carat
color
clarity

Crushed Ice Cushions...BAD???

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond said:
I think this thread has been amazing- very illuminating.
My perspective on aset has changed.
The photos are not all that difficult to take. I don't know that I'd include them in listings, but I'd certainly be able to provide them- and it's not as big a deal as I thought.

Getting this aset light will also allow me to lay another, long standing claim to rest.
"Backlighting"

Here's what it actually looks like

backlight.jpg

RD use ASET for fancy color stones to select stones with little blue and they will show more even color.

(and CCL - not that one - one before that)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doc_1 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
Doc_1 said:
Stone-cold11 said:
Doc_1 said:
That ASET is very important and shocking too . too much green in a brilliant stone , I am revisiting what i thought i knew. By saying that am not saying i am throwing ASET out of the window, but rather i am not going to weigh in much on it!

That is actually expected, given how well it perform in the image RD took. The camera is too near, blocking out most of the light from the red zone of the ASET, making the RB look dark, while the radiant is still gathering light from the green zone.
Correct

I was referring to the video he posted on the same radiant and the simulation Garry posted on the specs, no camera blocking the light, no black hood reflecting on the diamond , he went all the way to a low dark corner and that thing picked the light like a magnet, however in a stronger lighting it was like fireworks and yet it is a darn green on the ASET, while the other one mostly pink....!
This is why comparisons - SIDE by SIDE comparisons are so important Doc. if you open the video of all 4 stones and stop them at any position you will see the RBC is bright across a much greater area of the stone. The radiant has pinfire that flashes in specs. it looks impressive when it is very large - but go across the room and compare each video when the flashes are more life size - they are then tiny tiny sparkles - some will be so small you may not see them - this is real life.

Can somoene please fnd the video example with 9 stones that was run as a poll about 1 year ago? There was a pinfire crushed ice cushion in that demo video.

The video RD posted did not have the Round diamond in it so i do not know what are you referring to, he had in it the two cushion in question and he had them in different lighting, and took both of them to the dark corner of his office.

I have a simple question though to you Garry:
Do you find the radiant has a great performance in real life looking at both your simulated video, and RD's real video, while it has all that darn green and not much of pink on ASET?

The green means it has a chance to perfom well in some darkened environs because per se there IS not direct light from red and blue potential sources. Also in my video I have no "virtual observer". In real life if all those tests were performed in a shop by a savvy customer with a well cut round as a comparison, 90% would buy the round, the other 10% would want the crushed ice for their "collection".

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
The green means it has a chance to perfom well in some darkened environs because per se there IS not direct light from red and blue potential sources. Also in my video I have no "virtual observer". In real life if all those tests were performed in a shop by a savvy customer with a well cut round as a comparison, 90% would buy the round, the other 10% would want the crushed ice for their "collection".

You are omitting the fact that he exposed the diamond in the same video to strong window lighting and to low dark corner lighting and from what i see it did marvelous on both accounts.

And if those savvy customers were in the market for crushed ice cushion, and saw that performance i saw in the video then you can reverse the percentage you posted to the advantage of the crushed ice cushion.

here is the vid again:
http://www.youtube.com/user/diamondsbyl ... zcR4kIBkCw

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
link is destroyed...here it is again:

[]http://www.youtube.com/user/diamondsbylauren#p/u/0/0zcR4kIBkCw[]

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doc_1 said:

EDT:
Why did RD, when he has the diamond try, pick up each stone individually and display it in different lighting conditions? Why not just bring the stones in the tray and go into the south facing window and then the dark corner? That is side by side comparison. And no RB side by side video? Why?

The brightness of the radiant in the dark corner of the room? Contrast, from the dark back ground, even some part of the tweezers looks bring to me when it catches some light in the video. Do a side by side comparison with a well cut round on the diamond tray in that location?

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
Doc_1 said:

EDT:
Why did RD, when he has the diamond try, pick up each stone individually and display it in different lighting conditions? Why not just bring the stones in the tray and go into the south facing window and then the dark corner? That is side by side comparison. And no RB side by side video? Why?

The brightness of the radiant in the dark corner of the room? Contrast, from the dark back ground, even some part of the tweezers looks bring to me when it catches some light in the video. Do a side by side comparison with a well cut round on the diamond tray in that location?

Lets for a second for the sake of education forget about the second stone and concentrate on one stone only:
The cushion, has crushed ice looking, he considered it as his example of what a real life performance that is gorgeous but yet not so on ASET.
He furnished the video, in both bright window lighting and dimmed corner lighting and it did well on both accounts, and he furnished the picture in different lighting exposures and it did great too. and on the ASET it looked GREEN and not much of RED.

To me he made his case.
I for one LOVE the AVC, and so is my wife, but for some one who loves the crushed ice cushion and wants no pattern i think he made a strong darn case!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Doc - Am I missing something .. I don't see no crushed ice cushion in any video. The Daussi cushion is simply not a crushed ice cushion by my definition.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
Doc - Am I missing something .. I don't see no crushed ice cushion in any video. The Daussi cushion is simply not a crushed ice cushion by my definition.

The diamond in red circle is not crushed ice cushion by your definition?

crushcomp1a.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is not a cushion, that is a radiant.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
As Stone-Cold said, that is a radiant and has been referred to as a radiant throughout this thread. I just thought there was some other video I wasn't aware of with a crushed ice cushion.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
That is not a cushion, that is a radiant.

Ok lets call it crushed ice radiant then, what difference does it make to the core of the discussion, call it Samantha if you wish, but you did not answer my question, nor Garry.

How a brilliant nice life performer in all lighting conditions can be so green on ASET and not much of red nor much of blue?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
To you, it may remove doubts on the performance, not to me.

Green can still have light in certain condition, where the light source is at the GREEN ASET location. That is what you still do not understand about ASET. It delineates the location of light source, not that the best light return is red.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
To you, it may remove doubts on the performance, not to me.
You still did not answer the question, the different lighting conditions were satisfied by the window when he was flipping that puppy upside down and turning it in all direction .
any way
To each his/her own.
I think he made a powerful point here.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green can still have light in certain condition, where the light source is at the GREEN ASET location. That is what you still do not understand about ASET. It delineates the location of light source, not that the best light return is red.[/quote]

Which is why I want a side by side comparison with a well cut round, I known where most of the light from a well cut round gathers from.

Then do a side by side comparison, what is so hard with that?

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
Green can still have light in certain condition, where the light source is at the GREEN ASET location. That is what you still do not understand about ASET. It delineates the location of light source, not that the best light return is red.

Which is why I want a side by side comparison with a well cut round, I known where most of the light from a well cut round gathers from.

Then do a side by side comparison, what is so hard with that?

You are not answering a simple question but that is your choice!
I can summarize what i think before i say goodnight:
He posted on the video and in the pictures with all lighting conditions that are out there what looked for my eyes a gorgeous crushed ice with no pattern and yet it was green on the ASET.
So his argument that relying on ASET you can miss gorgeous diamonds that are out there...and i believe he scored a point.

well!........ good night every one.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which part of green location in an ASET do you not understand? In brightly lit room, wall surface are also reflecting light brightly, secondary source (green) is still bright, which is what the radiant is gathering light from, which is what you see as lively.

Put a well cut RB beside it on a tray and see which one is more lively, brilliant in the same situation.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
If I might add, the OP asked about a crushed ice cushion. Can we add one to the mix? I would like to see the difference in performance between the cushion and the radiant. Thanks.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Doc there's a difference between green on the ASET and white on the ASET

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:

Green is indirect or reflected light and white is leakage.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doc there have been no comparisons, there have been no declaration or showing the true lighting environ in a way that is replicable. You know these are preconditions for any serious study.
That has been a long term criticism of mine of RD (and some other vendors). But in this case he has been more open :appl:

So much so that we have the .srn filees - here they are again as .gem files - first your favorite.
Please make your own images in Gem Adviser.

If you do not have it download the free program here and then you can do side by side comp's with movies etc
http://www.octonus.com/oct/download/adviser_demo_down.phtml

Attachments

• RD radiant ASET white.gem
    17.1 KB · Views: 63

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
If I might add, the OP asked about a crushed ice cushion. Can we add one to the mix? I would like to see the difference in performance between the cushion and the radiant. Thanks.

Cushion with Radiant Style Pavilion. Not the greatest scan, but good enough.
Cushion%20Radiant%20Style%20Pavilion.jpg
Cushion%20Radiant%20Style%20Pavilion%20ASET%20White%20BKG.jpg

Attachments

• Cushion Radiant Style Pavilion ASET White BKG.gem
    31.8 KB · Views: 51

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
slg47 said:
And what this has to do with my question, i said in a previous post it is no BRAINER that white is a leak.... Window if you may call it.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Garry with all due respect you are going around my question and not answering it.
Let me rephrase:

A gorgeous looking crushed ice diamond does not have to be red/blue on ASET rather it could be GREEN as the stone posted by RD does it ?

This is a simple question that does not require more than a straight answer that i did not see furnished yet.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have two more specimens to compare
1) a great example of a crushed ice cushion
2) the 60/60 of my dreams
I'll provide actual photos and video in varied lighting
I can also (yay) provide aset photos
I'll also have sarin scan the stones
I'll post the video photos and aset pics tomorrow. Scans on Tuesday

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doc_1 said:
Garry with all due respect you are going around my question and not answering it.
Let me rephrase:

A gorgeous looking crushed ice diamond does not have to be red/blue on ASET it could be GREEN as the stone posted by RD does it ?

This is a simple question that does not require more than a straight answer that i did not see furnished yet.

Because you do not know how to read and think.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond said:
I have two more specimens to compare
1) a great example of a crushed ice cushion
2) the 60/60 of my dreams
I'll provide actual photos and video in varied lighting
I can also (yay) provide aset photos
I'll also have sarin scan the stones
I'll post the video photos and aset pics tomorrow. Scans on Tuesday

WOW!
This is getting exciting....thank you RD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results