

And it is funny because I have gotten comments that people like me the older generation will soon be gone and that would be a good thing.

In my generation we picked ourselves up by our boot straps and did what we had to do. If we got knocked down, we got back up. We did not need play doh and safe rooms.

dont worry about us, we'll be fine.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another big LOL to the baby boomers who "worry" so much about our generation, just not about the steaming pile of shit that got dumped on us by the one before us. But please by all means keep talking :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry the baby boomers will eventually die off and you can have the big ole pile of whatever you create all to yourself. Luckily the Electoral College will still be around and my sons want to stay living in our free state. At least some will still enlist in the military unless you do away with that too. I can be just as passive aggressive as the next person.

:wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit said:
iLander|1478807202|4096485 said:
Trump is the one that stirred up the emotions in this election. This is the result. I can understand it. :|

But I do think coloring books for adults are idiotic. Have you seen those? I want to stomp on them every time I see them in stores.

Seriously? Now we're hating on adult coloring books? :-o I have several and they are very therapeutic and calming and I enjoy them very much. I guess that makes me an idiot, too, along with all the other things I've been called in most of these threads. :roll:

I apologized to Monarch64, and I apologize to you as well. :|

I didn't realize that is how people are using them, they just popped into my head as being similar to play doh (an item often used by children, now used as adults). Monarch's post shows the work can be quite intricate.

I am tired, have a lot of repressed anger just now, and I didn't pay attention to what posted. Sorry.

To everyone else: I take back the coloring book remark.
:wavey: :wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh there is nothing passive about it, I think topics like this are complete and utter horse shit followed by a bunch of hand wringing about why we're all emotionally crippled.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1478822849|4096622 said:

Do you apologize to me, too? I think I am older than you. ;))

Hugs,
((iLander))
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478823191|4096624 said:
Oh there is nothing passive about it, I think topics like this are complete and utter horse shit followed by a bunch of hand wringing about why we're all emotionally crippled.

Then don't read it. Easy peasy.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1478823200|4096626 said:
iLander|1478822849|4096622 said:

Do you apologize to me, too? I think I am older than you. ;))

Hugs,
((iLander))
Deb

Sure, what the hell, to you too. :D (please note to everyone else, just trying to respond to Deb lighten the mood and it does not indicate an insincerity on my part)

I don't think you are, and if you are, it's not by much. My oldest is 32. Which makes me . . . crazy. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you iLander.

It's a lot like knitting for me. It lets me unwind.

Now I just need to find pens that don't irritate me.

I am surprised how much I enjoy the coloring books.

They are very therapeutic.

So is origami. I don't personally do that, but I know some that do. Needlepoint.

All of those crafts... a great HEALTHY way to wind down and get a break from stress.

I am VERY much against helicopter parenting. I have nieces that have been utterly RUINED by it. I've seen their potential snuffed out because of it.

And I too grew up having to figure sh*t out for myself without hand holding. And I screwed up in ways I am still paying for.

But in this particular case... for many this is a true national tragedy. Right up there with a terrorist attack. But worse because it is our friends, neighbors, coworkers and family to blame. I know you and other conservatives do not understand it. But many of us are TRULY in mourning.

And I think it's fine to provide support and seek out support in times like this.

When someone dies do you tell their loved ones: "Get over it, put on your adult pants, and move on since everyone dies?"

Not unless you are completely lacking in empathy. Instead you understand they need time to deal with their loss and come to terms with it. You send them food, so they don't have to worry about meals. You send them flowers to let them know you are thinking about them.

This is the same thing, except it's play doh and things like that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Since when are people allowed to dictate how/whether others are upset?! The country just elected a man to the highest office in the land who admitted to committing sexual assault. I don't think it makes me weak/emotionally crippled to be upset and feel unsafe.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1478823484|4096631 said:
All of those crafts... a great HEALTHY way to wind down and get a break from stress.

I am VERY much against helicopter parenting. I have nieces that have been utterly RUINED by it. I've seen their potential snuffed out because of it.

And I too grew up having to figure sh*t out for myself without hand holding. And I screwed up in ways I am still paying for.

But in this particular case... for many this is a true national tragedy. Right up there with a terrorist attack. But worse because it is our friends, neighbors, coworkers and family to blame. I know you and other conservatives do not understand it. But many of us are TRULY in mourning.

And I think it's fine to provide support and seek out support in times like this.

When someone dies do you tell their loved ones: "Get over it, put on your adult pants, and move on since everyone dies?"

Not unless you are completely lacking in empathy. Instead you understand they need time to deal with their loss and come to terms with it. You send them food, so they don't have to worry about meals. You send them flowers to let them know you are thinking about them.

So me going to the range is not healthy you would say? :lol:

I absolutely do not put election results in the same category as a terrorist attack. I would never say that to someone who lost a loved one. Hillary did not die, she lost and it was her fault she did.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1478823755|4096636 said:
Agreed. Since when are people allowed to dictate how/whether others are upset?! The country just elected a man to the highest office in the land who admitted to committing sexual assault. I don't think it makes me weak/emotionally crippled to be upset and feel unsafe.

Bill Clinton actually did it and no one had a problem electing him. They thought the other side was worse obviously. So do I this time.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478823367|4096627 said:

Then don't read it. Easy peasy.

I will continue to read and comment as I please. Pass the play dough.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Redwood. It's your turn to understand OUR perspective. Because you clearly do not.

You've asked me time and again to listen to you. You've asked me time and again to have empathy. To put myself into the shoes of your friends and neighbors. And I did.

It's your turn. Can you do it?

Following is by John Pavlovitz

I don’t think you understand us right now.
I think you think this is about politics.
I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.
I can only tell you that you’re wrong. This is not about losing an election. This isn’t about not winning a contest. This is about two very different ways of seeing the world.

Hillary supporters believe in a diverse America; one where religion or skin color or sexual orientation or place of birth aren’t liabilities or deficiencies or moral defects. Her campaign was one of inclusion and connection and interdependency. It was about building bridges and breaking ceilings. It was about going high.
Trump supporters believe in a very selective America; one that is largely white and straight and Christian, and the voting verified this. Donald Trump has never made any assertions otherwise. He ran a campaign of fear and exclusion and isolation—and that’s the vision of the world those who voted for him have endorsed.
They have aligned with the wall-builder and the professed p*ssy-grabber, and they have co-signed his body of work, regardless of the reasons they give for their vote:
Every horrible thing Donald Trump ever said about women or Muslims or people of color has now been validated.
Every profanity-laced press conference and every call to bully protestors and every ignorant diatribe has been endorsed.
Every piece of anti-LGBTQ legislation Mike Pence has championed has been signed-off on.
Half of our country has declared these things acceptable, noble, American.
This is the disconnect and the source of our grief today. It isn’t a political defeat that we’re lamenting, it’s a defeat for Humanity.
We’re not angry that our candidate lost. We’re angry because our candidate’s losing means this country will be less safe, less kind, and less available to a huge segment of its population, and that’s just the truth.
Those who have always felt vulnerable are now left more so. Those whose voices have been silenced will be further quieted. Those who always felt marginalized will be pushed further to the periphery. Those who feared they were seen as inferior now have confirmation in actual percentages.
Those things have essentially been campaign promises of Donald Trump, and so many of our fellow citizens have said this is what they want too.
This has never been about politics.
This is not about one candidate over the other.
It’s not about one’s ideas over another’s.
It is not blue vs. red.
It’s not her emails vs. his bad language.
It’s not her dishonesty vs. his indecency.
It’s about overt racism and hostility toward minorities.
It’s about religion being weaponized.
It’s about crassness and vulgarity and disregard for women.
It’s about a barricaded, militarized, bully nation.
It’s about an unapologetic, open-faced ugliness.

And it is not only that these things have been ratified by our nation that grieve us; all this hatred, fear, racism, bigotry, and intolerance—it’s knowing that these things have been amen-ed by our neighbors, our families, our friends, those we work with and worship alongside. That is the most horrific thing of all. We now know how close this is.
It feels like living in enemy territory being here now, and there’s no way around that. We wake up today in a home we no longer recognize. We are grieving the loss of a place we used to love but no longer do. This may be America today but it is not the America we believe in or recognize or want.
This is not about a difference of political opinion, as that’s far too small to mourn over. It’s about a fundamental difference in how we view the worth of all people—not just those who look or talk or think or vote the way we do.

Grief always laments what might have been, the future we were robbed of, the tomorrow that we won’t get to see, and that is what we walk through today. As a nation we had an opportunity to affirm the beauty of our diversity this day, to choose ideas over sound bytes, to let everyone know they had a place at the table, to be the beacon of goodness and decency we imagine that we are—and we said no.
The Scriptures say that weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning. We can’t see that dawn coming any time soon.
And this is why we grieve.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1478823484|4096631 said:
Thank you iLander.

It's a lot like knitting for me. It lets me unwind.

Now I just need to find pens that don't irritate me.

I am surprised how much I enjoy the coloring books.

They are very therapeutic.

So is origami. I don't personally do that, but I know some that do. Needlepoint.

I've recently taken up quilting and yes, it does take my mind off things.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - So if I acted like this when Obama was elected you would be understanding correct? Thing is I didn't because I understand how elections work and ACCEPT them. He told us he was going to fundamentally change the America that I love and I still did not cry or protest or throw a fit. I was sure Clinton was going to win and was willing to accept it even though I think she is one of the most criminal politicians that ever held office. I feel as strongly about her as you do about Trump. Can you understand that? If everyone needs to cry about this election then by all means go ahead but the world will go on. It is highly likely Trump will not sexually assault anyone in the oval office. And I am tired of this BS of he was elected by a white racist majority. He got less white vote than Romney and more hispanic and black vote than Romney. Just because you don't have a college degree does not mean you are racist.

I understand people are upset. I am sorry you all are so upset about this and hope that it will get better for you.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1478823908|4096639 said:
lovedogs|1478823755|4096636 said:

Bill Clinton actually did it and no one had a problem electing him. They thought the other side was worse obviously. So do I this time.

True.

And although we had no good choice for President this time, I agree that 911 is not a good comparison.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Gypsy, for posting that! That is exactly how I feel.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478825385|4096658 said:
Gypsy - So if I acted like this when Obama was elected you would be understanding correct? Thing is I didn't because I understand how elections work and ACCEPT them. He told us he was going to fundamentally change the America that I love and I still did not cry or protest or throw a fit. I was sure Clinton was going to win and was willing to accept it even though I think she is one of the most criminal politicians that ever held office. I feel as strongly about her as you do about Trump. Can you understand that? If everyone needs to cry about this election then by all means go ahead but the world will go on. It is highly likely Trump will not sexually assault anyone in the oval office. And I am tired of this BS of he was elected by a white racist majority. He got less white vote than Romney and more hispanic and black vote than Romney. Just because you don't have a college degree does not mean you are racist.

I understand people are upset. I am sorry you all are so upset about this and hope that it will get better for you.
Go get em Red!... :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478822573|4096617 said:
Don't worry the baby boomers will eventually die off and you can have the big ole pile of whatever you create all to yourself. Luckily the Electoral College will still be around and my sons want to stay living in our free state. At least some will still enlist in the military unless you do away with that too. I can be just as passive aggressive as the next person.

My I ask why you like the electoral college?

One would think, regardless of who you vote for, it would be nice if voting went like this
People vote, you count votes, thing with most votes win...

I thought true democracy was a cornerstone of America.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live in a republic of states not a democracy. The electoral college ensures all states are represented in elections. I support states' rights.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478827966|4096680 said:
We live in a republic of states not a democracy. The electoral college ensures all states are represented in elections. I support states' rights.

states are represented by the people who live there.

but you've answered my question.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1478807927|4096500 said:
monarch64 said:
iLander|1478807202|4096485 said:
Trump is the one that stirred up the emotions in this election. This is the result. I can understand it. :|

But I do think coloring books for adults are idiotic. Have you seen those? I want to stomp on them every time I see them in stores.

I like being nice to people, too. I agree with your previous comment above. Coloring books being enraging, though? What exactly is it about them that makes them seem idiotic? How are they different from crosswords, word searches, etc? Soduko? I have used coloring books since 18 as part of eating disorder therapy. This past winter I used one to help me through a bout of anxiety. It focuses me without using meds. So I don't see what's dumb about them at all. In fact I think they are probably one of the healthiest forms of self-help there is.

Figures I would put my foot in my mouth with someone I like. :knockout: I can understand pretty much anything if it's a helpful therapy. I very much enjoyed the therapy duck that was on airplane (all over the net). Whatever works, awesome, go for it. Sorry, I didn't think of that.

I guess the coloring books (not as a therapy) bother me because I think people should take that time to draw and sketch their own original artwork. But I'm biased as the majority of my family has MFA's and various art degrees.

I love my colouring book! It's my down time the way that people take a bath or enjoy a glass of wine or gossip with friends on the phone. I can't draw for shit. Drawing and attempting to create original work stresses me out because I can't make it look like it looks in my head even if I spend hours on it. Colouring is just a relief and release to me. I'm not hurting anyone and I feel a bit of accomplishment in making something pretty while a stressful day melts away in mere minutes. I also enjoy playing frisbee and watching the ducks on the lake ;))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Red, How can you possibly compare President Obama to Trump? I'm really not try to start anything here but seriously. Even if you hate Obama's politics he is a kind, decent human being. He doesn't brag about sexually assaulting women. He doesn't make derogatory remarks about ethnic groups, he doesn't mock handicapped people. We all learn from a very young age the difference between right and wrong, about human decency. President Obama is a good person. Trump is not. He has shown us all who he is over and over again.

Elliott, Many, many women felt exactly the same way you did yesterday. Rape crisis centers have been bombarded with calls due to this election.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478836950|4096759 said:

Red, How can you possibly compare President Obama to Trump? I'm really not try to start anything here but seriously. Even if you hate Obama's politics he is a kind, decent human being. He doesn't brag about sexually assaulting women. He doesn't make derogatory remarks about ethnic groups, he doesn't mock handicapped people. We all learn from a very young age the difference between right and wrong, about human decency. President Obama is a good person. Trump is not. He has shown us all who he is over and over again.

Elliott, Many, many women felt exactly the same way you did yesterday. Rape crisis centers have been bombarded with calls due to this election.

I am not comparing the men. I am comparing how I feel about them and their policies. That is how my brain works. I am not an emotional tizzy of a person over much of anything. This may be why people on here get so irritated at me, because things like this election and things Trump has said don't make me lose my shit. There is so much more out there that is so much worse and most people have no idea about any of it. That does not make saying idiotic things right either so don't flame out on me about that.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I'm really not trying to start anything, especially with you. I may not agree with you on politics but you rarely irritate me.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478839003|4096794 said:
Red, I'm really not trying to start anything, especially with you. I may not agree with you on politics but you rarely irritate me.

:wavey: Muah.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Callie. It speaks volumes to me that even just on an online forum I disclosed something extremely personal in an effort to show *why* I and so many others feel a certain way, and it was marched right over. Not an acknowledgement, not a pause as a fellow human being to say "Look, we don't see eye to eye on the politics of this but I'm really sorry that happened to you."

So my shell continues to go up and so do many others' who felt for whatever reason or another that not only was their pain not important enough to give a shit about, but we collectively voted someone in who perpetuates it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478866680|4096872 said:
Thanks Callie. It speaks volumes to me that even just on an online forum I disclosed something extremely personal in an effort to show *why* I and so many others feel a certain way, and it was marched right over. Not an acknowledgement, not a pause as a fellow human being to say "Look, we don't see eye to eye on the politics of this but I'm really sorry that happened to you."

I am really sorry, Elliot. You are right. I almost always agree with your postings and I had been posting on the same "side" of the argument (pro-coloring book!), But I apologize for not saying anything about your rape. Although I have determined to accept Donald Trump as President, his election was a body blow to me. Everything he said, and I hope that it will not mean everything he does in office, goes against my principles. My response is to to find the right organization to join so that the Republicans can be soundly defeated in the elections to come, not only the 2018 Congressional ones, but the 2020 Presidential Elections. I am sorry for your pain.

Hugs,
Deb

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1478838263|4096783 said:

I am not comparing the men. I am comparing how I feel about them and their policies. That is how my brain works. I am not an emotional tizzy of a person over much of anything. This may be why people on here get so irritated at me, because things like this election and things Trump has said don't make me lose my shit. There is so much more out there that is so much worse and most people have no idea about any of it. That does not make saying idiotic things right either so don't flame out on me about that.

I get it, Red. I agree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results